Delete rows with specific text

Hi all,
     I have figured out how to use the replace feature to replace certain
words or lines with others.  My question is: Can this or any other feature be
used to delete entire rows?  For example, I have several rows to be deleted
spread out over a worksheet that is hundreds of pages long.  All of these
rows begin with the word "press".  Any suggestions?  Thank you very much.
--
Thanks,
David

Two options.

1.  Can you sort your data?  If so, sort based on the cell that begins with
"press" then all of the rows you need to delete will be together and you can
delete those in one step.

2.  If you can't sort the data, then use the AUTOFILTER feature (Data menu).
 This will allow you to hide the rows that don't begin with "press" and then
delete those in one step.

Bob Tulk
MOUS (XP/97)

"David" wrote:

> Hi all,
>      I have figured out how to use the replace feature to replace certain
> words or lines with others.  My question is: Can this or any other feature be
> used to delete entire rows?  For example, I have several rows to be deleted
> spread out over a worksheet that is hundreds of pages long.  All of these
> rows begin with the word "press".  Any suggestions?  Thank you very much.
> --
> Thanks,
> David
0
Bobt (10)
10/24/2008 4:38:02 PM
Hi,

In 2002 or 2003
1. Highlight the column of data containing the word "press"
2. Press Ctrl+F
3. Enter Press in the Find what box
4. Click Options if necessary and make sure that Match entire cell contents
is unchecked
5. Click Find All, the first found item is highlighted in the window,
6. scroll down until you can see the last item
7. Hold down the Shift key and click the last item - all the items are
selected.
8. Click Close.
9. Press Ctrl+-  (Ctrl and Minus keys), choose Entire row.

Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"David" wrote:

> Hi all,
>      I have figured out how to use the replace feature to replace certain
> words or lines with others.  My question is: Can this or any other feature be
> used to delete entire rows?  For example, I have several rows to be deleted
> spread out over a worksheet that is hundreds of pages long.  All of these
> rows begin with the word "press".  Any suggestions?  Thank you very much.
> --
> Thanks,
> David
Thanks Shane,

I had forgotten about this 'trick'...

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In 2002 or 2003
> 1. Highlight the column of data containing the word "press"
> 2. Press Ctrl+F
> 3. Enter Press in the Find what box
> 4. Click Options if necessary and make sure that Match entire cell contents
> is unchecked
> 5. Click Find All, the first found item is highlighted in the window,
> 6. scroll down until you can see the last item
> 7. Hold down the Shift key and click the last item - all the items are
> selected.
> 8. Click Close.
> 9. Press Ctrl+-  (Ctrl and Minus keys), choose Entire row.
>
> If this helps, please click the Yes button.
> --
> Thanks,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "David" wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >      I have figured out how to use the replace feature to replace certain
> > words or lines with others.  My question is: Can this or any other feature be
> > used to delete entire rows?  For example, I have several rows to be deleted
> > spread out over a worksheet that is hundreds of pages long.  All of these
> > rows begin with the word "press".  Any suggestions?  Thank you very much.
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > David
Thanks guys, you are helpful as always.
--
Thanks,
David

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In 2002 or 2003
> 1. Highlight the column of data containing the word "press"
> 2. Press Ctrl+F
> 3. Enter Press in the Find what box
> 4. Click Options if necessary and make sure that Match entire cell contents
> is unchecked
> 5. Click Find All, the first found item is highlighted in the window,
> 6. scroll down until you can see the last item
> 7. Hold down the Shift key and click the last item - all the items are
> selected.
> 8. Click Close.
> 9. Press Ctrl+-  (Ctrl and Minus keys), choose Entire row.
>
> If this helps, please click the Yes button.
> --
> Thanks,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "David" wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >      I have figured out how to use the replace feature to replace certain
> > words or lines with others.  My question is: Can this or any other feature be
> > used to delete entire rows?  For example, I have several rows to be deleted
> > spread out over a worksheet that is hundreds of pages long.  All of these
> > rows begin with the word "press".  Any suggestions?  Thank you very much.
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > David
0
David4882 (672)

