Excel +won't +merge cells in a column. Is my formatting blocking .

--
Blue Heeler1 to Outlook User Improvement community & wizards

Hi,

Rather cryptic message in the body?  More details on the cells to be merged
and messages returned if any.

Cheers,
Shane DEvenshire

"Blue Heeler1" wrote:

> --
> Blue Heeler1 to Outlook User Improvement community & wizards
Ditto Blue Heeler's prob.  I want to merge Col. A and Column B.  (Last name =
Col. A; First name = col. B)   I can select both, but where to I find a merge
command?  The "merge and center" command is not lit up so that won't work.

"Blue Heeler1" wrote:

> --
> Blue Heeler1 to Outlook User Improvement community & wizards
You wouldn't want to do that in any case.  That's not what "merging" means.

"Merge" button merges the selected cells but will drop any data except for
the top left cell of the selection.

What you want is to "combine" the two columns.

In C1 enter   =A1&" "&B1

Copy down.

Be thankful you have no access to the merge and center button.

You save yourself no end of grief.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 17:33:00 -0800, chaucersmom
<chaucersmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Ditto Blue Heeler's prob.  I want to merge Col. A and Column B.  (Last name =
>Col. A; First name = col. B)   I can select both, but where to I find a merge
>command?  The "merge and center" command is not lit up so that won't work.
>
>"Blue Heeler1" wrote:
>

>> --
>> Blue Heeler1 to Outlook User Improvement community & wizards

0
Gord
1/5/2009 3:54:01 AM
Whew.  Thanks for saving me from myself!

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> You wouldn't want to do that in any case.  That's not what "merging" means.
>
> "Merge" button merges the selected cells but will drop any data except for
> the top left cell of the selection.
>
> What you want is to "combine" the two columns.
>
> In C1 enter   =A1&" "&B1
>
> Copy down.
>
> Be thankful you have no access to the merge and center button.
>
> You save yourself no end of grief.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>

> On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 17:33:00 -0800, chaucersmom
> <chaucersmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Ditto Blue Heeler's prob.  I want to merge Col. A and Column B.  (Last name =
> >Col. A; First name = col. B)   I can select both, but where to I find a merge
> >command?  The "merge and center" command is not lit up so that won't work.
> >
> >"Blue Heeler1" wrote:
> >

> >> --
> >> Blue Heeler1 to Outlook User Improvement community & wizards

Converting QuatroPro to Excel
How can convert a quatropro spreadsheet to an excel spreadsheet. Any help? Thanks, Bob Open the file in Quattro Pro and save it in one of the supplied Excel formats. -- Regards Andy Wiggins www.BygSoftware.com Home of "Save and BackUp", "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA" "Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36c601c40128$9e26a970$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How can convert a quatropro spreadsheet to an excel > spreadsheet. Any help? > Thanks, > Bob ...

Using part of a cell in a chart title

visible cell only

Excel 2007

move cell contents

Excel not Access

Counting number of X's in a column

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Opening Excel Workbooks

help with simple maths in excel

formula based on format

How do I use traffic lights in excel

formating date from general2 custom
I have an input xls file with the date but like this: Wed May 14 00:00:00 GMT-05:00 2008 I need to have just following format dd/mm/yyyy I tried to format it using Format->Cells->Date or Format->Cells- >Custom but this is failing. Nothing changed. Any ideas? Thanks for the help. Vlad <vladimir.vaynshtok@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1013b138-352b-4799-81ba-9508b74a1850@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... >I have an input xls file with the date but like this: > > Wed May 14 00:00:00 GMT-05:00 2008 > > I need to have just following format > > d...

Excel Problem