faster way of data entry

I would like to learn how to enter data on excel faster. I have a large
datasheet, my samples are in "rows" while the tests are in "columns". The
samples are arranged in numerical order but when I'm testing them, I group
them into fixed groups of around 90-100 members. The members of these groups
are randomly arranged. I get my result one group at a time. And I conduct
different tests on each fixed group. I just score the test as normal or
abnormal.
For example, I'm testing test A on goup 1 which is a fixed group of 90
members and the result is normal for all, I have to go through my samples
numbered 001-900's to score each member of group 1 (randomly arranged) as
normal. I don't want to sort my samples according to the fixed groups because
I want to preserve the numerical order of the samples as much as possible. Is
there a way to enter my data faster without rearranging the samples?
Thanks.

0
JD1 (109)

Sounds like perhaps a "Named Range" might be what you're looking for.

See if this old post explains it well enough.

http://tinyurl.com/39vzv

--
HTH,

RD

"jd" <jd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I would like to learn how to enter data on excel faster. I have a large
> datasheet, my samples are in "rows" while the tests are in "columns". The
> samples are arranged in numerical order but when I'm testing them, I group
> them into fixed groups of around 90-100 members. The members of these
groups
> are randomly arranged. I get my result one group at a time. And I conduct
> different tests on each fixed group. I just score the test as normal or
> abnormal.
> For example, I'm testing test A on goup 1 which is a fixed group of 90
> members and the result is normal for all, I have to go through my samples
> numbered 001-900's to score each member of group 1 (randomly arranged) as
> normal. I don't want to sort my samples according to the fixed groups
because
> I want to preserve the numerical order of the samples as much as possible.
Is
> there a way to enter my data faster without rearranging the samples?
> Thanks.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
8/10/2006 4:02:16 AM
If you introduce a column called Group, then you can list down this
column codes such as A, B, C etc to correspond with your groups of
90-100. Apply autofilter to this column, so that if you are entering
data for group B, say, then these rows are the only ones you see on
screen.

You could enter "N" for normal against the first member of this group
(with the filter applied), then copy down the visible cells - this will
only be copied to the cells which are displayed.

Hope this helps.

Pete

jd wrote:
> I would like to learn how to enter data on excel faster. I have a large
> datasheet, my samples are in "rows" while the tests are in "columns". The
> samples are arranged in numerical order but when I'm testing them, I group
> them into fixed groups of around 90-100 members. The members of these groups
> are randomly arranged. I get my result one group at a time. And I conduct
> different tests on each fixed group. I just score the test as normal or
> abnormal.
> For example, I'm testing test A on goup 1 which is a fixed group of 90
> members and the result is normal for all, I have to go through my samples
> numbered 001-900's to score each member of group 1 (randomly arranged) as
> normal. I don't want to sort my samples according to the fixed groups because
> I want to preserve the numerical order of the samples as much as possible. Is
> there a way to enter my data faster without rearranging the samples?
> Thanks.

0
pashurst (2576)
8/10/2006 11:00:19 AM
Thanks Radgyer and Pete. I tried both "named range" and "auto filter" and I
think auto filter is best for my data. I can work faster now.

"Pete_UK" wrote:

> If you introduce a column called Group, then you can list down this
> column codes such as A, B, C etc to correspond with your groups of
> 90-100. Apply autofilter to this column, so that if you are entering
> data for group B, say, then these rows are the only ones you see on
> screen.
>
> You could enter "N" for normal against the first member of this group
> (with the filter applied), then copy down the visible cells - this will
> only be copied to the cells which are displayed.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> jd wrote:
> > I would like to learn how to enter data on excel faster. I have a large
> > datasheet, my samples are in "rows" while the tests are in "columns". The
> > samples are arranged in numerical order but when I'm testing them, I group
> > them into fixed groups of around 90-100 members. The members of these groups
> > are randomly arranged. I get my result one group at a time. And I conduct
> > different tests on each fixed group. I just score the test as normal or
> > abnormal.
> > For example, I'm testing test A on goup 1 which is a fixed group of 90
> > members and the result is normal for all, I have to go through my samples
> > numbered 001-900's to score each member of group 1 (randomly arranged) as
> > normal. I don't want to sort my samples according to the fixed groups because
> > I want to preserve the numerical order of the samples as much as possible. Is
> > there a way to enter my data faster without rearranging the samples?
> > Thanks.

0
JD1 (109)
8/11/2006 10:49:01 PM
Well, it's Friday night here - don't work too hard!!

Thanks for feeding back.

