Counting the number of times a word appears 'anywhere' on a page

I'm trying to clean up a rather large file. The first field of each row
is the name of the row, and if this name does not appear anywhere else
in the file, or in any of three other files, the row can be eliminated.
If it appears 5 times or more, it should be marked as such.

So I'm looking for a way to search for the contents of the first row in
the entire page and three other pages (minus the field containing the
name I'm searching for in the first place) and return the number of
hits. I'm sure there is an easy way to do this, but I haven't managed
to figure it out yet and time is precious in a computer lab.

I'm using Excel 2000 (localised Dutch version).

Thanks for your help!

--
Brother Laz
Brother Laz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35521

you might look in the vba help index for FIND and specifically FINDNEXT.
There is a good example you should be able to modify to suit.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
wrote in message

> I'm trying to clean up a rather large file. The first field of each row
> is the name of the row, and if this name does not appear anywhere else
> in the file, or in any of three other files, the row can be eliminated.
> If it appears 5 times or more, it should be marked as such.
>
> So I'm looking for a way to search for the contents of the first row in
> the entire page and three other pages (minus the field containing the
> name I'm searching for in the first place) and return the number of
> hits. I'm sure there is an easy way to do this, but I haven't managed
> to figure it out yet and time is precious in a computer lab.
>
> I'm using Excel 2000 (localised Dutch version).
>
> Thanks for your help!
>

> --
> Brother Laz
> Brother Laz's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35521
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=552919

0
dguillett1 (2487)

Add Invoice Number to Report
I have created a delivery table that contains all of the usual fields , Pickup, Delivery, Billing, NoPeices, Weight... etc. The table is updated with current delivery information daily. At the end of the week I create a report grouped on Billing customer that prints an invoice with all of the unprinted deliveries the customer is paying for... the report works fine. What I need to figure out is how to assign a unique invoice number (autonumber) to the report that will be associated with each Billing customer for that print period. Can I somehow generate a unique number at the time I ...

Add SafePay footer record for date and account number
Union Bank of California has a Positive Pay format that requests a footer record for each day and account number. So if you transmit checks issued on two dates for a single account, the SafePay file would have two footer records--one for each date. Currently, I am only able to create a footer by account, totalling all checks issued for that account (regardless of date), and attributing that total to the Issue Date in the footer record. Union Bank reads the issue date on the footer, and sees that the checks issued on that date do not match the footer total, causing them to consider th...

How do I have Column Headers Repeat Autmoatically on Every Page?
I just want to know how to have header automatically repeat on every page, without having to insert row, copy and paste.... Hi file - Pagesetup - Sheets and define the repeating rows "kristiatscaor" wrote: > I just want to know how to have header automatically repeat on every page, > without having to insert row, copy and paste.... ...

assign numeric value to letters and sum with other numbers
I apologize if I am duplicating an earlier question, but I can't find the answer. How do I sum a row or column that has numbers and letters by giving the letters a numerical equivalent? -- WJG On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:19:01 -0800, Galadad <Galadad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I apologize if I am duplicating an earlier question, but I can't find the >answer. How do I sum a row or column that has numbers and letters by giving >the letters a numerical equivalent? Could you give an example of input and expected output. Lars-�ke Just guessing...

excel margin issues on landscape
When I print a spreadsheet I cant get it to print to the full page - it prints smaller unlike older excel program. Also when i set the margins for a spreadsheet the left hand margin wont move over to the edge of page like right hand side? In Page Setup: If you are using the Scaling option to print to a certain number of pages wide by pages tall and/or you are using the columns to repeat at left, try: - clearing the number of pages tall value (so that it is blank), and/or - if you are printing to one page wide, remove the columns to repeat at left Simon "Peter MB" wrote: >...

Counting occurences with multiple entries
Hi, I have a spreadsheet with a large volume of data. I want to count how many times the equipment id (column A) comes up with a specific fault (Column B)i.e Fail. There could be numerous entires for the same piece of equipment with different types of faults. I've tried count, countif etc... but cant get the formula to lookup the value and count up the occurences properly. Can anyone help? Thanks. Try =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="equipment id"),--(B1:B100="Fail")) With equipment id in cell C1 =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100=C1),--(B1:B100="Fail...

Converting Numerical values to Words
I am fairly new to the ins and outs of Microsoft Access 2003 but have been able to work through all of my problems thus far except one. I started using check boxes for storing user inputed data from a form. When the box is checked I have made it equal a value ranging from 1 to 6 according to the desired group. This stores the number in a table which I then reference many times in queries as well as reports. Here is my question, how do I convert from those stored numbers, taken from the check boxes, to words that can be easily outputted to a report so that anyone can read it without ...

