Excel need help

I have 2 columns a and b . a contains payment b
contains balance.
I have the entire col b with the formula. my ? is
when the balance appearsin b it is in all the cells in that column.I
only want it in the used ones, not the unused ones:( example
$270.00	16,730.00
$270.00	16,460.00
$100.00	16,360.00
$300.00	16,060.00
$270.00	15,790.00
	15,790.00
	15,790.00
	15,790.00
	15,790.00
	15,790.00
this 15790.00 is in col b...not a...I want no bal in unused cells

--
fiftieslady
fiftieslady's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31186

fiftieslady, maybe something like this  =IF(ISBLANK(A2),"",B1-A2) if that
does not help post the formula you are using and where it is

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"fiftieslady" <fiftieslady.22q9em_1139094609.4467@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> I have 2 columns a and b . a contains payment b
> contains balance.
> I have the entire col b with the formula. my ? is
> when the balance appearsin b it is in all the cells in that column.I
> only want it in the used ones, not the unused ones:( example
> $270.00 16,730.00
> $270.00 16,460.00
> $100.00 16,360.00
> $300.00 16,060.00
> $270.00 15,790.00
> 15,790.00
> 15,790.00
> 15,790.00
> 15,790.00
> 15,790.00
> this 15790.00 is in col b...not a...I want no bal in unused cells
>

> --
> fiftieslady
> fiftieslady's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31186
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=508574

One way is to use an IF to error trap for empty/blank cells ..

Instead of in say, B3: =B2-A3
Put it in B3 as: =IF(A3="","",B2-A3)
Then copy B3 down

The " IF(A3="","", ... " error trap will check the cell in col A
whether it's "blank" before evaluating further
--
Max
Singapore
wrote in message

> I have 2 columns a and b . a contains payment b
> contains balance.
> I have the entire col b with the formula. my ? is
> when the balance appearsin b it is in all the cells in that column.I
> only want it in the used ones, not the unused ones:( example
> $270.00 16,730.00
> $270.00 16,460.00
> $100.00 16,360.00
> $300.00 16,060.00
> $270.00 15,790.00
> 15,790.00
> 15,790.00
> 15,790.00
> 15,790.00
> 15,790.00
> this 15790.00 is in col b...not a...I want no bal in unused cells
>

> --
> fiftieslady
> fiftieslady's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31186
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=508574

0
demechanik (4694)

Updating Share Point list from within Excel
I have the need to update an existing SharePoint list within Excel using VBA code. Is this possible? Can somebody point me to some reference that can direct met on how to do it? I'm able to save workbook and create dashboard from that workbook. However, now I need to update custom fields in an existing list. Regards, OMER ...

Excel keeps changing my formulas to include nearby cells.
Excel keeps changing my formulas to include nearby cells. More details ... -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "emeraldc" wrote: > Excel keeps changing my formulas to include nearby cells. ...

How do I calculate the change in stock price in excel.
How do I calculate the change in stock price from the previous day. Put yesterday's price in cell A1 and today's price in cell A2. In cell A3 put the formula: =A2-A1 -- Gary's Student "Knowledge001" wrote: > How do I calculate the change in stock price from the previous day. ...

Calculating Dates, PlEASE HELP! THANKS!
Ok, If I want to calculate the difference of a date with the following date in Access: so 3/29/08 in cell A1 and 5/3/08 in cell A2 and return the value in B1 of 35. How do I do this? Thanks! In Excell the formula looks like this: =IF(+A1-A2>0,A1-A2,0) Is this an Access question? If so, then post you table and field names with datatype, sample data, and what you want the results to look like. -- Build a little, test a little. "kritter0021" wrote: > Ok, If I want to calculate the difference of a date with the following date > in Access: ...

How do you define variables in excel?
I am setting up a spreadsheet to keep track of my students. I want to use excel if possible to keep track of lates, left early, attendance, etc, as my grades are kept there already. I was wondering if you can assign values to variables to accomplish this and how to define them. Thanks Why do you want to assign to variables, why not just use worksheet cells? -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "BigRon" <BigRon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D246057F-E2D9-474F-85A2-A31440E48142@microsoft.com... > I am setting up a s...

excel formulas #2
Can someone help me with how to create a formula that looks at one cell and based upon the number in that cell (if statement) then gives me another number? example: If cell c4 contains the number 1; then how can I have cell a8 look at cell c4 and give me the number 1 (other than a link) / then have cell a9 look at cell c4 if it contains the number 2 to then give me the number 2.................... I need a formula to look at a cell that will contain a number from 1 to 5 or above and then accoridingly give me a coresponding number to reflect if that number is 1,2,3,4 or 5. Each cel...

