design form?

What software should I use to design a form for listing my DVD collection?
Are there templates available somewhere?
0
boinks1 (2)

To create a simple list Excel is well suited to this.
If you want to create some sort of input form based list then Access would
be your best bet.
Outside of the MS Office range there are lots of other software available to
do this, ranging from the simple to complex, cheap to expensive.

Hope that helps, if you need more help post back

_____________
Naz
Lodon

"boinks@acsalaska.net" wrote:

> What software should I use to design a form for listing my DVD collection?
> Are there templates available somewhere?
0
Naz (61)
1/30/2005 12:05:02 PM
The form is the least problem. Consider first what this is for, that decides
which data structure you need. You can use just anything if you just want a
"if I write it down then I can read it later" list.

If you want to be able to sort and search your list then a spreadsheet or a
database will do the job.

Big consideration is if/when you deal with relations. Relations are about,
say, one director - multiple movies, one movie - multiple actors. This is
what relational databases do, and if you need a "list all my Arnie movies"
thing then settle for nothing less than a relational database.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"boinks@acsalaska.net" <boinks@acsalaska.net@discussions.microsoft.com>
skrev i melding news:92917096-2BD6-4E04-9D58-E0F853CCFB62@microsoft.com...
> What software should I use to design a form for listing my DVD collection?
> Are there templates available somewhere?

0
innocent (844)
1/30/2005 2:43:59 PM
Thank both you and Naz for the responses.  It sounds like Access is best for
the task, but I was hoping for a canned template or off the shelf SW that
would accomodate my needs.  I haven't found any as yet.  I don't even know
where to look on the web.
Thanks again.
SB

"Harald Staff" wrote:

> The form is the least problem. Consider first what this is for, that decides
> which data structure you need. You can use just anything if you just want a
> "if I write it down then I can read it later" list.
>
> If you want to be able to sort and search your list then a spreadsheet or a
> database will do the job.
>
> Big consideration is if/when you deal with relations. Relations are about,
> say, one director - multiple movies, one movie - multiple actors. This is
> what relational databases do, and if you need a "list all my Arnie movies"
> thing then settle for nothing less than a relational database.
>
> HTH. Best wishes Harald
>
> "boinks@acsalaska.net" <boinks@acsalaska.net@discussions.microsoft.com>
> skrev i melding news:92917096-2BD6-4E04-9D58-E0F853CCFB62@microsoft.com...
> > What software should I use to design a form for listing my DVD collection?
> > Are there templates available somewhere?

0
boinks1 (2)
1/31/2005 2:19:02 AM
There's an Access sample here:

   http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/templates/TC010755641033.aspx

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
1/31/2005 2:26:48 AM
Thanks Debra, I appreciate it.

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> There's an Access sample here:
>
>    http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/templates/TC010755641033.aspx
>
> boinks@acsalaska.net wrote:
> > Thank both you and Naz for the responses.  It sounds like Access is best for
> > the task, but I was hoping for a canned template or off the shelf SW that
> > would accomodate my needs.  I haven't found any as yet.  I don't even know
> > where to look on the web.
> > Thanks again.
> > SB
> >
> > "Harald Staff" wrote:
> >

> >>The form is the least problem. Consider first what this is for, that decides
> >>which data structure you need. You can use just anything if you just want a
> >>"if I write it down then I can read it later" list.
> >>
> >>If you want to be able to sort and search your list then a spreadsheet or a
> >>database will do the job.
> >>
> >>Big consideration is if/when you deal with relations. Relations are about,
> >>say, one director - multiple movies, one movie - multiple actors. This is
> >>what relational databases do, and if you need a "list all my Arnie movies"
> >>thing then settle for nothing less than a relational database.
> >>
> >>HTH. Best wishes Harald
> >>
> >>"boinks@acsalaska.net" <boinks@acsalaska.net@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >>skrev i melding news:92917096-2BD6-4E04-9D58-E0F853CCFB62@microsoft.com...

