Drop Down Box Help

Hi I am new to using Excel more interactively. I am able to create
drop down box so a user can choose a day of the week for example.

But I want to be able to populate other cells in the column dependin
on the choice from the drop down list.

e.g. choose Tuesday from a list of days of the week in A2 and have B2
C2 etc filled with related data.

Is this at all possible?

Thank you in advance

--
smcka
smckay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3582

This is quite possible.  If you have only a limited number of choices, you
can use IF statements in the cells to populate.  If you want more choices,
use a vlookup in the cells to populate, using the drop down cell as the
lookup value.

I made a very simple example spreadsheet, but I don't know how to insert it
into this message.  Email me if you'd like, and I'll send it to you.

"smckay" wrote:

> Hi I am new to using Excel more interactively. I am able to create a
> drop down box so a user can choose a day of the week for example.
>
> But I want to be able to populate other cells in the column depending
> on the choice from the drop down list.
>
> e.g. choose Tuesday from a list of days of the week in A2 and have B2,
> C2 etc filled with related data.
>
> Is this at all possible?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>

> --
> smckay
> smckay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35828
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=556081

0
manxman (7)
6/27/2006 7:14:01 PM
the second I can PM you (must be too few posts) I would love some help.

I have tried to use some if statements;

if "selection a"
then "situation a"
else
if.............

cheers manxma

--
smcka
smckay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3582
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55608

You need VLOOKUP. Check it out in help.

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"smckay" <smckay.2a2hwp_1151422805.1669@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:smckay.2a2hwp_1151422805.1669@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hi I am new to using Excel more interactively. I am able to create a
> drop down box so a user can choose a day of the week for example.
>
> But I want to be able to populate other cells in the column depending
> on the choice from the drop down list.
>
> e.g. choose Tuesday from a list of days of the week in A2 and have B2,
> C2 etc filled with related data.
>
> Is this at all possible?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>

> --
> smckay
> smckay's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35828
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=556081

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
6/28/2006 9:34:38 AM
Bob Phillips Wrote:
> You need VLOOKUP. Check it out in help.
>
> --
> HTH
>
> Bob Phillips

Hi Bob I had a quick read of VLOOKUP. So depending on the Selection o
the drop down the VLOOKUP formula will populate the other cells in th
row?

sorry I am trying to get my head around i

--
smcka
smckay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3582
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55608

Yes, you use the DV cell as the lookup value, in each case, and referent
into a table of values using a different column offset for each value. make
sure you use the ,False) at the end.

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"smckay" <smckay.2a3ygc_1151490904.5327@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:smckay.2a3ygc_1151490904.5327@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Bob Phillips Wrote:
> > You need VLOOKUP. Check it out in help.
> >
> > --
> > HTH
> >
> > Bob Phillips
> >

> Hi Bob I had a quick read of VLOOKUP. So depending on the Selection of
> the drop down the VLOOKUP formula will populate the other cells in the
> row?
>
> sorry I am trying to get my head around it
>

> --
> smckay
> smckay's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35828
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=556081

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
6/28/2006 10:55:11 AM
Ok this is driving me crazy I must be doing something obvious wrong,
here is what I have

Column A
Drop Down Box with options
RAM
CPU
HARD DISK

Column B
If Ram is selected a description of the RAM
If CPU is selected " " " " "
currently this will not work! :(

--
smckay
smckay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35828
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=556081

send me an email to davidc@mayanconstruction.com and I'll send you that short
spreadsheet illustrating the vlookup solution.

"smckay" wrote:

> Ok this is driving me crazy I must be doing something obvious wrong,
> here is what I have
>
> Column A
> Drop Down Box with options
> RAM
> CPU
> HARD DISK
>

> Column B
> If Ram is selected a description of the RAM
> If CPU is selected " " " " "
> currently this will not work! :(
>

> --
> smckay
> smckay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35828
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=556081

0
manxman (7)
6/28/2006 3:28:02 PM
I have posted an example at http://cjoint.com/?gCsHzopk6K

