excel-i want it to go to a certain cell when i 1st open the sheet

when i open a spreadsheet that i created, how do i get the cursor to go to
the cell i want it to..  in this spreadsheet i will have to enter information
in different columns and i want it to automatically go to the first cell
under the first column. how can i do this?
0
Lindsey (28)

Hi Lindsey,

I can think of two options off the top of my head:
1) Go to the cell, save and close.  The next time you open the workbook, the
active cell will be the same cell.
2) Use Excel Events.  This requires programming Excel using VBA and when
done properly can be extremely useful !!! The desired cell will always be the
active cell regardless of what cell you are in when you hit save.

There are many excellent tutorials on the web (do a google search "excel vba
event autoopen").  Here is one link from www.ozgrid.com
http://www.ozgrid.com/News/ExcelCustomNumberFormatsAutoRunMacros.htm

Excel is an incredible program and it's so much fun learning !!!!

Good luck,
--
Kevin Lehrbass
kevin@spreadsheetsolutions4u.com

"lindsey" wrote:

> when i open a spreadsheet that i created, how do i get the cursor to go to
> the cell i want it to..  in this spreadsheet i will have to enter information
> in different columns and i want it to automatically go to the first cell
> under the first column. how can i do this?
Lindsey

Right-click on the Excel Icon left of the File command on menu(assuming your
window is maximized) and "View Code"

If window not maximized r-click on the logo in title bar.

Copy/paste this into that module.

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
     Sheets("Sheet1").Select
     Range("A1").Select
End Sub

Edit to your sheet name and range.

Save and close workbook.  Re-open.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:42:20 -0800, "lindsey"
<lindsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>when i open a spreadsheet that i created, how do i get the cursor to go to
>the cell i want it to..  in this spreadsheet i will have to enter information
>in different columns and i want it to automatically go to the first cell
>under the first column. how can i do this?
0
Gord
12/13/2005 10:18:43 PM
thank you so much. i have another question.  on a drop down box, is there
anyway for the arrow to be "inside" the cell with the drop down list and also
for the arrow to be seen?  some guy before me created this worksheet and it
has drop down boxes where you can see the arrow and it's inside the cell.
when i create my drop down box, the arrow only shows up when you get to that
cell and it is outside of the cell. i hope this made since

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Lindsey
>
> Right-click on the Excel Icon left of the File command on menu(assuming your
> window is maximized) and "View Code"
>
> If window not maximized r-click on the logo in title bar.
>
> Copy/paste this into that module.
>
> Private Sub Workbook_Open()
>      Sheets("Sheet1").Select
>      Range("A1").Select
> End Sub
>
> Edit to your sheet name and range.
>
> Save and close workbook.  Re-open.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:42:20 -0800, "lindsey"
> <lindsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >when i open a spreadsheet that i created, how do i get the cursor to go to
> >the cell i want it to..  in this spreadsheet i will have to enter information
> >in different columns and i want it to automatically go to the first cell
> >under the first column. how can i do this?

0
Lindsey (28)
12/16/2005 8:24:01 PM
Lindsey

"Arrow inside and remains in view".

Sounds like a ComboBox from the Control Toolbox Toolbar.

Not a Data Validation dropdown.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:24:01 -0800, "lindsey"
<lindsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>thank you so much. i have another question.  on a drop down box, is there
>anyway for the arrow to be "inside" the cell with the drop down list and also
>for the arrow to be seen?  some guy before me created this worksheet and it
>has drop down boxes where you can see the arrow and it's inside the cell.
>when i create my drop down box, the arrow only shows up when you get to that
>cell and it is outside of the cell. i hope this made since
>
>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> Lindsey
>>
>> Right-click on the Excel Icon left of the File command on menu(assuming your
>> window is maximized) and "View Code"
>>
>> If window not maximized r-click on the logo in title bar.
>>
>> Copy/paste this into that module.
>>
>> Private Sub Workbook_Open()
>>      Sheets("Sheet1").Select
>>      Range("A1").Select
>> End Sub
>>
>> Edit to your sheet name and range.
>>
>> Save and close workbook.  Re-open.
>>

>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:42:20 -0800, "lindsey"
>> <lindsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >when i open a spreadsheet that i created, how do i get the cursor to go to
>> >the cell i want it to..  in this spreadsheet i will have to enter information
>> >in different columns and i want it to automatically go to the first cell
>> >under the first column. how can i do this?

