EXCEL ANSWER TO FORMULA DOES NOT SHOW UP

I set up a formula adding a set of numbers in a column, e.g.=sum(c1:c34).
The formula is correct but I got a zero as an answer.  I set up the same
formula in another column and it gives me the correct answer, e.g. $2,500. I
tried copying this formula to the first one on the same row.  And it returns
$2,500.

What is going on?
0
LionR (1)

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 05:54:01 -0800, LionR <LionR@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I set up a formula adding a set of numbers in a column, e.g.=sum(c1:c34).
>The formula is correct but I got a zero as an answer.  I set up the same
>formula in another column and it gives me the correct answer, e.g. $2,500. I
>tried copying this formula to the first one on the same row.  And it returns
>$2,500.
>
>What is going on?

Possibly your "numbers" in c1:c34 are text.

What do you get if, in some cell, you type:  =istext(c1)

How are the data entered in column C?
--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
11/8/2008 2:52:30 PM
I'll give a practical advise (One of those clerical problems)

go to cell C1

hit "F2" key and then followed by "Enter" Key

cell c1 is converted to number.

the selection will go to cell c2

Do the above activity 33 more time and you are done
--
Kind Regards,
Satti Charvak

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 05:54:01 -0800, LionR <LionR@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I set up a formula adding a set of numbers in a column, e.g.=sum(c1:c34).
> >The formula is correct but I got a zero as an answer.  I set up the same
> >formula in another column and it gives me the correct answer, e.g. $2,500. I
> >tried copying this formula to the first one on the same row.  And it returns
> >$2,500.
> >
> >What is going on?
>
> Possibly your "numbers" in c1:c34 are text.
>
> What do you get if, in some cell, you type:  =istext(c1)
>
> How are the data entered in column C?
> --ron

Hi,

Problem:
When numbers are enter as text they may not calculate within formulas as
they should.  A few formulas will work fine despite the numbers being entered
as text.  Numbers can be stored as text by 1. preformatting the cell to Text
and entering the number, 2. Typing an apostrophy in front of the number '123,
3. Because the data was downloaded from a soure inwhich it was stored as a
number, 4. Because you used the Text to Columns command and converted it to
text., and....

There is no sure indicator that a number is stored as text, although numbers
are usually right aligned and text left aligned, this may not be the case.
If you are using a later version of Excel, Error Checking green triangles may
appear at the top left corner of these cell, but this feature may be off or
the version of Excel may not support it. (2000 and earlier).

You can find out what data type the entries are by using the =ISTEXT(A1) or
=ISNUMBER(A1) functions.  You can not tell by checking the Format.  If a
number was entered in a cell preformatted as General or as a number, then it
will be a number, even if it's current format is Text.  Likewise a number
entered in a cell preformatted as Text will be text even if it's current
format is Number, General, Date, Currency and the like.

Solution:
1. Change the format to one that is numeric and then reenter the numbers
(too slow and error prone.)
2. Select the cells and open the Error Checking options and choose Convert
to Numbers.
3. Select an empty cell and copy it.  Select the text number cell and choose
Edit, Paste Special, Add (or Subtract).  This method is ~100 times faster
than #2.

Dates are numbers, and if they are stored as text, you will not get an Error
Checking triangle, so method #3 is obligatory if there is a substantial
number of dates to convert.

If this information is helpful, please click the Yes button.
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"LionR" wrote:

> I set up a formula adding a set of numbers in a column, e.g.=sum(c1:c34).
> The formula is correct but I got a zero as an answer.  I set up the same
> formula in another column and it gives me the correct answer, e.g. $2,500. I
> tried copying this formula to the first one on the same row.  And it returns
> $2,500.
>
> What is going on?
In your 'practical advice', you forgot to ensure that the cell is NOT
formatted as text. Because if the cell is formatted as text (C1:C34), then
editing the cell by F2 & Enter isn't practical at all.
Practical advice would be to highlight the cells C1:C34, ensure formatted as
general (or if preferred, as number). Type a 0 into an empty cell. Copy that
cell, then select your range C1:C34, Paste Special --> select Add and OK out.
--
** John C **

"Satti Charvak" wrote:

> I'll give a practical advise (One of those clerical problems)
>
> go to cell C1
>
> hit "F2" key and then followed by "Enter" Key
>
> cell c1 is converted to number.
>

> the selection will go to cell c2
>
> Do the above activity 33 more time and you are done
> --
> Kind Regards,
> Satti Charvak
> Only an Excel Enthusiast
> Noida, India
>

> "Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 05:54:01 -0800, LionR <LionR@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I set up a formula adding a set of numbers in a column, e.g.=sum(c1:c34).
> > >The formula is correct but I got a zero as an answer.  I set up the same
> > >formula in another column and it gives me the correct answer, e.g. $2,500. I
> > >tried copying this formula to the first one on the same row.  And it returns
> > >$2,500.
> > >
> > >What is going on?
> >
> > Possibly your "numbers" in c1:c34 are text.
> >
> > What do you get if, in some cell, you type:  =istext(c1)
> >
> > How are the data entered in column C?
> > --ron

