Counting rows of blanks across certain columns

I have a survey whose answers were recorded in Excel. The answers for a
particular question extend from Q6 to Z505.  I need to count the people who
did not answer the question (that is, the people, entered in rows 6 to 505
that left columns Q through Z blank). I'm not sure how to do this. Can
someone offer a suggestion?

Hi

You can use a formula like this in Column AA
=IF(COUNTA(Q6:Z6)=0,1,"")
copy down till AA505

You can use a simple Sum formula now to count the empty ones
=SUM(AA6:AA505)

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"crossingboston" <crossingboston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a survey whose answers were recorded in Excel. The answers for a
> particular question extend from Q6 to Z505.  I need to count the people who
> did not answer the question (that is, the people, entered in rows 6 to 505
> that left columns Q through Z blank). I'm not sure how to do this. Can
> someone offer a suggestion?

0
rondebruin (3790)

how to I block text not to break across columns or pages ?
I want to keep certain text together and not have it split apart over columns or on a new page: like several lines comprising an address in an address book -- I want to keep it all together. Either apply a style with the Keep With Next paragraph format option to all but the last of the paragraphs you wish to keep together or Use Shift+Enter to make a line break within the same paragraph -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MV...

update the same cell into another column forming a list on opening
hi there, i have made a spreadsheet to enter data and then view the resulting statistics that are generated, i have one cell that changes in value after entering the data, and i would like to keep a record of what values this cell has been, i was after a formula that would update that single cell's value into a column forming a list each time the spreadsheet was opened or the value in the cell changed, like a field perhaps, this would fill up the column with a list of results from which to generate more stats and a graph etc. any help would be great, thank you -- thank...

How do I add column A data labels to a scatter of columns B and C?
I have made a scatter plot using columns B and C as my x and y coordinates. I would like to use the data in column A to label my points. I already have the XY chart labeler 97 installed and selected, but I don't know how to get the data labels to show up on my graph. Thank you! Hi Christina - There are a couple of well written Excel add-ins you can download to do this: Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com Both are free downloads, they install easily, and they integrate into Excel's interface very nicely. They l...

Surpressing plot of blank cells
I'm creating a line chart plot using Excel 2007. The data range for plot lines contains some blank cells. These blank cells get plotted as zero points. How do I change this behavior to plot only points that have values and to leave the blank cells unplotted? I appreciate your help, -John Hi, If they are truly blank then check the plot empty cells setting via. Select Data > Hidden and Empty cells. If the Cells in fact contain formula then use NA() instead of "". This will suppress the data marker but will not break the line. Alternatively use Autofilter to hide un...

Pivot chart and Total row
Hi All I have a Pivot table and attached Pivot chart (all good so far). However, there are three columns (drop column details here) which are the two columns of data and a grand total column (showing the average of my two data columns) When I turn it into a pivot chart it does not display the grand total column as well (is there a way to do this). I have tried to go into the chart options but these are locked. I can copy and paste the results but this is a bit clumsy. Any suggestions - any help greatly appreciated Kind regards Rexmann PS using excel 2003 ...

Append Query every day at certain time automatically
Hi, So i have a query qryStats. Basicaly i want to be able to see how the stats have changed over a period so i was thinking of turning that simple query into an Append Query so that it just add the results to a table tblStats. I tested it and it works great so i can design reports and the result is exactly what i want. Problem is im going to forget to run the query each day. What are my options? Can i write code of some kind that runs the append query each day at, lets say 16:00? YES but your db would need to be running in order for that to work. You could also create...

Fixed Number of Columns
After manipulating data in Excel I would like to copy and paste the data in a text editor. The data should be in fixed format, for example integer numbers should end in columns with multiples of 5. The text is then used as input to an old fashioned program which requires that the data be aligned I changed the font in Excel to Courrier New and then selected a column width of 5. When I copy the data to a text editor it copies some tab marks and the columns do not align. How can I make things align in the text editor? Vino, You can use a macro: copy the code below, then paste into a module...

