Extract numbers from cell with Text and Numbers

Hello All,

I hope someone can help.

I have a column of cells.  Each cell contains some text, and then a
number in parenthases, then a comma, and then come text, and then a
number in parenthases,  This repeats probably as many as 5 times,
though some cells have fewer then 5.  I want to somehow, if possible,
extract JUST THE NUMBERS.  If I can automatically get a total so that I
can average the total (dividing by a number in another column, but in
the same row as the numbers extracted) that would be great.  I am most
concerned with not having to manually enter the numbers again.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate your help
tremendously.

Michael

--
wiredwrx
wiredwrx's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21145

A 3 step solution,

1. select the column, do data>text to columns, select delimited, click next,
check commas as delimiter and other and in other put a left parenthesis,
click finish.

2. Select the new range and do ctrl + H, in the find what put a right
parenthesis, leave replace with blank and click replace all.

3. While range is still selected press F5, click special, check constants
but uncheck everything but numbers, click OK, press Ctrl + C, go to a new
page and do edit>paste special and select transpose

Do your averaging

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"wiredwrx" <wiredwrx.26haqz_1145394904.6628@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:wiredwrx.26haqz_1145394904.6628@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hello All,
>
> I hope someone can help.
>
> I have a column of cells.  Each cell contains some text, and then a
> number in parenthases, then a comma, and then come text, and then a
> number in parenthases,  This repeats probably as many as 5 times,
> though some cells have fewer then 5.  I want to somehow, if possible,
> extract JUST THE NUMBERS.  If I can automatically get a total so that I
> can average the total (dividing by a number in another column, but in
> the same row as the numbers extracted) that would be great.  I am most
> concerned with not having to manually enter the numbers again.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate your help
> tremendously.
>
> Michael
>

> --
> wiredwrx
> wiredwrx's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21145
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=533935

0
Peo
4/18/2006 9:27:15 PM
Thanks for the help and the quick response.  I will try that.

Michael

--
wiredwrx
wiredwrx's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21145
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=533935

If you do this on a regular basis and this solution works for you then you
can record a macro while doing it the next time, put it in the personal
macro workbook and run the macro

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"wiredwrx" <wiredwrx.26hc50_1145396703.2558@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:wiredwrx.26hc50_1145396703.2558@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Thanks for the help and the quick response.  I will try that.
>
> Michael
>

> --
> wiredwrx
> wiredwrx's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21145
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=533935

0
Peo

number rounding in MS Excel

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Single click selects multiple cells

Phone Number Filtering

Fractions Number format

Referencing cells across sheets

How to unlock locked cells by MACRO?!

Roman and Arabic numbers in SEQ
Running 2003 on XP. Got a doc that has SEQ numbering. The code is: ARTICLE{seq level0\h\r0}{seq level1\h\r0} etc. to level 7 and the last entry is {seq level0\r1\*ROMAN) This displays ARTICLE I The next level down is has this code: {seq level0\c\*ROMAN}.{seq level1\r1 \*arabic} This displays as : I.1, with numbers until article five displaying as V.1, V.2, etc. I want it to display as 1.1, 1.2, etc. I tried replacing the ROMAN with arabic, but it didn't change anything. I have spent hours trying to figure this out. Using reveal formating and styles, they are no styles...

Invoice Numbers 10-27-07

Rounding Numbers #3

parameter for text

Excel Text Function (Right, Left)

Auto calc YTD Numbers
Cells A1:L1 equal "Jan" thru "Dec". M1 equals "YTD". Cells A2:L2 equal numeric values. If you haven't guessed it already, I would like M2 to sum all the values A2:L2 for those months previous and including the current month (but not future months). What is the best way for going about this Here are 2 ways =SUM(OFFSET($A$2,,,,MATCH(TEXT(TODAY(),"mmm"),$A$1:$L$1,0))) or =SUM(OFFSET($A$2,,,,MONTH(TODAY()))) hopefully your computer's clock is accurate -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjo...

Sum a group of numbers
When I first started using Excel, if I had a bunch of different totals on a worksheet, I could hold down the right mouse button and cover the group I wanted to add. The sum of these numbers would appear on the bottom of either the worksheet or a task bar. I have lost the ability to do this. Or I have lost the task bar. How do I get it back? Hi Barbie, That would be the status bar. If it is not showing, go to View>Status Bar to turn it on. If the sum function is still not showing, right click anywhere on the status bar and select which option you want. HTH Martin "Barbie...

Entering More than 15 numbers
I'm trying to import numbers that are 25 characters in length. When I do this (or even if I enter over the 15 character limit) I get an overflow number. How do I enter or import numbers greater than 15 digits and have it display the entire number. I am using Office XP. precede with an apostrophe to get text, Excel's limit for numbers is 15 digits precision -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:308101c428be$93500a10$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I'm trying to import numbers that are 25 characters in > lengt...