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"smckay" <smckay.2a4331_1151496905.2139@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:smckay.2a4331_1151496905.2139@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Ok this is driving me crazy I must be doing something obvious wrong,
> here is what I have
>
> Column A
> Drop Down Box with options
> RAM
> CPU
> HARD DISK
>

> Column B
> If Ram is selected a description of the RAM
> If CPU is selected " " " " "
> currently this will not work! :(
>

> --
> smckay
> smckay's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35828
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=556081

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
6/28/2006 4:35:47 PM
thanks to everyone who helped, I now understand vlookup and have
spreadsheet that does as I want it to! :D

cheers al

--
smcka
smckay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3582
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55608

find and replace contents of tables and text boxes
I have a 200 page document in publisher 2007. The contents of each page differ by only a small amount of text at the top of each page. Each page contains a large table and several text boxes. I need to replace the old information in the table and several text boxes with the same new information for all 200 pages. How do I do this quickly and efficiently? Put the table and text boxes on the master page. Ctrl+m. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Katy" <Katy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56F513B4-D272-4421-B9D6-979AF70D74A9@microsoft.com... >...

Not showing blank cells in user form list box
The following bit of code populates a UserForm. I would like that none of the blank rows in C5:D14 be shown in the uf. (The cells in column D will always be blank if the corresponding row in column C is blank.) Q1. Can anyone suggest how I might achieve this? Q2. Is it possible to also have another range, namely ("C21:D25") added to the list box so that the list box is populated by ("C21:D25") and ("C5:D14") without any blank rows showing? I have generally used PivotTables to sort the ranges and eliminate blanks, but I wonder if there is a better way. If Activ...

Combo box to a report
Hello it's me again, Something stroke my mind for the last couple of days and what i am trying to accomplish is to have a report that the user will pick from a combo box. This combo box has it's own table namely tbl_Site. Now in my main Module namely Delivery Note i have this combo box so that the user will just click the drop down button and choose the perfect site and so on with his manual input of data. Now i have created a form or an individual dialog box and inside it is the tbl_Site Combo Box and a Preview Button. Now what i wanted is that, when the user select a certain site v...

Detect click of combo-box down arrow?
I have a form with lots of co-dependent combo boxes. Certain combinations of selections are valid and some invalid. Some of the combo boxes also have very large rowsources so I postpone loading until the focus lands on the control. The thing is I really don't want to trigger these things in the 'OnFocus' event as it triggers when the user just tabs to the control they want. I really need it to trigger on the click of the down arrow. Is there a way to achieve this other than by overlaying a separate button over the down arrow, Could you use the Click event instead? Regards Je...

support help
what function do ido if my desktop is not opening to my programs at all. you bring the computer to a professional technician --- Leonard Grey Errare humanum est On 12/16/2009 7:02 PM, brian alston wrote: > what function do ido if my desktop is not opening to my programs at all. > > On 17/12/2009 00:02, brian alston wrote: > what function do ido if my desktop is not opening to my programs at all. > > Function key 10 should fix it. ...

help #3
I'm a noob I'm a noob!! JE McGimpsey wrote: > I'm a noob > So, is that you, Balasz, or were you incompetently spoofed, too? In article <Oow40UAkEHA.3140@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, JE McGimpsey <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote: > I'm a noob!! Damn - If JE's a noob, then I'm a numpty :-( -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission ...

Drop Ship Box
Is there a way to have the drop ship box at item level automatically check off when item is entered? -- HK You should be able to accomplish this request using VBA. -- Charles Allen, MVP "HK" wrote: > Is there a way to have the drop ship box at item level automatically check > off when item is entered? > -- > HK ...

Weboutlook problems.....please help!!!!!
Hi, I am having problems viewing my emails from....I can receive the emails no problem but when I try to read it is says that it can not load the page or that it has a get a Unknown zone. Please help!!! "blondie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:951d01c43381$aa4b0ee0$a601280a@phx.gbl: > I am having problems viewing my emails from....I can > receive the emails no problem but when I try to read it > is says that it can not load the page or that it has a > get a Unknown zone. We'll need more information to assist you. What version of ...

