Conditional Formatting...Please Advise

If I have a row of cells B6:M6
A cell K6 which is "List" validated Yes, No

I would like the full range of cells B6:M6 to become Yellow, when the cell
is set to Yes from the list.

I have experimanted with the "Conditional Formatting" dialogue box, but
can't work out how to do this....I can only get one cell to change to
yellow....that being K6 if I select yes from the list.

Please advise the correct way for me to achieve this objective.
Thanks
0
Dermot (50)

If you choose 'cell value is' in the first drop-down of the CF dialog, then
you can only adjust the current cell's condition.  Instead, say in B6, use
'Formula is' and in the text box =$K$6="Yes".  That should set the CF in B6
as you want.  Then select the rest of your range and Edit > Repeat
Conditional Formatting.

"Dermot" wrote:

> If I have a row of cells B6:M6
> A cell K6 which is "List" validated Yes, No
>
> I would like the full range of cells B6:M6 to become Yellow, when the cell
> is set to Yes from the list.
>
> I have experimanted with the "Conditional Formatting" dialogue box, but
> can't work out how to do this....I can only get one cell to change to
> yellow....that being K6 if I select yes from the list.
>
> Please advise the correct way for me to achieve this objective.
> Thanks
Select cells B6:M6
Format -> Conditional Formatting
Formula equals     =$K$6="YES"
Set the format you want.

"Dermot" <Dermot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I have a row of cells B6:M6
> A cell K6 which is "List" validated Yes, No
>
> I would like the full range of cells B6:M6 to become Yellow, when the cell
> is set to Yes from the list.
>
> I have experimanted with the "Conditional Formatting" dialogue box, but
> can't work out how to do this....I can only get one cell to change to
> yellow....that being K6 if I select yes from the list.
>
> Please advise the correct way for me to achieve this objective.
> Thanks

0
reply6075 (299)
12/28/2005 1:24:16 PM
Select cells B6:M6
Choose Format>Conditional Formatting
 From the first dropdown, choose Formula Is
In the text box, type:  =$K6="Yes"
Click the Format button, and choose Yellow on the Patterns tab.
Click OK, click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
12/28/2005 1:34:40 PM
Thank you for the solution Debra.
This works fine for me.
Using this explanation I have tried unsucessfully to expand on it as
described below.
How do I extend this formula so ................
1. No = Red
2. All cells in column K behave in this manner?

Please advise
Thanks
Dermot

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> Select cells B6:M6
> Choose Format>Conditional Formatting
>  From the first dropdown, choose Formula Is
> In the text box, type:  =$K6="Yes"
> Click the Format button, and choose Yellow on the Patterns tab.
> Click OK, click OK
>
> Dermot wrote:
> > If I have a row of cells B6:M6
> > A cell K6 which is "List" validated Yes, No
> >
> > I would like the full range of cells B6:M6 to become Yellow, when the cell
> > is set to Yes from the list.
> >
> > I have experimanted with the "Conditional Formatting" dialogue box, but
> > can't work out how to do this....I can only get one cell to change to
> > yellow....that being K6 if I select yes from the list.
> >
> > Please advise the correct way for me to achieve this objective.
> > Thanks
>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Dermot (50)
12/28/2005 7:01:07 PM
> How do I extend this formula so ................
> 1. No = Red
> 2. All cells in column K behave in this manner?

One way ..

Assume the range to be cond formatted is B6:M20

Select B6:M20 (with B6 active)

Click Format > Cond Formatting

Make the settings as

Cond1:
Formula is:=$K6="Yes"
Format: Yellow

Click "Add"

Cond2:
Formula is:=$K6="No"
Format: Red

OK out
--
Rgds
Max

demechanik (4694)
12/29/2005 3:40:59 AM
Hi Max,
You resolve one problem for me....I hadn't worked out how to apply two
conditional formats....using the add button.....I don't know how I missed
this...cheers.