No need to type 0 into the cell, copy an empty cell is enough

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"John C" <johnc@stateofdenial> wrote in message
> In your 'practical advice', you forgot to ensure that the cell is NOT
> formatted as text. Because if the cell is formatted as text (C1:C34), then
> editing the cell by F2 & Enter isn't practical at all.
> Practical advice would be to highlight the cells C1:C34, ensure formatted
> as
> general (or if preferred, as number). Type a 0 into an empty cell. Copy
> that
> cell, then select your range C1:C34, Paste Special --> select Add and OK
> out.
> --
> ** John C **
>
> "Satti Charvak" wrote:
>
>> I'll give a practical advise (One of those clerical problems)
>>
>> go to cell C1
>>
>> hit "F2" key and then followed by "Enter" Key
>>
>> cell c1 is converted to number.
>>

>> the selection will go to cell c2
>>
>> Do the above activity 33 more time and you are done
>> --
>> Kind Regards,
>> Satti Charvak
>> Only an Excel Enthusiast
>> Noida, India
>>

>> "Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:
>>
>> > On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 05:54:01 -0800, LionR
>> > <LionR@discussions.microsoft.com>

>> > Possibly your "numbers" in c1:c34 are text.
>> >
>> > What do you get if, in some cell, you type:  =istext(c1)
>> >
>> > How are the data entered in column C?
>> > --ron

0
peo.sjoblom (169)
11/10/2008 5:12:37 PM
I said type a 0 in an empty cell, as is a double check that they aren't
adding hidden characters that may be a random blank cell they copy.
--
** John C **

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> No need to type 0 into the cell, copy an empty cell is enough
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>

> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "John C" <johnc@stateofdenial> wrote in message
> > In your 'practical advice', you forgot to ensure that the cell is NOT
> > formatted as text. Because if the cell is formatted as text (C1:C34), then
> > editing the cell by F2 & Enter isn't practical at all.
> > Practical advice would be to highlight the cells C1:C34, ensure formatted
> > as
> > general (or if preferred, as number). Type a 0 into an empty cell. Copy
> > that
> > cell, then select your range C1:C34, Paste Special --> select Add and OK
> > out.
> > --
> > ** John C **
> >
> > "Satti Charvak" wrote:
> >
> >> I'll give a practical advise (One of those clerical problems)
> >>
> >> go to cell C1
> >>
> >> hit "F2" key and then followed by "Enter" Key
> >>
> >> cell c1 is converted to number.
> >>

> >> the selection will go to cell c2
> >>
> >> Do the above activity 33 more time and you are done
> >> --
> >> Kind Regards,
> >> Satti Charvak
> >> Only an Excel Enthusiast
> >> Noida, India

Well if you are unsure if the cell contains hidden characters then you
should be unsure that the cell is formatted as text as well so the zero
wouldn't help much in that case. The fastest way otherwise would be to make
sure the numbers seen as text are formatted as general or numbers then do
data>text to columns and click finish

--

>I said type a 0 in an empty cell, as is a double check that they aren't
> adding hidden characters that may be a random blank cell they copy.
> --
> ** John C **
>

> "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
>
>> No need to type 0 into the cell, copy an empty cell is enough
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>> Peo Sjoblom
>>
>> "John C" <johnc@stateofdenial> wrote in message
>> > In your 'practical advice', you forgot to ensure that the cell is NOT
>> > formatted as text. Because if the cell is formatted as text (C1:C34),
>> > then
>> > editing the cell by F2 & Enter isn't practical at all.
>> > Practical advice would be to highlight the cells C1:C34, ensure
>> > formatted
>> > as
>> > general (or if preferred, as number). Type a 0 into an empty cell. Copy
>> > that
>> > cell, then select your range C1:C34, Paste Special --> select Add and
>> > OK
>> > out.
>> > --
>> > ** John C **

0
peo.sjoblom (169)
11/10/2008 6:16:19 PM
Type ="" into a cell, then, copy that cell, and paste special with your
range, doesn't work.
--
** John C **

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> Well if you are unsure if the cell contains hidden characters then you
> should be unsure that the cell is formatted as text as well so the zero
> wouldn't help much in that case. The fastest way otherwise would be to make
> sure the numbers seen as text are formatted as general or numbers then do
> data>text to columns and click finish
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>

> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "John C" <johnc@stateofdenial> wrote in message
> >I said type a 0 in an empty cell, as is a double check that they aren't
> > adding hidden characters that may be a random blank cell they copy.
> > --
> > ** John C **
> >

> > "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
> >
> >> No need to type 0 into the cell, copy an empty cell is enough
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >>

> >> Peo Sjoblom
> >>
> >> "John C" <johnc@stateofdenial> wrote in message

But then it is not empty, I said empty cells, cells with formulas are not
empty

--

> Type ="" into a cell, then, copy that cell, and paste special with your
> range, doesn't work.
> --
> ** John C **
>
> "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
>
>> Well if you are unsure if the cell contains hidden characters then you
>> should be unsure that the cell is formatted as text as well so the zero
>> wouldn't help much in that case. The fastest way otherwise would be to
>> make
>> sure the numbers seen as text are formatted as general or numbers then do
>> data>text to columns and click finish
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>> Peo Sjoblom
>>
>> "John C" <johnc@stateofdenial> wrote in message
>> >I said type a 0 in an empty cell, as is a double check that they aren't
>> > adding hidden characters that may be a random blank cell they copy.
>> > --
>> > ** John C **

0
peo.sjoblom (169)
11/10/2008 7:51:46 PM
And all new users know the difference between empty cell and a cell that
looks empty. Yep, you bet.
--
** John C **