Help with J-Walk's Menumakr
I'm very new at trying to use VBA. I am trying to use the MenuMakr file to build a new menu and am having problems. I downloaded the file and managed to get the proper menu built. Everything works fine when I manually run the CreateMenu and DeleteMenu macros. The problem comes in when I try to get the subs to run automatically upon opening or closing the file. The instructions say to "Add subroutines like these to the code module for the ThisWorkbook object: Private Sub Workbook_Open() Call CreateMenu End Sub Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel as Boolean) Call DeleteMenu E...

User Form Help
Hi, can any one help me please ? What I'm trying do to use combo box on a form I have created which will display data in column 'A' e.g. Zip codes When the user has found the Zip code they require in Column A, and pressed the OK button the associated data in columns B, C & D will be displayed in the Text box on the form e.g. the user uses the combo box is used to select data in A12 Then press the OK Button The data in B12, C12, D12 is displayed in the text box Any assistance would be appreciated Many thanks Rob NB Excel version 2000 You can do Find, within colu...

Crime Analyst needs help with co-ordinates
I need an Excel macro to find clusters within a list of 6 figure eastin and northing co-ordinates. I can readily export a three column sprea sheet with the column headings: 'crime number' 'easting' 'northing' What I'm after is a Macro to produce additional columns with th headings: 'crimes within 10 metres' 'crimes within 50 metres' 'crimes within 100 metres' 'crimes within 1 kilometre' These can obviously be calculated from the easting and northin columns. I've had a go myself with no success. I've also looked on th web a...

Windows Mail Drops 1st 2 letters of Reply-To Address
About a month ago, Windows mail started dropping the 1st 2 letters of the reply-to email address for all of my Yahoo contacts...I deleted the contacts from my list and reentered them...it still does it. I can send a new email to these people just fine...but cannot use the "reply to" feature. Any ideas? -- christinewv "christinewv" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:133071c331d4e1bf5f974795ec9ed6d5@nntp-gateway.com... > > About a month ago, Windows mail started dropping the 1st 2 letters of > the reply-to email address for ...

Outlook 2000 Help please
I recently uninstalled hotbar, and am now getting the following messages when i open outlook. The add in c:\program~\hotbar missing or You may be out of memory, out of system resources, or missing a .dll file I click ok twice and it disappears!! I tried repair outlook, and it did not fix it. Can someone please help. Thanks in advance, Jim Hotbar = trouble! See this page for assistance. http://www.pchell.com/support/hotbar.shtml --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. While thinking hard, Jim Bandy <jimbandy2@tds.net> que...

Access Denied to Files in a Server Profile
Hi All, A friend of mine has a Windows XP Pro laptop that she has been using for over 4 years. The problem is, the laptop was originally joined to a domain (not workgroup), thus she had been logging into her laptop as it if were connected to a Domain Server, even though she uses it as independent laptop (not connected to the server). Long story short, I had to do maintenance on the laptop, and ended up disjoining the laptop from the domain and making it part of a Workgroup called "Workgroup". I logged into the laptop as a local admin, and went to the Documents and ...

Drop down box to select a sheet in the workbook?
Say I have a workbook with 12 sheets, is it possible to create a dropdown box in sheet 1, or any other sheet, that would quickly allow me to select any of the 12 sheets? or, a drop down box that would pull the info from one of the sheets onto a main sheet. -- Plasma ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Plasma's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27404 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=532365 From Debra Dalgleish's site: http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar01.html Plasma wr...

Repeating garbage in excel file, need help
At work we are using Excel 2000 and have a workbook that contains several grids. Each grid contains formulas to calculate averages and percentages. This month after the report was completed I saved it and printed out the grids. For unknown reasons after I saved it that day when I closed all the grids became formatted differently, general number cells became percentage cells and random numbers were put in place of data, I had to use last months report to correct the report. It's on a network drive and lots of people update it. I know that no one did this, it was some kind of corru...

Hide rows based on selection in drop down list....
Hello. I was windering if anyone can tell me how to automatically hide/show rows in a spreadsheet based on the "Yes" or "No" choice in a drop down list? Can anyone help me here? I am having trouble reading responses on this group, so if you could copy my email with any response it would be really appreciated. sean_goldsworthy@hotmail.com Thanks! Sean ...

