Countif non consecutive columns

I have the following:
                                    Attended         Attended
      A                B               C         D         E        F
1 John Doe         x               Y         x         N       ____

Column B and D with the x are if they are to attend and column C and E are
whether they attended or not and it continues for several other courses.

How do I sum or countif the nonconsecutive columns are Y? It will be column
C, E, G, I etc but the same row. I need to tally how many they actually
attended vs not attned in another column next to it.

Thank you! Hope this makes sense!
0
shamor (3)

This is one way
=--(C2="Y")+--(E2="Y")+--(G2="Y")

added cells +--(I2="Y") as needed
--
Wag more, bark less

"shamor" wrote:

> I have the following:
>                                     Attended         Attended
>       A                B               C         D         E        F
> 1 John Doe         x               Y         x         N       ____
>
> Column B and D with the x are if they are to attend and column C and E are
> whether they attended or not and it continues for several other courses.
>
> How do I sum or countif the nonconsecutive columns are Y? It will be column
> C, E, G, I etc but the same row. I need to tally how many they actually
> attended vs not attned in another column next to it.
>
> Thank you! Hope this makes sense!
0
Brad (219)
5/29/2008 1:56:03 PM
This does not work it gives me a true statement and it counted a "N" as true.

What I need is for it to count or sum a total in number format of the "Y" in
the non-consecutive columns. That column could be a Y or N and I need to
count the Y in non-consecutive columns across a spreadsheet.

Thanks!

"Brad" wrote:

> This is one way
> =--(C2="Y")+--(E2="Y")+--(G2="Y")
>
> added cells +--(I2="Y") as needed
> --
> Wag more, bark less
>

> "shamor" wrote:
>
> > I have the following:
> >                                     Attended         Attended
> >       A                B               C         D         E        F
> > 1 John Doe         x               Y         x         N       ____
> >
> > Column B and D with the x are if they are to attend and column C and E are
> > whether they attended or not and it continues for several other courses.
> >
> > How do I sum or countif the nonconsecutive columns are Y? It will be column
> > C, E, G, I etc but the same row. I need to tally how many they actually
> > attended vs not attned in another column next to it.
> >
> > Thank you! Hope this makes sense!
0
shamor (3)
5/29/2008 2:25:01 PM
I tested this on my computer before posting and it provides the correct number.

Only counting the "Y" as one....

Like to figure the problem out with you.  Please check to make sure that you
are adding up the correct cells.  (Tracing dependents can make sure that you
are not off a row or two...)  Can you post the equation that you have entered?

--
Wag more, bark less

"shamor" wrote:

> This does not work it gives me a true statement and it counted a "N" as true.
>
> What I need is for it to count or sum a total in number format of the "Y" in
> the non-consecutive columns. That column could be a Y or N and I need to
> count the Y in non-consecutive columns across a spreadsheet.
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Brad" wrote:
>
> > This is one way
> > =--(C2="Y")+--(E2="Y")+--(G2="Y")
> >
> > added cells +--(I2="Y") as needed
> > --
> > Wag more, bark less
> >

> > "shamor" wrote:
> >
> > > I have the following:
> > >                                     Attended         Attended
> > >       A                B               C         D         E        F
> > > 1 John Doe         x               Y         x         N       ____
> > >
> > > Column B and D with the x are if they are to attend and column C and E are
> > > whether they attended or not and it continues for several other courses.
> > >
> > > How do I sum or countif the nonconsecutive columns are Y? It will be column
> > > C, E, G, I etc but the same row. I need to tally how many they actually
> > > attended vs not attned in another column next to it.
> > >
> > > Thank you! Hope this makes sense!
0
Brad (219)
5/29/2008 2:35:00 PM
As long you are counting every other row you can use this

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(COLUMN(C2:Z2),2)=1),--(C2:Z2="Y"))

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"shamor" <shamor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This does not work it gives me a true statement and it counted a "N" as
> true.
>
> What I need is for it to count or sum a total in number format of the "Y"
> in
> the non-consecutive columns. That column could be a Y or N and I need to
> count the Y in non-consecutive columns across a spreadsheet.
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Brad" wrote:
>
>> This is one way
>> =--(C2="Y")+--(E2="Y")+--(G2="Y")
>>
>> added cells +--(I2="Y") as needed
>> --
>> Wag more, bark less
>>

>> "shamor" wrote:
>>
>> > I have the following:
>> >                                     Attended         Attended
>> >       A                B               C         D         E        F
>> > 1 John Doe         x               Y         x         N       ____
>> >
>> > Column B and D with the x are if they are to attend and column C and E
>> > are
>> > whether they attended or not and it continues for several other
>> > courses.
>> >
>> > How do I sum or countif the nonconsecutive columns are Y? It will be
>> > column
>> > C, E, G, I etc but the same row. I need to tally how many they actually
>> > attended vs not attned in another column next to it.
>> >
>> > Thank you! Hope this makes sense!