Using a range like the one you suggested B6:M6, causes ALL the cells in the
range to change.....I only want the relevant row to change.....to be used as
a visual indication of the clients stage progress...if you know what I mean!

I didn't explain my objective properly Max.
Doing what you suggested conditionally formats all the cells in the range.

What I want to do is........
When I select Yes (or No) in any cell in column K, for example K6, I would
like the range of cells  B6:M6 in that row only to change to the appropriate
colour.

Likewise K8 (Yes / No) would produce formatting on Row range B8:M8.

Do I have to format each row individually. What formula would I use for
this? I thought if I used relative references, I could copy down the
formula...but I don't seem to be able to get this to work.

Please advise.
Thanks
Dermot

"Max" wrote:

> > How do I extend this formula so ................
> > 1. No = Red
> > 2. All cells in column K behave in this manner?
>
> One way ..
>
> Assume the range to be cond formatted is B6:M20
>
> Select B6:M20 (with B6 active)
>
> Click Format > Cond Formatting
>
> Make the settings as
>
> Cond1:
> Formula is:=$K6="Yes"
> Format: Yellow
>
> Click "Add"
>
> Cond2:
> Formula is:=$K6="No"
> Format: Red
>
> OK out
> --
> Rgds
> Max
> xl 97
> ---
> Singapore, GMT+8
> xdemechanik
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Dermot (50)
12/29/2005 1:07:01 PM
> What I want to do is........
> When I select Yes (or No) in any cell in column K, for example K6, I would
> like the range of cells  B6:M6 in that row only to change to the
appropriate
> colour.
> Likewise K8 (Yes / No) would produce formatting on Row range B8:M8.

Yes, implemented correctly, that's exactly how it should have worked.

Did you select the range correctly as per the 1st step ?
> > Select B6:M20 (with B6 active)

The above means select by clicking on B6 first,
then dragging across/down to M20

The CF settings would then be correctly applied for each row
within the range B6:M20 at one go

Here's a sample construct to illustrate:
http://cjoint.com/?mDpCcXfbmG
Dermot_newusers.xls

(contains a screenshot of the selection & CF dialog settings as well)

--
Rgds
Max
> Hi Max,
> You resolve one problem for me....I hadn't worked out how to apply two
> conditional formats....using the add button.....I don't know how I missed
> this...cheers.
>
> Using a range like the one you suggested B6:M6, causes ALL the cells in
the
> range to change.....I only want the relevant row to change.....to be used
as
> a visual indication of the clients stage progress...if you know what I
mean!

> I didn't explain my objective properly Max.
> Doing what you suggested conditionally formats all the cells in the range.
>
> What I want to do is........
> When I select Yes (or No) in any cell in column K, for example K6, I would
> like the range of cells  B6:M6 in that row only to change to the
appropriate
> colour.
>
> Likewise K8 (Yes / No) would produce formatting on Row range B8:M8.
>
> Do I have to format each row individually. What formula would I use for
> this? I thought if I used relative references, I could copy down the
> formula...but I don't seem to be able to get this to work.
>
> Please advise.
> Thanks
> Dermot

0
demechanik (4694)
12/29/2005 2:33:48 PM
Thank you again Max.....

I don't know how I managed but I used two absolute references $K$6 instead of
=$K6="YES".

Have a good new year

Dermot

"Max" wrote:

