Find and replace #3

I have a table with 6 columns, A to F. Column A contains unique item
numbers. Column B contains descriptions of those items. Columns C-F
contain a random listing of the numbers from column A.

I want to replace the random listings of items in C-F with the
descriptions of the items from column B.

There are 1300 items. Can I do this without running 1300 Find and
Replaces?

I would be happy with four new columns added that have the descriptions
for the random items in C-F in the same order (not exactly a replace).

Thanks!

Al

--
ovid962
ovid962's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35452

Assuming that you have 100 different items (number in A and description
in B) A1:B100

use a vlookup in G1

=VLOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$B$100,2)

and just drag and fill to the same area size as C1:F??

--
Bearacade

Bearacade's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35016
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=552302

Then you can just copy the G1:J? range, and paste special (Values) over
C:F

--
Bearacade

Bearacade's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35016
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=552302

Answered in .misc newsgroup...........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"ovid962" wrote:

> I have a table with 6 columns, A to F. Column A contains unique item
> numbers. Column B contains descriptions of those items. Columns C-F
> contain a random listing of the numbers from column A.
>
> I want to replace the random listings of items in C-F with the
> descriptions of the items from column B.
>
> There are 1300 items. Can I do this without running 1300 Find and
> Replaces?
>
> I would be happy with four new columns added that have the descriptions
> for the random items in C-F in the same order (not exactly a replace).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Al
>

> --
> ovid962
> ovid962's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35452
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=552302

0
CLR (807)
6/15/2006 5:23:25 PM
=VLOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$B$1300,2,FALSE)

See if this formula helps.  you could put this in G1 and then copy it down
and across.
It should look at what is in C1 (which should be one of your random number
codes), then it will look at all of A1 to B1300 and find the number code
match and display the 2nd column over (which is the description).  Test it
out and see if it works for you.

"ovid962" wrote:

> I have a table with 6 columns, A to F. Column A contains unique item
> numbers. Column B contains descriptions of those items. Columns C-F
> contain a random listing of the numbers from column A.
>
> I want to replace the random listings of items in C-F with the
> descriptions of the items from column B.
>
> There are 1300 items. Can I do this without running 1300 Find and
> Replaces?
>
> I would be happy with four new columns added that have the descriptions
> for the random items in C-F in the same order (not exactly a replace).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Al
>

> --
> ovid962
> ovid962's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35452
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=552302

0
timm (30)

Having 3 .set files with different ISV's and custom form modifications
Currently we have 2 seperate SQL instances for 2 different environments. We want to be able to create one environment that has 3 companies, with one .set file with customizations, and alot of ISV's; one company with customizations and 2 ISV's; and create one new company with a plain vanilla GP only 2 ISV's no customizations; We currently have the 2 instances with the first 2 set up that way and now looking to consolidate into one environment with the company dropdowns together. Will this be a pain to manage or is it even possible?? ...

Can't find AutoRecover file in path specified in Options dialog.
I had a file open in Excel 2002 in which I made some changes, and then mistakenly closed without saving. But after making those changes, and before closing, it had remained open for over an hour. I'd like to recover those changes, and the path specified in the "AutoRecover save location:" text box in the Options - Save dialog tab is: C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\ However, I couldn't find a *.xls file in that directory. (The only thing in that folder is a file named Excel10.xlb and another folder named XLSTART). I don'...

HELP: Outlook downloads 3,4, now 5 copies of each email
I make Outlook 2000 use a Outlook.pst file on a separate hard disk instead of the usual C:\Documents & Settings\ folder. Everything is fine. I also TICK "Leave copy of message on server" so I always have a backup copy. Now when i format my PC and reinstall Windows & Outlook, I point to my D:\Outlook.pst and it starts using it. Then all of a sudden it starts downloading ALL my emails again. If I format my PC once again and reinstall Windows & Outlook, then Outlook starts downloading ALL my emails TWICE (there's 2 copies of each email downloaded, plus the copy I...

what does the outline tool icon look like and how do I find it?
I have spent hours trying to do a table of contents following the 2003 Word directions. No luck. Can anyone give me step-by-step directions. Every time I hit the ok in the table of contents box, it comes back "can't find ...." Now what? I can't find the outline icon on my toolbar. What does it look like? I am a novice, so please bear with me. See http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html for instructions you can follow. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Professo...