Pete

jd wrote:
> Thanks Radgyer and Pete. I tried both "named range" and "auto filter" and I
> think auto filter is best for my data. I can work faster now.
>

> "Pete_UK" wrote:
>
> > If you introduce a column called Group, then you can list down this
> > column codes such as A, B, C etc to correspond with your groups of
> > 90-100. Apply autofilter to this column, so that if you are entering
> > data for group B, say, then these rows are the only ones you see on
> > screen.
> >
> > You could enter "N" for normal against the first member of this group
> > (with the filter applied), then copy down the visible cells - this will
> > only be copied to the cells which are displayed.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Pete
> >
> > jd wrote:
> > > I would like to learn how to enter data on excel faster. I have a large
> > > datasheet, my samples are in "rows" while the tests are in "columns". The
> > > samples are arranged in numerical order but when I'm testing them, I group
> > > them into fixed groups of around 90-100 members. The members of these groups
> > > are randomly arranged. I get my result one group at a time. And I conduct
> > > different tests on each fixed group. I just score the test as normal or
> > > abnormal.
> > > For example, I'm testing test A on goup 1 which is a fixed group of 90
> > > members and the result is normal for all, I have to go through my samples
> > > numbered 001-900's to score each member of group 1 (randomly arranged) as
> > > normal. I don't want to sort my samples according to the fixed groups because
> > > I want to preserve the numerical order of the samples as much as possible. Is
> > > there a way to enter my data faster without rearranging the samples?
> > > Thanks.

0
pashurst (2576)

EXCEL tabular data extract
Hi all! Hi have a excel file with the next kind of data: T�TULO MINORISTA NOMBRE XXXXXXXXX CENT./SUC. RRRRRRRR DIRECCI�N TTTTTTTT LOCALIDAD VVVVVVVVVVV PROVINCIA SSSSSSSSSSS C.P. 11111 TEL�FONO 4323543543654364 FAX 435435454543543543 T�TULO MINORISTA NOMBRE XXXXXXXXX CENT./SUC. RRRRRRRR DIRECCI�N TTTTTTTT LOCALIDAD VVVVVVVVVVV PROVINCIA SSSSSSSSSSS C.P. 11111 TEL�FONO 4323543543654364 FAX 435435454543543543 I want to extract all the faxes from that table, bu the problem is that all...

how do i create an office data connection file
i want to call a parameterized data connection. i want to eventually put this in office sharepoint server 2007's data connection library. every time i open the connection file i have successfully created that connects to the db, it want me to pick a table. i can cancel out of that and change it to sql and say to use a procedure, but i can't save this file, and the "Edit Query..." and "Parameters..." buttons are disabled so i can't set parameters. why is it so hard to work with this thing? thanks ...

Pivot Table Source Data
I have an existing Pivot Table that usually updates daily, albeit this relies someone in the office refreshing the data. Anyway we seem to have missed one days data and thought we would be clever and just include the days missing data back into the source data. In effect we are putting the 8th September data between the 7th and the 9th. However no matter what we do the data from the 8th ends up as the last column in the pivot table. Are we missing something really simple here or has my brain turned to mush? thanks for the help in advance. Bryan P.S I also tried creating a dynamic range but ...

Sales Distribution Entry table
Can someone point me at the table that stores the data for the Sales Distribution Entry window? Thanks. On Feb 27, 10:44=A0am, ALGP <gpjef...@gmail.com> wrote: > Can someone point me at the table that stores the data for the Sales > Distribution Entry window? > > Thanks. SOP10102 ...

Stripping Blank Characters form Imported Data
I am trying to verify 2 worksheets full of data. One has been imported from Visual Basic and the other from Business Object. The Business object sheet, brings over the entire field not just the charaters needed. Example: For the city field there are 50 characters available. If you use Nashville, the Business Object brings over 50 characters where the Visual Basic brings over 9. When trying to find descrepancies, this brings back a false positive if the city is the same. Is there a way to manipulate that data when it is sent to Excel? The easiest way to deal with this would be to find...

Find both matched and unmatched entries
Hi, I have two tables that I wish to find: 1) find matched data - copy that into a separate table 2) find unmatched data - copy that data into a separate table Can I achieve the above results with one query? I have three fields in each table that I would like to compare against: Client Data Status Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated... Cheers, GLT Hi Yes you can use an append query to do this quite simple BUT you would end up with the same data in 2 tables which be a mistake. Maybe you could post some more details of what you are trying to do (the end result) a...