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

SB1 (29)

Help with a simple form
I need help with a very simple form. I have a glossary for my team defined in Excel. I want to set up a form that will let them key in the first few letters of either the acronym or the term itself and show all items in the worksheet that start with those letters. As you key more letters, it refines more. Kind of like the index function in Help. Secondly, I want to set up an input form that a user would fill out that would then save that information into a second spreadsheet (behind the look up one). Then an administrator would review those entries regularly and add the entries to...

Filter by form not working
When I use the filter by form option, I do the drop down arrows, but I see only the values Null, and NOT NULL, whereas the text says I should see a list of items in that column. Why I am not getting it? Thanks "Milind" <Milind@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3E22142-B57A-4246-8488-2E38F3C773F2@microsoft.com... > When I use the filter by form option, I do the drop down arrows, but I see > only the values Null, and NOT NULL, whereas the text says I should see a list > of items in that column. Why I am not getting it? Thanks If the number of distin...

Unhandled Form Exception
Hi, On Citrix boxes, GP 7.5, SQL Server 2000 all of a sudden on one of the citrix boxes users cannot get into great plains. The get the following error message: Unhandled form exception: Cannot open form. Script terminated EXCEPTION_CLASS_FORM_MISSING We got everyone off of that citrix box and rebooted the box but we still have the issue. Any ideas? TIA Ok I solved it! In Yahoo Great Plains groups I was able to search the archives for Unhandled Form Exception and found some reports. Most of these errors come from some kind of trouble with the .dic file it seems. Some are secu...

how ,we can remove flickering of form control
hi I have some progress bar control on my form.I have set different color for different progress bar. BUT ,PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN PROGRESS BAR SHOWS PROGRESS ,SOME FLICKERING ALSO APPEARS. HOW ,WE CAN SOVE IT. Arbind Arbind, You seem to have big problems with flickering forms :-))) As you have both - if I remember correctly - a flickering grid and now a flickering progress bar, I would suspect that the problem is that you are triggering unnecessary updates yourself - you might want to check your code for invalidations of the form, where invalidations of a control is mo...

Change event missing from Forms 2.0 combo box.
I'm doing a project in Access 2000 using forms and MS Forms 2.0 combo boxes. I'm not using the native Access combo box because it lacks an Add Item method and is therefor very difficult to populate. I want to do something when the user makes a selection in the combo box so I need to respond to the Change event. The object browser shows a number of events including Click and Change available for the combo box. However, these events do not appear in property list of the combo box so I cannot get to them. I have confirmed that I'm using the Forms 2.0 combo box and not the native o...

form
I use form to input information into several columns on a spreadsheet. I will be letting other people input and I would like to lock the sheet so information can only be entered thru the input form. How can I do this? Thanks you in advance How about putting a button from the forms toolbar on the worksheet and assigning it this macro: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim wks As Worksheet Set wks = Worksheets("sheet1") With wks .Unprotect Password:="hi" Application.DisplayAlerts = False .ShowDataForm Application.DisplayA...

Table design ?
Is it design worthy to have field type attachment for contacts picture and a 2nd field type attachment for Doc, PDF files and can internet likes b placed in the attachments. Thank You The Lord's Blessings this evening On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:02:16 -0800, MaRSMAN <MaRSMAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it design worthy to have field type attachment for contacts picture and a >2nd field type attachment for Doc, PDF files and can internet likes b placed >in the attachments. >Thank You The Lord's Blessings this evening I would not recommend storing exte...

Conditional Formatting in Forms
I'm trying to get a form to display a "Yes" or "No" depending on a review of two dates. Tried a number of times. In English, want it to do the following - if the Date returned to marketing is less than or equal to the due date, write "Yes" and if not write "No" - otherwise leave blank. ans = iif(dateReturned <= dueDate,"Yes", "No") >write "Yes" and if not write "No" - otherwise leave blank. What instances you want to leave it blank, since date returned equal or less than due date is a &qu...