Finding Accounts with no related Contacts CRM 3.0
Hi, I am trying to find all accounts where there are no related contacts but cannot work out the advanced find syntax to do this. I presume I am just missing something obvious. any ideas. Thanks Justin Hi Justin, You are not missing anything. CRM does not support a NOT operator in queries. You can easily search for accounts that do have at least one contact, but the opposite does not work. The only workaround is a report or some kind of server task (service, plug-in, workflow) setting a count attribute in an account whenever a contact is assigned or removed from an account, so that y...

convert month text (MAR) to month number (3)
I am trying to work with a data set that unfortunately has spit out all the dates in a text format - i.e. 03/01/2009 is MAR 3 2009. Is there a way to convert that text date to an actual date format? Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200912/1 Debug.Print CDate("MAR 3 2009") = 3/3/2009 One problem with the CDate function is that it will bomb out on things that can't be evaluated as a date. Therefore you may want to use the IsDate fun...

Replacing signed drivers during development
I have just added a certificate to my driver. Will it be possible to replace this driver manually during the development process? It will be much easier if I can just replace the file and skip the entire driver installation process. I realize I could also use F8 during the boot process, but I am hoping that my familiar method will still work. > I have just added a certificate to my driver. Will it be possible to replace > this driver manually during the development process? kdfiles in windbg is a very efficient way to do this. After the initial successful install, ju...

Links not working #3
The links in my email are not working, not opening a browser and showing any web sites. Can anyone help, What version of Outlook? "Richard" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1b8a01c3f98a$e280c9c0$3501280a@phx.gbl... > The links in my email are not working, not opening a > browser and showing any web sites. Can anyone help, Hi, Check the following link : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;177054 This applies for both Outlook and Outlook Express. Hope this helps !!! Regards, Sudharson.AN "Richard" <an...

Find field in CRM and Case search in CRM
hey: I have a ton of cases with emails attached/regarding each case individually. How can we search these cases for all cases that have a common element, for example: I want to search all my cases for the word "disconnect" to see if it appears ANYWHERE in the case, email, title, or part of this case. Anyone know how I can do this? FYI: Building a specialized advanced find won't work because I need the ability to search ANY word -- today I want Disconnect tomorrow, latency, etc... Actually, an Advanced Find might be a good way to go, because you can save your Advanced F...

Need help in data copying. #3
Thanks Mr. Dave. It was really helpful Regards Tom -- SMIL ----------------------------------------------------------------------- SMILE's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=488 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=25956 ...

Landscape Printing #3
Yes. We have the latest drivers. I installed this printer 3 weeks ago, and downloaded drivers from hp.com. It is network printer installed on W2K server and shared. Used by 15 users all running XP Pro. This problem is only with 2 workstations, but they are same hardware+installed in same way and same time like all workstations. What else can be wrong? ...

CRM 3.0 Exchange Router fills event log with errors
I've installed CRM 3.0 Exchange router according to Microsoft's documentation and the suggestions I found on this mailbox. However, the service is not working. The error message in the Event Viewer is Microsoft.Crm.Tools.ExchangeConnectorService.ExchangeSinkServiceException: Opening the inbox folder of mailbox: crm failed (System.InvalidCastException: No such interface supported at ADODB.RecordClass.Open(Object Source, Object ActiveConnection, ConnectModeEnum Mode, RecordCreateOptionsEnum CreateOptions, RecordOpenOptionsEnum Options, String UserName, String Password) at M...

Finding Archieved Emails
I have clicked to accept achived/copmpact emails and can no longer find some of my old emails. Please can you tell me where they are stored on my PC and how to access them again. I am on Vista with Windows mail. Many thanks, -- Paul Windows Mail keeps the raw message files in the following directory: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Local Folders\... =20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:8...

Find Pictures and Hyperlink
I do a lot of stuff with pictures and hyperlinking them in excel. I have a column labled picture ID number, which, for example, would have "1898" in a cell and the filename of the picture would be "IMG_1898." I was wondering if there is a way of writing a function or something in which the program searches for the picture I want based on the number in that column, without me having to find the picture myself and hyperlink it. It would make things a lot faster for me if I could find a quicker way to do this. Like this: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.ht...

Where can I find a user's home directory in sbs 2003
Hi there, I want to remove some user from the Active Directory. Before I do that I would like to check on the home directory first. Where can I find the 'Home directory' please. Many thanks, Exchange doesn't have any such "home directory". -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Smiley" <firework123@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:epvr3h$hl4$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk... > Hi there, > > I want to remove some user from the Active Directory. Before I do that I > would like to ...

X-axis labels #3
Given a data set from 1983 to 2000, I would like the x-axis labels to be 1985, 1990, 1995, 2000. I know how to make Excel only show every 5th year, but I don't know how to make it start with 1985 rather than 1983 without deleting the 1983 and 1984 data points. You have posted the same question twice, so I guess you haven't got your answer yet. First, you absolutely do not have to delete your data. Second, we need to be sure what type of chart you are using. Are you using a line chart or an XY chart? I suggest an XY chart. To change the X axis scale for an XY chart, double cl...

ListCtrl #3
Hi, I have an owner drawn listctrl. I need to be able to split it for scrolling like Excel does.... You know the sort of thing - I want to lock column 1 in place and scroll the rest. I can get close with 2 listctrls but synching the scolling is too messy. And I want to go on to include more split column/rows if possible - assuming I can crack this one of course. Any thoughts.... Thanks Martin I would suggest using the MSFlexGrid ActiveX control which is included with Visual C++. If that doesn't work I would suggest taking alot of CodeProject.com and codeguru.com for some of these c...

SEARCH and FIND and V.LOOKUP combined
Hi... I wonder... I am using the v.lookup function in a cell. But the text in the matrix and the cell with the lookup value not always are exactly the same. Ex; "Hull" and "Hull City" or "dumb" in "Old dumb fart" I have found that I can use SEARCH or SEARCHB to find a word in a text string. How do I use SEARCH in combination that with the v.lookup function in a formula? -- Vennlig hilsen �yvind Granberg tresfjording@live.no www.tresfjording.com Or do I use MID or MIDB? How do I combine that one with v.lookup? -- Vennlig hilsen �yvind Gra...

Paste a value into "Find What"
I have a work book with data in several worksheets and one main sheet that contains all the data. Column A contains an id number. I want to record a macro that deletes a row from one worksheet, finds the corresponding row and deletes it from the main sheet, then pastes it into a sheet that contains all the deletions. How can I copy the value in column A and paste it into the "Find What" box, or is there another way to do it? I'm using Excel 2002. You've probably got something like FindWhat = "value"; edit that part of the ..Find method statement to instead r...

Office XP Service Pack 3 Install Failure
error code 0x8024002D Auto update informed me of an update downloaded - but failed to install, asking for a Office XP Business CD it required. I don't have Business Office software on my computer, so wondering why it's trying to update it. Also, even with install failure of this update, now my long standing excel spreadsheet files won't open; seem to be looking for this update..... Help? leal1928 wrote: > error code 0x8024002D > Auto update informed me of an update downloaded - but failed to > install, asking for a Office XP Business CD it required. I don'...

cost basis #3
I have been tracking the cost basis for investments for individual accounts but when using the portfolio view that includes all securities in each portfolio - the cost basis is not included for some stocks. I am puzzled? In microsoft.public.money, Jeff wrote: >I have been tracking the cost basis for investments for individual accounts >but when using the portfolio view that includes all securities in each >portfolio - the cost basis is not included for some stocks. I am puzzled? > You don't state what program you are using. Look at the investment transactions for those ...

Exchange 2007 and SharePoint 3.0
I folks, we are starting a new migration from UNIX to Exchange 2007 system. I have read on many blog who 2007 is the last version of Exchange that support Public folder and Microsoft suggest using Windows SharePoint v3.0 for collaboration. In our test the contact inserted in WindowsSharePoint are READONLY in Outlook 2003. How I can created a shared outlook contact list who are used in all my organization without using public folder? there are some document about SharePoint and Exchange integration? Thanks, Lorenzo Soncini Trento - Italy You can create Contacts in Active Directory - thes...

Protecting Multiple Sheets #3
Hi I have a workbook with 60 sheets in it. I need to protect 52 sheets only. Is there a way I can do this collectively instead of each one individaully?? Cheers -- All help much appreciated. Thanks Hi one way is to run the following code: --- Sub ProtectAll() For Each ws In Sheets ws.Protect ("pwd") Next Set sh = ActiveSheet varr = Array("Sheet1", "sheet3") For i = LBound(varr) To UBound(varr) With Worksheets(varr(i)) .Activate .Unprotect ("pwd") End With Next sh.Activate End Sub -- in t...

FYI: Microsoft Publisher Users
http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/ There is a free download for Windows users (and Mac) which weighs in at 57mb. This is Microsoft's latest investment in a vector-based illustration and graphics tool. I have toyed with it today and can honestly say that this is an EXCELLENT product (which is currently under development by Microsoft (they bought out the Creature House Expression product). The output works very nicely in Publisher (except the native file format is not compatible). It has Export as PDF! ;-) I have done some quick drawings and placed them in Publisher in *.eps fo...

RMS 1.3 should let me sort items on work orders/ quotes
I would like to sort items on work order after they have been entered. If I create a work order by grouping the items and a customer wants to add an item or take one away, it would be so much more convenient to keep everything together. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in t...