Count cells based on date range in another column

Could someone please suggest how to use a worksheet function to count
the number of non-empty cells in one column when the value in another
(date) column is in a particular date range?  The first column happens
to be dates as well, but the formula would ideally work regardless of
the counted column's data type.

e.g.

Given data such as:
Column 1    Column 2
---------   --------
23-Oct-03   2-Jan-04
12-Dec-03
1-Jan-05    14-Feb-05
31-Oct-02   12-Dec-03
1-Jan-05    14-Feb-05
31-Oct-02   12-Dec-03

How do I count the non-empty cells in Column 1 when Column 2 contains a
date in the year 2003?

Thanks,

Terry

=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(C2:C10)=2003),--(B2:B10<>""))

where C2:C10 is column 2 and B2:B10 column 1

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"TFTAJLLYMXZP@spammotel.com" wrote:

> Could someone please suggest how to use a worksheet function to count
> the number of non-empty cells in one column when the value in another
> (date) column is in a particular date range?  The first column happens
> to be dates as well, but the formula would ideally work regardless of
> the counted column's data type.
>
> e.g.
>
> Given data such as:
> Column 1    Column 2
> ---------   --------
> 23-Oct-03   2-Jan-04
> 12-Dec-03
> 1-Jan-05    14-Feb-05
> 31-Oct-02   12-Dec-03
> 1-Jan-05    14-Feb-05
> 31-Oct-02   12-Dec-03
>
> How do I count the non-empty cells in Column 1 when Column 2 contains a
> date in the year 2003?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Terry

0