Excel help on line ~ A general muse.

Just a general query on help,
We are dipping our toe into Excel
after outgrowing MSWorks with regards to
bulk querying, we are involved in the thoroughbred industry
and hence deal with records around 65,000- 100,000

We can scrabble around by ourselves, and get by no doubt,
but if we need a spreadsheet refining process, is it within
accepted practice of this NG, to be able to email a SS
to obliging parties for assistance and improvement?

I should imagine our requests to be bordering on the
"easy" to those with reasonable experience.
Of course we would be willing to pay, but recompense
is difficult to estimate with our basic requests.

Anybody here, live in Perth Western Australia?

Comments?

--
rodney@touch88gum.com.au
(Remove gum to reply)

0
rodney (31)

Hi Rodney!

Don't attach workbooks to newsgroup postings is the accepted rule. Just
describe your problem as briefly as possible.

As for sending workbooks direct, only do so if requested.

I believe Dave Hawley lives in Perth and perhaps JulieD also. But with
newsgroups it doesn't really matter where you live as long as you have
electricity, telephone and a copious supply of coffee.

Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
Sydney, Australia
njharker@optusnet.com.au
available free to good homes.

"Rodney" <rodney@touch88.com.au> wrote in message
> Just a general query on help,
> We are dipping our toe into Excel
> after outgrowing MSWorks with regards to
> bulk querying, we are involved in the thoroughbred industry
> and hence deal with records around 65,000- 100,000
>
> We can scrabble around by ourselves, and get by no doubt,
> but if we need a spreadsheet refining process, is it within
> accepted practice of this NG, to be able to email a SS
> to obliging parties for assistance and improvement?
>
> I should imagine our requests to be bordering on the
> "easy" to those with reasonable experience.
> Of course we would be willing to pay, but recompense
> is difficult to estimate with our basic requests.
>
> Anybody here, live in Perth Western Australia?
>
> Comments?
>
> --
> rodney@touch88gum.com.au
> (Remove gum to reply)

0
njharker (1646)
4/6/2004 5:00:33 AM
G'day Norman,
Thx for such a polite reply,
I understand the NG ethic in general, esp attachments.
Payment for local help is easily facilitated
hence my query.
I know who to look for now if we tread in the quicksand,
and do not mind to pay for a steeper learning curve.

Perhaps you should sell up, over there in the big smoke, (cough, cough)
and head here to Paradise?   :)   aaaaaaaaaahhhhh.

rodney@touch88gum.com.au
(Remove gum to reply)

"Norman Harker" <njharker@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:eC3baQ5GEHA.4008@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| Hi Rodney!
|
| Don't attach workbooks to newsgroup postings is the accepted rule. Just
| describe your problem as briefly as possible.
|
| As for sending workbooks direct, only do so if requested.
|
| I believe Dave Hawley lives in Perth and perhaps JulieD also. But with
| newsgroups it doesn't really matter where you live as long as you have
| electricity, telephone and a copious supply of coffee.
|
| --
| --
| Regards
| Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
| Sydney, Australia
| njharker@optusnet.com.au
| Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments)
| available free to good homes.
|
| "Rodney" <rodney@touch88.com.au> wrote in message
| > Just a general query on help,
| > We are dipping our toe into Excel
| > after outgrowing MSWorks with regards to
| > bulk querying, we are involved in the thoroughbred industry
| > and hence deal with records around 65,000- 100,000
| >
| > We can scrabble around by ourselves, and get by no doubt,
| > but if we need a spreadsheet refining process, is it within
| > accepted practice of this NG, to be able to email a SS
| > to obliging parties for assistance and improvement?
| >
| > I should imagine our requests to be bordering on the
| > "easy" to those with reasonable experience.
| > Of course we would be willing to pay, but recompense
| > is difficult to estimate with our basic requests.
| >
| > Anybody here, live in Perth Western Australia?
| >
| > Comments?
| >
| > --
| > rodney@touch88gum.com.au
| > (Remove gum to reply)

0
rodney (31)
4/6/2004 7:06:47 AM
Hi Rodney!

Thanks for thanks.

I think I'll stay with living at historic Richmond; best lit cemetery
in Australia.

