Extracting the data according the number of cell (at specific range) #2

I have a minor Excel formula problem.

In my example has following data, cell A5 shows "apple", A6 shows "salt", A7
shows "sugar" and A8 shows "fish".  On another hand, cell B3 is the
"criteria" data showing 3.  My question is to form an Excel formula which can
extract the data from cell "A1" and then extract the 3rd data, which is
"sugar" (that is the result I want).

Althought the formula is counting from A1, but the excel formula know the
data after "apple" and "salt" is "sugar" (cell from A1 to A4 is empty),
because "sugar" is located on the 3rd in row!

I know this Excel formula, =INDIRECT("A"&B3), is working very perfect if I
want to scan the data in the WHOLE col A.  How about if I have a situation
which the data ONLY located from A3 to A8, how to adjust the formula in order
it can accurately scan the data?

Please advice and thanks,
Wilchong

wilchong

excel database 25,000 plus names #2
I am working with a database i set up in excel. It has over 25,000 names, total size of file is 274mb. If i transfer all my data from an excel database to access, will i work faster. Right now it takes forever to open and save. I am told it is not my computer. any tips??? -- mikedipaol ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikedipaola's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3568 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55465 ...

blank cell instead of x
I need a formula to have a blank cell instead of a "x" eg: result should be: aa ab ac ad ae af ag ah ai aj ak al am an ao 2 6 3 6 2 5 17 20 15 205 18 6 3 6 2x 5 3 1 5 7 19 12 133 1 5 7x the formula i used is: =IF(AF2>=42,AA2&""&"x",IF(AF2="","",AA2)) on row 3 there are blank cells (null string contains formulas ) when I apply the formu...

More Columns #2

Find and Replace Footnote Numbering
I often have documents where I need to put formatting before or after the footnote number for every footnote, often for hundreds of footnotes...anyone know how I can do this in one shot? I know I can specify ^f in find and replace, but only in the find portion...it gives an error if you put it in replace. ...

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Linking files 2 ways

Problem with Range

data sort

Goal Seek #2

default values in a cell

Pulling data from separate tabs

random number generator
Hey is there a way to generate random numbers like you would for a draft. In other words, i have numbers 1 through 10 and generate a random order for those? Use the RAND() function. If 1-10 are in A1:A10, enter =RAND() in cell B1 and copy it down through B10. Recalc (F9), then sort by column B. Hope this helps, Hutch "pat67" wrote: > Hey is there a way to generate random numbers like you would for a > draft. In other words, i have numbers 1 through 10 and generate a > random order for those? > . > You would have to generate 10 random numbers ...

Setting a dynamic range in a formula

Contacts in Exchange #2

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

predict future data