Consolidate mutiple names in Column

Hi, I have a column that has mutliple names in it like shown in the example
below.

M Arque
J Amati
J Amati
M Arque
T Edwards
J Hall
J Hall
M Desai
M Desai

Is it possible to consolidate the name in another column to count the names
as one entry?
0
Greg7423 (349)

http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#FilterUR

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have a column that has mutliple names in it like shown in the
> example
> below.
>
> M Arque
> J Amati
> J Amati
> M Arque
> T Edwards
> J Hall
> J Hall
> M Desai
> M Desai
>
> Is it possible to consolidate the name in another column to count the
> names
> as one entry?

0
terre081 (3244)
6/18/2008 3:01:48 PM
Thanks, that did help, but one remaining question.  Now that I have
consolidated the duplicate names, can I assume the other remaining non
duplicated names moved to the new column also?  I have over 4K names, so I
wanted to make sure the non-duplicate names were added also.

"Greg" wrote:

> Hi, I have a column that has mutliple names in it like shown in the example
> below.
>
> M Arque
> J Amati
> J Amati
> M Arque
> T Edwards
> J Hall
> J Hall
> M Desai
> M Desai
>
> Is it possible to consolidate the name in another column to count the names
> as one entry?
0
Greg7423 (349)
6/18/2008 4:49:01 PM
Yes, if you apply the filter correctly it will "extract" one copy of each
name and
just remove all the duplicates

--

> Thanks, that did help, but one remaining question.  Now that I have
> consolidated the duplicate names, can I assume the other remaining non
> duplicated names moved to the new column also?  I have over 4K names, so I
> wanted to make sure the non-duplicate names were added also.
>

> "Greg" wrote:
>
>> Hi, I have a column that has mutliple names in it like shown in the
>> example
>> below.
>>
>> M Arque
>> J Amati
>> J Amati
>> M Arque
>> T Edwards
>> J Hall
>> J Hall
>> M Desai
>> M Desai
>>
>> Is it possible to consolidate the name in another column to count the
>> names
>> as one entry?

0
terre081 (3244)
6/18/2008 4:55:50 PM
Thank you again,

Greg

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> Yes, if you apply the filter correctly it will "extract" one copy of each
> name and
> just remove all the duplicates
>

> --
>

> Regards,
>

> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, that did help, but one remaining question.  Now that I have
> > consolidated the duplicate names, can I assume the other remaining non
> > duplicated names moved to the new column also?  I have over 4K names, so I
> > wanted to make sure the non-duplicate names were added also.
> >

> > "Greg" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, I have a column that has mutliple names in it like shown in the
> >> example
> >> below.
> >>
> >> M Arque
> >> J Amati
> >> J Amati
> >> M Arque
> >> T Edwards
> >> J Hall
> >> J Hall
> >> M Desai
> >> M Desai
> >>
> >> Is it possible to consolidate the name in another column to count the
> >> names
> >> as one entry?

0
Greg7423 (349)

Identify same names
Hello everyone: I have a row with names I want to find if any of those names ar repeated and place a "1" on the cell next to the name that is repeate and a "0" next to the the name that has no match. Something like this: John 0 mike 0 mary 1 Elias 0 mary 1 Thomas 0 If possible I want to do this with out writing code because I�m ver new in the use of excel. Thanks for your help. Rodolf -- rodolfor ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rodolform's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=get...

Accessing the value in a cell of a sheet of variable name
Hello, I am in this situation: "Information sheet" contains a cell (say B11) in which the user will enter the option (either "3" or "4"). Two sheets, "Play options 3" and "Play options 4" contain the settings. For instance, cell B12 of these sheets contain "Roll a die" on "Play options 1" and "Draw a card" on "Play options 2". In a fourth sheet, I want to display the content of that cell A9 depending on the option chosen. So far, I tried using: =INDIRECT("'Play options " & 'Infor...

Use worksheet number instead of name in formulas
Good morning everybody, I have looked through a few groups and I haven't been able to find what I need to do, so here goes: is there a standard function/formula that allows you to reference the work sheet number rather than the worksheet name when referencing a cell in a different worksheet than you are currently in? i.e.: instead of this: "='My worksheet name'!A1" do this: "=sheet(1)!A1" If there is no standard, then I will just make the VBA, but no use doing that if it is not necessary Tim Only through VBA. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 9 May 200...

chart 2 columns Excel shows a category graph
whenever I chart 2 columns (as a line graph,say), Excel shows a category graph, with 2 lines. I want the 1st col as X & 2nd as Y.... what settings do I have wrong? You will need to choose the XY scatter graph instead of the line graph. Select the two columns and create a chart. Right click on your chart>Chart Type... Choose XY Scatter. Regards Leni -- LeninVM ----------------------------------------------------------------------- LeninVMS's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=668 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?th...