--
> G'day Norman,
> Thx for such a polite reply,
> I understand the NG ethic in general, esp attachments.
> Payment for local help is easily facilitated
> hence my query.
> I know who to look for now if we tread in the quicksand,
> and do not mind to pay for a steeper learning curve.
>
> Perhaps you should sell up, over there in the big smoke, (cough,
> cough)
> and head here to Paradise?   :)   aaaaaaaaaahhhhh.
>

> rodney@touch88gum.com.au
> (Remove gum to reply)
>

> "Norman Harker" <njharker@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> | Hi Rodney!
> |
> | Don't attach workbooks to newsgroup postings is the accepted rule.
> Just
> | describe your problem as briefly as possible.
> |
> | As for sending workbooks direct, only do so if requested.
> |
> | I believe Dave Hawley lives in Perth and perhaps JulieD also. But
> with
> | newsgroups it doesn't really matter where you live as long as you
> have
> | electricity, telephone and a copious supply of coffee.
> |
> | --
> | --
> | Regards
> | Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
> | Sydney, Australia
> | njharker@optusnet.com.au
> | Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and
> Arguments)
> | available free to good homes.
> |
> | "Rodney" <rodney@touch88.com.au> wrote in message
> | > Just a general query on help,
> | > We are dipping our toe into Excel
> | > after outgrowing MSWorks with regards to
> | > bulk querying, we are involved in the thoroughbred industry
> | > and hence deal with records around 65,000- 100,000
> | >
> | > We can scrabble around by ourselves, and get by no doubt,
> | > but if we need a spreadsheet refining process, is it within
> | > accepted practice of this NG, to be able to email a SS
> | > to obliging parties for assistance and improvement?
> | >
> | > I should imagine our requests to be bordering on the
> | > "easy" to those with reasonable experience.
> | > Of course we would be willing to pay, but recompense
> | > is difficult to estimate with our basic requests.
> | >
> | > Anybody here, live in Perth Western Australia?
> | >
> | > Comments?
> | >
> | > --
> | > rodney@touch88gum.com.au
> | > (Remove gum to reply)

0
njharker (1646)

comparing excel spreadsheets from command line
Hi, I am running tests here that involve comparing two excel spread sheets. right now we have to manually open the files, copy and paste the contents of each into a separate too, and run a compare. This is time consuming as it involves an awful lot of manual intervention. Ideally, I would like to run some sort of command that takes the two files as params and which outputs (preferable in some sort of graphical format) the differences between the two files. Is that possible? Or am I asking too much? thanks much and have a nice day Graham hi, see this site. http://www.cpearson.com/ex...

Date format in Excel 2000
Hello, I am attempting import a text file into Excel 2000. The text data is set as YY/MM/DD format, and I would like to keep the same format in Excel. Excel automatically converts the date into MM/DD/YYYY format, even though I select general on the formatting tab when doing the import. Is there a way to have this field ignored so that my raw data can stay in it's original format? Thanks, Scott Hi try preformating this column with your date format -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Scott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1...

Copying numbers from Excel to Word
Hi, I have numbers in Excel formated in Hebrew font Narkisim.When I copy them from Excel to Word (2003 and 2007) it converts the numbres to Times New Roman and force them to be formated as ENGLISH charachters instead of HEBREW. Is it a bug? Thank you, Tamir :-) __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4762 (20100111) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com Hi Tamir, If you paste the numbers into a Word range formatted with the Narkisim font, I'd expect them to retain ...

Excel does not print
A few of my users have the problem in excel when they attempt to print, the job goes to the printer spool (I can see it appear and quickly disappears) but never prints. Users get no errors or any other indication that the file does not print. Has anyone else experienced this problem, or know a possible fix? Jeff Hi does this happen only with Excel documents? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Jeff" <jeff4379@news.postalias> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:#IcJGVX2EHA.1124@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > A few of my users have the problem in excel when they attempt to p...

Excel #27
i am doing a worksheet and need to know what a page in a spreadsheet is called. it begins with W. x EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Self-Updating Service Command Pattern MSMQ Invoker http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/56da6071-0b12-4c99-986f-ce836e2d32e0/selfupdating-service-com.aspx I'm fairly certain that it was explained on the first page of your reading assignment. Charlie wrote: > i am doing a worksheet and need to know what a page in a spreadsheet is called. it begins with W. x > > EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice > Self...

