Deleting Text

I know that with "&" I can add two text cells together.

How do I get rid of text?

In the example "Roddick, Andy (USA)  " in A2, I want to get rid of "(USA)
". I can separate with "=right(A1,7)", the last seven characters, but how to
"subtract" them from within A2"

Felix
0
Felix1 (26)

In an un-used cell, enter:

=LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-7) then copy this cell and
paste/special/value back onto A2
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200827

"Felix" wrote:

> I know that with "&" I can add two text cells together.
>
> How do I get rid of text?
>
> In the example "Roddick, Andy (USA)  " in A2, I want to get rid of "(USA)
> ". I can separate with "=right(A1,7)", the last seven characters, but how to
> "subtract" them from within A2"
>
> Felix
0
GarysStudent (1572)

Horizontal text changes when chart is uploaded in word
I have set "MNOK" in horizontal on the left side of a chart in excel 2007. When I upload the chart to word the text "MNOK" changes to letters under each other : M N O K Anyone know why ? -- AMH Consider saving the chart as a picture and then loading that picture into your word document. You won't be able to edit the Excel file directly from the Word document, but your chart will appear as you want it to. Jon Peltier further explains why this is a better idea . . . http://peltiertech.com/Excel/XL_PPT.html -- John Mansfield cellmatrix.net "AMH" wrote...

Publisher text disappears on saving
I have a 25 page doc with both text , tables and photos. When saved and closed,on reopening the text has gone, photos and tables are OK as before saving. Can anyone help, this is the second time I've had to retype Is this a recent occurance? Have you made any changes to your system lately? Have you tried moving various parts of your publication to see if the text boxes are hiding behind something else? Like maybe a line that goes around the page? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Ronin" <Roni...

text search within an array
I'm trying to search all records in column A across all records from column B through F. the terms in column A will be substrings within B through F. CountIF does not return all results of the substrings, and referencing the cell name [A2] to pull the text only pulls A2 when using astericks. anyone know how to Count all instances of substring text of Column A within columns B through F? thanks damon On Sep 1, 12:29=A0pm, Samdog20 <damonpet...@gmail.com> wrote: > I'm trying to search all records in column A across all records from > column B through F. > > the te...

Error deleting Contact
Running 2003 ExchangeSP1 and Wind2003 SP1. Got a contact, added a new smtp address to it and set as primary and trying to remove the old one and get this error... This is the home e-mail address of this recipient. It cannot be removed. ID no: c10312e8 This link does not help me http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309212/EN-US/ Assist please. Thank you. Delete and recreate the contact. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "WILDPACKET" <WILDPACKET@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9FFCAF8-9031-49B6...

Vertical Text #3
wondering how to change text in Row A(first row) so that it is rotated 90 degrees Counter clockwise go to Format-->Cells and on the alignment tab rotate the text as desired. HTH, Katherine "G" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:060601c3afd7$f8740b90$a301280a@phx.gbl... > wondering how to change text in Row A(first row) so that > it is rotated 90 degrees Counter clockwise Select row1 Click Format > Cells > Alignment tab Under Orientation: either click inside the "half-clock" to move the Text pointer to point straight up...

XP Pro. .Cannot delete movie files. Help!
I'm trying to delete files in XP pro that have been duplicated on the desktop and elsewhere but every time I atempt it I get an error message saying " Cannot delete ( name of file) : It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again." the files are all video files(real player and quicktime) . I am fairly new to computing and have a tendancy to be a bit thick but as far as I'm aware no programs are running at all. What's going on? This is the first time I've posted a question or comment on any forum (if ...

deleting all customers
Is there a query I can run to delete all customers in the databas? Thanks Scott have you tried this: delete from customer "Scott Santorio" wrote: > Is there a query I can run to delete all customers in the databas? > > Thanks > > Scott ...

