Data within a cell

If names are in cells as "last name, first name, middle initial" can a macro
be run to change the order to "first name, middle initial, last name"?
0
David4882 (672)

A formula will do

Assuming you have spaces between commas and names,
=MID(A2,FIND(",",A2)+2,FIND(",",A2,FIND(",",A2)))&RIGHT(A2,FIND(",",A2,FIND(",",A2)))&", "&LEFT(A2,FIND(",",A2)-1)

Then just copy down. If you want this more permanent, copy the cells with
formulas, right click, paste special.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"David" wrote:

> If names are in cells as "last name, first name, middle initial" can a macro
> be run to change the order to "first name, middle initial, last name"?
0
LukeM (202)
1/6/2009 9:07:01 PM
Hi

No macro is needend.
With the names in column A enter this formula in column B1 and copy
down as needed.

=MID(A1,SEARCH(",",A1;1)+2,100) & ", " & LEFT(A1,SEARCH(",",A1)-1)

Then copy column B, select A1 and goto Paste Special > Select "values"
> Ok, then column B can be deleted.

HTH,

Per

On 6 Jan., 21:43, David <Da...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> If names are in cells as "last name, first name, middle initial" can a macro
> be run to change the order to "first name, middle initial, last name"?

You could always split the cell into 3 columns by going to Data, then text to
columns and adjust that way as well.

"David" wrote:

> If names are in cells as "last name, first name, middle initial" can a macro
> be run to change the order to "first name, middle initial, last name"?
0
PJY (2)

Prevent clicking on a cell

if cell is text move left one column

Separating Date and Time in a cell

Data migration - Adventure Works

Automatic changes in cells

Calculating on alphabetic cell content

Sorting Cells by Colors

How do I create upper/lower case letters in cells?
I have a large spreadsheet with names/addresses that are all capitalized. I want to make them upper and lower case (SMITH = Smith). What's the formula? You could create helper cells with this formula =proper(A1) "boz130" wrote: > I have a large spreadsheet with names/addresses that are all capitalized. I > want to make them upper and lower case (SMITH = Smith). What's the formula? ...

Two calendar dates in one cell..??
I have a Microsoft Publisher calendar document that was created in 2005 that shows the dates Monday - Sunday. When I print it, it will not print out any dates that fall after the fifth week (eg January 2006 it prints up to January 29th but not the 30th or 31st). These are in an "overflow" area. But when I open the calendar part in Word to edit the calendar, it appears normally and that sixth week shows up just fine. I need that sixth week to print OR I need to do the split date feature (I would prefer the split date). How can I set up the numbers in one of those cells so i...

can a cell auto update?
Is it possible to have a cell update to the current date when ever you save a change to a file? =NOW( ) "B.B" <me@mail.com> wrote in message news:%Aw0h.201480$R63.89840@pd7urf1no... > Is it possible to have a cell update to the current date when ever you > save a change to a file? > Just to let everyone know, I think when the subject line of a post is changed, it can mess up the threading in newsgroup readers. I've seen what look like orphaned "Re:" posts as the top post here and there, and I think that's what causes it. -- Earl Ki...

Source data, in Chart Menu, is grey and not accessible.
I set up a pivot table and designed a chart, saved and closed out of the workbook. Upon returning to work on this project, when selecting the chart menu to work with my source data, the source data is grey and not accessible. What might be causing this and can I correct it? It's a pivot chart. As soon as it's created, it's linked permanently to the pivot table, and you cannot change the source data. you cannot add more data that's not in the pivot table to the chart, nor can you remove data that is in the pivot table from the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft...

automatically updating cells in other files
An employee asked me if he had 3 files each containing the same database. Is there anyway in which he can update the data by only keyboarding it into one file and have it automatically update the rest of files? Any help is appreciated. You can link cells by referencing them to a cell in another sheet or workbook. eg =[Book2]Sheet1!$A$1 -- Ian -- "Peter McCaul" <compcoff@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e3TdK25vFHA.3124@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > An employee asked me if he had 3 files each containing the same database. > Is there anyway in which he can update the ...