Specifying certain columns in a row
Hi, Alright, so I have the following function: Code: -------------------- =IF(WEEKDAY(DATE(2005, 10, 15), 2) > 5,"WEEKEND","WEEKDAY") -------------------- The year, month, and day are in the 3 columns preceeding the "Weekend/Weekday" column. How would I go by specifying that the function should take the year, month, and day from columns B, C, and D, but -within that row-(so I can simply apply the same function to the entire column and not have to enter the date data manually in each row)? Can I? Any help would be greatly appreciated. -- kthxbai...

O2003: way to more easily display email account name?
I find that where it says "This message will be sent by ___(email acct)___" is a very small, insignificant-looking bit of text at that top that only appears if I change the account. I have an email checker that shows a huge field with a drop-down menu and it's not the same colour as the background, so it's very obvious which email account is being used. Is there something we can customize somewhere that will show a very obvious field here instead of what's available via default. As it is, I did acc the "Accounts" pulldown menu to my toolbar, but I find that t...

How to insert row and column labels into a single cell
I would like to have my rows and columns labels neatly inserted in one single top left hand cell, further divided diagonally. Is there any quick way to do it. How to ensure the text is easily editable within the two parts of the cell. Thank you. A cell cannot have two parts. About the only thing you can do is add a diagonal border then manually space your text on either side of the border.. Quick...........no Fiddly..........yes Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:47:02 -0800, Good Shape <Good Shape@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I wo...

Naming shared calendar
I create/manage a shared calendar for our district, which I cleverly named "District Calendar." When others open it, it's name displays as "My Name - District Calendar." I dislike having my name on it, since I am not a peer to the users, they don't know me, and it confuses some lightweight users. Is there a way to get it to display without my name? Sharing is via Microsoft Exchange, using Outlook 2007. -- kamp "kamp" <kamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E175EB8E-8FDC-416C-947B-EE53D491E3B5@microsoft.com... >I ...

Deleting names from the "Suggest Names" feature
Recently I did an e-mail blast to a large list of business constituents, most of which I don't correspond with on a regular basis. Now, when I type a name in my TO, CC or BCC Fields, it displays dozens of names from this bulk e-mail list. I'm curious to know if anyone knows of a feature to delete this memory so I can start over. l like the feature and don't want to shut it off completely. The place where I found the ability to shut it off is: Tools/Options/E-mail Preferences/E-mail Options/E-mail Advanced Options. I have discovered how to delete names on an individual bas...

portfolio column equity
What does the portfolio column 'Equity' show and/or how is it calulated. e.g., I have an investment that has a cost basis lower than current market value, and has paid dividends, but the column Equity shows a value less the original. -- Thanks, Charlie In microsoft.public.money, Charlie12345 wrote: >What does the portfolio column 'Equity' show and/or how is it calulated. For a regular stock it would normally match the MarketValue Column. For a bond, it would typically be zero. For a balanced mutual fund, it should represent that portion of MarketValue that the fund ho...

Hide names in broadcast email 5000+!
I am unable to hide the names of the 5000+ members we wish to send braodcast email to. Have been testing small groups at a time, and because of multiple addresses i feel we are being bounced out because of potential for spam. I have tried to use Bcc but under view menu I do not have that option. Outlook 2002 is what I am using. Thanks. ...

Changing the direction of column printing
I am designing cards which have a question/word on one side and answer on the back. I modified a label report to get the front side to print out in 3 columns, printing down and right. For the back of the cards, however, this needs to be reversed (i.e., down and left starting at the ride side of the paper) or the ansers and questions don't match up correctly. Can anyone suggest a method for doing this? Thanks, Brey Sloan "Brey Sloan" <BreySloan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote >I am designing cards which have a question/word on one side and answer on >the &g...