Display all cells values of that row from where a cell value retri
Hi All, I'm a baby to Excel Programming. But I've to programme Excel 2003 work book in order that if sth is typed in the text box control. The code searches all the worksheets and displays the value in the label control. I've a textbox control, label control and a command button control in Sheet 1 Now with the below mentioned codes I suceeded to retrieve a cell value in a lable control. But the problem is, I've no idea to display all the cells value of that from where the cell in a row, a data was retrieved. Any Idea!! Please Help!! SOS Please consider!...

Formatting a Text Box
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) How do you format the text within a text box to be centered both horizontally and vertically? <br><br>I am attempting to create a template using aligned text boxes so that 1 or 2 lines of text can be typed into the box and it will always be centered. Horizontal is easy to do, but I am not succeeding with the vertical? <br><br>The intent of this is to be able to enter names into each box and print and cut out name tag inserts. Maybe I'm using the wrong approach? Thanks! Well, the approach you are us...

Save as text file, but with full headers
I want to save quite a few messages as text file, but I want to save them with full headers. Is this possible? ...

Justify text across multiple columns
I have used Edit, Fill, Justify to fill rows with text within the boundaries of a set number of columns, but the text in each row is left justified. How do I justify the text (even spacing) in each row. If I highlight all of the text (multiple columns and rows) and then select Format, Cells, Alignment, Justify; Excel jams all the text into the first column. I know I could use a text box, but I'd prefer not to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. -Dave Hi Dave, Select the cells you want to center on. Under Format > Alignment > Horizontal drop down > Center across se...

Clean-up queue with deleted activities
Hi, Yesterday I created campaign telephone call activities and assigned them to a queue. I decided to delete the activities and now I have the problem that they are still shown in the queue. When I try to delete them there I get the error record not found. Also I cannot remove the queue. Please help me to cleanup this queue. Thank you, Regards Jan instead of selecting all , choos for example 10 and then click on Delete or choose just one and delete and see if you still get the erro? ------ Aamir Blog = http://mscrmsupport.wordpress.com/ No, same error. "Aamir Bashir" wro...

Deleting an outbox email without opening Outlook.
Hi, I'm using Outlook 2002. There is an email that seems to be stuck in my outbox and has been sent 54 times to the recipient! If I try to delete the email from the outbox I get an error message saying that it is unable to delete and please restart outlook to rectify the problem. This doesn't help at all. Once Outlook is restarted the sending process will start all over again. Is there a way that I can delete the email without opening Outlook so that when I start the program next time there is nothing in the outbox. Thanks in advance for any help. Regards, Sonars UK. ...

Comparing 2 coulumns in different worksheets and printing the rows that match
hello, Sorry to bother everyone. I am trying to learn some Visual Basic t maybe make a function that woudl do what i need, but that is goin slow. What i am trying to do follows. Workbook: NeededPatches.xls sheet1: Srvneed sheet2: ITPatches sheet3: Final I have created a perl script that uses the microsft progra hfnetchk.exe to find what patches are needed on all of our systems her at work. it gives me a text print out that is tab delimited and import that into excel on the *Srvneed* sheet. *Column B* in this shee has the patch numbers for what is needed. Now our IT security also has a lis...

Wrap text only when selected
Tricky question here . . . I have many text cells that I would prefer to have formatted with no text wrapping. That makes scanning the sheet for other data much easier on the eyes (fixed row height). However, I do need to see what the text is, but only on a line-by-line basis. I know that if I double-click on a cell, it will expand the text out. But what I'd really like to do is highlight the row (or a few rows) and have that apply text wrapping to each text cell in the region, and only for as long as it is highlighted. Can this even be done? Thanks, Lee It might become annoying, bu...

