Excel subtotals, add a sort option, and BOLD the function answers

love using the subtotal option.  sometimes forget to sort the list first,
would be nice to have a sort option or reminder.  Also when subtotals are
applied, the heading or titles for the subtotal is BOLD, the entire line that
was added should be bold, or have options to automatically add borders

if you'ld like to email microsoft with your comments the email address is
mswish@microsoft.com

however, if you're asking how can the whole line go bold when using
subtotals  - conditional formatting is often used to achieve this.  Post
back if you'ld like more details

Cheers
JulieD

"crescent97526" <crescent97526@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> love using the subtotal option.  sometimes forget to sort the list first,
> would be nice to have a sort option or reminder.  Also when subtotals are
> applied, the heading or titles for the subtotal is BOLD, the entire line
> that
> was added should be bold, or have options to automatically add borders

0
JulieD1 (2295)
2/8/2005 2:44:25 PM
I'd like more details on how to acheive this with conditional formatting.
Thanks in advance.
Rmort

"JulieD" wrote:

> if you'ld like to email microsoft with your comments the email address is
> mswish@microsoft.com
>
> however, if you're asking how can the whole line go bold when using
> subtotals  - conditional formatting is often used to achieve this.  Post
> back if you'ld like more details
>
> Cheers
> JulieD
>
> "crescent97526" <crescent97526@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > love using the subtotal option.  sometimes forget to sort the list first,
> > would be nice to have a sort option or reminder.  Also when subtotals are
> > applied, the heading or titles for the subtotal is BOLD, the entire line
> > that
> > was added should be bold, or have options to automatically add borders

0
RMort (11)
12/21/2005 3:57:03 PM
Select the cells with numbers in, let's say starting at A1, and in
Data>Conditional Formatting change Condition 1 to Formula Is, add this
formula

=ISNUMBER(FIND("Total",A1))

and set the Bold format via the Format button.

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"RMort" <RMort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'd like more details on how to acheive this with conditional formatting.
> Thanks in advance.
> Rmort
>
> "JulieD" wrote:
>
> > if you'ld like to email microsoft with your comments the email address
is
> > mswish@microsoft.com
> >
> > however, if you're asking how can the whole line go bold when using
> > subtotals  - conditional formatting is often used to achieve this.  Post
> > back if you'ld like more details
> >
> > Cheers
> > JulieD
> >
> > "crescent97526" <crescent97526@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > > love using the subtotal option.  sometimes forget to sort the list
first,
> > > would be nice to have a sort option or reminder.  Also when subtotals
are
> > > applied, the heading or titles for the subtotal is BOLD, the entire
line
> > > that
> > > was added should be bold, or have options to automatically add borders

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
12/21/2005 4:18:34 PM
Great! that worked like charm!
Thanks for the help!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Select the cells with numbers in, let's say starting at A1, and in
> Data>Conditional Formatting change Condition 1 to Formula Is, add this
> formula
>
> =ISNUMBER(FIND("Total",A1))
>
> and set the Bold format via the Format button.
>
> --
>  HTH
>
> Bob Phillips

> "RMort" <RMort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'd like more details on how to acheive this with conditional formatting.
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Rmort
> >
> > "JulieD" wrote:
> >
> > > if you'ld like to email microsoft with your comments the email address
> is
> > > mswish@microsoft.com
> > >
> > > however, if you're asking how can the whole line go bold when using
> > > subtotals  - conditional formatting is often used to achieve this.  Post
> > > back if you'ld like more details
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > JulieD
> > >
> > > "crescent97526" <crescent97526@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> first,
> are
> line

0
RMort (11)

Outlook Tool Bar In Excel Spreadsheet
Up with the tool bars there an outlook tool bar with the to, from, etc. I cannot get rid of it. It does not appear as a toolbar under view. Hi KathyG Press the mail button on the standard toolbar next to the save button again -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "KathyG" <kgriffith@rc.com> wrote in message news:07e501c38464$c8422540$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Up with the tool bars there an outlook tool bar with the > to, from, etc. I cannot get rid of it. It does not appear > as a toolbar under view. Ron, thank you. I canno...

tab button not working in excel
Help! I've done something weird in an excel spreadsheet. I don't know what I did, but the tab key stopped working. I reset the transition key checkmark in tools>options>transition, and now it tabs, but it not from field to field...meaning instead of going from A1 to B1, it goes from A1 to Q1 or W1!! I don't think it is password protected, although I am not the only user to have acess to it. Any ideas would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! Traci If any of the cells are unlocked (Format>Cells...>Protection>Locked = unchecked) and the worksheet locked then the tab...

3d line charts cause Excel 2007 to crash
This is more of a bug report than a question (I've not been able to find a standard place to report bugs in Office 2007, the Connect site is for developer products such as Visual Studio etc). 3d line charts which work perfectly well on a pc with Excel 2003 cause Excel 2007 to hang when opened on my Vista pc with Excel 2007. I hope this is something which can be fixed when Service Pack 1 is released for Office 2007, as it is a very useful chart feature which we (and our clients) use a lot in one area of our work, and it may prevent our clients from migrating from Office 2003 to Of...

