date problem

I want to be able to type 110503 and have it show up as
11/05/03 so I selected that date format.

Problem is when I type 110503 I get 7/19/06.  Is there
any way to do this?
0
anonymous (74722)

Excel counts the number of days from its base date - in your case I assume
that you are using the 1904 date system - and formats it to look like a
date.  Try entering today's date and then re-formatting it as General - you
should see 36756.  Excel therefore takes your entry of 110503 as day 110503
from the start date of 1/1/1904 which is 19 July 2206 in your selected
format it shows up as 1/19/06

HTH

Sandy

--
to e-mail direct replace @mailintor.com with @tiscali.co.uk

"D Blount" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to be able to type 110503 and have it show up as
> 11/05/03 so I selected that date format.
>
> Problem is when I type 110503 I get 7/19/06.  Is there
> any way to do this?

0
sandymann (252)
8/19/2004 10:01:43 PM
The format of the cell (other than when set to Text) has no bearing on
how the parser interprets your input.

For a way to accomplish your objective using an event macro, see

   http://cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

In article <997701c48635$84e7a9e0$a601280a@phx.gbl>,
 "D Blount" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I want to be able to type 110503 and have it show up as
> 11/05/03 so I selected that date format.
>
> Problem is when I type 110503 I get 7/19/06.  Is there
> any way to do this?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Problem with Hotmail?
I keep getting messages queued up to hotmail.com & msn.com, but no toehr domains. I'm using Exchange 2003 on Win2k3 w/ GFI Mail Essentials & Symantec Mail Security. Tracking center shows the the items get as far as "Routed and Queued for Remote Delivery". I've deleted the DNS Cache on our DNS Servers & on the Exchange Server, which didn't help. I rebooted the Exchange Server last night which cleared up the problem until this afternoon, when the problem returned. I can connect directly with telnet from our Exchange Server to mx1.hotmail.com 25. Any...

Need to return dates that are > that one year ago
I am building a database that will track employee training. I need to know how to build an expression that will return only those employees who's training is out of date. Meaning that their training date is more than 365 days old. I also have to return employees who's license has expired. I enter the date that their license is renewed and now I need to run a list of all that are greater than one year from last renewed date. KellyDale wrote: >I am building a database that will track employee training. I need to know >how to build an expression that will return only thos...

show date file updated?
Can I have a field that automatically shows the date when the file was last updated? You can use code like Sub LastSaveTime() With ThisWorkbook If .FullName <> vbNullString Then .Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = _ FileDateTime(.FullName) End If End With End Sub This will put the last saved date and time into cell A1 on Sheet1. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel, 10 Years Pearson Software Consulting www.cpearson.com (email on the web site) "Chris Hughes" <Chris Hughes@discu...

problems with manipulating clipboard
I just want to copy some text to the clipboard. The codes are as follows CString Content="some words!" if(::OpenClipboard(GetSafeHwnd()) ::EmptyClipboard() HGLOBAL GlobalBuffer=::GlobalAlloc(GHND|GMEM_SHARE,Content.GetLength()+1) char *buffer=(char*)GlobalLock(GlobalBuffer) memcpy(buffer,Content,Content.GetLength()+1) GlobalUnlock(GlobalBuffer) ::SetClipboardData(CF_TEXT,GlobalBuffer) ::CloseClipboard() //::GlobalFree(GlobalBuffer) questions 1. Shall I free memory allocated by GlobalAlloc()? If so it doesnot work when i paste the text into a editbox. Is windows responsib...

Mouse Problem
When I click on one cell inside Excel, it thinks that I am still pushing the mouse button. Thus when I move the mouse the cells get highlighted and whatever I do I can't work on my worksheet again, I have to reboot my machine and NOT USE THE MOUSE inside Excel!!! How can I solve this problem? Sincerely, André. Sounds like you have EXTend in play. Look on Excel's status bar; do you see EXT? If so press the F8 key to make it go away Best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Andr´┐Ż Gabriel" <AndrGabriel@discussio...

Pivot Table Subtotal of Calculated Field Problem
I have created a pivot table for the purpose of viewing revenues by sales person, company and project. I am having a problem with the subtotals due to my use of a calcuated field. PLEASE HELP!! Here is the info: Sample Data Sales Person Company Project Sale Price August Order Qty Sam Company 1 Project 1 $100 10 Sam Company 1 Project 2 $300 5 Sam Company 1 Project 3 $250 10 Sam Company 2 Proj...