Excel should have a "Change Case..." menu Item like Word!!
See the subject, I know you can set up a formula to do it I want a button! PLEASE, for years I've just wanted to change case on the fly, YEARS! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=3c7554c...

Excel 2003 #5
Hi all Got a silly problem. MS Excel 2003 Professional via MS partner pack (aka Action Pack) Start Excel as normal, no problem, clik on FILE on the menu bar and Excel stops responding. ALL other menu items work correctly. I've un-installed and re-installed the software, no change. Excel WILL run in safe mode however. Any ideas anyone please. Thanks in anticipation, Adrian. PS I have an HP psc1215 attached and have noticed some mention of issues with their 'Share-to-web' rubbish that comes supplied (now un-installed) ...

VBA turing up on the web...excel transfer...
Ok, here's the deal! I want to take my database/spreadsheet from excel and place it on the web with interactivity - I have done this so far.....what the problem is: I have macros in VBA programing that is not going with the excel pages onto the web...why? Is this going to be easier if I start from scratch in FrontPage to be able to control this program fully? Please help...I can't find anyone that knows....:-( ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! Free Support at http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/ ** ...

Using labels in EXCEL 2007
I have app 400 names in Col B row 1 down to row 400 of my spreadsheet. I would like to transfer that info to "paper labels" Anyone know how? Thanks "pcor" <pcor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F98982B9-75BD-4A9D-85AD-2C28BC9408EA@microsoft.com... >I have app 400 names in Col B row 1 down to row 400 of my spreadsheet. > I would like to transfer that info to "paper labels" > Anyone know how? > Thanks You ask "Anyone know how" Of course someone here knows how! I don't have your answer, b...

need some help with: formatting of x2 dates in 1 cell
Hi and thanks to anyone who reads this. I have a worksheet which contains two columns of dates. In a second worksheet i have a column which adds the two dates together as TEXT and ommits dates which are blank which works perfectly, however: I would like to know how i could format each of the 2 dates in the 1 cell to have different font colors? Here is my existing cell formula: =IF('Data'!E2=0,"",(TEXT('Data'!E2,"dd/mm/yy"))&" "&IF('Data'!F2=0,"",TEXT('Data'!F2,"dd/mm/yy"))) I have a feeling its not...

How do I select multiple rows randomly in MS Excel?
How do I select multiple rows randomly in MS Excel? Hi Select your first row and then hold down the Ctrl key while selecting the others. HTH Michael "Varun" wrote: > How do I select multiple rows randomly in MS Excel? "Varun" <Varun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote > How do I select multiple rows randomly in MS Excel? Just another angle to the post's interp .. (with emphasis on "randomly") Here's an example set-up to play with .. Assume we have 6 rows of data below in Sheet1's A1:C6: Data1 Text1 Desc1 Data2 Text2 Desc2 Data3 Text...

Re: H E L P * * * Need help with question about protecting a range of cell in workbook #2
I need to know how to protect a range of cell/s in a workbook Press F1, enter protect range, click on "Lock only a few cells on a worksheet" link. Blacksmith wrote: > I need to know how to protect a range of cell/s in a workbook > > > > ...

How do I combine 2 text columns in Microsoft Excel?
I have two columns of descriptive text, the second column is the end of the first column's sentence, however I can not find a way in the Help options to combine the text values to create one complete sentence in one column. Does anyone know of a way to do this? Try: =A5&" "&B5 if you want spaces between the columns or look at the CONCATENATE function example =CONCATENATE(A5,B5) Domaniman wrote: > I have two columns of descriptive text, the second column is the end of the > first column's sentence, however I can not find a way in the Help options to ...

Do I need these?
I was looking through my Add/Remove Programs list and saw the following. I have a Dell Latitude D600 with XP SP3. I use VB 6.0 (Classic). The MSXML KBs stacked up? The .NET updates? Do I really need these? -- Windows Live OneCare Scanner -- MSXML 4.0 SP2 KBs 936181, 954430, 973688 w/ MSXML 6 SP2 KB 973686 -- VIsual C++ 2005 & 2008 Redistributables -- MS .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1 -- Memory Key Boot Utility Ed Ed from AZ wrote: > I was looking through my Add/Remove Programs list and saw the > following. I have a Dell Latitude D600 with XP SP...

Excel Formula Help
I need to create a spreadsheet to calculate my weekly payroll. The timecards are punched in a timeclock which prints out the in and out times. for example, in at 7:30 am out at 5:00 pm. It also gives me a running total of the number of hours accumulated. I want to take the total number of hours and minutes and convert that to a decimal. If an employee has 32:35 minutes total time accumulated, then using a formula in an excel spreadsheet, I want to see these hours in decimal format, i.e., 32.58 Anyone know how to help me do this? Thanks! might want to try microsoft.public.excel Mat...