Restricting input box entries to integers
Dear Experts: below macro applies a user-defined paragraph style to rows using an input box. The macro is running fine. But the input box also allows for entries such as 7,2 (comma because I live in Germany). How do I have to re-write the code to only allow integers as input box entries? Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. Regards, Andreas Sub Tbl_BodyStyle() Dim oRng As Word.Range Dim oTbl As Word.Table Dim AskRowNumber As String Dim blnAsk As Boolean If Not Selection.Information(wdWithInTable) Then MsgBox "Please place the cursor...

Data Tables
In Excel 2000, must data tables (Data\Tables...) always be located on the same worksheet tab as the source data? I want to put summary tables into a separate worksheet (tab), but Excel won't let me do that. Steve Looks that way, at least in Excel97 (my ver) But we could always mirror the data tables (or parts thereof) elsewhere (eg: another sheet) via simple link formulas -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "Steve D" <sdrenker_(you_know_what_here)_media.sj.nec.com> wrote in message news:ufhMsZfyFHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP10....

Data Validation problem #5
hi I think that is a different solution entirely - in that example yo gave me it is a simple case of choosing one list and that then sets th range for list 2, however the second set of lists are all individual my requirement is that the validation picks the required items out o just ONE list, whereas in the example you needed to maintain individua lists each of which was dependant on the first selection -- moosife ----------------------------------------------------------------------- moosifer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1590 View this threa...

master list for auto complete data?
Is it possible to have a master list, in my case it's of names, in a workbook that excel will use for auto complete data for that workbook? Thanks Hi Tangy Go to "Tools>Auto Correct Options", select the "Auto Correct" tab and enter the abbreviated items and full names for those items you want Excel to replace. Ensure the relevant boxes are ticked. -- XL2002 Regards William willwest22@yahoo.com "Tangy" <t a n g y@rogers.com> wrote in message news:_OqdnbKPa7IShELcRVn-jQ@rogers.com... | Is it possible to have a master list, in my case it'...

delete data #2
Hello, we have CRM v3 installed in a test evironment. we have added test data for customers, products. we have created oppurtunities to invoices. we would like to delete all of this data. is there a way to do it without uninsalling and reinstalling the software? cheers, Michael. Try to delete via the UI from Advanced Find. For some of the object (Order, Invoices, Quote, etc.), depending on status some of these records cannot be deleted. Frank Lee, Microsoft CRM MVP http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com http://www.workopia.com/Links.htmTry "Michael P. Lindekugel" wrote:...

Merge data
..Net 2003 C# I get xml from a sql database pull. I put the data into a XMLDomDocument and then the user changes it. I now need to update the database correctly. I need to be able to get the data back correctly including add, change and delete to the original data. When I pull the data from the db, I store a copy in a Dataset. So I end up with a Dataset (original data) and an XML DOM Document with the changed data. I would appreciate knowing how to do this correctly. I understand that the DataSet.Merge does not work for some of this. Is there an example? thank you If you keep the dat...

Formatting number in Data Table
I am using Excel 2007. I have a spreadsheet that the figures can be negative or positve. I have formatted the cells with this custom format $#,##0;[Red]$-#,##0. On the spreadsheet the format works fine. I created a chart from the data. I have a data table at the bottom of the chart. The problem is that the format from the spreadsheet is not reflected in the data table. When I click on Format Data Table, there is no option for number formatting. There is a number formatting option available when i click Format Axis, but this doesn't change it, because the actual axis is Text. Is th...

Copying Data From SQL Into Excel
When I copy a range of data from SQL and paste it into Excel, the data doesn't appear to be available for formulas - in this case a VLOOKUP formula. However, once I click in the formula bar (as if to edit the data) then hit "return" the data is "magically" available for the VLOOKUP formula. It seems to me to be a format problem, but changing the format of the data doesn't help. Could this be related to similar issues when copying data from Access into Excel? Are there any workarounds? It sounds similar to the Access problem. Instead of pasting, you can ...

Data from non-adjacent cells as input for Linest
Hi, I would like to use data as input for Linest that is in the following cells: known y: A1 to A3, A10 to A12 known x: B1 to B3, B10 to B12 I have the feeling that this is almost answered in the following posts, but I do not understand it: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/fe4463f591797f44/4061a15313417929?lnk=gst&q=linest+#4061a15313417929 Regards, David ...