How to check continuous form fields
I have a tabbed form, when I switch from one tab to another, it checks to make sure that none of the mandatory fields are missing. However the code that checks the records on tab #1 (which is the code below after the elseif), the code only checks the first record. I can not figure out how to modify the code to get it to look at other records on the form that may be present. Any suggestions on what modification I would need to make here would be helpful. thanks! If TabCtl4 = 1 Then Dim CkCtls As New Collection CkCtls.Add "DRNo" ...

I have a question about using a function in a form
I have used the "workingdays2" function in a query to calculate the number of working days between two days like so... WorkingDays2([SLA_Date3],[SLA_Date4]) I have tried using this in a text box in a form but the calculation won't work. Any ideas? Another stupid moment. Date4 was earlier than Date3, duh! "SteveM" wrote: > So I assume WorkingDays2() is a user-defined public function? > SLA_Date3 and SLA_Date4 are fields on your form? > > Try putting = sign first: > > =WorkingDays2([SLA_Date3],[SLA_Date4]) > > Steve > > &quo...

Full Screen Forms in 2007
I recently upgraded to 2007...and I'm not entirely happy. I created all my forms in 2003 and had them all full screen, working the way I wanted clients to see them,. In 2007 I have the ribbon on top and the table/forms/reports/etc box on the left. How can I get the same form behavior I had in 2003? Bruce It's not intutitive, but possible: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb258192.aspx -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.accessmvp.com http://www.mvps.org/access "Bruce Rodtnick" <Rodtnick@comcast.net> wrot...

Change publication design
First of all, I have set up a master page for the design for a brochure, so I have all the elements that I need - address, logo, etc. Currently I am using 'Arrows'. Now having considered it again, I am not sure that this design is the right one for the brochure so I want to go through the designs individually whilst I am in not in master page view changing the brochure so that I can get a general idea what it would look like in a different design. I suspect this isnt what you should do according to the rules of Publisher, but it seems to work for me because altho' I need ...

How to open a blank form for adding a new record
Hello, I have a form for adding/viewing employee records. I can open the form, view records and using the navigation button, add a new record just fine. However, I'd like to open the form using a command button so that all fields are blank and a new record can immediately been added without having to use the navigation button. Can anyone help me figure out how to do this? TIA, Rich On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:20:02 -0800, rich wrote: > Hello, > > I have a form for adding/viewing employee records. I can open the form, > view records and using the navigation button, add a...

Hiding and Unhiding Forms In Code
This is what I am trying to do. I hide a form and opened another form using a button: Me.Visible=False DoCmd.Open "Select Report Type", acNormal Now I want to unhide the form again using a button on the second form, I tried: If Forms![Inscope Site Summary].IsVisible=False Then Forms![Inscope Site Summary].Visible=true End If But this didn't work. I am stuck. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Here is an example of using the IsVisible property (straight from your friendly Access help file); If Me!CategoryID.IsVisible Then Me!Line0.Visible = Tr...

calculated field from a form to table
Can you take a calculated field from a form and pull it in to a table?? You can but you should not. Instead, calculate the value each time you need it. Stored values are almost guaranteed to get out of synch sooner or later. HTH -- -Larry- -- "Darren" <Darren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A519CB5-029B-46FF-80B5-22D6FEA0C7AB@microsoft.com... > Can you take a calculated field from a form and pull it in to a table?? Ok, makes sense. If i wanted to do it to get a snapshot and save that in the table, how do you do this? "Larry Daugherty" w...

Changing mask on form
Hi I've got a small problem. I'm in the process of designing an application for inspection process on production line. one of the issues I came across is input masks. scanned serial numbers have to be of specific format, i.e TKCA0CH123456MUR1111 in this mask: 1st three characters (TKC) don't change 4th chcnges depending of month and is a letter 5th is a number representing year so it changes every january 6th character (C) doesn't change 7th (H) is a subject to changes, always a letter 8th-13th are set of 6 random numbers 14th is a letter and last 6 ch...

