Count Text Data

Using 2007 on Vista

If I've got text data which in some columns either has data or there
is a blank, what formula do I use to count how many cells have text in
them per column?

Many thanks
0
weewillie1 (10)

=COUNTA(A2:A200)

will count everything except blanks

post back if you have numbers as well that
should not be counted

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

<weewillie@anon.com> wrote in message
> Using 2007 on Vista
>
> If I've got text data which in some columns either has data or there
> is a blank, what formula do I use to count how many cells have text in
> them per column?
>
> Many thanks

0
terre081 (3244)
6/26/2008 6:55:59 PM
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:55:59 -0700, "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org>
wrote:

>=COUNTA(A2:A
0
weewillie1 (10)
6/26/2008 8:11:09 PM
Thanks

I did just that
In my case it's " =COUNTA(A2:A1293)"
I then dragged this formula along the bottom of each column
Despite some columns have less data than in col a, all columns show
the same result 1292
How can this be?

wrote:

>=COUNTA(A2:A200)
>
>will count everything except blanks
>
>post back if you have numbers as well that
>should not be counted
0
weewillie1 (10)
6/26/2008 8:13:25 PM
Hi
Perhaps you have calculation mode set to Manual

Tools>Options>Calculation>automatic

--
Regards
Roger Govier

> Thanks
>
> I did just that
> In my case it's " =COUNTA(A2:A1293)"
> I then dragged this formula along the bottom of each column
> Despite some columns have less data than in col a, all columns show
> the same result 1292
> How can this be?
>
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:55:59 -0700, "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>=COUNTA(A2:A200)
>>
>>will count everything except blanks
>>
>>post back if you have numbers as well that
>>should not be counted

0
Roger

Count

word count
my word count says 1 no matter how many words I type Please help Gary Does this happen with a particular document, only, or with any document that you open in Word? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "raider23" wrote: > my word count says 1 no matter how many words I type > Please help > Gary ...

Copy field data to multiple places

Pivot Tables & changing data
Hi - I have never used pivot tables in Excel before so hopefully what I am going to ask is possible and not too complicated for me.... :o) I am working with Excel 2003. I have a pivot table already set up and the information is pulling data from a row titled "sum of Subscriber". I added new data in a new column from the main spreadsheet and I would like to pull the data from there. Its titled "Adj Subscriber". Is it possible to switch it? If so, how? Thanks, Anna Marie Anna wrote: > Hi - I have never used pivot tables in Excel before so hopefully what I am &...

how to edit my x-axis data on a line graph
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel my x axis data on my graph is just showing numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11.... and it is suppose to show the years. I can't figure out how to change these values ...

Count problems[Excel 97]
Hi there, I did a search on the forum to find an answer to my question but didn' find anything. Here is my prob : Lets say I got this page-> ___a___b_____c__d__ 1 Name Type Job bla 2 Name Type Job bla 3 Name Type Job bla 4 Name Type Job bla 5 Name Type Job bob I want a Cell to write how many row I got( 5 in this exemple) and onl count the cells with bla in the D column(4 in this exemple). Sorry if I'm not really clear but if you can help me feel free t answer :) thx, Tulkas -- Tulka -----------------------------------------------------------...

Data from Access query to Excel
To pull data from an Access 2003 database, I have created the queries in Access, then import into Excel. The problem is that all the numbers that are pulled into Excel are text and need to convert them into numbers to run formulas on. I have converted a few sheets by hand, but, some have will over 50,000 rows. Is there a function to select all number colums (the colums are the same through out the sheets) and convert? Thanks There are instructions here for converting text to numbers: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html You can select all the columns, and only the num...

How to delete duplicate data
Hi, I am using excel to consolidate monthly room booking data. I have a date column and time column. May I know how to to delete those rows which contains duplicate data with same date stated in the date columnand and same time range in the time column? Thank you. Data>filter>advanced filter, unique records only and copy to another location -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com (Remove ^^ from email) "PL" <PL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F45DAE2B-252D-4E17-81D8-0F4C060BCB21@m...

text box on exit
I have validate code on text box and want to cursor get back text box. I use Screen.ActiveControl.SetFocus, but the cusor goes to where my mouse click. Are there any way to let cursor stay in the text box until user enter valide data? Your help is great appreciated, On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:43:02 -0700, Souris wrote: > I have validate code on text box and want to cursor get back text box. > > I use Screen.ActiveControl.SetFocus, but the cusor goes to where my mouse > click. > > Are there any way to let cursor stay in the text box until user enter valide > data? &...

Compressed Outlined Data Copy
I need to copy only the data that is compressed in Grouped rows and not all the rows when they are expanded. When I copy and paste the compressed data, I get all the data that is within the group, and not just the compressed data. For example: I need just the following (which is compressed): Ship $ Line $5,278.00 CYP Total $133,122.00 TI Total $34,660,135.00 Vic Total $34,798,535.00 Grand Total when I copy it (D2:E17, but only showing 5 lines because of the compression), it pastes 16 lines: Ship $ Line $123.00 CYP $44.00 CYP $4,444.00 CYP $667.00 CYP $5,278.00 CYP Total $123,124.00 TI $...

Full Text Index PF
We are running 3 Exchange servers in 3 separate sites. Two of which (including our main mail relay) are running Exchange 2003 while the third is still on Ex2000. Our public folder store size is roughly 3.5 GB. I am considering setting up FTI on my public folder store. Our only desire is to speed up the search results on a public contacts folder that is replicated across all 3 servers. Is FTI our best option and how much should I expect it to speed things up? We are seeing about 15-20 second searches (and sometimes longer) currently. Not horrible, but the execs want it faster. Thanks, M...

Combine part of text from one col to another
I'm trying to combine only part of a string from one column with all th text of another column. For instance I want to create usernames to log into a network. If col has Bill and col2 has Smith I want to get just the B from col1 an combine it with col2 to make smithb in a new column. Thanks in advance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this: -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== =B1&LEFT(A1) "epac135 >" <...

inverting data #2
Please help, I'm stuck! I conducted a survey where respondants each gave answers to 30 questions using a Likert scale i.e. they answered either 1,2,3,4 or 5 to each question. The data is in the following form: Question # q1 q2 q3 q4 q5 1 2 4 2 1 2 2 4 1 2 1 4 3 4 4 2 1 4 4 2 3 2 2 5 5 2 3 4 5 3 My problem is that half of the questions were asked in a negative direction to avoid possible response bias. For the answers to these questions, I need to reverse the answers. If the repondant answered 1, I want to record 5, if 2 then 4, if 3 then 3, if 4 then 2, if 5 then 1. Is there an...

Retreiving data
We move mailbox on a new server but somethimes we receive the following message: "outlook is retrieving data from the OLD exchange server" Can anyone help me -- Dambo On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 01:21:01 -0800, Damb0 <Damb0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We move mailbox on a new server but somethimes we receive the following >message: "outlook is retrieving data from the OLD exchange server" > >Can anyone help me What steps did you do to decommission the old server? If you give us an idea of the version of the old and new ones we can post the right help ...

On startup text to speech installation keeps appearing
Dear All When I load up Excel the dialog box comes up before excel continues to load saying: "Text to Speech - This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it now?" I dont want to install it but this KEEPS coming up, any ideas? Thanks Adam Someone answer please !!!!! >-----Original Message----- >Dear All > >When I load up Excel the dialog box comes up before excel >continues to load saying: > >"Text to Speech - This feature is not currently >installed. Would you like to install it now?" > >I dont want to inst...

Help Required with Macro to Manipulate Data
I have a spreadsheet(s) with the following data on it (this is imported from a text file) A B C D 1 Branch Date Total 2 4501 030204 29 3 4 4501 030204 14 5 6 4502 030204 331 7 8 4502 030204 52 9 10 4503 030204 54 11 12 4503 030204 85 Hi Alay and what do you want to achieve :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Alan T >" <<Alan.T.12jthe@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Alan.T.12jthe@excelforum-nospam.com... > I have a spreadsheet(s) with the following data on it (this is imported ...

