Counting number of X's in a column

I need to sum up the number of "Xs" in a column. I would be extremely
grateful if someone could help me with the formula. I cannot seem to get one
to work. We are using Excel 2003.

Thank you.
--
Susie Harris
Operations Manager

=COUNTIF(A:A,"X")

--

HTH

RP

"Susie Harris" <SusieHarris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need to sum up the number of "Xs" in a column. I would be extremely
> grateful if someone could help me with the formula. I cannot seem to get
one
> to work. We are using Excel 2003.
>
> Thank you.
> --
> Susie Harris
> Operations Manager
> Environmental Education Association of Washington

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
11/24/2005 1:11:33 AM
Bob,
Ohmigosh!!!! That is just too simple. Thank you so much. I was waaayyy too
stuck on an if statement.
--

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> =COUNTIF(A:A,"X")
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> RP
>

> "Susie Harris" <SusieHarris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I need to sum up the number of "Xs" in a column. I would be extremely
> > grateful if someone could help me with the formula. I cannot seem to get
> one
> > to work. We are using Excel 2003.
> >
> > Thank you.
> > --
> > Susie Harris
> > Operations Manager
> > Environmental Education Association of Washington

How do I get columns in Office XP?
My Publisher Help pane is showing blank on creating columns. I cannot find any menu item on creating columns as we did in 2000. Insert a text box and right click on the box. Choose Format Text Box and then click on the Text Box tab. Set up the box to your needs. There is also a Columns button on the Standard tool bar. "annitaf" <annitaf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD4CA13B-31B1-4ADF-B7E4-0829D0D9E3EC@microsoft.com... > My Publisher Help pane is showing blank on creating columns. I cannot > find > any menu item on creating columns as we di...

How to count cells that are highlighted by conditional formatting
How do I return a count of how many cells in a range are highlighted (via conditional formatting) without using VBA in Excel 2007? What conditions are used to set the CF in those cells? You need to construct a formula which incorporates those conditions - this might be a simple SUMIF if the condition is simple (eg cell greater than 10), but may need to be more complex than this. Post back with further details if you need more help. Hope this helps. Pete On Feb 10, 3:11=A0pm, jngbutler35 <jngbutle...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I return a count of how ...

Count No fo Months
DearAll Is any body help me to calculate No of Months in at table of a specific Person For Example Column A Column B Column C Employee Name Sales Month A 25 1 B 15 1 A 15 2 A 35 3 B 10 2 In Above Columne I have to calculate No ...

Company numbers generated automatic from MS CRM
Have anybody an idea how I can make that every company gets automatic an Companynumber from MS-CRM? Thank you for your help! Alwin Assuming you have the technical knowledge (.Net development, and some COM+), this is easily done with PostCallouts "Alwin" wrote: > Have anybody an idea how I can make that every company gets automatic an > Companynumber from MS-CRM? Thank you for your help! Alwin Have you any paperwork, how to do this? or an artikle? Thanks a lot Alwin "David Jennaway" wrote: > Assuming you have the technical knowledge (.Net development, and ...

Send a fax with preset number
Hi! I've got a worksheet containing an invoice with client information including fax number. I would like this invoice to be faxed when the user clicks on a button. This works fine with the 'Printout' method of the Workbook (I can select the fax as printer and the assistant shows up, which I'm ok with). However, I would like the fax number to be automatically set in the assistant window, so that the user doesnt have to type it in manually. Is there a way to do this without buying a third party component? I'm using Excel 2000. Thanks in advance! J�r�mie Hi My advice...

can I make access remember a last unbound number
I want to 'store' a number (which changes frequently) in an unbound text box, but do not want it stored in any tables. Can this be done? The number is used to reference a user start point, but I want it to still be there when the database is reopened. "efandango" <efandango@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5F6D14E-3B48-4DD5-8A7E-3C6477AE8B01@microsoft.com... >I want to 'store' a number (which changes frequently) in an unbound text >box, > but do not want it stored in any tables. Can this be done? > > The number is...