Receiving emails in Plain text
Hi there, I have a user that keeps receiving emails in plain text instead of HTML. All the other users gets it in HTML exept for him. Any ideas? What version of Outlook "Keyser" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:123fe01c4427d$d215dd50$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi there, > > I have a user that keeps receiving emails in plain text > instead of HTML. All the other users gets it in HTML exept > for him. > > Any ideas? Outlook 2000 >-----Original Message----- >What version of Outlook >"Keyser" <anonymous@di...

Outlook Mailbox Rules Cause Deleted Email Attachments!!!!!
We are having a major issue as a result of installing the Exchange Router and creating the mailbox rules that forward a copy of the email message to the Microsoft CRM Router. Some interesting facts: * This problem did not start occurring until we installed the Exchange Router * We can consistently duplicate this problem with all of our CRM users, but there is not problem with other users in our organization who are not exchange users * I am a CRM user but I do not have the mailbox rules installed, and the problem is NOT occurring for me We had our infrastructure team do some more resear...

PST, dose not show text
I set up Office 2003, when I move an E-Mail from my in box to the PST the text will not show as long as it is in the PST. If I move it from the PST back to the inbox the text will show, any help would be nice. Thanks The Inbox, and all other folders are subfolders of the PST - the main containing file. If you wish to move mail from Inbox you first create a new sub Folder, off the Inbox Folder, named whatever. "Bruce Mercer" <bruce.mercer@kirtland.af.mil> wrote in message news:1b3f01c4ac9d$ab8acda0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I set up Office 2003, when I move an E-Mail from my...

Importing a Text File (Parsing)
I have a text file that is generated by a computer system so is not changeable but I want to be able to pull data off of that form and into MS Excel so I can do some charting and graphing. The format looks like the following Node ID: TEAM1 Date Generated: 11 Oct 03 Group StatusA StatusB Status C Status D Red 1 2 3 4 Blue 2 3 4 5 Orange 5 6 7 8 Node ID: TEAM1 Call Rate FROM HI MED LOW OTHER TEAM2 33 109 1221 1 TEAM3 5 789 4000 0 TEAM4 1 23 ...

Extra spaces when I insert text
When I forward a message but need to edit the text in the body of the message (the message in the forwarded email) OL automatically places an extra space before the inserted text. I tried putting it right next to the previous word, but then I have an extra trailing space. I am using OL 2003. Messages are composed in HTML . Any ideas of why this is happening and how to fix it? "smhish" wrote in message news:540E25D7-50BE-47F5-8B9D-744C63030F32@microsoft.com... > When I forward a message but need to edit the text in the body of the > message > (the message in the fo...

Text formatting in cells #2
I am designing a form in Excel 2000. Occasionally, in a cell I am getting what appears to be a blank line immediately above the first line of text. I have tried changing alignment & cell format etc, but it still appears every so often & I would like to prevent this. Any help would be appreciated -- HP63 You get one rowheight per row. If the cell in Column A needs a large rowheight and the cell in column B (in the same row) needs just a little height (and you have the cell formatted to be bottom aligned), it could look this way. If that's not the case, have you reset the heig...

Accessing the Data Connection Strings and Command Text (SQL) in VB
I have a number of Excel files that have data connections to various sources, and I want to be able to read the data connection strings and command text (SQL) using VBA. In Access this would be easy to do, creating a database object, and looking at the QueryDefs. Is there something similar in Excel? If someone could point me to an on-line reference or provide a code like the one below, that would be great. Thank you. Mark Private Sub Test() Dim strMsg As String Dim db As DAO.Database Dim qds As DAO.QueryDefs Dim qd As DAO.QueryDef Set db = curre...

User cannot delete message
We have a user using Outlook 2000 who cannot delete a message. When she tries to delete the message she recieves an error message which state that access is denied and that the message could not be found. This messages apparently has her mailbox somewhat frozen in that I can see 20 messages in my local delivery queue waiting to be delivered to her. What is the best way to proceed to get that message out of her Inbox to see if that is what is preventing her mail being delivered? Thanks Gary have you tried doing a <shift delete>? "Gary" <anonymous@discussions.mic...

Money 98 Delete symbols from obsolete symbols file #2
My obsolete symbols ,txt has over 250 symbols so when I go on line to update stock market prices I have to uncheck several manually on the pop=up window which says it can't search for over 250 symbols. I can not figure out how to empty or permanently eliminate uneeded symbols from this file. Anybody got any ideas? Howard ...

Backspace randomly starts deleting bullets...
I write a lot of lecture outlines in MS Word using bullets. It works extremely well, however, the funniest thing happens and I'd love to be able to stop it. Everything will work great for a time: When I press tab, the bullet will indent one tab forward. When I press backspace, the bullet will de-indent one tab backward. .... then, all of the sudden, without any purposeful doing on my part: When I press tab, the bullet will indent one tab forward. However, when I press backspace, it deletes the bullet. .... and this continues for the rest of the document and I can't...

Emails automatically deleting after opened and read
Can someone give me a little insight on why this is happening? I have a receptionists who reads her emails and then they automatically move to the deleted items. There is not a rule set up in the wizard -- what gives??? Thank you for you any information you may have. DP ...

Maintain PO Line item number sequence when one is deleted.
Once a PO is printed (released), if a line item is deleted, all subsequent line item numbers are resequenced. I would prefer they are not resequenced to maintain accurate history and to all me to tell the vendor that line item 13 was deleted. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree"...

Couple of queries re macros (end of data / delete row if...)
Hi, firstly when using the basic record a macro feature, I often want to select the entire range for sorting / formating etc. The problem is if any of the fields are blank, you can end up pressing end | down several times, and this is no good for changing data. So question is, is there a way of doing this via the record a macro screen, or is there some code I can paste into my existing macro? Secondly, how do I get a macro to check the contents of column N, and if it contains the words "Loaded at Site", delete the entire row and resort the spreadsheet. Thanks in advance. You co...

how to write text to a property page
Hi! I have a property sheet containing two property pages. I would like to read some data off a file and print to each of the two pages. Can someone recommend a function that I can use to do this? thanks, Craig C++ Shark wrote: > Hi! > > I have a property sheet containing two property pages. I would like to > read some data off a file and print to each of the two pages. Can > someone recommend a function that I can use to do this? read and keep your data in a suitable form in the property sheet. In each page's OnSetActive, get the sheet pointer: CNewPropertySheet* p...

list box controls
I have a userform list box - the data it is using to populate the list box contains part numbers - some of which are text and some of which are numbers. How do I set it so no matter what type of part number is selected, it will show as text? Thanks in advance. One way would be to apply the CStr function to each value of the ListBox as you use it. For example Range("A1") = CStr(ListBox1.Value) Or if MultiSelect Range("A1") = CStr(ListBox1.List(0) The CStr function forces the data to string type and if it is already string type it ignores it. "...

why do I get a different footer when copying and pasting text
I have a document that I want to copy chunks of into another document, but when I paste it into the new document it completely changes the footer and doesn't match the original or the new documents' footers - does anyone know why this happens and how I can stop this happening please? Hi Dawn, If the material that you are copying contains any section breaks, those section breaks will be copied into your document along with the configuration of the headers and footers that are embedded within them. A section break may look like a little thing, but a lot of information is...

Making items inactive as opposed to deleting them
I have read that it's bad to delete items, and I think I found that true because I went back recently to look at a prior sale and it wouldn't pull up any info on it cause I had deleted the item in question. So, I went in and made a few items inactive to try it, and now I can't find them. Sorry for being an idiot, but how do I access the inactive items in inventory? Brad Couple things you can do is run an item quantity report and filter for inactive = yes....you can also run an inventorry wizard task "set items active" it will show you the items that are flagged...

can't delete messages #2
I can't delete any messages in the outbox. please help ...