0
terre081 (3244)
5/29/2008 2:43:21 PM
I have done the below 2 formulas and they didn't work:

=G2(G2="Y")+K2(K2="Y")+O2(O2="Y")
=--(G2="Y")+--(K2="Y")+--(O2="Y")

Now I did this one and it worked but I have to identify the entire row and I
didn't want to have to do that in case I have to add a column that requires a
"Y" answer but does not need to get counted in that end result.......

=COUNTIF(F2:AM2, "Y")

Thanks much!

"Brad" wrote:

> I tested this on my computer before posting and it provides the correct number.
>
> Only counting the "Y" as one....
>
> Like to figure the problem out with you.  Please check to make sure that you
> are adding up the correct cells.  (Tracing dependents can make sure that you
> are not off a row or two...)  Can you post the equation that you have entered?
>
> --
> Wag more, bark less
>

> "shamor" wrote:
>
> > This does not work it gives me a true statement and it counted a "N" as true.
> >
> > What I need is for it to count or sum a total in number format of the "Y" in
> > the non-consecutive columns. That column could be a Y or N and I need to
> > count the Y in non-consecutive columns across a spreadsheet.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > "Brad" wrote:
> >
> > > This is one way
> > > =--(C2="Y")+--(E2="Y")+--(G2="Y")
> > >
> > > added cells +--(I2="Y") as needed
> > > --
> > > Wag more, bark less

0
shamor (3)
5/29/2008 3:09:04 PM
I'm currently working in Excel 2007

In the Formula dropdown there is an "Evaluate Formula" options (2003 has the
same function the was to access it might be slightly different) - when you
evaluate the formula where does it not give you what you expect...

By the way Peo's answer is a more elegant answer than mine but it
essentially does the same thing.....
--
Wag more, bark less

"shamor" wrote:

> I have done the below 2 formulas and they didn't work:
>
> =G2(G2="Y")+K2(K2="Y")+O2(O2="Y")
> =--(G2="Y")+--(K2="Y")+--(O2="Y")
>
> Now I did this one and it worked but I have to identify the entire row and I
> didn't want to have to do that in case I have to add a column that requires a
> "Y" answer but does not need to get counted in that end result.......
>
> =COUNTIF(F2:AM2, "Y")
>
> Thanks much!
>
> "Brad" wrote:
>
> > I tested this on my computer before posting and it provides the correct number.
> >
> > Only counting the "Y" as one....
> >
> > Like to figure the problem out with you.  Please check to make sure that you
> > are adding up the correct cells.  (Tracing dependents can make sure that you
> > are not off a row or two...)  Can you post the equation that you have entered?
> >
> > --
> > Wag more, bark less
> >

> > "shamor" wrote:
> >
> > > This does not work it gives me a true statement and it counted a "N" as true.
> > >
> > > What I need is for it to count or sum a total in number format of the "Y" in
> > > the non-consecutive columns. That column could be a Y or N and I need to
> > > count the Y in non-consecutive columns across a spreadsheet.
> > >
> > > Thanks!

0
Brad (219)
5/29/2008 3:31:03 PM
Shamor

I would like you to use the middle formula
=--(G2="Y")+--(K2="Y")+--(O2="Y")

--
Wag more, bark less

"shamor" wrote:

> I have done the below 2 formulas and they didn't work:
>
> =G2(G2="Y")+K2(K2="Y")+O2(O2="Y")
> =--(G2="Y")+--(K2="Y")+--(O2="Y")
>
> Now I did this one and it worked but I have to identify the entire row and I
> didn't want to have to do that in case I have to add a column that requires a
> "Y" answer but does not need to get counted in that end result.......
>
> =COUNTIF(F2:AM2, "Y")
>
> Thanks much!
>
> "Brad" wrote:
>
> > I tested this on my computer before posting and it provides the correct number.
> >
> > Only counting the "Y" as one....
> >
> > Like to figure the problem out with you.  Please check to make sure that you
> > are adding up the correct cells.  (Tracing dependents can make sure that you
> > are not off a row or two...)  Can you post the equation that you have entered?
> >
> > --
> > Wag more, bark less
> >

> > "shamor" wrote:
> >
> > > This does not work it gives me a true statement and it counted a "N" as true.
> > >
> > > What I need is for it to count or sum a total in number format of the "Y" in
> > > the non-consecutive columns. That column could be a Y or N and I need to
> > > count the Y in non-consecutive columns across a spreadsheet.
> > >
> > > Thanks!