How do I limit labels in chart legend to only a portion of data?
I am hoping to get a chart that includes four lines of data, but with only two of the line labels for the data showing up in the chart legend. The two lines that I want excluded are just straight bars that will include a text box within the chart as their label, but I have run into problems with simply slapping a line on the chart as it does not move around when we scale up or down the two axes. Is there a way to get the legend to only show the label identifiers with only the two sets of data that I want shown? Thank you Hi, The legend displays an entry for each series in the chart....

copy and match data from one worksheet into another via script?
Hi all I have two worksheets 2 columns each The first sheet has ID and Name Column for example: Code ------------------- ID[/B] NAM 193948 Michael 684588 John 535279 Luke 098734 Matthe ------------------- my 2nd sheet Code ------------------- ID [B]NAM Michael John Luke Matthe ------------------- How do i use the first sheet to match up the names on the 2nd sheet and ultimately copy the ID numbers onto the 2nd sheet? This is just a simplified example. There are thousands of entries. Thank you if you have ...

How do I arrange entries in a column alphabetically
I have typed a list of entries in a column in Excel 2003 and now I want to list them alphabetically. Any ideas how I do this? Select the column, go to Data > Sort, and sort ascending. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I have typed a list of entries in a column in Excel 2003 and now I want to >list them alphabetically. Any ideas how I do this? >. > ...

Re: Is there a way to HIDE a row based on a value of a cell ?
Hi Reddance, Try instead: Sub Tester() Dim rng As Range Dim i As Long If LCase(Sheets("Ctrl").Range("A1").Value) _ <> "yes" Then Exit Sub End If With Sheets("ToPrint") For i = 5 To .UsedRange.Rows.Count Step 2 If Not rng Is Nothing Then Set rng = Union(rng, .Cells(i, "A")) Else Set rng = .Cells(i, "A") End If Next i End With If Not rng Is Nothing Then rng.EntireRow.Hidden = True End If ...

Is there a way to disconnect a session and then resume it?
I want to run some long term commands in powershell session on server, and don't want to be connected to it all the time. So how to disconnect a session but not end it, and then reconnect it to check if the jobs are finished? Or other ways to finish similar tasks? Thanks all With PowerShell v2, you *must* leave the "control console" running. You cannot reconnect to a remote session once you close the console that started that remote session. Marco "hayate" <hayatelee@gmail.com> wrote in message news:5c1501f0-4613-4693-b0e8-8d42b61c3a8a@v2...

how to deal with duplicate data rows
I need to interface with a program that generates a .csv file with row of data. It generates 2 or more rows for each instance uniquely identified by the docket/page combination Example: last first bank trustee docket page smith john ny bank (blank field) 12235 8907 (blank field) (blank field) cal western 12235 8907 smith janet ny bank (blank field) 12235 8907 I need to consolidate all three lines into one row by concating field that contain different data (first name column) and columns with blan spaces to look like the ...

Merge & Sort Dynamic Lists w/ Data Validation
First off, let me say thanks to the Excel Usenet community that has helped me over and over through these newsgroups. You are phenomenal. Question 1: I need to create a BOTH box that will dynamically pull names from both the "Chicago Office" & "Seattle Office" columns in my sheet. It is extremely preferable to do this without VB Script if possible to avoid the security warnings on opening the sheet. (Our IT department will not budge on this..) Detail: I have two lists of employees. Column A lists the Chicago Office employees. Column B lists the Seattle Office employee...

Importing data from an excel file
I have an excel file with contact data for customers. Now I want to import it into CRM 3.0. I use the guide but I am stuck at the manual import i.e. populate CDF at step 5 in the data migration framework application. Do I have to go to the SQL server and select the database and import into the contacts table? I am really sorry for the newbie question.. /Jonas Hi Jonas, You will indeed need to populate the CDF tables. You can do this via several ways of which using SSIS is my personal favorite. Hope this helps, -- Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP Avanade Netherlands http://ronaldlemmen.blog...

Junk E-mail folder
Is it possible to configure the Junk E-mail folder to automatically and permanently delete items older than 30 days? Thanks. You can use the AutoArchiving to do that. Right click on the folder, choose Properties and go to the AutoArchive tab "Jaycee" <jaycee131973@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%232IGo%238NGHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to configure the Junk E-mail folder to automatically and > permanently delete items older than 30 days? ...

Passing data to DLL problem
Hi, my application uses a callback function in a dll. This function must notify the main application when it is called, through a SendMessage api call. So i've created a global variable in the dll, named parent: HWND parent; LRESULT CALLBACK MyFunction(...........) { ......................... SendMessage(parent, ....................); } in the main application i set the dll variable: HWND * wnd; wnd = (HWND *) GetProcAddress(hinstDLL, "parent"); *wnd = hWnd; this works fine if i use the parent variable it in a normal dll function, but in the callback MyFunction parent resu...