Displaying a percentage

Sorry if this appears to be a newbie question, but how do I display
percentage  figure of another cell. Example:

A1 �52.89

A2 17.5% of A1

Thank yo

--
Timeferre
Timeferret's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1917

      About percentages in Excel

      Niek Otten, July 26 2006

      In Excel, percentages are stored as fractions; 15% is stored as 0.15, 100% as 1. That makes it easy to calculate with; just
multiply a number with a percentage and you get what you need. No need to divide/multiply by 100. In fact, if you see a
calculation with percentages which has the number 100 somewhere in the formula; be very careful, it might be wrong or at least use
percentages in a way they weren't meant to be used in Excel.
      The conversion to a fraction happens automatically if you enter the % sign: if you enter "15%" (without the quotes) the
value will be 0.15 and it will be displayed as 15%. If you then enter 12 in the same cell, two things can happen: It will be the
number 12 or 12%. What happens in your case depends on a setting:
      Tools>Options, Edit tab, "Enable automatic percent entry" (only Excel2000 and newer).
      All built-in functions of Excel and all the functions in Analysis Toolpak use this representation of percentages: be careful
when supplying parameters to these functions; never use whole numbers (like 8), always use fractions (like 0.08 or, even better,
8%).

      Frequently Asked Questions:

      Q:
      I have A1 and B1. How do I get C1 to show B1 as a percentage of A1?
      A:
      =B1/A1, Format as %

      Q:
      I have A1 and B1. How do I show the difference as a percentage in C1?
      A:
      As a percentage of A1: =(B1-A1)/A1, Format as %
      As a percentage of B1: =(B1-A1)/B1, Format as %

Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Timeferret" <Timeferret.2cjhds_1155574522.7808@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

| Sorry if this appears to be a newbie question, but how do I display a
| percentage  figure of another cell. Example:
|
| A1 �52.89
|
| A2 17.5% of A1
|
| Thank you
|

| --
| Timeferret
| Timeferret's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19170
| View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=571461

0
nicolaus (2022)
8/14/2006 5:00:51 PM
=a1*a2

"Timeferret" escreveu:

> Sorry if this appears to be a newbie question, but how do I display a
> percentage  figure of another cell. Example:
>
> A1 £52.89
>
> A2 17.5% of A1
>
> Thank you
>

> --
> Timeferret
> Timeferret's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19170
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=571461

0
Marcelo (77)
8/14/2006 5:07:45 PM
Sorry, perhaps I didnt make my self too clear.

In cell A2 I need to know what 17.5% is of cell A1

Thanks:

--
Timeferre
Timeferret's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1917
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=57146

In A2:
=A1*17.5%

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Timeferret" <Timeferret.2cjiji_1155576013.5692@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

| Sorry, perhaps I didnt make my self too clear.
|
| In cell A2 I need to know what 17.5% is of cell A1
|
| Thanks:)
|

| --
| Timeferret
| Timeferret's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19170
| View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=571461

0
nicolaus (2022)
8/14/2006 5:29:13 PM
Excellent !!

Thank you:)

--
Timeferret
Timeferret's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19170
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=571461

Display images in MFC
By using front end as VS. C++ to interface SQL based DB, how can we display the image, which are stored in the DB, in the MFC? Currently, we are using image column in the SQL. Additional questions are as follow: 1) How can we display the images that correspond to the data (displayed in a datagrid, not a form viewer) ? 2) How can we update the image based on the datagrid? I am not sure what SQL server has to do with it. An image, regardless of where it comes from, will be in a specific format. You need to look at the format and find appropriate functions which support that format. Most o...

new email not displaying until a message is deleted
hello, i'm using outlook 2000 with exchange server 5.5, basically what is happening is some users won't see new messages appear in their inbox until they delete other messages, now i know its not a problem with their mailboxes being over their limit because they're not, is there anything else that could cause this? ...

I am trying to connect web page to excel but buttons are displaye.
I am trying to connect the web page to excel through new web query get external data, the page is displayed with HTML format but the buttons are not displayed, can anyone please let me know how can i see the button? is it possible in excel? Thank you ...

How to display Server's IP address in TCP Echo server code?
I'm practicing a TCP Echo Server/Client program. When Server.EXE is run, the Server has to display its own IP address once. then echo begins. How can I get the current IP address of the server and display it? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- memset(&servAddr, 0, sizeof(servAddr)); servAddr.sin_family=AF_INET; servAddr.sin_addr.s_addr=htonl(INADDR_ANY); servAddr.sin_port=htons(atoi(argv[1])); --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Here, the current IP address is automa...