How do I set up a cumulative column, without entering it manually
I am setting up a cumulative column in excel and I'm having to enter it manually. Is there a way to do this quickly without having to do it manually. Assume your data is in Column A. In B1, enter: =A1 In B2, enter: =B1+A2 Fill down as far as you need -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "LG" <LG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D609313-68B1-4CD4-B96C-0370C7E25C3A@microsoft.com... >I am setting up a cumulative column in excel and I'm having to enter it > manually. Is there a way to do this quickly without having to do it >...

Locked Graphs with 'Fluid' X-axis length
Right, I shall try and descibe this right. Trying to setup a 'template' for people monthly reports, where data for many differnt areas is graphed so Managers/Reviewers with little time can just use the graphs for a indication. The 'Y' value (and sometime 'Z') can be anything, but the 'X' is something specific. X in this case is the months, from "Project/Contract Award" (min value, MMM/yy format) to the "Revised Completion" (max, MMM-yy). now as different projects have different durations, how can you specify a fluid range on the X-a...

checking celll in column
Hi I need help I want to look for a cell in column if we find the cell in the column � the value of the cell� write 1 if not write 0 For example � I have A1 cell which have inside number I want to check if that number in the rang of C1;C100 if true 1 false 0 I do it like that =IF(C3=sheet1!C3:C16;1;0) but it doesn�t work cuz it check in all the column not cell by cell in the column Thnx -- withblue ------------------------------------------------------------------------ withblue's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23767 View this thread: http:...

how can I find two same rows in a column?
I've got a file where I put all my invoices numbers. It's a long file, so how can I know if a put the same invoice number twice??? Thanks a lot!!! Hi see: http://cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#TaggingDuplicates "Anevigat" wrote: > I've got a file where I put all my invoices numbers. It's a long file, so how > can I know if a put the same invoice number twice??? > Thanks a lot!!! ...

Troubles retrieve activity columns.
Hi, I am trying retrieve activities, using CRMQuery or CRMActivitiy, selecting the activityid, subject, scheduledstart and scheduledend columns but these two last fields aren't retrieved. Can somebody help me? Why I can't retrieve this fields? Thank your for pay attention. []'s Vin�cius Pitta Lima de Ara�jo Now I know who the trouble is not the result. The retrieve method is work fine. The problem is load this into a dataset and after display all in a datagrid. []�s Vin�cius Pitta Lima de Ara�jo "Microsoft" <vinipitta@yahoo.com.br> escreveu na mensagem news:%2...

Alternate page numbering
How to start a publisher book with a page number other than 1? Anthony wrote: > How to start a publisher book with a page number other than 1? Tools > Options or Insert > Section -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

How do I make a particular column required in Excel?
Our NPO is creating a reimbursement chart in Excel. We're trying to make it so that if employees do not fill in one particular column entitled "Projects," they will get an error or will be unable to have a final sum filled in. Is there any way I can make this particular column required so that if it is not filled in, the chart will not complete properly? Thank you in advance for any advice or help--I'm a bit of a novice to this! smistretta, You don't really give enough information for, (me to give), a real answer but if the "Projects" column is column G...

Access data into Excel across columns
Is there a way to create an Access report that would take the field 'names' and expand the records from left to right (text vertical) rather than from top to bottom? The other alternative would be to bring the data into Excel and have it populate pre-formatted cells from left to right (across columns). I'm using Office XP Thanks in advance! ...

How do I extract the decimal places from a number in excel?
I need to produce a spreadsheet that rights the example: 1,245.89 as one two four five 89. I've tried the left and right formulaes and the len one but the numbers will change in length and may have zero decimals at the end too. Not sure how to set this up now. Need the numbers in seperate cells, currently have the following formula for the second number and so forth: RIGHT(LEFT(B3,2),1) Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks. Hi, Do the two formula do what you want =INT(B3) =MOD(B3,1) Mike "Marli" wrote: > I need to produce a spreadsh...

40-col x-fer report
I have a client in search of a 40-col transfer order template. The idea is to have only a POS printer at the warehouse for printing packingslips or transfer orders or PO receivers. HI JT, if you know how to do the customization in POXfr.xml file then you can accomplish what your client want, it is somehow time consuming job to customized this. "JT of TC" wrote: > I have a client in search of a 40-col transfer order template. The idea is > to have only a POS printer at the warehouse for printing packingslips or > transfer orders or PO receivers. > > >...