Excel 2007 #11
I want to protect a sheet but still allow users to use the AutoSum feature on unlocked cells. Apparently this isn't possible? Doesn't make much sense, given that you can enter other formulas from the Function Library. ...

Excel cell format
I have quaotes around one of my cell, I have Rodgruiz, JR in the cell and it is defined as a text field. why is it putting quaotes around my name -- AG Try clicking on the cell press F2 and enter then delete quotes if the are still ther -- scottymellot ----------------------------------------------------------------------- scottymelloty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=380 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31450 ...

Scripting Excel with Python via appscript
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, <br> has anyone else here used Python as a scripting language? One of the (maybe unintended) consequences of MS making Applescript the only scripting possibility is that through AppScript (http://appscript.sourceforge.net/) one can also use Python (and Ruby and Cocoa/Objective C). <br> This allows for great new possibilities (just think of the many libraries available for Python), although I have three issues: <br> 1) being used to Excel's VBA api I still have to adapt to the AS dict...

Excel 2000 autosum not adding correctly
I use Excel 2000 and have been for some time. Today I placed dollar amounts in a column and then hit autosum. I was given a total of $5887.70. I then added the last numbers in my head and also a calculator and the total was $5887.71, off by 1 on the last digit. I tried numerous times getting the same results. All of the cells have been formatted for currency with 2 decimal points. Does anyone have an explanation? Sure. What are the ACTUAL values in the cells? If you've got values like 123.456, these are rounding up. Instead of using formatting to round the cells, round them ...

Entering 18 digit number in Excel
Dear All, I am trying to enter a 18 digit number in one cell. Surprisingly, the lasst two digits are automatically being changed to 00. The number i tried to enter is - 857013340418093014. The last two digits i.e. 14 is automatically changed to 00! Could any one of you please help. Thanks & Regards, Jaipal Singal. <jaipal1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:50262a6f-d859-42c2-9171-494650141076@l28g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > Dear All, > > I am trying to enter a 18 digit number in one cell. Surprisingly, the > lasst two digits are automatically being changed to 00. &g...

Help with speeding up macro
Evening all, A colleague and I are just having some issues with a macro's speed in Excel 2003 (in '07 it takes about 1m40, which I could live with, but in 03, I've not managed to wait it out till the end yet...). Basically, what we're doing is devising a costing model for a college so that it can apportion overheads into courses. This requires using various drivers (three to be precise) and taking percentages so that the split accuratly reflects the activity undertaken by each course. Anyway, that's just some background that will probably be of no use. But t...

excel vba
Basically, what will happen is they click the save/print commanbutton o the sheet, this brings up a userform asking them yes or no, what wil now happen is when they click on either yes or no commandbuttons, want a code to recognize if one of the four option buttons on the shee has been selected, if one has been selected it will run its course. I not, it will close the save/print userform and select cell "K5" fo example whereby they can choose an option button and move on. What would be the selection recognition code that i could store in m save/print userform? thank -- Message p...

Help with dates wanted
Can anybody help me with a dilemma I have in excel. It all revolves around calendar dates, dates from and dates to and dates in between. What I am trying to do is construct a spreadsheet which will show me a date in the future from a date I have entered. For example: I want to put a date in say cell A1 (Date of Commencement of work) and from this date a set of rules will apply. I want to enter a date in cell A2 (first day of sickness) and from this date be able to use a chart to determine how much sick pay an employee is eligible for. The rules of sick pay entitlement are time based ...

Excel formula help #2
I am VERY new to spreadsheets! Is there a formula that will calculate the % change in my investments from one entry to the next? In other words, if January's value of a stock is $10, and February's value is $12, and March's value is $6, can I get a cell that will show a 20% increase for Feb, and change to (50%) loss when I enter March's value? I hope this is clear! Thanks for any help! Susan Hi Susan, Very clear! assuming Jan in A1, Feb in B1, Mar in C1, etc. enter this in B2 =(B1-A1)/A1 and format as a a percentage, then just copy across If you want to setup ...