Change transation display period
Is there anyway to change the transaction display period for credit cards? In account register, I would like to see the transations for the last 60 days instead of 30 days. Is there anyway to change it? Thanks, Winnie In microsoft.public.money, Winnie wrote: >Is there anyway to change the transaction display period for credit cards? > >In account register, I would like to see the transations for the last 60 >days instead of 30 days. Is there anyway to change it? I am not sure this is the answer to the question you are asking: at the top of the register click View. Then, All ...

Forcing DIV/0 to display "0"
I have a scorecard in Excel 2003 and instead of having DIV/0 errors displayed is there a way of actually forcing it to display a zero/null value? I had a looked at conditional formatting and the example only seems to be hiding it in a different colour. Thanks Pieter Pieter van der Walt wrote: > I have a scorecard in Excel 2003 and instead of having DIV/0 errors > displayed is there a way of actually forcing it to display a zero/null > value? I had a looked at conditional formatting and the example only seems > to be hiding it in a different colour. > > Thanks > Pi...

Change TV display in window
Is it possible to have the video completely fill the media center window, without making the media center program fullscreen? When I try and resize it, the window sizes like its on a widescreen monitor. I have gone through the setting and it is set as a standard display. This is in Windows 7....... IF I am running Vista everything is like it should be, the window is completley filled in with the TV or Movie that is playing. Maybe I'm missing something or you need to re-explain the question. When the video/TV is maximized, you don't see any of the Media Center interface...

Display custom toolbar when open query?
I need to run a query and allow the user to export the results to excel. Is there any way to have a custom toolbar display when the query is opened and disappear when it is closed, much like what you can do with a report via its Toolbar property? Thanks. -- Dorian "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and they eat for a lifetime". On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:19:01 -0800, Dorian wrote: > I need to run a query and allow the user to export the results to excel. > Is there any way to have a custom toolbar display when the query is opened &g...

Displaying a new screen when choosing from a dropdowm box
Hi I wanted to know if i can change the screen (having new fields and attribute) when i choose an item form a drop down box is it possible? ...

How to change Display fonts size?
Hi, I am running Microsoft 2003 on Windows XP and I find its display font to be too small. Does anybody know how I can change the size of display fonts? THANKS Perhaps increasing the size of your system fonts in the display control panel might help. In general, Money complies with none of the accessibility protocols in this regard. What you (can't) see is what you get. "nmzhivago" <nmzhivago@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:18a7701c386c1$7f4452a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I am running Microsoft 2003 on Windows XP > and I find its display font to be too small. >...

How can I display hundreths of seconds?
I'm trying to design a speadsheet to display lap times such as 1:26:329 (1 min, 26 secs etc) however I cannot sort the data in order from highest to lowest. I've been inputing the data as 1.26239. This s OK to sort frm Highest to Lowest but when you graph it there is a massiv gap beween 1.59960 (1.59.960) and 2.00765 (2.00.765) and there shouldn't be. I need Excel to recognize hundreths of seconds Please help D The way you're entering the data, you don't have seconds or fractions of seconds at all. You have minutes and (decimal) fractions of minutes. 1.59960, ...

Need help displaying Japanese glyphs
First my system: 1) WinXP 2) East Asian Languages have NOT been installed (Control Panel> Regional and Languages Options> Languages> Install files for East Asian Languages is unchecked). 3) Both MSGothic and MSMincho fonts have been installed from my WinXP CD and they show up in my list of fonts. 4) Japanese code page 932 appears to be present. It is listed in my registry and when I look at Control Panel> Regional and Language Options> Advanced Code Page 932 is checked but grayed out (I don't know what it means when it is grayed out). 5) Developing the application with VC+...

Forumla to calculate a percentage
I have a column of figures that I need to calculate that if the figure in column A is Transport costs to us is �100 and column B is the price sold to the customer is �25.00, i need the third column to work out < 72% Theoretical Transport Recovery in other words if the value in column B is <72% mark it red Like wise for fuel is the value in column B is <132% mark it red Try as I might I cannot get it to work it out any ideas Julie, This formula gives the correct percentage... =(B1-A1)/A1 Format the formula cell with this custom number format... 0%;[Red]-0% If you don'...