Locking a column. Excel, 2002.
I don't know if locking is the correct phraseology and perhaps that is why I can't find an answer. In column A are the numbers, 1, 2, 3, and so on and I want these numbers to remain stationary (they are the rank ordering) when I do a sort on another column (say H). -- Regards Ron Badour Select the range that you want to sort, but avoid column A. Then sort your data. If you let excel guess at the range, it'll think that you may want all the contiguous columns sorted. Personally, I would sort that column, too. But I'd fill it with a formula like: =row()-1 (headers...

Count unique names in a list
hi How do I count a list of names, some names appear more than once. I only want to count unique names. I use excel 2007 Thanks Cassie One way... =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A20<>"")/COUNTIF(A2:A20,A2:A20&"")) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Cassie" <Cassie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B610A13C-FAF8-46EF-A63C-AAE88EEFB89F@microsoft.com... > hi > How do I count a list of names, some names appear more than once. I only > want to count unique names. > I use excel 2007 > Thanks > Cassie For ...

How to copy rows from Excel without losing the row height format
In Excel 2003. I have a section of a spreadsheet that contains a 25 rows that each have different row height. I want to copy these to a section below, but lose the row height formatting. How do I copy without losing the row height format? Are you copying the entire row? Also, don't forget the format painter and the right-click paste special options. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "artex boy" <artex boy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DA6D00F-8957-4569-94C5-EDB2AE6F683D@microsoft.com... > In Excel 2003. I have a section of a sp...

How does one print the columns from a Visio ERD diagram?
I see them but can't print them. ...

Excel 2000... Missing row and column designators.
Ho do you mean 'Tools - Options - View' and check 'Row/Column headings' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Clarence" <carowe@cnyconnect.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:2ee7401c46c21$a45aef40$a501280a@phx.gbl... > ...

stop opening a blank workbook at start up
how do I stop excel from opening a new workbook everytime I start up the application. Ad a shortcut to the Excel.Exe file and append the properties of the shortcut with /e Shotcut will look like this: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e "km" <km@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E495132-B698-40B7-B964-D2982513D93A@microsoft.com... > how do I stop excel from opening a new workbook everytime I start up the > application. ...

Why are my columns and rows reversed when I open Excel
When I open my Excel spreadsheet the columns, rows and scroll bars are reversed?? What's happened? Tools|options|International Tab Uncheck that "view current sheet right-to-left" Deb Web wrote: > > When I open my Excel spreadsheet the columns, rows and scroll bars are > reversed?? What's happened? -- Dave Peterson ...

Merging queries by column in access
Hi, I have a series of queries which get data aggregated by year, e.g. select year(date), min(var1), avg(var1), max(var1) from table where (ridiculously complicated set of conditions) group by year(date) select year(date), min(var2), avg(var2), max(var2) from table where (entirely different ridiculously complicated set of conditions) group by year(date) etc etc There are six queries like this so what I want is to amalgamate these columns together into one results table (and also into one query so users can just run one stored query rather than six!) as follows: year, m...

A If then running count
I am trying and just cannot get it. I am trying to get a formula that does this: If have cell n3 at numbers up to 9 then cell v3 I want to read "1" If have cell n3 at numbers up to 14.9 then cell v3 I want to read "2" If have cell n3 at numbers up to 19.9 then cell v3 I want to read "3" If have cell n3 at numbers up to 24.9 then cell v3 I want to read "4" and so on. My attempt is to make the numbers increase by 1 when counting by 5. can anyone help me on this. How about this? =IF(A1<=9,1,ROUNDDOWN(A1/5,0)) ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArtic...

Print notes on purchase order blank report
How can I print the notes from purchase order header on the purchase order blank report? thank you in advance. You can modify the PO in Report Writer. Link the Records Notes Master to the Purchase Order HEader table and include the notes table in the report. Then the notes text field will be available to be displayed in the report. Regards Sivakumar V On Nov 17, 6:38 am, "Jack Tundra" <jacktun...@hotmail.com> wrote: > How can I print the notes from purchase order header on the purchase order > blank report? thank you in advance. Hi I am sorry but I cannot find th...