CRM 4 Email router problem
Hi, When testing an account in email router after creating the Outgoing SMTP connection, it says that the version of my CRM Email router is earlier than CRM Server version... What does it mean? Please advise. ...

problem launching excel #2
I am using MSOFFXP ... I cannot get excel to come up by double clicking on my file....I hav to launch the excel program, click on open find the file and the select it... even if excel is running minimized clicking on a file in the explore will not open that file...the only way for me to open my files is b going through the excel program... my word program works as advertised... any suggestions?? Thanks \\ G -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following: goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try a...

Printing problem with amalgamated cells
Hi, When I print a form I created, some characters are missing in merged written cells. When I uncheck this option it prints correctly. But, it is better when I write in a table's location to have the whole package of cells united. Any ideas to fix that? Thx! Werner -- Werner ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Werner's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24304 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384646 If I can assume that "amalgamated" is your language's w...

Totalling by referring to 2 date ranges #2
I have a spreadsheet that has 2 columns of date ranges. I want to refer to the first column and count how many entries meet a specific date range criteria. If there is no entry in the first column, I want to refer to column 2 to see if the range matches. Can somebody help???? Thanks Try: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100>=D1)*(A1:A100<=E1)+(A1:A100="")* (B1:B100>=D1)*(B1:B100<=E1)) where D1 = start date, E1 = end date. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I have a spreadsheet that has 2 columns of date ranges. >I want to refer to the first column and co...

Volume Problem in User Acct Only
Win XP Pro + SP3 + updates WMP 11.0.5721.5268 1 admin acct, several limited user accts I have a purchased audio CD that produces no volume in a user acct but plays correctly (with volume) in the admin acct. In the user acct I have checked all the volume controls, have run MS's troubleshooter utility, etc. No control that I can find is muted. In this user acct I can hear system alerts. Furthermore, with IE8 I can go to websites and play and hear videos. What can be blocking volume from a purchased audio CD that plays correctly in the admin acct? Isn't ther...

MFC CArchive problem
Hi all, I'm experiencing some problems with using the CArchive class. In a static library (LIB), I have declared and defined class A, and class B, which is derived from A. Both classes are declared serial and implement serialization in the usual way (zero-argument constructor & virtual serialize method). The problem arises in the following situation: an application (statically linking LIB) assumes a certain file contains serialized instances of class A, and deserializes them. It cannot however, deserialize serialized instances of class B. I have found the reason for this to be that ...

Add working days to date...
Hi all, I would like to be able to add a number of working days to a given date to determine the 'due-by' date. Any ideas how I might do this. The formulae would need to accommodate a list of public holidays in the way the NETWORKDAYS function does. Any hideas greatly appreciated. Cheers! jim Look at the WORKDAY() function in help. In article <8d4d01c3ea61$d14b5bd0$a301280a@phx.gbl>, "jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi all, > I would like to be able to add a number of working days to > a given date to determine the 'due-by...

Mixed DLL Loading Problem.
Hi, Forgive me if this has been all hashed out somewhere. I am using Visual Studio 2003. I am using the book "Programming Microsoft DirectShow for Digital Video and Television". I have used Chapter 10 to learn enough to write a DirectShow Transform Filter COM DLL. That part worked OK. Then I wanted to add an IID_ interface. I needed a static variable in the DLL to hold a value that I want to pass in through the IID_ interface. That's when I discovered the linker error caused by MSIL whacko stuff apparently introduced in the first .NET compiler... :-) (LNK4210 &#...

Sorting problem, sums change
I have a spreadsheet with 12 worksheets. It totals fine the way it is, but on several of the worksheets I need to sort them by State, when I do, the totals change. It calls data from one of the other worksheets cells which remains the same. Once I sort one of the worksheets the data pulling from the other worksheets now displays #DIV/0! and my totals are wrong at the bottom. Any suggestions. Just a thought. Copy "Values" to another column, and then sort that column, and perhaps hide the original. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all...

