excel question 11-30-09

i am writing a paper for school and i have to calculate the net pay on a
spreadsheet.  the formula my professor wants me to use is gross pay -(
federal tax+state tax)
i used formuia =e3-(f3+g3) and it produces a series of #### in the net pay
category however if i hover over them it pops up with the correct total ..
how do i make it show the total in the box not just a series of number signs?

Place the cursor on that particular cell and Do right click>>Format
Cells>>Number>>Category>>Select Number and give Ok.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"bruces girl" wrote:

> i am writing a paper for school and i have to calculate the net pay on a
> spreadsheet.  the formula my professor wants me to use is gross pay -(
> federal tax+state tax)
> i used formuia =e3-(f3+g3) and it produces a series of #### in the net pay
> category however if i hover over them it pops up with the correct total ..
> how do i make it show the total in the box not just a series of number signs?
that helped so much i could kiss u i have been fighting with this for over 2
hours now !! my only problem is that when i try to total all the net pays for
the 6 employees it is still coming up as those number signs even when i
change the format ... but the rest are fixed THANK U SO SO MUCH!!!

"Ms-Exl-Learner" wrote:

> Place the cursor on that particular cell and Do right click>>Format
> Cells>>Number>>Category>>Select Number and give Ok.
>
> Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps!
> --------------------
> (Ms-Exl-Learner)
> --------------------
>

> "bruces girl" wrote:
>
> > i am writing a paper for school and i have to calculate the net pay on a
> > spreadsheet.  the formula my professor wants me to use is gross pay -(
> > federal tax+state tax)
> > i used formuia =e3-(f3+g3) and it produces a series of #### in the net pay
> > category however if i hover over them it pops up with the correct total ..
> > how do i make it show the total in the box not just a series of number signs?
Have you tried selecting all the cells (cells in which you are getting #####)
and formatting those cells with Number format?

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"bruces girl" wrote:

> that helped so much i could kiss u i have been fighting with this for over 2
> hours now !! my only problem is that when i try to total all the net pays for
> the 6 employees it is still coming up as those number signs even when i
> change the format ... but the rest are fixed THANK U SO SO MUCH!!!
>
> "Ms-Exl-Learner" wrote:
>
> > Place the cursor on that particular cell and Do right click>>Format
> > Cells>>Number>>Category>>Select Number and give Ok.
> >
> > Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps!
> > --------------------
> > (Ms-Exl-Learner)
> > --------------------
> >

> > "bruces girl" wrote:
> >
> > > i am writing a paper for school and i have to calculate the net pay on a
> > > spreadsheet.  the formula my professor wants me to use is gross pay -(
> > > federal tax+state tax)
> > > i used formuia =e3-(f3+g3) and it produces a series of #### in the net pay
> > > category however if i hover over them it pops up with the correct total ..
> > > how do i make it show the total in the box not just a series of number signs?
yes i tried ... it worked for all of them but the total ... i can't put it in
anything but number format ...its required to bein currency but oh well at
least its showing actual numerals now thank you so much for all your help ...
i have never used excel before this class and hope after this week to never
ever see it again lol

"Ms-Exl-Learner" wrote:

> Have you tried selecting all the cells (cells in which you are getting #####)
> and formatting those cells with Number format?
>
> Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps!
>
> --------------------
> (Ms-Exl-Learner)
> --------------------
>

> "bruces girl" wrote:
>
> > that helped so much i could kiss u i have been fighting with this for over 2
> > hours now !! my only problem is that when i try to total all the net pays for
> > the 6 employees it is still coming up as those number signs even when i
> > change the format ... but the rest are fixed THANK U SO SO MUCH!!!
> >
> > "Ms-Exl-Learner" wrote:
> >
> > > Place the cursor on that particular cell and Do right click>>Format
> > > Cells>>Number>>Category>>Select Number and give Ok.
> > >
> > > Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps!
> > > --------------------
> > > (Ms-Exl-Learner)
> > > --------------------

You're Welcome and thanks for feeding back!

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"bruces girl" wrote:

> yes i tried ... it worked for all of them but the total ... i can't put it in
> anything but number format ...its required to bein currency but oh well at
> least its showing actual numerals now thank you so much for all your help ...
> i have never used excel before this class and hope after this week to never
> ever see it again lol
>
> "Ms-Exl-Learner" wrote:
>
> > Have you tried selecting all the cells (cells in which you are getting #####)
> > and formatting those cells with Number format?
> >
> > Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps!
> >
> > --------------------
> > (Ms-Exl-Learner)
> > --------------------
> >

> > "bruces girl" wrote:
> >
> > > that helped so much i could kiss u i have been fighting with this for over 2
> > > hours now !! my only problem is that when i try to total all the net pays for
> > > the 6 employees it is still coming up as those number signs even when i
> > > change the format ... but the rest are fixed THANK U SO SO MUCH!!!