Displaying Scenarios
I have set up a number of scenarios on a worksheet as they relate to different versions of my budget. Rather than having to go in everytime and display each one individuall, I would like to enter a parameter in one cell that will automatically display the right scenarios. Hopefully, using a conditional statement of some kind. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jeffrey Albaum Controller Jet Moulding Compounds Inc. Ajax, Ontario, Canada How about a worksheet_change event? I created a couple of custom views and then rightclicked on the worksheet tab that held the important cell. ...

"Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location."
User's computer is on domain, and running exchange. Have setup the user on several different computers and has the same problem on all. When we setup the user's Outlook and go to the Outlook Today screen. Under the Calendar & Tasks Sections, you may go and open any item under it. Then you can add an item under the messages section, such as inbox. When you click on the inbox or any other item the Messages column, you get a gray screen with the message: "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location." Thi...

Column Chart, Displaying two values on one column.
Hello, Is it possible to display two value on one column. For example Budget = 4.6% Actual = -6.0% I can display this on a column without any problems, one column for budget and one for actual. Is it possible to add another value to the Actual so it displays on the same column but in a different colour? For example I would like to add: Net = 2.3% and display this on the Actual column in a different colour. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Brett You can format a stacked column chart to resemble a clustered-stacked column chart: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Cluster...

Display value of a VBA variable inside a cell
Hi, I am using Excel 2007. I have created a VBA module called MyModule. Inside this module, I have defined a public variable as follows: Public blnMyBoolean As Boolean Next, I created a Function to return the value of this variable as follows: Public Function GetMyBoolean() As Boolean GetMyBoolean = blnMyBoolean End Function Next, I used my function as a formula for a cell on one of my worksheets as follows: =GetMyBoolean() The formula in this cell works, but it does not update automatically. If my code changes the value of blnMyBoolean, the only way I can s...

Date display in Excel

CComboBox Display error
Hi, I am developing on a windows XP machine with VS .net version 2003. I have created a CFormView with drop list style combox boxes. The combo boxes display correctly on my machine, however when I deploy the application to a windows 2000 professional workstation the combo boxes drop down a small bit and are really skinny. Any ideas? Thanks, Josh <jangolan@ifmc.org> wrote in message news:1124395323.063708.292250@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > I am developing on a windows XP machine with VS .net version 2003. I > have created a CFormView with dro...

Displaying single and multiple data series.Single data series
I was asked to produce a chart displaying outstanding staff appraisals for 4 regional offices. The data used is 'sales', 'admin' and '%age of total staff', (the total staff being those employed in that region) . I managed to produce a chart showing 4 sets of 3 columns, a nice colour scheme, separate sheets generated for each month, etc. Now I've been asked to include a 'reference' column which just shows the total staff for all 4 offices. This sounded simple but hasn't turned out that way. I have produced another data series and selected a singl...

Wrong Fonts displayed in the Tree View.
In my application i have to use Custom fonts for the item's text in the tree view,these fonts gets displayed correctly on Windows 2000 but picks up the Windows default font which is Sytem ,wehn run on Windows 98. Code Snippet : --------------- CMyView is derived from CTreeView and has member varibles, m_pTreeCtrl and m_oFont. CMyView::CMyView:m_pTreeCtrl(NULL) { m_oFont.CreatePointFont(10 * 10, _T("CustomFont")); m_pTreeCtrl = &GetTreeCtrl(); } CMyView::OnInitialUpdate() { CTreeview::OnInitialUpdate(); m_pTreeCtrl->SetFont(&m_oFont,TRUE); } This piece of c...

Pie Chart display
The attached sheet is extracted from a workbook of many things that I find helpful which I save as I learn. However, when I extract this sheet the Chart numbers changed, meaning that the pie and doughnut no longer display correctly. To 'use' the .FirstSliceAngle (in the 'Spin Chase' button) it appears to need the chart to be activated, producing the 'selected' look which I was able to avoid in the other displays by activating a hidden chart in the R column. Other display problems were avoided by using a white font hidden behind other charts for processing (to prevent ...

Display data by series in Excel chart
I am trying to display data by series on a bar chart and am unable to do it. I have seen charts displayed in this way. All ideas welcomed -- Regards Repurr You mean you want to show one series at a time? I have a few techniques on this web page: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartByControl.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Repurr wrote: > I am trying to display data by series on a bar chart and am unable to do it. > I have seen charts displayed in this way. Al...