Exchange 2007 RPC/HTTP Help
I have searched the internet and found several pages where my problem was listed, but never could I find anything to resolve it. I'm running 2 servers. One has the CA and HT roles, the other has the MB and HT roles. When I type "Test-OutlookWebServices | FL", I get the following errors, and it is the same weather I run the command on the Mailbox server or the CAS Server. Id : 1013 Type : Error Message : When contacting https://mail.domain.com/Rpc received the error The server committed a protocol violation. Section=ResponseStatusLine Id : 101...

runner's log in excel??
Does anyone know of runner's logs that are set up in excel? ...

"Disk Full" Message from Excel 97
Two users with Win 98 SE systems running Excel 97 with current SR updates. They are part of a Windows 2003 domain. Occasionally, when they go to save spreadsheets to a network share they get a message saying "disk is full". The disk, in this case, is definitely NOT full. The problem only happens occasionally and it never happens with Word documents. Has ayone come across this problem before? Thanks. Hi John You receive the "Disk is Full" error message when you save a workbook in Excel http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;214245 Error Messa...

Trouble using solver with Microsoft Excel 2007
I have made several attempts to get solver to work on Excel 2007. I keep getting an error stating I need a VBA converter. Anyone have suggestions. I tried updating to service pack 1 with no better success. I have tried reinstalling the program and have searched the knowledge base. ...

Unable to open Excel file #4
Error message: File cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding. The file was not saved as read-only and the file is on a diskette. Sounds like a bad disk. Copy the disk to the hard drive somewhere an try to open there. -- kkkni ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kkknie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=754 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26520 Vic Cop...

Oops sent to wrong forum: Excel Macros
Hi: I have a workbook with 14 worksheets. I need 14 macros I want the name of the macro to be the name of each worksheet. ex. FA2E, FA3E, FA4E, etc. the macro is the same except for referencing the worksheet name. I have the first macro and am copying/pasting 14 times, changing the worksheet name and macro name. However, it doesn't work properly. About the 5 copy/past excel seems to want to call the macro by the name of the workbook, dot, worksheet. What am I doing wrong. When I open up tools, macro, I want to see the 14 names as stated above. Because, I have a final macro th...

Excel Macro #2
Excel tip needed. I "recorded" a quick little macro for an Excel report and now I want to send this file out to customers. But everytime you open it, you are asked if you want to disable or enable the macros due to viruses. Is there a way to keep this macro, but not have customers get this message? Thanks! Hi Derek! No need to post to more than one group. This involves changing your customer's security settings. Post the details of the macro and it might be possible to achieve the same objectives without it. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njha...

Counting in Excel #5
Got it! Thanks to all of you for your help -- Angel16 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Angel160's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1550 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27561 glad to help -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Angel160" <Angel160.1f98km@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Angel160.1f98km@excelforum-nospam.com... > > Got it! Thanks to all of you for your help. > > > -- > Angel160 > ---------------...

FAO Conrad Calberg (Excel Sales Forecasting...)
Hello, I just bought your new book. To my dismay I found out that the data files used in the book are NOT available, nor is your contact (both in book and publisher's website). I am not keen on using newsgroups so I do not know where to locate u; I suppose you use them since u mention them in your book. If you happen to see this, please reply as I am in very much need of the book's data files! If anyone who reads this can help, I would appreciate it a lot. Thank you Why don't you write to the publishers? -- HTH Bob Phillips <d.stephanou@gmail.com> wrote in message...

Memory could not be read "Help Me!!"
With in a workbook I'm working that contains macros I keep getting a Error of : The instruction at "0x3010e069" referenced memory at "0x000000c". Th memory could not be "read". This workbook also reteives data from a database on a server. Th major confusing problem is it works on one machine, but will result i the prior error code on another. As far as I can tell the machines ar identical. Any clues -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Just a guess, but this sounds like a hardware problem--you may want to get someone to test your memory ...

How do I advance to next line when typing in the formula bar?
When typing in the formula bar in Excel - I want to be able to advance to the next line (just as you would in Word). How do I do that? Pressng enter just takes me to the next cell.... Alt/Enter bob Umlas "Penguin" <Penguin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:898B8E17-460F-42B2-A64E-4D58BC1A3C58@microsoft.com... > When typing in the formula bar in Excel - I want to be able to advance to the > next line (just as you would in Word). How do I do that? Pressng enter just > takes me to the next cell.... Hold down the Alt keep and press Return, this wi...