Remove Data Format Change
I have a program that puts a database's data into an excel spreadsheet. The problem is that Excel is constantly changing the numbers to dates, which corrupts the data. I know I can switch the column data type to Text and that will fix it, but the problem is that when the data is written to the spreadsheet it overwrites that column data type and Excel does the formatting that changes my data. How can I turn this off so Excel stops trying to recognize data types and change their format? Please help because this is causing major problems for us. Thanks, ACFalcon >>I have a ...

Data
I can not see the entires I made for the past month. What can I do? In microsoft.public.money, Magnus wrote: >I can not see the entires I made for the past month. What >can I do? I don't know what would cause that. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182608 describes using -s switch. That is a simple safe thing to try. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274584 describes salv.exe. These may not solve your problem, but they are what I would do. I would also review my backup file situation. ...

External data changes not reflected
I am frustrated by something that is probably simple and due to my lac of knowledge... I had some 10 rows of external data (a named range in anothe spreadsheet) and I was copying it in just fine. Then I extended the source to have 20 rows and changed the length o the named range now when I refresh the data in the destination it onl brings in the first 10 rows. Even If I create a NEW desination workbook file it still doesn't pic up my new BIGGER named range definition(so it isn't something local t the WKS file) I presume it muct be keeping some definition around in cache or in ...

Data Migration Import
I am setting up the migration to only import the "Account" entity. I load the cdf table with all the required fields. When I run the migration it says everything was successful but no data is imported. What am I missing? ...

How do I get powerpoint to update data daily from excel formula?
I have a presentation designed for an office lobby and cannot figure out how to have an excel formula embedded into the slideshow change without shutting down the presentation and restarting it. The formula displays the number of days without a safety mishap. I thought by making the powerpoint show a playlist it might update...it didn't work. Any ideas would be appreciated? PowerPoint 2007 Brent, for an embedded object you will have to go in and change it manually to get it to change unless you mean a linked object which operates differently. "Brent" wrote...

can auto text be used in excel
can auto text be used in excell like it can in word? You can enter data in a table in Word then transfer it to Excel. "Me" wrote: > can auto text be used in excell like it can in word? ...

count and filter
Dear Reader Do you know whether there is a function that counts only the filtered elements of a column and not the whole column? Regards Farhad =SUBTOTAL(2,A2:A100) Edit A2:A100 to include the entire list of data as if unfiltered. It then returns a count of the filtered data. Lookup subtotal in Help and you will find a number of different functions that can be performed depending on the numerical parameter (2 in the above example). Regards, OssieMac "f_esfandiari@yahoo.com" wrote: > Dear Reader > > Do you know whether there is a function that counts only the fi...

How to convert PDF file to Text using VC++ 6.0
Dear Developer / Experts , I am developing an application which required to read PDF file and convert it into txt file . I dont have any idea how to do this. Please let me know if there is any free ActiveX / library to achieve this task. I am using VC++ 6.0 as my development environment . Thanks in advance , Regards , Jignesh Patel [VC++ : Software Developer] This might work for you. Since the full version requires membership this may not be enough, but it's worth giving a look. http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/acrobat/sdk/index.html Tom <jignesh2680@gmail.com&g...

Manufacturing Data Collection should not require an Employee ID
When you setup a Work Center in the manufacturing module, specific Employee ID's are not required. You can enter totals for Effective Capacity, Overload %, and Overtime % without specifying any employees. Likewise, no specific Machine ID is required for the machine(s) used in the work center. You may enter just totals for the machine data. Yet when you enter a WIP Data Collection transaction against a MO for Direct Labor, the Employee ID field is required, and for Machine Cost, the Machine ID is required. In our situation, we may have three employees in a work center, but the...