0
Brad (219)
5/29/2008 4:05:01 PM
If you use a + operator, the -- is superfluous.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Brad" <Brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Shamor
>
> I would like you to use the middle formula
> =--(G2="Y")+--(K2="Y")+--(O2="Y")
>

> --
> Wag more, bark less
>

> "shamor" wrote:
>
>> I have done the below 2 formulas and they didn't work:
>>
>> =G2(G2="Y")+K2(K2="Y")+O2(O2="Y")
>> =--(G2="Y")+--(K2="Y")+--(O2="Y")
>>
>> Now I did this one and it worked but I have to identify the entire row
>> and I
>> didn't want to have to do that in case I have to add a column that
>> requires a
>> "Y" answer but does not need to get counted in that end result.......
>>
>> =COUNTIF(F2:AM2, "Y")
>>
>> Thanks much!
>>
>> "Brad" wrote:
>>
>> > I tested this on my computer before posting and it provides the correct
>> > number.
>> >
>> > Only counting the "Y" as one....
>> >
>> > Like to figure the problem out with you.  Please check to make sure
>> > that you
>> > are adding up the correct cells.  (Tracing dependents can make sure
>> > that you
>> > are not off a row or two...)  Can you post the equation that you have
>> > entered?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Wag more, bark less

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)

Parsing thru columns to find the last number
I have six columns of data and am unsure how to get to the final replacement of an item. See, col A is the itemcode, then b,c,d,e,f contain item codes that have replaced the col a item. Not all items have been replaced five times, some none, some only two, in this case col b would be blank and or col C would be blank. My goal is to find the last item in the columns that were replaced and put it in a column on it's own. So the outcome will be colA is replaced by Col G. The data looks like this. A B C D E F G z k o p i So this was replaced four times and the end res...

Changing rows by Columns
Hi, I have a query. I need to show the result of this query changing rows by columns in the table of my report. How I can to make it in SSRS 2005? Best regards and thanks!! Julio I would T-SQL , a new PIVOT command does that "julito" <julito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E79F47EB-504E-494B-AA4F-EFEEFF510A8D@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have a query. I need to show the result of this query changing rows by > columns in the table of my report. > > How I can to make it in SSRS 2005? > > Best regards and thank...

Modify Outlook Default Columns for New Folder??
When I create a new folder to store e-mail, one of the default columns is the "Size" column. I prefer not to have this column in my folders. I know I can right click and remove this column. Is there a way to modify my settings so that this column will never appear when I create a new folder in Outlook? Tom View, Arrange by, if Ol2003], Current View, Define views... reset the view (usually Messages) and modify it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Othe...

How to set the column title in a listbox from Excel
any help here? You can do it two ways. 1.) Include a header in your RowSource Range. 2.) You can put Lablels just above your ListBox to label your ListBox columns. Hope this helps! If so, let me know, click "YES" below. -- Cheers, Ryan "V Hoang" wrote: > any help here? If ColumnHeads is set to true in the properties window, then the header row should not be included in the RowSource or ListFill range. VBA will automatically include the row above the ListFill range as a header if the ColumnHeads property is set to true. "Ryan H&q...

Formula to find the last number of a column (lower cell)
I have a column with numbers. I want a formula that it will be finding the lower cell that has data. For example in column A i have numbers in cells A1, A2 and A3. In cell A10 i want a fotmula. With this formula will see in cell A10 the number that i have in cell A3. If i put a number in cell A4 i want that number to be shown in cell A10. Try the below in cell A10 =LOOKUP(10^10,A1:A9) -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "yiannis5231" wrote: > I have a column with numbers. I want a formula that it will be finding the > lower cell that has data. For example in colu...

Column chart with 2 Y axis's
I have two Y axis, the secondary is 10x the primary in values. The 1 data series plotted against the secondary axis shows up right on top of the 4 data series plotted against the primary axis. Is there some way to avoid this, so all 5 data series appear side by side with no overlap? Thanks!!! Norm PS Excel 2002 & WIndows 2000 Pro Father Guido ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ I plan on living forever... so far, so good Plot the data series you want on the secondary axis not once but 5=20 times. Ensure all of them are on ...