Need help with using Month as criteria for SUM(COUNTIFS(...
Hi all, I am fairly new to excel and experimenting some functions with my project. I have a SOLD datasheet with Sold Date (column W) in MM/DD/YYYY format). I am trying to count the items with a few criteria using =SUM(COUNTIFS(criteria_range1, criteria1, criteria_range2, criteria2,...criteria_rangeN, criteriaN)) Current formulas are working without any problem. Now, i want to narrow down by months and found out that MONTH functions does not work with current formulas. So i tried adding IF function in front of the current formula Jan=1, Feb=2, ... , Dec = 12 =IF(MONTH(SOLD!W:W)=1, SUM(CO...

Help! My post never showed up and now I hate you
I made a post. It was very long and elaborate. I don't want to type it again. It never showed up, and I can't do it again. I hate you. So so much. Your forums don't work worth a crap. On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 18:06:01 -0700, SmurfQueen <SmurfQueen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >It never showed up, and I can't do it again It showed up in my PC. If you weren't such an obnoxious person, I'd invite you round to see for yourself. Does right click on a blank part of the start bar, "Toolbars >" tell you anything interesting? -- Ste...

Deleting Mail From Outlook 98 In-Box
I am running Outlook 98 on XP Home Edition. It has run fine until August 7th 2003. I elected to do the updates form XP and after that date I have been unable to delete e-mails in my inbox. I have also not been able to sync by my PDA. I receivew an error message that I am unable to interface wiht the outlook proram. I have tried to reset the dates to previous dates before the changes but I can not go back further than two days. Does anyone know of a patch to fix this problem - I would prefer not to reinstall Outlook 98 if I can help it. Thanks for your help. Barry J. Koffman how...

converting column of text to text box for repetitive records
Hi, I have a spreadsheet which contains employee information including job skills. My problem is that each skill (cook,candlemaker, etc.)creates a new row for that employee, duplicating fields that don't change, name, ss#,etc with the only new info in the row being the skill Like this: Jane doe,123456789,555-555-5555,cook Jane doe,123456789,555-555-5555,candlemaker What I want is 1 row for each employee with the last column containing all the skills in a text box or separated by commas. Is there an easy way to do this in Excel? Or even Access? To clarify, I want to convert all skills list...

Need Help with a cell?
I am trying to get all the cells to change on 45 tabs when I type something in the cell on the main page... P.S. I got the date to do it but when it comes to text I can't find the right code to use any help would be great... A little bit more detail would be helpful please. What are you trying to change from/to? Is it a format change, or a value change based on the text that is keyed on the first tab? "vpmedia" wrote: > I am trying to get all the cells to change on 45 tabs when I type something > in the cell on the main page... > P.S. I got the dat...

help needed with graffiti.net email query
I may be in completely the wrong place to ask this question, but I noticed someone has a graffiti.net account, so... I was having problems with speed of loading on my graffiti.net email, and now I can't get into it at all. The only thing that's changed is that I ran Norton 360 Version 2.0 help session, which said that my phishing blocker was off, and proceeded to turn it back on. Would this have blocked me getting back into graffiti.net, because now when I open it there are no spaces for login name and password, and even when I try to login as a new user it won't accept...

Help with Contacts in Outlook XP vs. PAB in 2000
Hi, I just installed Outlook XP on a new computer, and I copied my PST from my old computer using Outlook 2000. I copied all the contacts from my old contacts to the new contacts without a problem. I noticed that the format seems different, or that in Outlook 2000 my contacts was connected to my Personal Address book and changes I made in the PAB were reflected in the Contacts. In the XP version there is no PAB and when i open up "address book" it just gives me a list of e-mail addresses as opposed to the PAB format where i could edit all the entries. My main issue is the format betw...

Help needed with calendar
Spent a lot of time doing a calendar last year, lots of custom backgrounds and photos. The only thing I didn't change was the date tables. Went to update it for 2005, but when I select 'change date range' and choose 2005 months, the whole thing reverts back to the original blank calandar! Is there a way to just change the dates, other than manually overtyping every day and date? TIA, fingers crossed. ...