Formulas don't calculate until SAVE (excel 2000)
I have a client who insists they have a spreadsheet in which calculations of certain formulas do not occur until they SAVE the spreadsheet. They say it used to always auto-calculate upon entering in data into CELLS but changed to NOW only calculating when they press the SAVE speedbutton. I asked them if they started doing anything new or different? They said they just recently started pasting new columns from anything spreadsheet (provided by another company). It is an inconvenience to keep having to press SAVE. Any Ideas? --Rick It soulds as though Calculate has become manual....

Problem with Excel Links
I have a number of Excel workbooks and I wish to link them to a single summary worksheet. Linking them isn't a problem, however I would like to be able to 'switch off' the links to particular workbooks/worksheets so that I could select which were included on the summary sheet at any one time. Put another way, I want to have all the linked workbooks populated with data and then to be able to select which worksheets 'feed' through to the summary sheet to explore different scenarios. Any help will be very much appreciated. John You can use Edit, Links and change your sour...

Recommendations for an Excel and VBA book
Can anyone recommend a really good Excel reference book? In addition to the Microsoft guides, I have purchased several books and find them either too basic to be of help when the going gets tough, or a little too hard to understand (usually because they use terms and operators without clearly defining their function and/or limitations). Excel 2000 VBA by John Green is the best I have found, but it is just about 1 notch above my understanding in many areas. I have learned more from this newsgroup and the programming newsgroup than from any other source, and you are all appreciated. Thanks i...

Can I insert a box on excel that can be checked and un-checked?
I would like to insert a box that can be checked or unchecked, like a check list showing what is done and what is not done. I was just wondering where I can find that. Thanks Right click on your toolbar, on the drop down pick Forms, should be there Larry -- keithl816 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ keithl816's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21287 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=494386 ...

EXCEL 2003 MACRO Problem
Hi all gurus please help. I have a windows schelduler to open at a certain time and when the cells have been updated the file closes. The problems i'm having it the file stays open and i have to manually close the open file on a weekly basis, the cells are not updated either? Please see my code below: Private Changed As Boolean Private Sub Workbook_Open() 'start with the workbook showing unchanged Changed = False ' create our shutdown timer Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("00:00:10"), procedure:="ThisWorkbook.Auto_Close" ...

Add a goal line to a column chart
I have several column charts which I need to add different goal lines. Any suggestions? The goal has to be represented as a line and not as a column. Thanks for your help! http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Brandy" <Brandy @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF99E151-13A4-461D-B9CA-DECE4E467904@microsoft.com... >I have several column charts which I need to add different goal lines. Any > sugg...

Excel menus are locked when opening an XLS file using IE
A financial website (www.investors.com) is publishing daily an Excel spreadsheet. When I click on the link, Internet Explorer asks me whether I want to save the file or open the file. When I choose "Open" the Excel file shows up nicely in my browser ... the IE menus change to Excel menus. Problem: I can only use the File menu choices; the other menus are LOCKED. Why? I'm using Office XP on Windows 2000 Professional. At work I'm using Office 2002 and things work fine. Is this an Office XP issue, or is ther somewhere a setting that I have to teak? Any help is mu...

WORD vs. EXCEL: How to Optimize
Hi all... I have a fairly complex spreadsheet that also incorporates lots of legal text. The app allows reps to enter info about prospects, and it computes pricing, generates legal documents, and other info. Clearly, EXCEL handles the math, but is weak with text. Depending upon certain inputs, different blocks of text may be used. Ideal world: utilize the best of both. Question: should I make this a WORD_centric document or an EXCEL-centric document, and how to set up the links between the two. Many thanks... /Randy Randy, It depends in part on the layout you want. With Excel, you ge...

Excel 2007 Scatter Plot Freak Out!
I am a fairly experience Excel XP and 2003 user and I have a few questions: Why is it when I work with scatter plots in Excel 2007 my dual Xeon CPU computer with 4 GB RAM slows to a crawl? Is this a feature? It's never done that with Excel XP, Excel 2003, or any other application. How does one add chart and axis labels to a scatter plot? Not that I need them, all my end users prefer scatter plots with no axis labels. That way the charts can be interpreted any way they please. Yet another feature? Given a scatter plot with a singe series of 4 data points, how does one add a 2nd...

how to automate exporting excel worksheet to csv file
Looking for a way to create a macro or script to export the contents of an excel spreadsheet ( 6columns) to an ASCII comma separated file. I would like to be able to script this to run weekly. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:23:43 -0500, "Bob" <rpl-erroroneous@goldengate.net> wrote in microsoft.public.excel.misc: >Looking for a way to create a macro or script to export the contents of an >excel >spreadsheet ( 6columns) to an ASCII comma separated file. >I would like to be able to script this to run weekly. With VBA, I would do it this way: someWorkBook.SaveAs Fil...