Is there any way to use the MATCH function with more than 1 column
For example, =MATCH(215, Y3:Y51, 0) will search from Y3 to Y51 for the value 215, but my data set spans more than one column. My data set ranges from A3 to Z51, and the function =MATCH(215, A3:Z51, 0) returns an #N/A error. What can I do? Do you want both the row and column ? Two separate values? -- Gary's Student "Mr. Snrub" wrote: > For example, =MATCH(215, Y3:Y51, 0) will search from Y3 to Y51 for the value > 215, but my data set spans more than one column. > > My data set ranges from A3 to Z51, and the function =MATCH(215, A3:Z51, 0) > returns an #...

Columns in Money 2004
Is there any way to change the default columns in the register view ? I really dont want the flagged column, and would like to include a column for categories. Is it possible to do this ? In microsoft.public.money, VerticalCobra wrote: >Is there any way to change the default columns in the register view ? I >really dont want the flagged column, and would like to include a column for >categories. Is it possible to do this ? No. Try Ctrl+T to toggle to multi-line display and back. ...

Macro to find a row and delete it and the 9 rows above it. #2
Thanks alot that did the trick. This forum and you guys are life saver -- Rusty_n ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Rusty_nl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=671 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31376 ...

Retrieving the Top 10 of the Average of Two columns, but displaying a third
I'm new to Excel programing, so please bear with me. I have an excel spreadsheet with 3 columns. Column1 Column2 Column3 -------------------------------------- John Doe 5 3 Jane Smith 2 9 Bill Smith 4 2 What I need to do is take the average of Column 2 and 3, find the highest average of the entire list and display Column 1 as the final result. In other words: I need to create a Top 5 List of the people with the highest grade average. I don't care much for displaying the grade, I just need the top 5...

STDEV down, but not across, two cols??
I don't understand Standard Deviation very well - I was just told to use this function. Up 'til now, I've only had one column of numbers. Now I have two columns of five data points each. Each set across is one pair (two measurements of the same item). I don't think they want the STDEV between the paired points included in the calculations, only between the individual pairs. So how do I reduce this to only five data points and still get a valid STDEV? Or have I asked an irrational question because I don't know STDEV? ED standard deviation is the parameter for the ...

"Save as" dialog hanging on certain network folder
I am trying to troubleshoot a very small business network. There is a folder shared from a Windows XP Pro machine, and when initiating a save as dialog to this location, many office applications will hang when it appears to be loading the contents of the folder. I have tested Excel and Word, versions 2000 and 2003. Navigating to the folder in explorer works just fine. I thought rebooting would help, but the issue appears to effect the machine even after a fresh boot. Some machines on our network behave correctly. Others will hang for a short while but eventually load the conte...

how do i "de-dupe?" rows by a column value?
I have a complex operation to perform. My spreadsheet has rows that indicate items (control number in column A) linked to titles (control number in column B). A title can have multiple items in the spredsheet. I want to number the titles and assign random numbers to them so that I can get two random samples. I also want to have my random numbering retained in the spreadsheet as a whole, so I can see all the items assigned to my samples. How can I "dedupe" column B, assign a random number to each title control, then transfer that data to my "undeduped" spreadshe...

How to use count with multiple conditions
I have a table in Excel: The first row is time in years. The second row is method name,say,"A","B","C". I want to count the number when the time is less than 5 years AND "A" method is adopted. I tried this: count(if(AND(C2:Z2<5,C3:Z3="A"),C2:Z2) but it didn't work. Any suggestion on how to revise the formula? Thanks! In the mean time, count(if(C2:Z2<5,C2:Z2))worked as well as countif(C2:Z2,"<5") Ming =SUMPRODUCT(--(C2:Z2<5),--(C3:Z3="A")) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing...