Deleting excess rows and columns

First time to use Excel, and I can't find the answer.  I have already set up
my sheet, and it has infinite rows and columns.  How do I limit it to just
what I need?
0
abbyzmom (2)

Hi

the 256 columns and 65536 rows are the basis of an excel worksheet and can
not be added to or deleted.  However, you can hide unused ones.

Select the unused columns and choose format/ column / hide.  Repeat for the
rows.

Cheers
JulieD

"abbyzmom" <abbyzmom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> First time to use Excel, and I can't find the answer.  I have already set
> up
> my sheet, and it has infinite rows and columns.  How do I limit it to just
> what I need?

0
JulieD1 (2295)
1/18/2005 12:50:34 PM
Thanks, JulieD!

0
abbyzmom (2)

Deleting old items
Hi All, We have nearly 70,000 item codes out of which we have identified some 10,000 item codes which are not having any history or quantities. These are codes from the old legacy system which were not to be imported into RMS. Due to these unnecessary codes our reports including the stock count variance reports are slowed down. We would like to delete these unnecessary item codes from the RMS database so that we can speed up reports and keep the data base clean. Would really appreciate if you could let me know how we can go about this and the implications if any in doing such mass d...

How to increase the row hight in Excel
My row height will only go to 175.5 then when I increase it manually the data just goes down leaving the top with no data. The more I manually increase the cell height the more space I have on top. Comments don't work because if I enter any data one the first cell as an example then every comment is throw out of whack therefore I have chosen to take all the comments and put them in their own cell where I know they will stay. Maybe try re-doing the alignment of the cell..........Right-click > AlignmentTab > change the Vertical: window to "TOP" > ok Vaya con Dios,...

Compare two file/colunms, hide row not does not equal list.
Excel 2000 -have two files. File "A" has 1 through 4155 records (rows with three columns) in numerical order. File "B", has a list of almost 200 rows/numbers (one column) from file "A". How can I hide the rows in file "A", not are listed in file "B"? Thanks, Jerry Not sure whether you are still monitoring this post, Jerry. Anyway, here's some thoughts ventured .. Conceptually, you should be able to achieve this via setting up a helper col and then autofiltering on the helper. Let's start by simplifying the scenario by having bo...

auto open all columns to their maximum
I am emailing CSV files from a database to end users. When the user opens the CSV file how can I have excel auto open all of the columns to their maxium. Since you have CSV file format, each person will need to highlight a row, Format - Columns - Autofit. "Paul" wrote: > I am emailing CSV files from a database to end users. When the user opens the > CSV file how can I have excel auto open all of the columns to their maxium. actually...to play it safe and avoid dropping leading zero's....the user should open in wordpad, not excel.... "Paul" wrote: > I ...

Text box displaying columns from a combo box
I'm using text boxes to display the column data from a combo box. Trouble is when I move to another record or close the form and ome back in, those results are not displayed anymore and I have to reslect the values in the combo boxes to fill in the text boxes. Is there a way to lock the results to the text box for each record? TIA -- Don, Sydney Australia Don, I take it that you have a combo bound to a field in your table. When the combo is dropped down, you see several columns, but when it's not dropped down you can see only one. Therefore you have added some other text boxe...

Deleting a Batch
Does anyone know how to delete a batch... We just upgraded from QS2000, and we have imported our history... while learning the product we created several transactions and ran a z report... However all of the elements of this batch are bogus and now it would appear as though we can not purge batches like we couldv'e done in QS2000... My Accounting staff is now going crazy because the taxes are now way off the charts... any help would be extreamly appreiciated... Mitchell Mitchell, First backup your files, then backup up again to somewhere else to be safe. If you are on the M...

can not delete mail in outlook 2004
hi all, i am using outlook 2003, i can not delete mail in inbox and delete items. it showed that "outlook.pst can not access, there are no enough space". pls help me How large is your .pst file? RIght click on the root of your mailbox, = select properties->folder size. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, trang asked: | hi all, |=20 | i am using outlook 2003, i can not delete mail in inbox and d...

deleted emails in outlook 2007 return back in the inbox
A user deletes emails and then after a week, the deleted emails show back in the inbox. Help? "Roy@bnl.gov" <Roybnlgov@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF9BE735-98B5-488E-9CB1-35757A71FA80@microsoft.com... >A user deletes emails and then after a week, the deleted emails show back >in > the inbox. Help? Are you sure it is the same thing or are they actually just similar things - like spam that you get more than once for example? Secondly, if you are at a Govt installation, is this happening because of email being restored by someone at the ser...