Where is the graphics selection pointer in excel 2007?
I used to be able to click on the graphics selection tool in office 97 on the left end of the drawing toolbar then click and drag over multiple graphics to select them all. Then I could group them etc. What do i do now? It's to be found in - Insert tab - Illustrations - Shapes - select a shape and insert into w/s and immediately the new drawing tools format tab opens up -- Russell Dawson Excel Student Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful. "Bruce" wrote: > I used to be able to click on the graphics selection tool in office 97 on the ...

Excel "Insert Comment" Formatting
Hi, Windows XP Home Excel 2002 How can I format the "Insert Comment" .....(open Workbook > right click on a cell > left click > Insert Comment)......in my Excel worksheet? It opens now at Font Size 8. I would like it to open at a larger Font Size and also have the Insert Comment window saved at my chosen larger size (I know how to expand to a larger size but want to save it at that size for next time using Insert Comment in a different cell). Thank you, Larry Larry Start > settings > Control Panel > Display > Appearance Tab > Advanced. Select...

Time line in excel graph
I need a vertical line in my graph to show that the graph information after the line is the future predicted outcomes. I've tried countless different options and cant seem to find how to do this! Hi, There are various ways of addressing this problem. See the following for examples of adding lines to charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Wilkesy50 wrote: > I need a vertical line in my graph to show that the graph information after > th...

EXCEL will not show FONT less than 8
I was having aproblem with Outlook so I uninstalled and reinstalled Office. How when I select a EXCEL S/S with any font smaller than 8 - it does not show. When I tried to type in a small font it gave me a Row Height of 500 !! Anyone ever heard of this problem - I suspect I'll be into installing Office again - but if anyone knows a quick fix it would be nice. BTW I tried several S/S that work on other computers. Thanks for any help ...

Add hours together
I'm trying to do up a timesheet - very basic mon-fri. I have time in and lunch and time out. At the end of each row I have a formula that calculates 7:15 hours i.e. number of hours worked that day. When I try to add up the five rows for the weekly total I get 12:15 but it should add up to 36:15 i.e. 36 hours and fifteen minutes. I've tried converting to serial number but can't seem to get it to work. There was a mention of a link to cpearson but that seems very complicated. I just want to add hours together to get a total number of hours. On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:22:05 -0700,...

add items to a contact
I would like to know if it were possible (and how, maybe with a plugin) to add items to a contact in outlook 2003. In concrete, as I have seen in Agilix Gobinder 2005 or Tabletplanner, in a contact one can add persons (spouse, sons, assistants, etc) and then add to each of them items (birthdays, anniversaries, etc). In the calendar view, these family celebration dates appear so one would be able to recall them. Gobinder and Tabletplannet can sync with Outlook , but unfortunatly, these added items have no counterpart in outlook, so they are missed in outlook. Any help, please? Jaume You...

Trasporting Reports to Excel
When a user exports a Sales report to excel, they get a message saying "unexpected error; quitting" I know to fix this we can make the user local admin to the machine. I dont want to do that. The second fix is giving appropriate permissions to some registry key. I don't remember what key. Can anyone tell me what registry key it might be. ...

Re: combine multiple excel file in to one excel file and multiple worksheet
I am wanting to use the following code to combine worksheets from multiple files. However I would like to be able to select folder which contains files in a more automated way that having to change the code every time, and also copy all worksheets with links and formulas removed. Any help on this is greatly appreciated as I have limited code knowledge. Option Explicit > Sub Copy_them() > > Dim TargetWkbk As Workbook > Dim mrgWkbk As Workbook > > Dim i As Long > Dim Wks As Worksheet > Dim fName As String > > Application.ScreenUpdating = F...

excel 2004 column sorting
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I've read up a bit on others' sorting issues, but haven't come across exactly the same problem as mine. I used to be able to sort the info in one column and the corresponding info in the other columns would sort along with whichever column I chose at the first. Now, my corresponding columns don't sort along with my first sort, resulting in inaccurate info. Also, the workbook I am working with contains macros; the workbook contained macros when I first began using using it, i.e. when sorting was no prob....

Is it possible to add background sound to an email in Outlook 2007?
Is it possible to add background sound to an email in Outlook 2007? -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/ms-outlook/201005/1 Outlook can't play active content so while you could embed it (using an HTML editor), it won't play. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-S...

tool tip text in excel button
Hi, I have added button inside excel sheet(not vb control). Is it possible to add tooltip text for this? I am able to set tooltip text for vb controls. But i cannot use these controls inside excel sheet. Thanks and regards Duraiswamy ...

How do I make a list in Excel automatically go to the top of the .
How can I make an Excel spreadsheet make a list automatically move to the top of the column to the right of the original column when it reaches the bottom? Hi Try something like this Private Sub WORKSHEET_CHANGE(ByVal TARGET As Range) If ActiveCell.Row = 65536 Then ActiveCell.Offset(-65535, 1).Select Else End If End Sub This will activate when a change is made in last row of column you may need to change if statement to suit needs if not activecell Tina "Radio Bill" wrote: > How can I make an Excel spreadsheet make a list automatically move to the top > of the column to ...