Counting number of X's in a column

I need to sum up the number of "Xs" in a column. I would be extremely
grateful if someone could help me with the formula. I cannot seem to get one
to work. We are using Excel 2003.

Thank you.
--
Susie Harris
Operations Manager

=COUNTIF(A:A,"X")

--

HTH

RP

"Susie Harris" <SusieHarris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need to sum up the number of "Xs" in a column. I would be extremely
> grateful if someone could help me with the formula. I cannot seem to get
one
> to work. We are using Excel 2003.
>
> Thank you.
> --
> Susie Harris
> Operations Manager
> Environmental Education Association of Washington

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
11/24/2005 1:11:33 AM
Bob,
Ohmigosh!!!! That is just too simple. Thank you so much. I was waaayyy too
stuck on an if statement.
--

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> =COUNTIF(A:A,"X")
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> RP
>

> "Susie Harris" <SusieHarris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I need to sum up the number of "Xs" in a column. I would be extremely
> > grateful if someone could help me with the formula. I cannot seem to get
> one
> > to work. We are using Excel 2003.
> >
> > Thank you.
> > --
> > Susie Harris
> > Operations Manager
> > Environmental Education Association of Washington

unhide rows adn columns
how can i unhide rows and columns. this doenst work: Rows("1:2000").EntireRow.AutoFit Columns("F:H").EntireColumn.AutoFit thanks in advance Try Rows("1:2000").Hidden=False Columns("F:H").Hidden=False -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:885601c47859$abec2960$a401280a@phx.gbl... > how can i unhide rows and columns. this doenst work: > Rows("1:2000").EntireRow.AutoFit > Columns("F:H").Entire...

force Excel to treat numbers as text
Sorry I searched this and no one seems to have a solution. I trie pre-defiming columns as text but it gets over-riden by the paste. Past Special doesn't do the trick.. paste special as text on tabular data coming from a web site puts mos of the data in the first column. It no longer spreads the columns o pasted data into its own excel columns the tabular data, tab delimited, I want to 'copy&paste' looks lik this: 1) OGRODOWICZ MARK M47 6306 BROOKLYN NY 533 446 41 24:00 23:25 7:3 20:58 2) CHAO DUSTIN M35 3738 NEW YORK NY 534 447 155 24:02 23:47 7:40 23:1 The paste should...

How can I refer to an entire column?
This is probably a really simple thing to do, but I can't figure it out and can't find it in the help anywhere. I have a worksheet that has rows of data. I periodically enter more rows as time goes on. I'd like to be able to write a formula that summarizes data from a certain column. The formula is easy to figure out, but I can't figure out how to refer to the entire column, and not just a range of cells in the column. For instance, I can say "=SUM(B3:B10)", but when I add data to row 11, my formula will need to be updated. I could just pick a really high numb...

Crosstab Query: Column Heading problem w/ Dates
running access 2k; don't know why Xtab queries seem to be SO hard to understand.... BUT... I have a REALLY simple table: contact_ID call_date 1 5/1/07 1 5/10/07 1 5/15/07 2 5/3/07 2 5/5/07 3 5/16/07 all I want is a query that produces: contact_ID 1st_call_date 2nd_call_date date3 (etc...) clearly, I need a datediff formula to create the date 1, 2 3 etc... But I can NOT get the 1st date from 1 person, to line up in the same column as the 1st date from another...

Pivot tables and dynamic columns
I am using pivot tables and pivot reports to analyze survey data imported from our customer survey program into Excel. This works well but the problem is we periodically add new questions to the survey, which then causes the columns to shift and messes up our pivot tables. What�s the best way to deal with the shifting columns, so that we do not have to redo the pivot tables every time we make a change to our survey? Is there a way to base the pivot table data range on the column header name, rather than Excel�s column letter? Thanks. -- excelboy ---------------------------------------...

Re: Find last cell in a column, Delete its contents and make it ac
Sub uselastcellinL() Application.Goto Cells(Rows.Count, "L").End(xlUp) ActiveCell.ClearContents End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Don Guillett" <dguillett1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:... > Sub deletelastcellinL() > Cells(Rows.Count, "L").End(xlUp).Delete shift:=xlUp > End Sub > > -- > Don Guillett > Microsoft MVP Excel > SalesAid Software > dguillett@gmail.com > "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:D...

