Enforce format

How can I "enforce" a format in a cell in excel so that it allows number
entry only, i.e. it does not allow letters or any other characters.
Thanks in advance.
Keith
0
Elfey1001 (1)

Data Validation; custom formula; If active cell is A1, use this:
=NOT(ISERROR(1*A1))

"Elfey1001" <Elfey1001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I "enforce" a format in a cell in excel so that it allows number
> entry only, i.e. it does not allow letters or any other characters.
> Thanks in advance.
> Keith

0
rumlas (268)
10/12/2009 8:28:34 PM
In EXCEL 2007:-

Data / Data Tools / Data Validation / Data Validation / Settings tab /
Allow: field - in here you can do what you want plus a variety of other
options.

Thanks!

"Elfey1001" wrote:

> How can I "enforce" a format in a cell in excel so that it allows number
> entry only, i.e. it does not allow letters or any other characters.
> Thanks in advance.
> Keith
0
info9487 (39)

spreadsheet format
My spreadsheet has both the rows and columns labeled with numbers, instead of the columns being labeled by letters. How do I switch this back? Dave, tools options, general, uncheck R1C1 reference style -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 2003 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:285301c49e96$f4738170$a301280a@phx.gbl... >...

Import Multiple Excel Tables-Same Format
I have an excel spreadsheet with 12 tabs, each a different month of the year. Each tab is formatted identically. I am trying to import all/each of these 12 tables into a single access table. The first import works just fine, however, when I go to import the second tab of data, I get a pop up message stating: An error occurred trying to import file '<my file name/path is here.xls>'. The file was not imported. This tells me nothing as to why it was not imported. The souce excel file is closed and not being accessed. Any ideas what's going on here? I could append a...

Date format #21
I can't see how to format the date in the UK manner, i.e. 6/12/09, rather than in the US manner 12/6/09. Can anyone help? Excel 2000. Rob Graham Select the range to format Format|Cells|Number tab Choose date and look to see if the day, month year is in the order you like. If it is, you can use that. If it's not, choose Custom and type: dd/mm/yyyy (or what you like) If the values don't change, then your dates aren't really dates. They're plain old text that look like dates. Select your range (one column at a time) data|text to columns Fixed width remove any lines t...

Formatting a chart -
I have a chart of type stock, sub-type high-low-close. I format the chart to make it look the way I want, but then when I select a different datarange all of the formatting goes away. This doesn't happen with any other type of chart that I have built. Does anybody know why the formatting would be dropped? Why would selecting a slightly different datarange drop all of the formatting? For example if I chart row Jan - June and format the chart. Then go back into the data and select Feb - July, all the formatting drops, fonts change, line colors change etc. Email me with any questi...

automatically format dates in a cell
Hi All, when I type a date into a cell, it automatically converts it to a date-time variable and formats it according to the system parameters. Is there any way I can turn this off? I don't want my date as a date time variable, nor do I want it to format to what the system format is. thanks stephan I'm not sure what a "date time variable" is, but if you want an XL date, but in the format you specify, preformat the cells with that format. If you don't want the date converted to an XL date at all, then preformat the cells as Text. They will then be left in whatev...

How to specify text format when importing CSV files?
I would like to prevent Excel from attempting to interpret the data type when importing CSV files, and instead always format all fields as Text. For example, even if a csv field looks like a date, I want it formatted as Text. When importing a file ending in .txt, the Text Import Wizard lets me interactively specify each field type individually. That works OK except when I import files with many fields (100+), it is a burden to click on each field individually and specify text. Can I make Text format the default when importing txt and csv files? Thanks. I don't know of any way ...

Conditional Formatting Question MS Access 20002
I have a date field in a report that changes color depending on a date - so many days. This works fine. But I need to also have the color change based on a date field in another column. I have tried setting conditional formatting like this. [operations accept] >= 01/01/2000 this does not work however. Can you tell me how I can set this. This is condition 3 by the way. Also what is condition 3 the last condition to be met so that it would over rule condition 2 to change the color. Thanks in advance. bcfreeze wrote: >I have a date field in a report that changes color depending on ...

ODBC outputs to Access 2 format [tables only], how?.
?do I put a bridge in place to convert the Access 2 tables into Access 2000, so we end up with the tables in Access 2000 format? I would like this to happen automatically (in code?) so no user intervention is needed. Can anyone help? Cheers Dave. ***************************************** * This message was posted via http://www.accessmonster.com * * Report spam or abuse by clicking the following URL: * http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Abuse.aspx?aid=38cf47fb43af4f2aa45a8e380626f74a ***************************************** ...

formatting cells #4
is there a formula to put the work "active" in all cells in a column automatically unless a date is entered to indicate inactive? Thank you Katherine you could test for a numeric input and maybe even put validation on the cells then use something like =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),"","Active") where in this case A1 would hold the date/blank copy down along -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "katie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5975...

Outlook 2003: Reply to messages using format in which they were sent
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0050_01C3C567.15199F90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Apologies if this has already been discussed here - I couldn't find any = answer. When replying or forwarding an email that was sent in plain text format, = Outlook 2003 does not have any option to force HTML on it. It always = defaults to plain text. I have often unchecked the option on Outlook = Express called "Reply to messages using format in which they were sent" = and that did the tr...

Conditional format to cells containing a #DIV/0! error
I would like to apply a conditional format to an entire spreadsheet. In particular, if a cell returns and error such as #DIV/0! I would the selected font color to be white. What do I have to enter in the conditional formatting menu? If I set the value of the cell equal to #DIV/0!, the format does not work. A solution that I found could be to use the GoTo functions to select the cells with errors and then manually apply the color, but since I am creating a template at a later point the empty cells that return the divided by zero error may contain a number. Basically I would like the cells t...