Adjust Row Height for Text
I am working on a worksheet, and I have a row that contains text that I want to restrain in length so the text automatically wraps around and starts a new line within the row. I've tried "help" in Encel, but I can't figure how to do this. I want a wrap around in the row, because I don't want the text to exceed the limits of the paper when the worksheet is printed out. Any help would be appreciated. Pedro -- To contact me directly by email, please remove the words "NO" and "SPAM" from the reply address above. Alt click on the cell you want...

Deleted excel file
Hi all, I work a helpdesk and have a user that inadvertently deleted an Excel spreadsheet that she had just created (no backup). Since it is not in the recycle bin, is there a way to recover this file or is it lost? Thanks in advance. Kent Hi Kent, If the file is not listed in the Recycle Bin or elsewhere on the user's system, it is likely not recoverable; however, the user may want to check with third-party utilities such as Norton or Mace Utilities for possible recovery options. Hope this helps! -- Tom Moore [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties...

Column lines
Was using someones PC today and the excel spreadsheet only had row lines and did not have column lines, this is the lines that make up the `boxes`. I did open a new spreadsheet but they are all formatted the same. how do i correct this. thanks Got to Tools>Options and check the box next to Gridlines "Scudo" wrote: > Was using someones PC today and the excel spreadsheet only had row lines and > did not have column lines, this is the lines that make up the `boxes`. I did > open a new spreadsheet but they are all formatted the same. > > how do i correct this. &...

Copying the column heading into all non-empty cells #3
Gord you're a genius! Thanks so much - that works a treat! Sorry I didn't get back to yo last night - I'm in London and it was past my bedtime. The reason I'm copying the headings into the rows by the way, is that have a database which I want users to be able to search, and it's easie if I just have have one column listing all the Amenities for each hotel rather than 120. Incidentally, my next move is to now merge all the cells in each ro into one, with the amenities separated by spaces. I've just downloade a "Merge Cell Wizard", which has accomplished th...

When I add a row to excel how can I stop formulae changing
I've done this before, but can't remember how. I want to add a row at the top of a sheet, but without formulae with a range eg =sum(a1:a5) changing to =sum(a2:a6). $ isn't the answer =SUM(INDIRECT("A1:A5")) HTH Kostis Vezerides "vezerid" wrote: > =SUM(INDIRECT("A1:A5")) > > HTH > Kostis Vezerides > Thanks for that. How about if I after inserting a row A1:A5 changes to A1:A6 TIA Dave ...

bar chart prints 1 unwanted horizontal row of dots & tick marks?
Office Excel 2007. Anyone encounter this? The sheet I'm printing is 19 columns wide by 69 rows high with portrait orientation. Bar chart is set between row 25 and 47 horizontally. The x-axis is increasing months. 2 vertical bars are set between the major gridlines. It so happens that the chart vertical gridlines are very close to lining up with the spreadsheet cells above/below the chart. Print preview shows nothing unusual, but when printed, 1 row right throught the middle of the chart has 1 to 2 dots and a character high tick mark appear to the right of each right most(second) bar...

Create individual worksheets for selected rows in a table
Hi guys, I hope somebody may be able to help. I want to be able to automate the following procedure Create individual worksheets for selected rows in a table. Many thanks - Batman2002 Batman, If you really want the entirerow, then use this - if you just want the selection, then remove the .EntireRow of the last line: Sub CopySelectioToNewWorksheet() Dim mySheet1 As Worksheet Dim mySheet2 As Worksheet Set mySheet1 = ActiveSheet Set mySheet2 = Sheets.Add(Type:="Worksheet") mySheet1.Activate Selection.EntireRow.Copy mySheet2.Range("A1") End Sub HTH, Bernie "...

Can a standard column in MS Project be permanently hidden
We need to hide the Std Rate column in the resource views in MS Project for certain project managers (due to contractual requirements) so we are trying to determine if we can just hide it from everyone. We need to make it so it can't be added back. Even though it would be possible to set up a task and add 1 hour and look at the cost to get the rate, the requirement is that the Std Rate field be hidden. Is this something that is possible? This is for Project Server 2007 SP2 and MS Project Pro 2007 SP2. This is a frequently asked question and I'm afraid the answer is still ...

How do I sum dollars in one column based on dates in another?
How can I sum the total numbers contained in one column based on dates in another column? Example: I need the total of 5 units sold int the month of January 2006. I have the sale ammounts in one column and the closing dates in another. What forumla would I use for this? Thanks in advance for any help. =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(B2:B50)=1),--(YEAR(B2:B50)=2006),A2:A50) for January change 1 in the month part to a different month -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com (remove ^^ from email address) Portland, Oregon "Alan" <Alan@discus...

delete rows containing blank/missing values
I have very large database( almost 500,000 ) that contains road characteristic readings in two columns taken by a highly sophisticated instrument . I would like to remove the rows that the instrument missed to take the reading. Could some one help me in doing this. The normal technique would be to construct a SELECT query that returns only the rows you want. What distinguishes these rows from the others? On 10 Mar 2007 21:47:50 -0800, prasanna.kusam@gmail.com wrote: >I have very large database( almost 500,000 ) that contains road >characteristic readings in two columns taken by a hi...

Searching Columns
I have a box (cell) at the top of the page in which I want it to search a column for the latest date. Once it finds the latest date it takes the data from a cell in the same row as the latest date. Can this be done? If so, how? Aviator You can use a formula like: =MAX(C:C) to find the biggest date in column C (if column C contains nothing but dates) To return the value in the column D that matches the biggest date: =INDEX(D:D,MATCH(MAX(C:C),C:C,0)) Debra Dalgleish has some nice notes for =index(match()) at: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html Aviator wrote: > > I have a...

Finding the last row in a spreadsheet
Hi all. I'm a relative newbie to using Excel and am stumped. I'm trying to find the last (non-zero) value in a column. The cells all have a function in them presently like =IF(C8>0,SUM(B8:C8)," ") presently so that the cell truly is not empty. I've tried using =LOOKUP(2,1/(D2:D350>0),D2:D350) but it displays nothing since all the cells have a value (the function above). How do I find the last cell having a numeric value (which is what the first function provides)? Any help is greatly appreciated. It's because you don't use empty as opposed to space &...

Deleting Rows if..
I'm trying to get visual basic to delete all the rows that have a certain value (i.e. 1) in a specific column. I've seen this done with a loop, but I'm not sure how it all works. Any insight would be great Thanks Dennis Try the example on this page Dennis http://www.rondebruin.nl/delete.htm Post back if you need help -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "dennis" <dennis.chou@ibtco.com> wrote in message news:010601c423fb$764c4590$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I'm trying to get visual basic to delete all the rows that > have a certain value...

Auto-select combo box entry when only one row
I have 2 combo boxes the second is dependent on the first. When the first is clicked, I requery the second in the OnClick event. When the requeried combo box has only one row, I'd like this to be auto selected. How can I do this? Thanks. "mscertified" <rupert@tigerlily.com> wrote in message news:3AACB546-54A0-4BC2-8AFA-03AEB37F001E@microsoft.com... >I have 2 combo boxes the second is dependent on the first. When the first >is > clicked, I requery the second in the OnClick event. When the requeried > combo > box has only one row, I'd like this to be...

changing column headings in Business Portal for GP
How do I change a column heading in Business Portal for Great Plains? Sean E., Thanks for using the newsgroup. What version of BP are you using? Could you provide more detail for what you are trying to accomplish? Thanks Rob Bernhardt Software Quality Assurance Microsoft Business Solutions This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Sean E." wrote: > How do I change a column heading in Business Portal for Great Plains? ...

Can I make column width and row height equal (a grid) in Excel?
I'd like to use a worksheet like a piece of graph paper. Is there any simple way to set the column width and the row height to form perfect squares in a worksheet? Buzz MS Office Excel Template for graph paper........ http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC010183751033.aspx If you want to "roll your own"....... Assuming 96 pixels per inch you could approximate but at different resolutions your approximation can be off. If you want to use VBA to set height and width in mm which you then convert to inches at 25.4 mm per inch.......... Ole Erlandson has code for set...

how do i delete the extra empty rows and columns that i dont need.
I want to limit the size of the worksheet to include only the rows & columns that I need. Thanks in advance Select the first blank row, hit Shift+Ctrl+Down arrow. Edit-->Delete. Select the first blank column, hit Shift+Ctrl+Right arrow. Edit-->Delete Save. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.piersontech.com www.mrexcel.com "lindaY" <lindaY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1BA1DB0B-002C-4C0C-A241-5BAC704869B6@microsoft.com... > I want to limit the size of the worksheet to include only the rows & columns > that I need. > > Thanks in...