Open XLS file without it's number format using VBA?
An XLS file has been saved with it's numbers formatted to a specified number of decimal places. Using VBA how do you read in that XLS file with the numbers unformatted and with the original number of decimal places? Workbooks.Open (filename:="myFileName.xls", ????) Not sure what you mean by "read in". The values are still in the cells. If you open the workbook, then transfer the cell values from the worksheet to VBA, you'll get the entire number, not the version that is rounded for viewing purposes. On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:55:55 GMT, Dennis@NoSpam.com wrote: >...

text not wrapping in column
I have an Excel spread sheet with columns of wrapped text. At a certain point, the text stops wrapping. If I try to shrink to fit, the text disappears. Any ideas? ...

count cell with background color 36
First I want to count the number of cells in a range that have text in them. Then I want to count how many of these cells have the back ground color 36 Oldjay This will achieve what you want for a continuous range, Column A in this example. Change the variables to suit. Take care Marcus Option Explicit Sub MyCount() Dim lw As Integer Dim counter As Integer Dim MyConstant As Integer Dim i As Integer lw = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row counter = 0 MyConstant = Range("A2" & lw).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).Count MsgBox "The...

outlook windows X P
Some E-mail dos this " Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC=20 Drivers error '80040e09'=20 [MERANT][ODBC Sybase ASE driver][SQL Server]Incorrect=20 syntax near '=F4'.=20 /commun.asp, line 51=20 Please Help ! ...

Primary Key names. (with random ?? numbers in them).
Dear reader, For primairy key names I was (and still am) used to names like : 1. PK_<table_name> Now I have a database which has primairy keys with double underscores and names like : 2. PK__<table_name>__<number> There are two underscores and a large number. When scripting (database or table): The name from 1 appears in the script. The name from 2 does not appear in the script and a similar name with a different number is generated when the script is executed. My problem, if I do not have control over the names of objects, it becomes difficult to ma...

Numbered tickets with tear-off
Using Pub 2002, is there a way to create a merge and print tickets (3-up) with numbers on the main part of the ticket and the same number on a tear-off portion to use for prizes? Hi GG (nospam@nospam.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Using Pub 2002, is there a way to create a merge and print tickets || (3-up) with numbers on the main part of the ticket and the same || number on a tear-off portion to use for prizes? http://www.mvps.org/publisher/numbering6.html See if the above link helps. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http...

Workbook page numbering
How do you get consecutive page numbers in a workbook with multiple worksheets? Group select them, then print: Click on the leftmost sheet and shift-click on the rightmost. In article <085101c3779f$ad811850$3101280a@phx.gbl>, "Terri" <tsavage@worleyassociates.com> wrote: > How do you get consecutive page numbers in a workbook with > multiple worksheets? Forgot to mention: Make sure you ungroup the sheets once your printing is done - any changes in a grouped sheet is made to all of the group. In article <jemcgimpsey-2D8D31.08470810092003@msnews.microso...

number format in excel
I have an issue with excel 2003 running on one of my laptop. The integer number i input in every cell will be divided by 1000, for example when I input 123 the cell will show 0.123, however if I input 123.00 it will show just as 123. Also if I copy the excel file to other computers everything looks ok. There is no cell format defined. It looks like an global setting in excel because either old excel file or new created excel file all have the same issue. Anyone can help? From the Menu Bar: <Tools> <Options> <Edit> tab, and *uncheck* "Fixed Decimal Places"...

How can I change positive numbers to negative, i.e. change 50 to -
I have a very long list of positive numbers that I have converted from a wordpad report. Actually it is our list of receivables. They have been converted from text, and therefore the ones that should be credits, or negative numbers (in context of receivables) appear as just plain positive numbers, such as 150.00. I don't know of a simpler way to turn these numbers to negative (i.e. -150.00) without F2'ing each one and putting a minus (-) sign in front of each one. It would save me so much time just to be able to change these numbers from positive to negative! If you could ...