Template format changes
How do I change the default formatting for "$", "%" and"," when I open a NEW file? When I enter a large number and select comma formatting, it gives me two decimals, and I want none. I would like one decimal with percent format. Older versions of Excel allowed you to save a normal.xlt file with changes. When I add a personal template, Excel won't load it without me selecting it each time. Tom Excel never had a Normal.xlt, it had a BOOK.XLT Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish. File>Save As Type: scroll down to Excel Template(*.XLT) and s...

Maintaining table formatting when pasting into web client email body?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Hi, can anyone tell me how to paste a portion of an excel table into the body of a Microsoft Outlook Web Access email such that the table maintains all of its formatting (alignment)? I can't seem to figure it out. <br> Thx. <br> Bri ...

a status like "checking" to change to date format when completed
I am creating a DB that is for Tracking engineering drawings. I want to have a status field that has the following 1. not started 2. in process 3. in checking 4 complete / Date completed Is it possible to have the complete status change to a date somehow? I want to avoid having two fields, a status field and a complete field I would suggest that you may want to change that to have four date fields. DateReceived DateStarted DateReviewStarted DateComplete That way you can easily check its status in the process and get a complete timeline. but to answer your speci...

Counting number of rows with Cond. Formatting to avoid save problem (KB 215783)
Hi Chaps I have hit the problem where I get the following message when I save my large, old xls: "Excel could not save all the data and formatting you recently added to <my file>.xls" I have read through these groups and the MS KB and it seems the only reason this would happen is if I exceed 2050 rows of conditional formatting. I have written some code to try determine how many rows I have conditional formatting - but this tells me I have only 1772 rows. My code is below - can anyone see anything wrong with it which may be under reporting the number of lines with CF? Does ...

Text box formatted to General Number with 2 decimal places NOT allowing the decimal place.
When we enter data into this text box that's formatted it will not show the decimal places. Can anyone tell me what I've got wrong? Formatted how? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "p-rat" <osupratt@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a9fdc625-105d-4713-b0ae-3c1092c8db07@f47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com... > When we enter data into this text box that's formatted it will not > show the decimal places. Can anyone tell me what I've got wrong? Check the field of the table it is bound to to see if it is an integer field. -- KARL DEWEY Build a li...

format/picture in email

column formatted to general
In my spreadsheet I have a particular column that I have formatted to general but anytime I enter numbers into a cell in that column, it automatically changes it to a date and I have to re-format that cell to general. What type of numbers? Like 1-12 or similar? Pre-format the cells as Text or preface the numbers with an apostrophe. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:45:08 -0700, lilsparkdog <lilsparkdog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In my spreadsheet I have a particular column that I have formatted to general >but anytime I enter numbers into a cell in...

Text Box
I would like to have the same size text box on multiple pages that are linked. I have tried right clicking the text box, selecting Format Text Box and checking Apply Settings to New Text Boxes, but it doesn't appear to work. When I add text to the box and it runs out of space, Publisher asks if I want to insert a new text box and connect it, and I accept, the new text box is the wrong size, and sometimes comes in with a black border rather than the no line border I have designated. Is there another method to easily accomplish what I want? I have read several posts that recommend...

Conditional Formatting in data table of a chart
I'm using Excel 2007, and trying to apply conditional formatting to the data table of a line chart. I've tried creating the chart without the formatting applied to cells with the original data (data source), and then applying the format to the source; as well as creating the chart after applying the format to the source. The data table in the chart will naturally update with changed data since it is linked, but will not incorporate any style formatting. Any thought? Thanks. Data tables in charts are not particularly flexible. They do not, for example, support conditional fo...

I need help formating a template for finanical reporting

How do I add the next month to a calendar w/o loosing cust format
Created a calendar page for the office with custom logo and address info. The calendar wizard changes everything back to the default when changing the date range. Help file says to add dates to retain custom elements but not 'How' to add dates. What's the best way to create a custom calendar and retain the formatting? The address lines and the logo are determined by your personal information. Look under Edit, the personal information is the very last item in the menu. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com ...

Number formatting #6
i type "2" and it automatically converts to ".02". I do not want this. Any idea what I did to get this and how do I get my old excel back? Thanks in advance This is a new one for me. It sounds like you are somehow converting a percentage to a decimal. 2.00% 0.02 If that's not the case, than I'm not aware of any other number format that automatically divides a number by 100. Maybe it's something build into Excel 2007 (I'm on 2003). Try messing with the number formats for all your data if you're entering directly into Excel. Regards, That On...

Conditonal Formatting
Hi Everyone! I am trying to find a formula (if there is one) to accomplish the following task in a worksheet containing several thousand rows: Setting the height for the rows in the document depending on the number of lines in a particular row, i.e the height of all rows that have “one line” should be 20, the ones with 2 lines should be 25 or 30, etc., instead of manually selecting every single row and then setting the row height. Thanks. Hi this is not possible with a formula but this would require VBA (a macro) Is this a feasible way for you? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany ...

Regional Options from control panel not displayed in Format Cells
Please can somone help me. I have searched on this topic but Alas I can not find an answer. So here is my question. When you set your number formats under control panel -> Regional options they are the ones EXCEL should use for formatting. My example is I want Parenthesis around my negative numbers ( ) . I do not want a - sign infront of number or it to be RED. So I have set my negative number symbol to () under the regional options. But if you start Excel and put in a negative number then goto Format cells -> numbers the option STILL show only a - or RED. I.E. it does not give...