Excel formula help #2

I am VERY new to spreadsheets!  Is there a formula that will calculate the %
change in my investments from one entry to the next?  In other words, if
January's value of a stock is $10, and February's value is $12, and March's
value is $6, can I get a cell that will show a  20% increase for Feb, and
change to (50%) loss when I enter March's value?  I hope this is clear!
Thanks for any help!
Susan
0
Susan (148)

Hi Susan,

Very clear!

assuming Jan in A1, Feb in B1, Mar in C1, etc. enter this in B2

=(B1-A1)/A1

and format as a a percentage, then just copy across

If you want to setup for the year, use

=IF(B1="","",(B1-A1)/A1)

--

HTH

RP

"Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am VERY new to spreadsheets!  Is there a formula that will calculate the
%
> change in my investments from one entry to the next?  In other words, if
> January's value of a stock is $10, and February's value is $12, and
March's
> value is $6, can I get a cell that will show a  20% increase for Feb, and
> change to (50%) loss when I enter March's value?  I hope this is clear!
> Thanks for any help!
> Susan

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
5/20/2005 7:10:02 PM
I think this will work!  I'll try it next week and let you know how I do!
Thanks!
--
Susan

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Hi Susan,
>
> Very clear!
>
> assuming Jan in A1, Feb in B1, Mar in C1, etc. enter this in B2
>
> =(B1-A1)/A1
>
> and format as a a percentage, then just copy across
>
> If you want to setup for the year, use
>
> =IF(B1="","",(B1-A1)/A1)
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> RP
>

> "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am VERY new to spreadsheets!  Is there a formula that will calculate the
> %
> > change in my investments from one entry to the next?  In other words, if
> > January's value of a stock is $10, and February's value is $12, and
> March's
> > value is $6, can I get a cell that will show a  20% increase for Feb, and
> > change to (50%) loss when I enter March's value?  I hope this is clear!
> > Thanks for any help!
> > Susan

0
Susan (148)
5/20/2005 8:54:08 PM
Susan,

Suggest starting a new thread if it doesn't

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

> I think this will work!  I'll try it next week and let you know how I do!
> Thanks!
> --
> Susan
>

> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
> > Hi Susan,
> >
> > Very clear!
> >
> > assuming Jan in A1, Feb in B1, Mar in C1, etc. enter this in B2
> >
> > =(B1-A1)/A1
> >
> > and format as a a percentage, then just copy across
> >
> > If you want to setup for the year, use
> >
> > =IF(B1="","",(B1-A1)/A1)
> >
> > --
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > RP
> >

> > "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I am VERY new to spreadsheets!  Is there a formula that will calculate
the
> > %
> > > change in my investments from one entry to the next?  In other words,
if
> > > January's value of a stock is $10, and February's value is $12, and
> > March's
> > > value is $6, can I get a cell that will show a  20% increase for Feb,
and
> > > change to (50%) loss when I enter March's value?  I hope this is
clear!
> > > Thanks for any help!
> > > Susan

0
phillips1 (803)

Convert Excel Tables to Pivot Table Lists
Excel Tables to Pivot Lists Hello, I'm trying to convert excel tables into pivot table lists and I am looking for a method to do this besides cutting and pasting. The table has 6 columns (see below) with count of product for each year e.g. xxx1 prod1 100 in Yr1, 200 in Yr2, 300 in Yr3 etc. I want to end up with a 4 column list like, (see "Get into pivot table list in this form) Thanks Home....Prod....Yr1....Yr2....Yr3....Yr4 xxx1.....prod1....100....200....300....400 xxx2.....prod2....110....210....310....410 xxx1.....prod3....120....220....320....420 xxx2.....prod4....130....2...

Rewriting a formula...
I have a spreadsheet that calculates totals and has formulas in certain columns. Is is possible to have the formulas work, but not have any numbers in the cells before I input them? For example, in column D, I have the simple formula =D9+E9, and so on and so forth down to =D25+E25. I may only put itmes in until D11. So in D12 thru D25, I have $0.00. Can I rewrite this formula, possible an IF/THEN statement to add the two columns, but not show the $0.00 in D12 thru D25, since I did not have to do any addition? My main goal is to not have this info in D12 thru D25 print to make the sheet ...

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Microsoft POS #2

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Excel not Access

if cell starts with characters formula
Hi I need to count cells in a column starting with certain characters. each cell's data varies in length. I have tried with @countif( but does not work if the cell contains other characters after the "prefix". eg. row 20 cell 5 apples row 21 cell 5 apples red row 22 cell 5 apples green row 23 cell 5 plums green row 23 cell 5 plums purple totals required for apples = 3 (regardless of colour) total required for plums = 2 (regardless of colour) @countif(C20:c30,"plums") gives answer of 1 require answer of 2 @countif(C20:c30,&quo...

Excel 2007

formula based on format

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Need help with Auto Filter