Drop Down box - value selection initiates auto population of subsequent fields

Good luck understanding my confusing description below:

I am making an invoice template ("InvoiceWorksheet") to be used fo
multiple products from multiple manufacturers.

I would like to select a product from a dropdown box A1 and have al
subsequent fields automatically populate with information about m
chosen product based on info from the "DataWorksheet" (a secon
worksheet within this Excel file).

_InvoiceWorksheet_setup:_
Cell A1 - I select BlueWidget from a dropdown.
Cell A2 - automatically populates with BlueWidgetManufacturerName.
Cell A3 - automatically populates with BlueWidgetWholesale Price.
etc.

_DataWorksheet_setup:_
Column 1 - Product names (mapped to dropdown box A1 o
InvoiceWorksheet)
Column 2 - Manufacturer Name
Column 3 - Wholesale Price

_Excel_function_I_started_with_is:_
=IF(logical_test,value_if_true,value_if_false)

_One_of_my_dismal_attempts:_
=IF(A1=DataWorksheet!A1,DataWorksheet!A2,if(A1=DataWorksheet!B1,DataWorksheet!B2))

1) First of all, if the TRUE result is a value from the othe
worksheet, should it be listed in "" or [] or nothing?

2) The "FALSE" option: If the logical test proves FALSE, I want it t
do an IF formula  to find out if a different value in the dropdown cel
is TRUE.  Should that portion of the formula start a new ()? Is it t
come right after the comma as I did above?

3) I have over 300 products that will be on the dropdown list.  ;)

I hope I haven't confused the reader beyond belief

--
kelleram
kellerama's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1492

You can use a VLookup formula to return a value from a table. There are
instructions in Excel's Help, and here:

kellerama wrote:
> Good luck understanding my confusing description below:
>
> I am making an invoice template ("InvoiceWorksheet") to be used for
> multiple products from multiple manufacturers.
>
> I would like to select a product from a dropdown box A1 and have all
> subsequent fields automatically populate with information about my
> chosen product based on info from the "DataWorksheet" (a second
> worksheet within this Excel file).
>
> _InvoiceWorksheet_setup:_
> Cell A1 - I select BlueWidget from a dropdown.
> Cell A2 - automatically populates with BlueWidgetManufacturerName.
> Cell A3 - automatically populates with BlueWidgetWholesale Price.
> etc.
>
> _DataWorksheet_setup:_
> Column 1 - Product names (mapped to dropdown box A1 on
> InvoiceWorksheet)
> Column 2 - Manufacturer Name
> Column 3 - Wholesale Price
>
> _Excel_function_I_started_with_is:_
> =IF(logical_test,value_if_true,value_if_false)
>
> _One_of_my_dismal_attempts:_
> =IF(A1=DataWorksheet!A1,DataWorksheet!A2,if(A1=DataWorksheet!B1,DataWorksheet!B2))
>
> 1) First of all, if the TRUE result is a value from the other
> worksheet, should it be listed in "" or [] or nothing?
>
> 2) The "FALSE" option: If the logical test proves FALSE, I want it to
> do an IF formula  to find out if a different value in the dropdown cell
> is TRUE.  Should that portion of the formula start a new ()? Is it to
> come right after the comma as I did above?
>
> 3) I have over 300 products that will be on the dropdown list.  ;)
>
> I hope I haven't confused the reader beyond belief!

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
10/1/2004 9:04:25 PM
On of your InvoiceWorksheet, enter the ff formula in:

Cell A2:  =vlookup(A1,DataWorksheet!$A2:$C302,2,0)

Cell A3:  =vlookup(A1,DataWorksheet!$A2:$C302,3,0)

where A1 contains the name of your product taken from your drop dow
list.

<< I would like to select a product from a dropdown box A1 and have al
subsequent fields automatically populate with information about m
chosen product based on info from the "DataWorksheet" (a secon
worksheet within this Excel file).

_InvoiceWorksheet_setup:_
Cell A1 - I select BlueWidget from a dropdown.
Cell A2 - automatically populates with BlueWidgetManufacturerName.
Cell A3 - automatically populates with BlueWidgetWholesale Price.
etc.

_DataWorksheet_setup:_
Column 1 - Product names (mapped to dropdown box A1 o
InvoiceWorksheet)
Column 2 - Manufacturer Name
Column 3 - Wholesale Price >

--
BenjieLo

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26563

How to select series in chart?

visual basic

auto sort?
Is there any way to make a dated entry insert itself in the worksheet in the correct order without doing a sort operation, or inserting a new row? would be a big help for my reservations workbook thanks D You could try the worksheet change event: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) <<Sort Code>> End Sub This should re-sort your selection everytime the worksheet changes. Hope this helps Sunil Jayakumar "Dave" <post@site.com> wrote in message news:%23czt38POFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Is there any way to make a dated entry insert ...

forward to: field
Hi Everyone, im looking for the AD attribute in which the 'forward to:' field of the delivery options is stored. Thank you in advance kind regards marc -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ Its in the altRecipient attribute. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Marc Wenger" <haga(at).iesg--nspm-noa9h.gmx.ch> wrote in message news:opr64hs7z6fyi4rt@news.microsoft.com... > Hi Everyone, > > im looking for the AD attribute in which the 'forward to:' field of ...

Auto-Forward of Meeting Responses
We are running Exchange 2000 / Outlook 2003. After staff realignment, we have an assistant who no longer reports to a manager. The manager has removed the assistant from her calendar shared list. Now when the manager sends a meeting request to various attendees, the assistant is not notified in any way. However when anyone invited to the meeting responds with an acceptance or rejection to attend the meeting, the assistant receives a copy of that response. I've looked in the manager's and assistant's rules and alerts and calendar settings, however I cannot find any setting ...

IsOutLookClient() returns wrong value

Single click selects multiple cells

OLK 2k7

Getting the BCC field by default.

Adding a combo box to a worksheet

Getting rid of selection

COUNTIF on Summary Fields
Can't use on a cell that "sums" with arithmetic operators "+". Is there a workaround, etc.? a bit more explanation? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "DLC" <dlcopesr@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:117v954kaf4s2f6@corp.supernews.com... > Can't use on a cell that "sums" with arithmetic operators "+". Is there a > workaround, etc.? > > ...

Sizing drop down validation box
I have a form with lots of drop down validation boxes, many of them are Yes,No,N/A or Pass,Fail,N/A so one a narrow box is required but all the drop downs are about three inches wide. Once I accidentally go them to the right size and saved the file, closed it, then re-opened and the drop downs were really wide again. Does anyone know have to set the width, I always thought they were the same width as the cell they pop from but not the case. Wayman Those extra wide dropdown lists appear occasionally, usually if cells on the worksheet have been merged (not necessarily the cell with t...

Help about numeric type field. Thanks.

Value is BLANK

Macro
Hi, i need an macro to select all filled cells in range C10:K90. Can this be done? Thanks!!! Range("C10:K90").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, _ xlNumbers + xlTextValues).Select If you want to select xlErrors and xlLogical add those to xlNumbers + xlTextValues -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "puiuluipui" wrote: > Hi, i need an macro to select all filled cells in range C10:K90. > Can this be done? > Thanks!!! It's perfect! Thanks! "Jacob Skaria" a scris: > Range("C10:K90").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, _ >...