Have you tried WIDENING the column

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"bruces girl" <brucesgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> yes i tried ... it worked for all of them but the total ... i can't put it
> in
> anything but number format ...its required to bein currency but oh well at
> least its showing actual numerals now thank you so much for all your help
> i have never used excel before this class and hope after this week to
> never
> ever see it again lol
>
> "Ms-Exl-Learner" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried selecting all the cells (cells in which you are getting
>> #####)
>> and formatting those cells with Number format?
>>
>> Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps!
>>
>> --------------------
>> (Ms-Exl-Learner)
>> --------------------
>>

>> "bruces girl" wrote:
>>
>> > that helped so much i could kiss u i have been fighting with this for
>> > over 2
>> > hours now !! my only problem is that when i try to total all the net
>> > pays for
>> > the 6 employees it is still coming up as those number signs even when i
>> > change the format ... but the rest are fixed THANK U SO SO MUCH!!!

0
Don
11/30/2009 1:04:46 PM
Make the column wider - typically ##### means that there is a number in the
cell, but the column/cell isn't wide enough to display it.

"bruces girl" wrote:

> i am writing a paper for school and i have to calculate the net pay on a
> spreadsheet.  the formula my professor wants me to use is gross pay -(
> federal tax+state tax)
> i used formuia =e3-(f3+g3) and it produces a series of #### in the net pay
> category however if i hover over them it pops up with the correct total ..
> how do i make it show the total in the box not just a series of number signs?

Gantt Chart in Excel. Do I need conditional formatting?
Hello all. I have created a Gantt chart that shows approx. 15 tasks in each project. I am using this to show percentage of completion for each task. It is working just fine and looks great but I need it to insert a date when a task is at 100% completion to show the client the date that particular task was completed. How would I do this without ruining my chart I already have working fine? I know this is probably easy to do but I cannot seem to keep the rest of the chart intact. Is conditional formatting the answer? Thanks! You could use Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler to do this: h...

Bcc #11
Is there any way that I can see the bcc reciepients' name No, that is the whole purpose of using the BCC field. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "BCCB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:064101c49c85$1eeba680$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way that I can see the bcc reciepients' name ...

Excel 2003 VB referencing #N/A not working but works in Excel 2007
I have a very simple macro that works in Excel 2007 but hangs up constantly in Excel 2003. Does anyone have a work around? Problem: When referencing cells that have a #N/A value, Excel 2003 craps out even if I use the ISNA application function before it. The following 2 statements will cause Excel 2003 VB to stop regardless of order if the cell that is referenced comes up with #N/A. Series = Cells(RowNumStart + X - 1, SeriesCol).Value If WorksheetFunction.IsNA(Cells(RowNumStart + X - 1, ColNum)) Then Further background.... I am actually wanting to find #...

excel formula problem #3
i want to set up a system that counts a series of dates but only say how many cells are filled, i can get this to work generally but section needs to count 3 seperate dates but only add on any one of the (eg) cell A counts the number of dates in cells B-Z but with cells D,E, i dont want all to count, only one of the three even if all are filled but it must count if any of the three are filled hope this makes sens -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try: =COUNT(B1:C1,G1:Z1)+(COUNT(D1:F1)>0) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > i want to set up a system that c...

Outlook 2003 build 11.5608.5606
I installed Outlook about a week ago and everything was going well until yesterday when Outlook became very unstable. It is to the point were I can't right click on anything or switch to different folders without it crashing and asking to send an error report to Microsoft (I bet I have about fifty in the last day and a half). I originally had Office 2000 Premium on my system when I upgraded to Office 2003 Professional. Since then, I have uninstalled Office 2003 and 2002 (rebooting after each one), going in the registry and removing all references to Office anything, Uninstalli...

SP2 screws Excel. Now only puts in decimal numbers
I installed SP2 for office 2003 yesterday and now anything I type into my excel workbook shows up with .45 instead of 45 which I typed in.. Any ideas? Tools -> Options -> Edit tab. Uncheck "Fixed Decimal Places" HTH knut "Tboz" <Tboz@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:42223421-8753-4E47-B4BE-ACED5FD1EF24@microsoft.com... >I installed SP2 for office 2003 yesterday and now anything I type into my > excel workbook shows up with .45 instead of 45 which I typed in.. Any > ideas? tools>options>calculation>precision as displ...