0
Gord
12/16/2005 11:02:28 PM
how do you create a combobox with a list of things

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Lindsey
>
> "Arrow inside and remains in view".
>
> Sounds like a ComboBox from the Control Toolbox Toolbar.
>
> Not a Data Validation dropdown.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:24:01 -0800, "lindsey"
> <lindsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >thank you so much. i have another question.  on a drop down box, is there
> >anyway for the arrow to be "inside" the cell with the drop down list and also
> >for the arrow to be seen?  some guy before me created this worksheet and it
> >has drop down boxes where you can see the arrow and it's inside the cell.
> >when i create my drop down box, the arrow only shows up when you get to that
> >cell and it is outside of the cell. i hope this made since
> >
> >"Gord Dibben" wrote:
> >
> >> Lindsey
> >>
> >> Right-click on the Excel Icon left of the File command on menu(assuming your
> >> window is maximized) and "View Code"
> >>
> >> If window not maximized r-click on the logo in title bar.
> >>
> >> Copy/paste this into that module.
> >>
> >> Private Sub Workbook_Open()
> >>      Sheets("Sheet1").Select
> >>      Range("A1").Select
> >> End Sub
> >>
> >> Edit to your sheet name and range.
> >>
> >> Save and close workbook.  Re-open.
> >>

> >> Gord Dibben Excel MVP

0
Lindsey (28)
12/20/2005 4:26:02 PM
Lindsey

View>Toolbars>Control Toolbox.

Click on the "design mode" button.

Click on the "combobox" button.

Draw a combox box on the sheet.

Right-click on the combobox and "Properties"

Edit the ListFillRange to the range of items you have listed on a sheet, say
A1:A23

Pick a "linked cell" to link your selection to.

Set the ListRows to the number items you want to see when you click on the
arrow.

Hit the "x" to close.

Click on the "exit design mode button" and you're good to go.

These are the very basics.  Adjust and add more functions as you wish.

Gord

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:26:02 -0800, "lindsey"
<lindsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>how do you create a combobox with a list of things
>
>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> Lindsey
>>
>> "Arrow inside and remains in view".
>>
>> Sounds like a ComboBox from the Control Toolbox Toolbar.
>>
>> Not a Data Validation dropdown.
>>

>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:24:01 -0800, "lindsey"
>> <lindsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >thank you so much. i have another question.  on a drop down box, is there
>> >anyway for the arrow to be "inside" the cell with the drop down list and also
>> >for the arrow to be seen?  some guy before me created this worksheet and it
>> >has drop down boxes where you can see the arrow and it's inside the cell.
>> >when i create my drop down box, the arrow only shows up when you get to that
>> >cell and it is outside of the cell. i hope this made since

0
Gord
12/20/2005 6:32:05 PM
For more on ComboBox and Data Validation see Debra Dalgleish's site.

Gord

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:32:05 -0800, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:

>Lindsey
>
>View>Toolbars>Control Toolbox.
>
>Click on the "design mode" button.
>
>Click on the "combobox" button.
>
>Draw a combox box on the sheet.
>
>Right-click on the combobox and "Properties"
>
>Edit the ListFillRange to the range of items you have listed on a sheet, say
>A1:A23
>
>Pick a "linked cell" to link your selection to.
>
>Set the ListRows to the number items you want to see when you click on the
>arrow.
>
>Hit the "x" to close.
>
>Click on the "exit design mode button" and you're good to go.
>
>These are the very basics.  Adjust and add more functions as you wish.
>

>Gord
>
>On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:26:02 -0800, "lindsey"
><lindsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>how do you create a combobox with a list of things
>>
>>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>>
>>> Lindsey
>>>
>>> "Arrow inside and remains in view".
>>>
>>> Sounds like a ComboBox from the Control Toolbox Toolbar.
>>>
>>> Not a Data Validation dropdown.
>>>

>>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP

0
Gord

Converting QuatroPro to Excel
How can convert a quatropro spreadsheet to an excel spreadsheet. Any help? Thanks, Bob Open the file in Quattro Pro and save it in one of the supplied Excel formats. -- Regards Andy Wiggins www.BygSoftware.com Home of "Save and BackUp", "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA" "Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36c601c40128$9e26a970$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How can convert a quatropro spreadsheet to an excel > spreadsheet. Any help? > Thanks, > Bob ...

Using part of a cell in a chart title

visible cell only

Excel 2007

move cell contents

Excel not Access

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Opening Excel Workbooks

Outlook "Ruler" won't go away

help with simple maths in excel

Planned Open Market Days

No Warning When Transaction Edits Are Going To Be Lost
I don't know how many times I have finished editing a transaction, and then inadvertently clicked somewhere else, like up into the register to see a prior example, and lost all my edits. The real problem is that there is no notification from Money that I am about to lose all my edits, it just trashes them. Sure would be nice if Money asked me if I want to save the edits before discarding them, yes?? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" b...

How do I use traffic lights in excel

opening .bak file

Excel Problem