Find/replace with different text colour messes up
When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a different colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell instead of just the word that was searched on. To see this in action, try this: 1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet 2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance. Now, let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red. 3.. Open up Search/Replace 4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test 5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test 6.. For the "R...

Cannot delet/view mailbox
Running Exchange 5.5 sp4 on a 2000 Server In "Mailbox Resources" I have a mailbox named "Admin" without any other information other than size and number of items for this mailbox. Also,it does not show in the "Recipients" directory. When I try to view the properties for the mailbox I receive an error message saying: "The object cannot be found in the directory. This may be because replication has not completed Microsoft exchange directory ID no:c1010aae". All other features on the exchange server work fine, but my backup fails because of this mailb...

Protect Worksheet but allow to insert or delete rows
I have set up a worksheet, locked and unlocked cells as needed and I want to allow the user to insert and delete rows. But, when I set protection and tick "Insert Rows" and tick "Delete Rows"; the menu only will allow "Insert Rows", the "Delete Rows" field is not accessible. Solution? Do you get an error message saying that you can't delete the row since there are locked cells on that row? I do when I protect a worksheet using your options and then rightclick on a row number and choose delete. (And that row contains locked cells.) Bob L Hill...

Text Box Defaults
Hi, Im trying to set a text box Default Value to a public variable in my database I have set the Default Value to = MyVariable(60) but all I get is #Name? the variable is a variant and I have checked to see that whats stored in the variable can be entered into the text box. Help! Steve - Land Down Under Steve, Is MyVariable the name of a Function? If so, I would expect it to work as the textbox's Default Value, as long as its syntax is correct. I would suspect that the #Name? error may not be related at all to this Default Value property. It is more likely to be related to the ...

How do I resize a worksheet after deleting rows?
After deleting rows in a spreadsheet Excel seems to remember the blank rows, and will try to print them unless I reset the print area. Also, when I subtotal the grand totals appear after the blank rows. Is there a way to re-set the size? Save the workbook after deleting the Entire rows and before printing. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Jay Jay" <JayJay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A4B3295-C46C-4100-94B5-9AB4500DCFB2@microsoft.com... > After deleting rows in a spreadsheet Excel seems to remember the blank rows, > and will try to print them unless I...

I need a shortcut to make a excel file open to a specific sheet
I need to know how to modify an excel shortcut to make a file always open to a specific named "intro" sheet. You can use a macro: http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=338 ************ Anne Troy VBA Project Manager www.OfficeArticles.com "EAHRENS" <EAHRENS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CEF8135-5F57-400F-B5AF-9A11396110A8@microsoft.com... >I need to know how to modify an excel shortcut to make a file always open >to > a specific named "intro" sheet. Try doing it within the files workbook_open event in the ThisWork...

Auto-Fit Text Box as Default
In Publisher, can 1 setup "Best-Fit" in textbox auto-fill as default?? As it stands now, I have to go in and change it "per" document, but would like to have this always on for all my new docs Thank you H wood I don't know a way that you can do that. I am confused by the statement that you have to change it "per" document since it is a change that is made per textbox. The problem with making text boxes best fit by default is that they can't be linked to by other text boxes. -- Computing should be about insight, not numbers or flash. "Hwood&...

getting value from a cell into another cell behind a text string
Hi, I'd like to know how to get a value from a cell into another behind a text string by using a formula. For example, A B 1 20 Result (20) Thanks, Xianbo Use formatting Pull-down Format > Cells... > Number > Custom and the the field enter: "Result ("General")" The advantage of using formatting is that the cell can still be used for calculations -- Gary''s Student "Xianbo" wrote: > Hi, > > I'd like to know how to get a value from a cell into another behind a text > string by using a formula. Fo...