Transposing Excel Formula
I have the following formula to calculate the probability of an option trading below price B3 Prob = =NORMSDIST((LN(B3/B2))/((B4/100)*SQRT(B5/365))) B3 = Target Price B2 = Stock Price B4 = Implied Volatility B5 = Days to Expiration I want to transpose the formula to solve for B3, assuming a value for Prob. Here's what I got, but it doesn't give the expected answer - did I make a mistake in these unfamiliar functions?: B3= EXP(NORMSINV(Prob))*((B4/100)*SQRT(B5/365))*B2 On Feb 7, 10:14=A0am, Steveal <steve_alm...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I have the following formula to calculat...

Excel VBA
I have created a custom menu bar..a section of the code below...but d not know how to create a 2nd level to look like the example below. Period > Month > Current Year (action) Any suggestions. Thanks. ' Add a new menu Set NewMenu = NewMenuBar.Controls.Add _ (Type:=msoControlPopup) NewMenu.Caption = "&Period" ' Add a new menu item Set NewItem = NewMenu.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton) With NewItem .Caption = "&By Month" .OnAction = "Main" End Wit -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You should find your answer here (...

How do I change the format of how my active cell in Excel is view.
I sometimes have trouble locating which cell is active in my Excel worksheet. I would like to be able to change it to something other than just a heavy black border. Here is one way that highlights the row and column of the activecell. Private Sub WorkSheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Cells.FormatConditions.Delete With Target.EntireRow .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE" .FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 35 End With With Target.EntireColumn .FormatConditions.Delete .FormatConditions.Add T...

Excel Worksheet menu bars customizing for limiting users to optio.
Customizing Excel worksheet menu bar for limiting users to the options provided in that menu Hi Jim Look also at the links to MS pages on the bottom of this page http://www.rondebruin.com/menuid.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "jim" <jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8009001-5F5A-4415-9527-34C71D8DF1DB@microsoft.com... > Customizing Excel worksheet menu bar for limiting users to the options > provided in that menu ...

EXCEL 2003 #8
Can I take the contents ("WD4") of a cell (A2)on Sheet1, look for a match of the code ("WD4") on Sheet2 in cells A1-A20, and return the coresponding text in B1-B20 on Sheet2 to cell B2 on Sheet1. On Sheet1: =INDEX(B1:B20,MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A1:A20,0)) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:582672AF-9360-4525-9F8F-9C236D08A1A7@microsoft.com... > Can I take the contents ("WD4") of a cell (A2)on Sheet1, look for a match > of > the code ("WD4") on Sheet2 i...

Can you use the old Lotus "/ commands" in Excel 2003?
In Excel 2000 you could use a demo mode to activate the old Lotus menu commands. Can you do this in Excel 2003? Look at Tools>Option>Transition -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "DAW" <DAW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5590E6E-DFE1-4A9A-8651-387B7F49D112@microsoft.com... > In Excel 2000 you could use a demo mode to activate the old Lotus menu > commands. Can you do this in Excel 2003? > It's gone from xl2003. DAW wrote: > > In Excel 2000 you could use a demo mode to activate the old Lotus menu > commands. Can you do thi...

create automatic response to questions in excel....
Hi, Is there a way in excel where I have 10 questions and can click on one question and get the answer to pop up in my spreadsheet? thank you, Felicia On Dec 1, 6:39 am, felicia <feli...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > Is there a way in excel where I have 10 questions and can click on one > question and get the answer to pop up in my spreadsheet? > > thank you, > > Felicia One way, with questions in A1:A10 and corresponding correct answers in A1:A10 on a hidden worksheet with tab name "Answers"... right click the tab of the sheet with the qu...

SQL Server 2005 CAL question
If I have 1 HQ Server with with 2 HQ Clients, how many CALS do I need at the HQ server. Thanks in advance. Phil get a min of 5 cals Its not only the clients to think about its also any office PC that connects to SQL. "Phil V" <PhilV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E2F3590-032F-4B4C-9CEC-5A6A6BC7F46D@microsoft.com... > If I have 1 HQ Server with with 2 HQ Clients, how many CALS do I need at > the > HQ server. Thanks in advance. > > Phil ...

How do I rotate a worksheet in Excel?
I know that it is possible to rotate content within a cell, but what if I want to rotate the whole worksheet? And yes, I know that I could just set it to landscape mode, but I want to modify it once the rows become columns and the columns become rows. You are limited to 256 columns (and therefore 256 rows). create a new worksheet Select your range on the original worksheet edit|copy go to A1 of the new worksheet edit|paste special|check transpose. MarkRulesTheWorld wrote: > > I know that it is possible to rotate content within a cell, but what if I > want to rotate the whole w...