> > What I want to do is........
> > When I select Yes (or No) in any cell in column K, for example K6, I would
> > like the range of cells  B6:M6 in that row only to change to the
> appropriate
> > colour.
> > Likewise K8 (Yes / No) would produce formatting on Row range B8:M8.
>
> Yes, implemented correctly, that's exactly how it should have worked.
>
> Did you select the range correctly as per the 1st step ?
> > > Select B6:M20 (with B6 active)
>
> The above means select by clicking on B6 first,
> then dragging across/down to M20
>
> The CF settings would then be correctly applied for each row
> within the range B6:M20 at one go
>
> Here's a sample construct to illustrate:
> http://cjoint.com/?mDpCcXfbmG
> Dermot_newusers.xls
>
> (contains a screenshot of the selection & CF dialog settings as well)
>
> --
> Rgds
> Max
> xl 97
> ---
> Singapore, GMT+8
> xdemechanik
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> --
> "Dermot" <Dermot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Max,
> > You resolve one problem for me....I hadn't worked out how to apply two
> > conditional formats....using the add button.....I don't know how I missed
> > this...cheers.
> >
> > Using a range like the one you suggested B6:M6, causes ALL the cells in
> the
> > range to change.....I only want the relevant row to change.....to be used
> as
> > a visual indication of the clients stage progress...if you know what I
> mean!
> >
> > I didn't explain my objective properly Max.
> > Doing what you suggested conditionally formats all the cells in the range.
> >
> > What I want to do is........
> > When I select Yes (or No) in any cell in column K, for example K6, I would
> > like the range of cells  B6:M6 in that row only to change to the
> appropriate
> > colour.
> >
> > Likewise K8 (Yes / No) would produce formatting on Row range B8:M8.
> >
> > Do I have to format each row individually. What formula would I use for
> > this? I thought if I used relative references, I could copy down the
> > formula...but I don't seem to be able to get this to work.
> >
> > Please advise.
> > Thanks
> > Dermot

0
Dermot (50)
12/29/2005 7:59:02 PM
Oh, thanks for the download that was good cheers.

"Dermot" wrote:

> Thank you again Max.....
>
> I don't know how I managed but I used two absolute references $K$6 instead of
> =$K6="YES".
>
> Have a good new year
>
> Dermot
>
> "Max" wrote:
>
> > > What I want to do is........
> > > When I select Yes (or No) in any cell in column K, for example K6, I would
> > > like the range of cells  B6:M6 in that row only to change to the
> > appropriate
> > > colour.
> > > Likewise K8 (Yes / No) would produce formatting on Row range B8:M8.
> >
> > Yes, implemented correctly, that's exactly how it should have worked.
> >
> > Did you select the range correctly as per the 1st step ?
> >
> > The above means select by clicking on B6 first,
> > then dragging across/down to M20
> >
> > The CF settings would then be correctly applied for each row
> > within the range B6:M20 at one go
> >
> > Here's a sample construct to illustrate:
> > http://cjoint.com/?mDpCcXfbmG
> > Dermot_newusers.xls
> >
> > (contains a screenshot of the selection & CF dialog settings as well)
> >
> > --
> > Rgds
> > Max
> > xl 97
> > ---
> > Singapore, GMT+8
> > xdemechanik
> > http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> > --
> > "Dermot" <Dermot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Max,
> > > You resolve one problem for me....I hadn't worked out how to apply two
> > > conditional formats....using the add button.....I don't know how I missed
> > > this...cheers.
> > >
> > > Using a range like the one you suggested B6:M6, causes ALL the cells in
> > the
> > > range to change.....I only want the relevant row to change.....to be used
> > as
> > > a visual indication of the clients stage progress...if you know what I
> > mean!
> > >
> > > I didn't explain my objective properly Max.
> > > Doing what you suggested conditionally formats all the cells in the range.
> > >
> > > What I want to do is........
> > > When I select Yes (or No) in any cell in column K, for example K6, I would
> > > like the range of cells  B6:M6 in that row only to change to the
> > appropriate
> > > colour.
> > >
> > > Likewise K8 (Yes / No) would produce formatting on Row range B8:M8.
> > >
> > > Do I have to format each row individually. What formula would I use for
> > > this? I thought if I used relative references, I could copy down the
> > > formula...but I don't seem to be able to get this to work.
> > >
> > > Please advise.
> > > Thanks
> > > Dermot

0
Dermot (50)
12/29/2005 8:05:02 PM
You're welcome, Dermot.
Glad it helped and you finally got it working right !
--
Rgds
Max
> Oh, thanks for the download that was good cheers.
>
> "Dermot" wrote:
>
> > Thank you again Max.....
> >
> > I don't know how I managed but I used two absolute references $K$6
instead of
> > =$K6="YES".
> >
> > Have a good new year

0
demechanik (4694)

Addiction with conditions
I'm a Excel newbie. And i also don't speak wery well english! :( Sorry. This is my question: I want to made an addiction between some numbers, but i want to declar a condition. There is a function to do this, in italian is "SOMMA.SE" i thik i inglish is somethig similar: addiction.if But the thing that i want is that the conditions are the differen colors of the cells. I hope that someone has comprised to me in my explanation. Thank you! Sergio ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages...