pictures move with text?
I have a 138 page document with lots of pictures inserted. If I resize the pictures, how do I make subsequent pictures move when the text moves? A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Rosie Flannigan <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"... > I have a 138 page document with lots of pictures inserted. > If I resize the pictures, how do I make subsequent > pictures move when the text moves? You will need to make the pictures inline Right-click > Format Picture > Layout > Object Position = Inline -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Pub...

how to delete account in 'Accounts List'
I have 4 accounts in Accounts List section that I remove, but when I restart Money, they appear again. I've also taken them off my Favorites list but no luck. In microsoft.public.money, core000 wrote: >I have 4 accounts in Accounts List section that I remove, but when I >restart Money, they appear again. I've also taken them off my >Favorites list but no luck. You might want to Close the accounts by right-clicking in the AccountList. Then set the view to not show with SortAccountListBy->HideClosedAccounts. I suspect these are accounts that are/were at the same instit...

How to import a tab delimited text file into MS Access database
Hi, I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. I have a tab delimited text file that needs to be imported into a MS Access table. The table is created and the table structure is defined using DAO methods. So now I have to fill this table with the data in the text files. For a few rows in the text file, the number of columns could be less than the number of columns in the table. Can anyone please post me the code to do this. Thanks a ton in advance. Pradeep If you file has any indication of which data goes in which field you could just parse the CSV file and update the records one by...

add text to back of post card
i created a post card in office 2007 place the clipart on the front and i need to know how to add business info on back thank you Create a new postcard publication. Print the front publication, turn the card over and print the back. With Publisher 2007 is this the least frustrating method. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "debbie" <debbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F74611D-57BD-48DB-A2FD-F7C282AED7D3@microsoft.com... >i created a post card in office 2007 place the clipart o...

Can't delete e-mail #2
I am desperate -- I have not been able to delete several messages from my inbox. I get the message: The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, please restart Outlook. I really need to get rid of the old e-mail since the Inbox is filling up like crazy. Please, can anyone help me? It's a shot in the dark but have you tried running ScanPST.exe on your PST file? "Alyssa" <info@advol.com> wrote in message news:06a901c366c0$b558b730$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I am desperate -- > > I have not been able to delete several message...

Eliminating duplicate records in consecutive rows of a column
Eliminating duplicate records in consecutive rows of a column I have an Excel spread sheet that has 6,000 rows of text in one of the columns. I want to be able to eliminate duplicate records. Can this task be done automatically? In additional to posting your solution to this group, can you please cc: me at lpsca@earthlink.net Sub test() 'Assumes your data is in Column B Application.ScreenUpdating = False 'Amend range as necessary Range("B1:B6000").AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, _ CopyToRange:=Range("C1"), Unique:=True Columns("C:C").Copy Range(&q...

Rotating Text
Using the device context, how can I rotate text? (its for the y axis on a graph) See if the following KB article offers any help http://support.microsoft.com/?id=154515 -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Chris Baker" <ChrisBaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD7C6EEB-2CDC-4EB8-B48D-509041C43593@microsoft.com... > Using the device context, how can I rotate text? > > (its for the y axis on a graph) > Chris Baker wrote: > Using the device context, how can I rotate text? > > (its for the ...

Convert text to time format
Hey, I am unable to convert a piece of text that i copy paste from an external source to time format. Suppose I copy, "July 24 2006, 05:31 PM" and paste the same in excel it just assumes that that the entered data is text and I am unable to format the same. I need to convert this to the time format for proceeding with certain calculations. PLease help.:mad: :mad: +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: TTT.zip | |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=5111 | +-------...

Problem deleting "Unknown Album" from WMP V12
I have an "Unknown Album" showing with one "track" with no name, no length, nothing. Can't edit, can't delete, can't find source location. What might be causing this? What to look for in the way of corrupt file or the like? Such 'ghost' files are a common issue with WMP 12. It's probably a bug, and it could have been caused when a file in your library got deleted while WMP wasn't running, although that might be just one of the possible causes. Restoring the media library will get rid of the file: In WMP, Tools - Advanced - Restore...