Active X and Data Grid
I am trying to access a SQL database and get a list for the user to select from to be used in additional queries. I have created an ActiveX Data Object and a Data Grid Object, and I am trying to figure out how to link the two. In visual basic, in the properties, there is a line called datasource that links the two that isn't present in VBA. Any help would be appreciated. "Richard Mogy" wrote ... > I am trying to access a SQL database and get a list for the user to select > from to be used in additional queries. > > I have created an ActiveX Data Object and a D...

Journal Entry Number collision using EConnect auto-numbered docs
We encountered a recent EConnect exception that is of concern. We have an interface that uses the .NET libraries to publish a single journal entry (with several hundred distribution lines). The interface has been in production for several months. In a recent run of the interface, we received an error messaging indicating the entry didn’t balance, when in fact its entries did balance. Further investigation revealed the distribution lines (originating from EConnect) merged with another GL journal entry that was created by the system from the posting of a receiving batch in the...

search telephone numbers in outlook 2007
I have posted this question before but no one seems to know the answer. I cant believe nobody has a solution. Previous post = I cant seem to search for telephone numbers which have been typed into an appointment. Particularly once they have been altered into a hyperlink ie when you type tel:0111122223 followed by either a space or return in an appointment the number turns blue and underlined and gets altered to a hyperlink. But the numbers become invisible in search - even using the advanced search criteria? Can telephone numbers / hyperlinks be searched? you could search for tel ...

Inserting blank rows where numbers break sequence
How would I change a 2 column list to add the missing numbers left out of sequence? is: abc 17 def 18 ghi 20 jkl 22 etc. should be: abc 17 def 18 19 ghi 20 21 jkl 22 Thanks. ...

pop3 and x-header
when I'm using a pop3 client, the x-headers are not sent down to the client from exchange. is there any way the x-headers can be sent down to POP3 clients? TIA, ...

Office V.X update
I downloaded and installed a office v.x security update today and now I can't open any office programs without providing a CD key. There was no warning about needing a CD key to install an update. Problem is....I don't have one. Is there any way to find the CD key on the computer? Please help if you can.....I use office daily and now I have a major problem on my hands... :( Thanks! In article <1139362727.012355.289690@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, rainlya@gmail.com wrote: > I downloaded and installed a office v.x security update today and now I > can't open any ...

How can I get the selected item number from a combo box?
How can I get the selected item number from a combo box. Say that combo has only two items: (Madam;Mister). If "Madam" is selected, I would like to get item number of Madam < it is zero in this example. Thank you You refer to the value via the name of the control. If it is multi-column, you append .column(number) to the name where number is 0 for the first column. -Dorian "mezzanine1974" wrote: > How can I get the selected item number from a combo box. Say that > combo has only two items: (Madam;Mister). > If "Madam" is selected, I would like to g...

Scatter with text on X
I am trying to construct one scatterplot for 2 groups of data A & B. would like to have A and B as two points on the X-axis and the (Y data values which pertain to A and B plotted as dots above them in vertical line. I have tried many different things and HELP to try to do this an no-one at work knows either. I am obviously missing out on somethin simple but important. Expert experience would be greatly appreciated! Donal ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.c...

Subtotal data excluding negitive numbers.
I have a spreadsheet contains lots information, each one linked to some other spreadsheet. In column =93A=94 some numbers are positive and some are negative. What I want to do is to subtotal(9,A3:A100) to show the total numbers when I filter something out. While I don=92t want these negative numbers to be calculated. I knew if I add a new column can resolve this problem, but if I the spreadsheet does not allow me to do that change, how can I put kind of formula in one single cell to show the subtotal result without adding the negative numbers? I have tried sumproduct but result only ...

Simple x-axis question
I have an xy scatter plot with the x-axis numbers as percentage. How ca I remove the percentage sign next to each number in the x-axis since th sign is already defined in the axis title? I tried to change the format of the number, I selected general an multiplied the coulmn by 100 but it did not work.... Can you pleas help???! Thanks in advance... -- balmali ----------------------------------------------------------------------- balmalik's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3651 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56...