Drop Down Box Help
Hi I am new to using Excel more interactively. I am able to create drop down box so a user can choose a day of the week for example. But I want to be able to populate other cells in the column dependin on the choice from the drop down list. e.g. choose Tuesday from a list of days of the week in A2 and have B2 C2 etc filled with related data. Is this at all possible? Thank you in advance -- smcka ----------------------------------------------------------------------- smckay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3582 View this thread: http://www.exc...

Help with formula please #3
Hello, I need a formula that can do the following: -give an average minutes and seconds per phone call This is the data that I will be entering: Calls: 120 Total talk time (hours): 4 Total talk time (minutes): 47 Total talk time (seconds): 52 Thank you Assuming the hours will not be greater than 23. Try this: B1 = 120 B2 = 4 B3 = 47 B4 = 52 =TIME(B2,B3,B4)/B1 Format as m:ss or h:m:ss -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Jimmy H" <spokenwords@gmail.com> wrote in message news:658b55fd-93e6-4eea-b11f-585544d97364@m7g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > I need a...

Web link to Excel file
I'm trying to link to an Excel 97 file from a ColdFusion web page. The first time I click the link, the file opens fine in the browser (I.E. 5.5). If I close the file and click the link again, I get a message stating 'filename.xls is currently being modified by "my user name here". Open as read only?'. I can still open the file as read only, but am wondering why I get this message, because I'm not making any modifications. I've had other people try this link, and they get the same thing, except it tells them that they're the one modifying the fi...

re: best way to move columns between 2 excel docs
Ok, here is my little project: In execel.doc A I have some columns that I want to move to Excel.doc B, and the columns are always positioned the same way in A, they never change their position. How do you transfer them to B, to append a running process of pre-existing prefilled from previous days ? Any code samples ? Macros ? Please help!!! :- ) I am reading a book on application-level programming, VBA for Access, so I understand more and more everyday. How much work do I have here ? Thanks. ...

Local OLAP cubes in Excel/MS Query
Hi Can someone please recommend some good book or web page about creating local OLAP cubes using MS Query. I have some data in Access that I want to work with using cubes. Kind regards IgorM http://wang.se/en/CreateOLAPCube.html/ Ed Ferrero Hi Thanks for response. Unfortunately I still don't know if the show-details-after-double-click feature is available in pivottables linked to OLAP cubes. I tried all three connection types. With the two first options (rebuild at once and rebuild when needed) I still cannot make the pivot table to create a sheet on the fly and provide detai...

MSScriptControl.ScriptControl help
Her is my powershell code: $vbsCode = Get-Content "c:\scripts\CreateMailbox.vbs" $vbs = New-Object -ComObject MSScriptControl.ScriptControl $vbs.language = "VBScript" $vbs.addCode([string]::Join("'n",$vbsCode)) #$vbs | Get-Member $vbs.CreateMailbox() Here is my vbscript code: Function CreateMailbox(Server,User) Dim oExchsrv Dim sDispName oExchsrv = Server sDispName = User Set oUser = GetObject ("LDAP://cn=" & sDispName & ",ou=New Accounts,dc=stormontvail,dc=org") WScript.Echo sSamAcct & " mailbox cr...

Copying a worksheet in Excel
Why do objects, eg a logo, sometimes give stacked copies when a worksheet is copied in excel. You don't know it has happened until you save your document and it is huge. Then you have to click on the object, in this case a logo, and click and delete up to a 100 copies that are neatly stacked one on top of the other until you are left with the 1 nr logo you are after! Any ideas how to stop this from happening? I've never seen excel do this. Are you sure that the original worksheet didn't have 100's of logos already there. You may want to post back with more details (v...

Excel 2010 not opening in maximized view
Hi, I am starting to use Office 2010 and Excel is only opening in a small window. Does anyone have knowledge on how to get it to open in full window (be the size of my screen)? All other office applications open in full view. Thanks in advance. Thank you for the suggestion, however this did not work. I performed these steps then tried it, didn't take so I rebooted, still didn't take and I double checked that in showed as Maximized and it did. Any further suggestions? Thanks "מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote: > Try right(!) clicking the "Excel&quo...

Import Excel Records into Outlook
When I try to import a excel file into outlook I get a message that says I need to define the fields. How do I define the fields? The easiest way to do this is to first export a small set of records from Outlook to Excel. Then open the worksheet and pay close attention to the first row. These are the default field names Outlook uses. If you use the exact names as the header row for the columns you wish to import, Outlook will import your Excel data to the desired fields. You can also manually create a field import map if you have used other names for the columns in your worksheet. Eit...