Msimn, INETCOMM.DLL problem
Hi i hope someone can help me with this proble. Every time i try to send out a e-mail with Outlook express i get this "Msimn" fault i am not sure what to do, i tried re-installing outlook and getting the latest version it runs on Windows 98 and this is the message that i get in "details" of the error: MSIMN caused an invalid page fault in module INETCOMM.DLL at 0167:5ec1ee59. Registers: EAX=27c89c8c CS=0167 EIP=5ec1ee59 EFLGS=00010202 EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=0056d83c EBP=0056d8a8 ECX=00000000 DS=016f ESI=00000001 FS=631f EDX=0000000b ES=016f EDI=0056d8dc GS=0000 Bytes ...

Dates Incorrect in Chart
I am creating a simple line chart with dates and values. The dates are of the form 2-Apr-08 (ie custom format) but in the graph they display as 26-Apr-12. Note the data has dates every week but the graph displays these all as 26-xxx-12 (where xxx= one of the months). What is wrong - I am using Excel 2007 Thanks Jim Are the dates in the sheet numeric dates, or text that looks like dates? What's the number format of the axis tick labels? Is it a date axis? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTec...

Appending Date to File Name Syntax Question
Using WinXP and Access2K2 In the following 'on click' event in visual basic a text file is produced and sent to a file folder. The file name is always the same. I'd like to be able to append the current date to the file name ending up with as an example; "ADIF_11032007.adi", or whatever date it happens to be at the time of the report. My code so far: Dim stDocName As String Dim MyDate As String MyDate = Date 'Selects which report to use based on queries for each report If optQSL = 1 Then stDocName = "rptADIF_eQSL" Els...

Weird problem with auto quotes in Word 2003.
I've noticed that in Word 2003, when I close a quotation after a dash, the auto-quote makes it a beginning quotation mark instead of an ending quotation mark. Has anyone else run into this? It did not happen in Word 2000. How can I fix it? -Al- ...

filter on subform looking at Week End date/prob navigate on main f
I have a main form with each employees info - name address cell etc. the subform shows each week End(ie 52 records per year)- what they are scheduled to do for EACH week. When i filter the Subform for a GIVEN week end it would like it to HOLD for when I navigate to the Next employee to see what THEY are scheduled for that given weekend but Now when I navigate on the main form to the next employee it shows ALL week End(52 records) just want to see for now That given weekend?? Don't want to have to refilter for each employee??? do I add a command button not best at code ...

Sort date field by by months not years
I want to sort a date field and have it put in order by months, ignoring the year. Is this possible? Introduce an extra column. If your dates are in A, then B1 is =MONTH(A1) Copy down as far as needed. Now sort both columns, but use B as the sortkey -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "kramsey" <kramsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C118C02-538C-4BB1-BEBD-79A880DE0BB2@microsoft.com... >I want to sort a date field and have it put in order by months, ignoring >the > year. Is this possible? The easiest way is to use and ...

Updating a column only on specific date
I'm realitivly new to excel and this seems like a simple problem but am not figuring it out. I have columns that correspond to days in a month and on the curen date I need to enter the data from a column that holds the month t date data. I dont want that data to change when the column date is les that the current date. this is what I have so far, it works, but gives an error message abou circular referances when I open the workbook. =IF(H$3=$D$2,$G4,H4) H3:AB3 = dates in the month D2 = Today G4:G19 = values that update daily from another workbook H4:AB19 = cell where I want to record ...

Problems sending to one domain
Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003. This really has me confused - it seems no one in our company can send e-mail to a certain domain that we do business with. They send the message thru Outlook, I can see the queue bound for that domain in Exchange System Manager, and it appears to be sent. The queue is in a Ready state with the green circle on it. Message are not backing up and it doesn't go to a Retry state, however the recipients don't ever receive the message. No one ever receives an NDR either. What has me stumped is that I can telnet to port 25 on their server and send an e-mail...

Array problem
Hi In my code, I am storing the data of the worksheet in an array and then trying to paste the array into another worksheet. But the data in of the columns has text for about 600 characters. I am able to paste the array into another worksheet. But the column that has text character does gets cut off after few hundered rows. My data set is as follows Column A Column b Column C Column D Has data Has Numeric has numeric Has text with approx Y/N data ...

Excel Sorting Problem #2
I am trying to sort out my league table in order of points (P) bu everytime i select my cells (H15:P25) and then go data|sort|by (P Descending he screen flickers but they dont sort in order of points They just stay where they where before. Can anyone help ??? i can also send you the workbook if you want ?? Mny Thanks Benn bc1987@ntlworld.co -- cassy0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cassy01's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=78 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31879 Benn, ...