Progress bar doesn't appear when saving
The progress bar doesn't display when saving a large document - even though we have the Status Bar on. We are using 2003 SP2 with the Adobe & LiveMeeting integrations. Even with disabling the integrations and removing macros, we cannot seem to get the progress bar back. any ideas? My support guy says to uninstall/reinstall Office to fix this, but with 67 users, I would rather not. khw ---------------------------------------- Hello? khw ---------------------------------------- "khw" wrote: > The progress bar doesn't display when saving a large document -...

Add phone number to quote report.
Hey guys, My retail staff asked me if it is possible to add the customer phone number to the Quote summary or Quote detailed report. Does anyone know what changes need to be made to the report to make this happen. I know I will have to change the query and add a join statement to get it from the customer record but am unable to figure out how to do it. Any ideas? Thanks, Nevermind, I figured it out myself. Thanks anyway. <nick@realkiteboarding.com> wrote in message news:BhKXd.15130$GO5.11570@fe07.lga... > Hey guys, > > My retail staff asked me if it is possible to a...

Creat a time book
I'm building a semi automated time book in Access. what i want is to be able to give access a two week period prefferably by specifying the beginning and end dates and have access add an entry to a table i'm going to call the 'Time Book' for each person in a personnell table for each day. the best i have been able to come up with is to pack a Macro with 14 queries, each adds one more day to a specified starting point. one of the problems i'm running into is that some of the shifts run over night and Access doesn't calculate the shift end correctly. I wo...

How do I keep a picture background from tiling on the page?
How do I keep a picture from tiling when using it as a page background? Instead of using the "background" feature, insert it as a watermark or (which amounts to the same thing) anchor it to the header and set the wrapping to Behind Text (see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm). -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Lori" <Lori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E66539CA-E51A-400F-BF62-CF777A014C66@microsoft.com... > How do I keep a picture from ...

Word problems 2003 and 2007 version
hey everyone both on my main computer and my brothers laptop word isnt working! its so annoying! on my desktop PC i have windows xp and word 2003. after getting a virus which stopped the internet from working i had to do a system restore - which got rid of the virus. but when i click on word it says that "this shortcut only applies to installed products", and when i go to word through program files it says "this product is not installed on this user" - but there is no setup thing i can press - will i need the disc maybe? on my bro's laptop he got the sa...

Category totals over time...
Good morning... Is there a way within Money 2007 to graph the income or expense in a given category over time? For example, I might want to graph the monthly sums of my Dining Out expense over the past few years. -Ed In microsoft.public.money, Ed Markovich wrote: > >Is there a way within Money 2007 to graph the income or expense in a >given category over time? > >For example, I might want to graph the monthly sums of my Dining Out >expense over the past few years. You could start with the Income and Spending Over Time report. Customize to select just the category you w...

Output space available / Storage Space Allocation on home page
i - I only have access to WSS3 not MOSS but would like to output the available space on the site on the home page. I get this from the Storage Space Allocation under the Site Collection Administration as I have Administrator rights but can't find a way to output the field or amend permissions so that other users can see this information without giving them fulll admin rights. Just to repeat I don't have access to MOSS as the site is hosted elsewhere. Thanks for any help, Sheila ...

how do I delete documents from the start list in word and excel?
how do I delete documents from the start list in word and excel? You can not clear it whenever you want. You can however set the no of file names to be displayed to 0 which clears the list... In Excel 2003 Tool->Options->General Enter 0 against 'Recently Used File List' of clear the check box. Click 'OK' Word has a similar option. For 2007 versions or if you want to play with Registry Settings (not advised unless you understand it well) see http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/01/13/how-to-clear-and-delete-recent-documents-list-in-office-2007-word-excel-p...

Number Format Problem Prevents Proper Sorting
I have a long list of numbers that were exported from anothe application that I can't seem to format properly to sort in ascendin order. I have changed the format from General to Number and back wit no success. I'm sure that this is an easy fix, but I'm not seeing th answer. The third entry below (1103) should be toward the top of th list. Any ideas? 110272 110277 1103 110329 110338 11033 -- 65Stan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 65Stang's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1500 View this threa...