How do I prevent pictures form moving when adding text?
Right click the picture, format picture, Layout tab, Object position, change to exact. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Peggy" <Peggy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA35218F-D1FA-4691-B01E-3D50B2AF3FA9@microsoft.com... > Is there a way when inserting pictures and clipart of have them all wrap the way you want when you bring them in. Some option or setup or something for when you insert pictures? Everytime I insert pictures I need to change the wrap. "Mary Sauer" wrote: > Right click the picture, format picture, Layout t...

All Day Affair designation
I am presently using Office Outlook 2007 with Windows Vista. All my appointments show in the "To Do" window except those I have designated as "An All Day Affair". These are important commitments for me, how can I have them listed as upcoming appointments? Thanks for your help. Gene L. All Day Events don't show in the To-Do Bar of Outlook 2007, only on the calendar. If you upgrade to Outlook 2010 (due in the next several weeks) it does support All-Day Events in the To-Do Bar. -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.roland...

Form sizing issue
In my database I have one form with a running list of students. When you select a name from the list, I want it to open the students form to that student's record as a dialog form so that I can have some code wait for the student form to close before it runs. The code is DoCmd.OpenForm "frmStudents", acNormal, , "StudentID = Forms!frmStudents.StudentID", acFormEdit, acDialog All that works fine except that when the Student form opens, it maximizes, removes the toolbars at the top and even covers the Windows start bar at the bottom of the screen. I have played w...

Selected items from List Box sent to Form Field
When items are selected from a list box (frm!List52), they currently populate another list box (frm!List56) but I would like the selections made to also update a field (T_assigned) on the form. Currently frm! List56 is populated with first name and last name data - Columns 1 and 2 - I am trying to get the selected ID_NUMs from Column 0 into the T_assigned field. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, thanks. ______________________________________________ Public Sub CopySelected(ByRef frm As Form) Dim ctlSource As Control Dim ctlDest As Control Dim strItems As String...

Reverting to Custom Outlook 2003 Contact Form
Somehow I have managed to create a Custom Form and when I open a Contact I get a message that Form cannot be read and will be opened in Outlook. I recall a message about a change to a .dot template and had trouble getting rid of this message so I suspect I saved an unplanned Custom Form. I would be grateful for any advice on how to revert the Contacts to the original standard Outlook Form. -- Neil@UK ..dot files are Word templates, generally unrelated to Outlook custom forms, so your scenario is a little confusing. To find out whether the items are indeed using a custom fo...

Outlook Contacts always suggests "Custom Form Cannot Be Opened"
Dear All, I have ascertained by searching "Message Class Field" that all contacts in the search come up as found. Therefore I think somehow I have put in place a Custom Form and would like Outlook to go back to using the default / standard form. Thank you for any further Help. Yours sincerely, -- Neil@UK Get http://www.publicshareware.com/download/DocMessageClass.zip and use it to change the message class back to the default. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.sli...

Opening Form without data retrieved
When a bound form is openned, it automatically loads the first record of the bound recordset. How do I prevent this from happening? -- Sincerely, Ronald R. Dodge, Jr. Master MOUS 2000 Leave the RecordSource blank until you want records, then set the RecordSource. Ronald Dodge wrote: >When a bound form is openned, it automatically loads the first record of the >bound recordset. How do I prevent this from happening? > -- HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro Please post back to this forum so all may benefit. Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmon...

update many fields in a form from existing info.
I have 2 tables. One table stores various information about companies including company name, address, etc. The second table stores student names. In a form, I am able to enter mutiple student names into a memo field and, as of right now, type in the company name, address, etc. (it is not linked to the company name table at all). What I want to do is this: from the student add form, search the company table for a company based on partial name and/or zipcode, select one company from a possible 1 or more companies, and have the fields in the form automatically fill in - pulling the ...

Would you recommend Publisher to design a school year book?
I would like to publish the local school's year book in Publisher, the year book contains photos, drawings as well as text. Would you recommend this software for this purpose? Catalog merge http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH010504381033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Black and White" <Black and White@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13F70636-B32F-41DA-83A7-08B88E3875C0@microsoft.com... >I would like to publish the local school's year book in Publisher, t...