Vlookup with If condition
A1 A2 A3 1 3 4 2 5 6 3 6 3 4 7 8 5 3 2 6 2 1 7 3 9 I am trying to find a combination formula that looks at column A2 for a specific value from another cell (say the cell value is 3 in this case). If column A2 though contains the value "3" as this examples shows, I want to look at column A3 just for the rows containing "3" in column A2 and return the value found in column A1 for the largest value found in A3 for that same row. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help. Try using thi...

Number formats and fields
Hi All! I have a list of equations in a word document that I need to add a reference (the first equation in the document will be equation A, the second will be equation B, etc). So I need a numbering field. However, when I get to equation 28 I want the format to be AB, then 29 to be AC, not BB, CC like the default A, B, C… numbering gives you. However, I will be adding other equations randomly throughout the document and referring to the equation reference in text paragraphs, so I would like them to auto update when I add another equation in the middle of the document. Doe...

date format conversion
I have a date of 1/5/2006, it needs to be 01/05/2006. I ma having a hard time getting hte leading 0's where needed. Appreciate any help! -- Buck That sounds like a matter of FORMAT. The date itself, as 'numerical' value sounds fine. You can force a format (to display a STRING that represents a date, but *is* a string, not a date_time value) with the use of Format function: ? Format( #1/2/3# , "mm\/dd\/yyyy") 01/02/2003 Hoping it may help, Vanderghast, Access MVP "buckpeace" <buckpeace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01C568...

Excel cell format #2
how can i display preceding zeros in excel without formatting as text? In article <5CBDC357-B0B2-49C2-906C-73E94C6172B9@microsoft.com>, "rockfam8" <rockfam8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > how can i display preceding zeros in excel without formatting as text? Precede your entry with an apostrophe. For example... '012345 Hope this helps! Or give it a custom format like 00000 (as many 0's as you need) rockfam8 wrote: > > how can i display preceding zeros in excel without formatting as text? -- Dave Peterson ...

Different formats within the same cell
Hello, i want to enter a word in a cell but only have one of the letter fomatted bold, eg - "wo*r*d" Is this possible -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Yes. Enter your word into the cell, go to the formulae bar, highlight th letter you want to have in bold and then click on the bold icon. This will format just that letter to bold -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com sure. Just edit the word>highlight the letter(s) and change the font,bold,color etc. will NOT work withing a formula. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "...

Formatting a date in client report
How do I format a date field in a client side Microsoft report (rdlc)? I'm using VS2008, 9.0.30729.1 sp Windows forms project. Unformatted, the dates in my report are displayed like this: 11/19/09 00:00:00 I want to display just the date, not the zeroes. If I enter an expression in the value property for the report textbox like this: =Format(Fields!StartDate.Value, "D") (as shown in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms251668.aspx) the report will display "D" instead of the formatted date. The same thing happens with other format string...

Need immediate help with Access to Outlook Please
This is my 3rd request.... Please, thank you.... I went through a windows update and was asked to reboot which I did. I had Outlook open and closed it before rebooting - it was opened to contacts. when I tried to access Outlook I got an error message saying "your personal address book could not be opened. the file is either not accessible or not a personal address book. choose retry to access your personal address book, or choose cancel to not open your personal address book with this application." I have no other application to open this address book with! my contac...