Counting rows of blanks across certain columns
I have a survey whose answers were recorded in Excel. The answers for a particular question extend from Q6 to Z505. I need to count the people who did not answer the question (that is, the people, entered in rows 6 to 505 that left columns Q through Z blank). I'm not sure how to do this. Can someone offer a suggestion? Hi You can use a formula like this in Column AA =IF(COUNTA(Q6:Z6)=0,1,"") copy down till AA505 You can use a simple Sum formula now to count the empty ones =SUM(AA6:AA505) -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "crossingboston" <...

calendar issues with column headings
I have users that display multipe calendars at once. We are using OL 2003 with Exchange server 2003. When they have 5 or more calendars open, the column heading gets truncated. This is not a problem except that the column header is being center justified instead of left justified. When this happens, the name of the calendar becomes unreadable due to the names being similar in the middle of the calendar name. I found a setting in the views to change this for email column headers, but not for calendars. In OL2007, the calendar column heading is left justified. Is there an easy way ...

Adding sums in rows and columns and colouring cells with conditions
Hi all, I have a long table where i need to add and colour individual cells based on 'days home' and 'days away'. The table is uploaded here https://www.yousendit.com/download/MnFqaUNBUzhoMlYzZUE9PQ In order to automate some of this i'd like to automate some, but preferably all aspects of this, such as: 1. automatically colour the cell orange for "home" and yellow for "away" 2. add separately in the home and away columns the number of days for each 3. add the rows for the alternate lines (ie days only, rates only) I want to do this without yet another...

Grouping columns
I have a spreadsheet where the columns of data are in logical groups. For example, I have 5 columns of data for the month of February, followed by the same 5 columns but for March etc. What I want to do is than when the user scrolls right or left the whole of one month moves and not part of it. is there some way to group the columns so that they will scroll as a unit? Jonathan Blitz AnyKey Limited Israel You can use one unused row, like row 1, and merge the 5 cells across for each month..........then use that row to do your scrolling....... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Jonatha...

how do you keep a column in date form
i'm making a spreedsheet in office excel, in column A I have a list of dates. I would type in 4/5 for an date and excel would automatic change the date to 4-Apr. I like this way, but when I got to cell 26, the change will not happen. I type in 4/5 and I get just the number 1 in the cell, for the rest of the cells down, can someone help me. Copy the cell that has the format you like and paste format it to the cells that you want to have the date format. "s2m2" <s2m2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F350F90F-24B9-4B79-BE39-20AB0414015D@microsoft.com......

Can you expand/collapse columns based on a reportitem/field values
I have a report that is driven by accounting periods. The columns are 1, 2, 3, Q1, 4, 5, 6, Q2...YTD. Currently when the report opens all that is shown is Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, and YTD and the user can expand from there. What I want to happen is, if we are in Q2, I want columns 4,5,6, Q2 to be expanded. So the report should read Q1, 4,5,6, Q2, Q3, Q4, YTD. Is this possible? Thanks in advance Original Stealth, Certainly can. I created the following dataset: SELECT 'Q1' AS Expr1, 1 AS Expr2, 500 AS Expr3 UNION ALL SELECT 'Q1' AS Expr1, 2 AS Expr...

COUNTIF across multiple sheets
I have a workbook that has five sheets - September. . . January. I have a range of cells (D6:D17) where I need to count the occurrence of specific text from all sheets . For example: In D6:D17 sheet September has four cells with "fries", two with "malt" and two with "shrimp", the balance of cells in the range are empty. In D6:D17 sheet November has four cells with "malt" and all other range cells are empty On a sheet named Total I want to total the occurrence of "fries", "shrimp" and "malt" on all sheets in the workbook. ...

Default Public View has records but columns are blank
A custom entity has a default list view but the entries in the list do not show any values. There are a number of lines in the list with an icon only. If I try to delete one the message says select an entry before attempting operation. I cannot select the lijne either. Have created many views before and never seen this. Other views are ok? Hi Steve, Try publishing the entity and see if this resolves the problem. HTH, Niths "Steve" wrote: > A custom entity has a default list view but the entries in the list do not > show any values. There are a number of lines in the...

HIDDEN COLUMNS #3
SOMEHOW I'VE HIDDEN COLUMNS A AND B, AND NOW I CAN'T UNHIDE THEM. HELP! Click on the header for column C, highlighting the entire column. Without releasing the mouse, drag until you're over the column of row headers (on my version of Excel, in Office 2003, I see the tool tip change to '3C'). Now you should be able to Format > Column > Unhide. "acp20770" wrote: > SOMEHOW I'VE HIDDEN COLUMNS A AND B, AND NOW I CAN'T UNHIDE THEM. HELP! If you select the sheet then go to window and unhide it will restore the Hidden windows. "acp20770&q...