Is it possible to merge workbooks in excel?
I am currently working on a project with a coworker in which we need to enter quality scores for employees into excel workbooks, with one sheet per group of employees. Is it possible, if we enter data for separate groups, to later merge this data into one master workbook? Thanks! Are you asking if you can move/copy your sheet for Group AAA into another workbook that has a sheet for Group BBB? If so, all you need to do is: 1) open both the source and destination workbooks 2) activate the source workbook 3) select any and all tabs that you want in the destination workbook (Ctrl-click on ...

Help with complex query 05-09-07
Hi all, I've got a query that I'm not sure how to develop. My tables: Quotes - QuoteNo, RaisedBy, Customer QuoteItems - RecordID, QuoteNo, PartNo, Lifecycle, Value There's a one-to-many relationship between Quotes and QuoteItems, i.e. one quote can have many items. I need to run a query to show a list of quotes with totals from the QuoteItems table i.e. QuoteNo, RaisedBy, Customer, List of PartNos, List of Lifecycles, TotalValue I haven't got a clue how to start this, I know it needs to be nested queries, but the listing of parts and lifecycles is particularly stumpin...

how do I add a 'web address' to a cell in excel with a hyperlink?
how do I add a 'web address' to a cell in excel with a hyperlink? I am a new student to computers, and part of a test is to insert a hyperlink to a cell in excel linking to a web address. I have searched computer for any 'Hyperlink' connection words, but I think it not on here, Is that possible, although I have top of range computer. Anyone with a solution? I be ever so greatful. in xl2002 ctrl+k>in the link to select existing web page>either type in (at the bottom) or point to the url on your browser>enter -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austi...

Super Hard Question!
linked from: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320701 I was thinking 1 full day yesterday about this....I still couldn't think a way out of this. I need to convert database sheet to Navision template as shown below(please refer to the link above for the spreadsheet. The Navision template is sorted by date. When that date is selected, Only the product and customer to that date is extracted....I just couldn't think of any possbilities on how this could be done. This is beyond Excel abilities, right? link: http://www.geocities.com/gjfeng/protoV2.xls Hi GJ, First up I don&#...

Excel Hyperlink on Chart
Hello, Is there a way to "drill down" to data from an Excel chart? For example, select the series and have it hyerlinked to a table containing the data? Thanks. Bill Hi AFAIK not possible (or at least not without a huge amount of vBA code) >-----Original Message----- >Hello, >Is there a way to "drill down" to data from an Excel chart? For example, >select the series and have it hyerlinked to a table containing the data? > >Thanks. > >Bill > > >. > ...

Import from Excel #2
Hi, Is there any way I can import from MS Excel to Money? -- Chanikya See http://xl2qif.chez.tiscali.fr/xl2qif_en.php "cndesu" wrote: > Hi, > Is there any way I can import from MS Excel to Money? > -- > Chanikya See also http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=8. "cndesu" <cndesu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05433109-7FE5-4E53-8DE2-E3E2F5A8B34B@microsoft.com... > Is there any way I can import from MS Excel to Money? Hi, I have a pdf file consists of transactions which bank gave me online. Now Can I import this file to money? -- ...

Access 2007 and windows 7 12-25-09
Under windows xp and vista. I was using a batch file to compact a database, now under windows 7 it does not work I get an error. EXAMPLE: "c:\Consulting Tracking Program\Consulting Tracking.accdb" /compact Now I get a message box saying that was a problem sending the command to the program. Thanks for the help OD "OD" wrote: > Under windows xp and vista. I was using a batch file to compact a database, > now under windows 7 it does not work I get an error. > > EXAMPLE: > > "c:\Consulting Tracking Program\Consulting Tra...

Cannot send email 12-11-09
I keep getting an error message reading*** Cannot find host*** Chances are, you have a typo in the mail server name. If you need more help, right-click on your error message, copy, then paste it into a = reply here. We can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message.=20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "Randy" <RRestle@comcast.net> wrote in message = news:%2326x76meKHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I keep getting an error message reading*** Cannot find host*** ...

Importing specific content into an Excel 2002 worksheet
I have some word documents that contain data I need throughout the document. As it stand, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are the easiest ways because the data is never in the same location on each document. Is there a way of capturing this data, and adding it to a selected field in Excel? The Word documents have a lot of 'noise' before, and after the data which is mostly contained in a table. This table also contains 'noise' that is not needed for the end result. Any suggestions are welcomed. Wayne. wrote: > I have some word documents that contain data I need throughout the &...

the new excel help is horrible!!!! (way to go, limiting comments)
how do I get the previoulsy found HELP to list the typical formulas, or use of special characters, like the & symble in excel. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=102753c7-0f12-402b-9da0-3...