How to convert column order?
Hi, Is there any way to convert the column order? For example: ColumnA;ColumnB;ColumnC;ColumnD;.... How to have like the inverse order: .....;ColumnD;ColumnC;ColumnB;ColumnA Nota: If there's any formula, it should be keeped Thank you very much in advance A bit more explanation might help -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "mobimus" <musat45@gmail.com@enlever> wrote in message news:mn.53187d5c55529142.43543@enlever... > Hi, > > Is there any way to convert the column order? > > For example: > > ColumnA;ColumnB;ColumnC...

numbers format
I formatted a group of cells, using currency,2 decimal places, the $ sign. When I clicked okay only one cell formatted; the rest have ##### in each cell. Can anyone tell me what to do to correct it? Hi MaryJo, Your column is not wide enough. 1) Select column and use Format|Column and set a width, OR 2) Use the mouse to grab the column border (for example between B and C) and drag to make column wider, OR 3) Double click on column border to get automatic fit to size for column Best wishes Bernard "Mary Jo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:58ff01...

Name associated with a number
I have a set of data that alternates names and numbers within a row. For example: Smith, 7, Jones, 5, Peters, 2, etc. I'm trying to pull out of each row the name associated with a specified number. So if the specified number is 2 in the example, I want the name Peters pulled out. The numbers are unique within each row, so there will be only one possible choice. I got a partial solution using the formula =MATCH(2,J3:AA3,0). This returns the position in the range where the number 2 is found. But I've been unable to display the name just before the 2 in the row. I tried OFFSET, bu...

renaming x axis values on graphs
How do I rename the x values on a graph instead of having it simply correspond to the row numbers? I tried clicking on the x axis properties and I see some options but I can seem to manually enter what I want to appear. I have 17,000 cells of data and it simply has 0 - 17,000 in 2,000 increments. I would prefer to have it listed in months or at least 1 - 12 but I can't seem to be able too. ...

Creating a number of Hyperlinks one after another.
I have a large number of text files that I scanned into different folders such as, essays, newspaper articles etc. I saved the files by name followed by the date I wrote them. It was only when I tried to add an extra field to the file name so that I could sort them by name or the date written that I discovered it was not possible because I have never needed to do this exercise before. I know that I could copy the folder and then change the file titles from starting with their name to starting with the date that they were written but that would mean doubling up a number of ...

Office 2004 and OS X Server
Can anyone clarify if Office 2004 works on OS X Server without asking = each=20 client for license information? Thanks. ...

Excel 2003 unites csv file row contents in a column A with squares
Hello! I exported a Windows Address book to a csv file in Windows Vista. Excel 2007 opens the file correctly, but Excel 2003 unites row contents in a column A with squares betweel fields. How to open the csv file in Excel 2003 correctly? Regards, Dmitry Use Data/ Import External Data/ Import Data, specify as delimited, then set the delimiter to whatever the delimiting character in your csv file is. -- David Biddulph "Dima" <Dima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CC458D7A-F5B7-4402-A8BD-D89A147710E8@microsoft.com... > Hello! > I exported a Windows Addr...

Can i retrieve BIOS serial number from all the BIOS models(motherboards) ?
Hi, I'm able to retrieve the serial number from my BIOS. (VC++ code). I wanted to use this serial number information as Machine ID (for licensing mechanism) for my application. My doubt is, can i able to retrieve BIOS serial number from all the mother board types( or BIOS types)..? If i distribute my application, will that application retrieve the BIOS serial number from all the BIOS models without getting any problem..? Need help. The best advice as far as building licensing mechanisms is: don't do it. Hand-rolled attempts will either fail to work for valid customers (thus annoyin...

excel
how do I keep 16 digit numbers as text in excel? I format the cells as text ahead of time but when I cut and paste the numbers in the last digit is converted to a zero and it is displayed in scientific notation. Paste Specials Values "Thuferhawat" <Thuferhawat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCCAC05B-CDA2-42B5-9A49-FEFBA06CC73F@microsoft.com... : how do I keep 16 digit numbers as text in excel? : I format the cells as text ahead of time but when I cut and paste the : numbers in the last digit is converted to a zero and it is displayed in : scientific notati...