Naming convention for static class variables and static methods?
I've seen a number of variable naming conventions for class member variables, including m_ .... default Microsoft c_ .... for control variables associated with "widgets" x_ .... for captions _ .... underscore as prefix to member variable I'm pondering the utility of having a convention of st_ for class static variables. A typical usage would be a static class variable to keep track of how many instances of the class had been created. Anyway, before "re-inventing an out-of-round wheel", I thought I'd check on existing and preferred conventions. Is...

removing and inserting duplicate names
i need to sort out duplicate names and dates from spreadsheets. i am working with names and dates daily and sometimes there are names that were not on the log i received one day but show up at a later date.is there a way to do this??? gerrior For starters........ You can do this with Advanced Filter and "unique records only" and "copy to another location". For more on this see instructions and graphics at Debra Dalgleish's site. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xladvfilter01.html Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:03:01 -0700, "gerrior" <g...

Payee name variation
While trying to fix a problem I find myself going through my list of Payee name variations and I find entries like: Check 2295 trace #2411538 Check 2296 trace #2411542 Check 2297 trace #2411551 And then an associated Payee. Is there any way to have Money 2005 exclude entries like this? In microsoft.public.money, Patrick Simonds wrote: >While trying to fix a problem I find myself going through my list of Payee >name variations and I find entries like: > >Check 2295 trace #2411538 >Check 2296 trace #2411542 >Check 2297 trace #2411551 > >And then an associated Pa...

The name could not be resolved #2
Hi! We have Exchnage 2003 Server on a Windows 2003 domain. At the beginning there was no problem with users who access their mailboxes by using Outlook 2003. But now, we have problem with existing users and new users so that they cannot open their mailboxes. There is always the following error message: "The name could not be resolved. The name could not be matched to a name in the address list. " We have checked all what Mocrosoft article describes (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297801) and could not find any configuration problem. How can we fix and...

Return column header
Hello all: I have a spreadsheet that lists a number of items in Col A. Each items needs tasks done to it to make it complete. In Column B I have a status (more on that in a sec) In cols C-H i have a series of tasks. in each row I am going to put the date that the task is complete. example: A B C D E etc Item Status purchase Clean Refurb Engine (help here!) 1/1/10 2/4/10 I would like to return Refurn where (Help here!) is located. This shows me that it is currently in Refurb (...

Hiding columns #4
you can simply highlight the columns, across the column headers) then right click on one of the highlighted comlumns and choose "Hide". If you want to buttonize this. just record the manual process with the macro recorder, create a button and assign the macro you recorder to the button. ...

Extracting names from a database.
In column A I have twenty groups, in Column B ref#, In Column C First Name, In Column D Surname and In Column E the numerical value. The data rows are from 2 to 534. I can find the total and maximum for each group using arrays. 1. What I like is the name of who has the highest value in each group. 2. If they are tied then all the names that are tied maximum. 3. If possible all the names in the group with a value over 2. I hope that this makes sense. Hi try: 1. =INDEX(D2:D534,MATCH(MAX(E2:E534),E2:E534,0)) 2. Try the following array formula: =INDEX($D$2:$D$534,SMALL(IF($E$2:$E$534=MA...

Fields not showing up in columns
I have a field titled PageNumber in a table that is not showing up in my columns, although it is checked in the design view and is not hidden. On the form view I have access to this field and it has all the entries, which would indicate that nothing has been accidentally deleted. What's happened, and how can I fix this so the page number column shows up in the table. The terms you are using and the way you use them are confusing to me. Access has 'fields' in table. Those fields are displayed in columns. When you say 'I have a field titled PageNumber in a t...

Transposing data from columns to rows
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3215780710_1600263 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit Hi, I have cut and pasted a table from an online database into a spreadsheet. It has pasted into one column. How can I format the data so that each entry appears in one row across various columns. Currently I am transposing each entry individually by paste special. Help! I have 300 to do! --B_3215780710_1600263 Content-type: text/html;...

mutiple conditional formating
What's the fomula to say in cell E3... If E3<D3 and todays date is > the date in H3 then... do what ever -- Ro ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Roz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2974 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49465 =IF(AND(E3<D3,TODAY()>H3),result if true,result if false) -- Vito ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Vito's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29182 Vie...

macro to copy columns and paste into another sheet
I have over 120 columns on one sheet and I would like to copy and paste every 3rd column onto another sheet. I started to "record" macro, but was wondering if there was a way to write code for this? so I have something like this: x y z x y z x y z ............................... 1 1 2 3 8 7,etc.. I would like to copy all of the "x" column values onto another sheet. Any solutions? Thanks! ...

How do I change the default display name
When adding a name in the To field of a message the name defaults to displaying the persons name and email address. Is there anyway to change this default display for the entire address book. I know I can change each persons individually but I have 600+ contacts and I would like to change the whole group at once. ...