Content Boxes not appearing on list forms (newform.aspx)
Morning, FYI: I have posted this question on the sharepoint msdn forums and got directed to the SBS newsgroup, I asked this same question there and have been directed to here, i would be very greatfull if someone could please help. I have many workstations (95% now) now not displaying text boxes/content boxes within sharepoint (2003 SBS version). Any other site will display forms but not sharepoint. This does not seem to effect all machines and seems to have nothing to do with permissions as i have tried with all types of users. I have tried changing all the security settin...

how can i start using excel for the first time?
i cant figure out how to get excel to work for me and im a first time user of it? i Cant get nothing to work on it? can anyone please help me here Paul Can you get Excel to start up? Can you get a blank workbook to open via File>New? For basics on Excel see.......... http://www.usd.edu/trio/tut/excel/index.html http://www.baycongroup.com/el0.htm Microsoft Training Courses. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/CR061831141033.aspx Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:39:02 -0800, "Paul Scheffer" <Paul Scheffer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i ...

Pub 2003 V11 How do I make A6 booklet pages in sequence A4 print
I wish to make up a booklet of an A6 size and have pages in sequence when developing booklet. Then sent to printer so that pages are printed back to back and when pages are removed and sequenced and folded, it makes a A6 booklet. File, page setup, booklet, portrait, type 10.5cm width, 14.8 height. This will create two small A6 booklets. You will have to cut the booklets apart. If you plan to use A6 paper, you will need to setup your printer first for the correct custom size. Publisher will keep the pages in sequence. -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "About...

CRM 4.0 - Word 2007 - mail merge
OK, so I've read a number of blogs detailing the mail merge process. Open in Word, save as XML, import to CRM, edit and add the mail merge fields. Simple, right? My organization has about a dozen mail merge templates which worked very well in CRM 3.0. I was fully aware I would probably have better luck just re-creating them in CRM 4.0. No biggie. I've done so and mail merge in CRM 4.0 is ... shall we say less than stellar. Mail merge on the Contact entity does not work at all. For any user. Mail merge on the Account and Opp entities works sporadically. Literally from one user to th...

No menu bars appear on newly installed Outlook 2003 (PST file)
I just built up a new system (Windows XP SP2, Office 2003 Pro) and move my Outlook.pst file over from my old system. Since I had Norton Internet Security 2005 installed, the anti-spam toolbar was displayed. However, after only a few hours of usage, the menu bars are not working properly: 1. When I start up Outlook and mail is displayed, there are no menu bars displayed. None. 2. If I go to the lower left corner navigation bar and select mail and Open in New Window, the standard and formatting menu bars are displayed. But the Norton Anti-Spam bar does not display. 3. When I open an indiv...

Counting Blank Cells in Pivot Table
How do I have a Pivot Table count the blank cells as well as the other cells? The Pivot table I created counts everything that had data (A, B, C, D, etc...) but does not count the blank cells. Thank you, Jack As answered in microsoft.public.excel.charting: To count the blanks you could use a space character, or the formula ="", in the source data, instead of leaving the cells blank. The pivot table will be able to count those. Jack wrote: > How do I have a Pivot Table count the blank cells as well > as the other cells? The Pivot table I created counts > everythi...

Word 2007 Unrestricted Access?
I have a file that a customer sent. Under Protect Document > Unrestricted Access is checked. Another person in the office has made changes with the Track Changes on. They were able to save the file, but we cannpt accept the changes because we get a message that says the document is protected. What exactly does "Unrestricted Access" mean? How do we accept changes? Thanks for any assistance you can give me. -- marcia "Unrestricted Access" means anyone can read and change the document, so you or the other employee should be able to accept or reject track...

Formatting Phone Numbers
Consider this example: A1 -> 3365551111 A2 -> 336-555-2222 A3 -> (336) 555-3333 I want to be able to scan through column A and change all numbers to be in the format of A1 which is just straight numbers...no punctuation. How would I do that? -- Tha BeatMaker ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tha BeatMaker's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23998 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=383980 Easiest would be to use a macro. Sub RemoveAlphas() ''...

Spell check box hides behind my outlook page & have to toggle
Often if I send a document the spellcheck will hide behind my outlook. Outlook is locked until the spell error is actioned in spellcheck so I cant minimise outlook to reveal the spellcheck box. I have to toggle between desktop and outlook to eventually reveal to carry on. How do I get spell check to always appear on top? Which version of Outlook are you using? Which version of Windows are you using? Can you repro this issue in Outlook Safe Mode? Start-> Run; outlook.exe /safe (note the space in the command) If it works now, your issue is most likely caused by an add-in....