Re: Count "hours", as 1 each? Example attached....Please Help!
I am totally stumped... I would like if possible to count how many hours each employee worked, from a pivot table. I have already captured how many scans each employee did, just need to get a count of total number of hours each worker worked. ( Productivity report ) Example: a b c d e f g H 1 employee 8 AM 9AM 10AM 11AM 12PM 1PM TOTAL 2 3 BOB 40 49 50 55 80 274 4 NANCY 50 60 50 100 30 290 5 SUE 25 20 20 20 85 blank cells are when the worker scanned ...

File Formate
I have five Excel files which contain the records of my previous 4 years Business matters. Suddenly yesterday when I opned one of my files I received the following messege. --------------------------------------- The file is not in recognizable formate. if you know the file is from another program which is incompatible with Microsoft Excel, click Cancel, then open the file in its original application. If you want to open the file later in Microsoft Excel, save it in a format that is compatible, such as text format. If you suspect the file is damaged, click help for more information about...

Exporting auto format
I am exporting from Access to an Excel spreadsheet but I cant seem to stop the auto conversion that takes place. When I open the Excel spreadsheet the data is all different. E.g. I have a fund number of "8E0" and the cell shows 8 and not the correct data. It's fustrating for the datatype in Access is text and should stay the same in Excel. The version I have in Access and Excel is 2002 SP-2 Any Ideas how to stop the auto conversion? I can do it by cut/paste of the query but I am trying to export via the report output itself to Excel. Thanks --- Message posted from http://www...

I need complete idiot proof excel setup database help. please
I need to learn all about Excel and how to make a database.. I have read and read and done practise tutorials but I just cannot grasp the concept, it completely goes over my head everytime. I am quick to learn when I am being shown or told exactly what to do, can anyone help me learn all about Excel.. ? The first thing you need to know is that Excel is not a database application, and while it is commonly used for databases, it doesn't do them well. Expecting a database developed in XL to be "complete idiot proof" is setting yourself up for disaster. Without knowing any...

formatted values from single equation
I would really like to have a Excel spreadsheet with two worksheets, the first sheet has raw data (16 across, 100's down) and what I would like to do on the second sheet is add to the first row, 16 equations (lets say for now y=x). then underneath this the formatted data where x is cell A1 on the first worksheet and y is on the second worksheet. Obviously you would just normally in each cell on worksheet 2 type the equation in (='worksheet1'!A1), but I would like to show people the equation being used. Is this possible, does this message make any sense?? Nice -- mr_nice! ---...

Formating in a Report, the highest 3 records
How do i can format the hightes 3 records on an Access Report? Unfortunately the Access doesn't have the Excel have the function "Large"... Can you help me? Look in Access Help for "TOP". HTH -- -Larry- -- "Luis Marques" <Luis Marques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F467B234-EA95-4F79-91B0-EDC12E61FD00@microsoft.com... > How do i can format the hightes 3 records on an Access Report? > > Unfortunately the Access doesn't have the Excel have the function "Large"... > > Can you help me? Try writing your ...

OT
Our apologies at the outset for this off-topic post but: Can anyone kindly point us in the right direction to find info about: 1. Hardware (Mac/IBM-PC/other) used by Hollywood and other TV and movie studios. 2. Editing software (Adobe Premiere/Apple FinalCut/other) used by Hollywood and other TV and movie studios. Regards and thanks in anticipation. Apologies again for posting here. Avatar ------- www.google.com "Avatar" <avatar@re.birth> wrote in message news:OmgXLby1KHA.364@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... : Our apologies at the outset for this off-topi...

Outlook 2003 HTML formatting problem
After upgrading clients to Outlook 2003 we've started to experience a strange problem with emails formatted in HTML. The scenario goes like this. 1. A local user creates an HTML formatted email and sends it to an external recipient. 2. The external recipient replies to the original message. 3. Originator replies to the reply 4. The external recipient receives the HTML formatted email with portions of the text grossly enlarged. 5. Upon review, it would appear that the external HTML client dropped a (.) changing the font size from 10.0 to 100 causing the enlarged text. Editing the HT...

help: convert ms access from FAT format to NT format
I need help on converting Microsoft access from win98 FAT format to WinXP home NT access format. I recently bought an off-lease IBM for $299, loaded with winXP home and office 2000. I activated it and thought I could easily convert my win98 office 2000 access files. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. It kept telling me it couldn't convert the old files I copied form win98 HD. Please help. As Joseph explained elsewhere, this makes absolutely no sense. What version of Access was used to produce the old files. What did you do to get them onto your new machine? How are you ...