Column A to change font color if column B is not empty
Hi, I'd like to have column A of a sheet to automatically turn to red font when a cell in column B is entered,ie, the Cell A3 will change from red to black when B3 is entered and B3 is a date. Can it be done? Thanks & Regards, Val Hi try: - select cells A3:A10 - goto 'Format - Conditional format' - enter the formula =$B3<>"" - choose a format -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany dolphinv4 wrote: > Hi, > > I'd like to have column A of a sheet to automatically > turn to red font when a cell in column B is entered,ie, > the Cell ...

Adding and subtracting from a column.
I have a stock list with a "quantity" column. What I would like to do is add the new stock to the existing quantity column or subtract requisitioned items from the quantity column. I guess it is a "self totaling" column I need to make. As a separate exercise I would like to make a new column for orders. Insert a quantity on that column for any of the items ( rows) I want to order and then print it out... BUT I only want to print the rows that have quantities in that column ( i.e. the actual items I am ordering ). This column is not linked to the above column. Could an...

non-continuous section breaks
I’ve been doing a lot of content removal and rearrangement. When I view headers/footers in a Word 2007 .docm file, they number from beginning to end like this: Section 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 8. The fallout from this is the page numbering for section 7 will not continue from previous section. Is there a way to make the section numbers sequential again so my page numbers will correct themselves? Also, is this a cautionary tale about not cutting whole sections and moving them (I have a mix of landscape and portrait pages). I’ve never experienced non-sequential section numbering bef...

Bridge or Up/Down floating column chart
Might anyone know of an example to a bridge or floating bar chart that I could download and learn from - I need to build a template in excel for lots of Power point slides. I have a book with a picture of one but no examples. Thanks for the time Try either of these tutorial pages: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FloatingColumns.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Waterfall.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ TFrisch wrote: > Might anyone know of an example to a ...

Repeat values in column A a certain number of times depending on the value in column B
Imagine a set of data as set out below: Column A Column B Apples 24 Pears 36 Oranges 8 I want to poplulate a column (for exampel column A on a new sheet), where the values in column A will be repeated as many times as the value in column B Thus the first 24 rows will say Apples, the next 36 rows will Pears, Oranges. I need a formula that recogonizes that when it gets to row 25 that it should no longer need to copy Apples, but then switch to pears. This might sound like an unusual request but if I can grasp a way to do this I can create the table I need and populate the rest...

selecting the 2nd column of a combo box in a report?
I have a combo box that uses data from a table with the fields (setupid, physician setup, md_PIN). the bound column = 1. The physicians sign on using their name (signing_md) and PIN (signing_md_pin). thanks to advice from this website I have...If signing_md_pin.value = dlookup("md_pin". "[setup table]","[setupid] =" [signing_md] then ... in the event procedure. When I try to get the physician name on the report (signing_md) it returns the physician number (setupid) instead of the name. How do I get the 2nd column of the combo box to the report?Thank you....

How to succesfully sort column of formulas?
I am trying to sort a column of formulas that consist of cel references. Example: Column: Cell 1 holds: =D10 Cell 2 holds: =D11 Cell 3 holds: =D12 Data: D10=1 D11=2 D12=3 When I try to sort the column of formulas, the formulas change cel references to other cells and mess up the data. How can I sort a column of cells of which all of them contain formula and have the cells keep the references to the right place -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi- If you write your formulae with absolute references rather tha relative references, you can sort them. Formulae should look ...

License Question: clarification of "non-commercial use" for Office

Row amd column heading
I have received one excel file in which rows number (1,2...) and column name (A,B,...) are in some big font 18, or maybe more. I couldn't find option to make them standard. Thanks in advance, Emilija Hi Emilija, On you toolbar you should have a font box and next to it is the size of the font. Select the row and change the fontsize to 10 for instance. Help, Answer Wizard Change font size From the topics show, select the topic that matches "Change the font or font size" --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http...

Need help with Multi-workbook COUNTIF formula!!
I have monthly worksheets that use drop down boxes to pick criteria from lists. The linked cell outputs a number based on what the chosen criteria was in the drop down box. Currently I use this outputted number on a summary sheet with a COUNTIF formula ie COUNTIF(Sept!$R$3:$R$200,2) to summarize monthly info. I would like to generate yearly info instead without having to generate monthly totals first. Is there a formula that can use both ranges - Jan:Dec and $R$3:$R$200 - with the criteria of the linked cell ie. 2? ...