Excel Date Format of MMM/YY
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel When I enter a date in the format of MMM/YY it saves ok but if you then look in tools and calculator I have found that it creates a formula of 2004 and when you copy this over to a Windows based PC it displays incorrect dates. How do I turn off this apparent formula creation. I live in UK and have settings to UK Don't let the info in the Calculator mislead you. It's simply confirming that the workbook you're in is employing the 1904 Date System which is the default in Mac Excel. Dates in Mac Exce...

Please help!
Hello to all! I recently installed CRM 3.0 professional edition on Windows 2003 server standard edition. Now my manager wants to have sample database Adventure Works on the same server. How can I install Adventure works on already installed CRM 3.0 ? Or I have to reinstall whole CRM ? If yes, how can I specify during the installation that I need sample database to be installed ? This is really urgent question, and any help will be highly appreciated! thank you!!! Ozz, The AdventureWorks sample db isn't so much "installed" as it's run. It's an ..exe which you run...

vbs with conditions
Hello there, I need to create a vbs script that will do the following: Will check if certain application is installed, by checking if the following key is exists: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\visio viewer_v2003 If exist, the scripts ends. If not exist, will install an application from a network share: \\servername\sharename\setup.exe Any help will be appreciated. Thank you Amir :) "Amir" <Amir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE109F90-96B8-4E17-937A-45672F638395@microsoft.com... &...

Reference Cell in custom format????
I am trying to reference another cell in the custom format area. how it is seet up currently, I have a column (A) that will have the quantity, column (B) has the unit of the quantity, and column (C) has the unit price, followed by column (D) that will have the total cost of the object (i.e. column A * C = D) I am trying to have column C set up so all I have to do is type the unit price but the custom format of the cell will change the value to include the label that is in the column next to it (B).......currently for examples sake, I am trying to set the unit price to 50, and the unit o...

Custom currency formats
Two questions. 1) I have two PC running Excel 2002, call them Old and New. I am phasing out Old and it has Excel 2002 while New has Excel 2002 SR2. If on the Old machine I use Format|Cells, Currency then the Symbol box includes Francs (French). This and all the 'old' currencies of EU countries that have adopted the euro are missing in Excel 2002 SR2 on the New machine. Did they go with SR1 or SR2? 2) I know how to make a custom format for, say francs using #,##0.00 "F". But in an experiment I took a file from Old with a cell displaying 123.56 F and opened in New. It displaye...

conditional formatting by groups
I have some groups and I want each group to have different color(not necessarily distinct). thanks. I'm sure it can be done but how will Excel know which cells are associated with which group? More detail please. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 10:12:29 +0900, kang <kang@hao.com> wrote: >I have some groups and I want each group to have different color(not >necessarily distinct). > >thanks. ...

copy with format
I have a sheet with various formattings (background and text colored, large and small texts, borders etc.). When I copy and paste it into another sheet I get the text only and all formattings are lost. Paste special has only text and unicode. Is there any way to copy everything? Thanks Horst Do you want to copy to a brand new sheet or an existing sheet? To a brand new sheet, I use edit > move or copy sheet and then tick = create a copy. This way I get all the formatting. To an existing sheet, I do copy and paste and I get the formatting as = well. If I do paste special, then I don...

New Outlook PST format
I've heard that Outlook 2003 can save in a new format so that the PST file can be greater than 2GBytes. What if the old-format PST is much less than 2GBytes. Should one still switch? Are there any other advantages in switching to the new format? THe newer format is also generally more stable.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 &quo...