Coloring of cell when entering data

I have to input client's last and first names ( 2 different columns).  I want
to be able to type the last name and each cell in the last name column will
change color automatically when I type. I know how to color the whole column
but not this method. A coworker was able to do it but she left and I can't
ask her. Hope I made sense, if someone could guide me I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
0
Qisme615 (2)

Sounds like a Conditional Formatting task
Suppose the 'test name' goes in A1; and your data is in A2:B2000 (surname in
A)
Select A2:A2000 (or A2:B2000)
Use Format | Conditional Formatting
In dialog, use Formula Is; =A2=$A$1, click Format button on dialog, open
Pattern tab and select colour as needed
best wishes

--
Bernard Liengme
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

"Qisme615" <Qisme615@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have to input client's last and first names ( 2 different columns).  I
>want
> to be able to type the last name and each cell in the last name column
> will
> change color automatically when I type. I know how to color the whole
> column
> but not this method. A coworker was able to do it but she left and I can't
> ask her. Hope I made sense, if someone could guide me I would appreciate
> it.
>
> Thank you.

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
8/6/2007 7:41:08 PM
Let's assume the data you are searching for in cell A1 and your column of
data is in column B

Use the conditional formatting formula:
=AND($A$1<>"",LEFT(B1,LEN($A$1))=$A$1)    and choose whatever format you
want

Regards

Trevor

"Qisme615" <Qisme615@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have to input client's last and first names ( 2 different columns).  I
>want
> to be able to type the last name and each cell in the last name column
> will
> change color automatically when I type. I know how to color the whole
> column
> but not this method. A coworker was able to do it but she left and I can't
> ask her. Hope I made sense, if someone could guide me I would appreciate
> it.
>
> Thank you.

0
Trevor9259 (673)
8/6/2007 7:46:44 PM
Select last name column..........B for example.

Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is:

=ISTEXT($B1)

Format to a color and OK your way out.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 11:32:12 -0700, Qisme615 <Qisme615@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have to input client's last and first names ( 2 different columns).  I want
>to be able to type the last name and each cell in the last name column will
>change color automatically when I type. I know how to color the whole column
>but not this method. A coworker was able to do it but she left and I can't
>ask her. Hope I made sense, if someone could guide me I would appreciate it.
>
>Thank you.

0
Gord
8/6/2007 8:07:12 PM
Thank you everyone. It worked. Woohoo! Thank you again!
0
Qisme615 (2)

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

how to match the color of a button with its background?
Hi, I have a owner draw push button. I associate it with two bitmaps, one is down and the other is up. Is there a way to make the bitmaps's background color match the color of the window where the button is located. I manually choose the best matched color but still the result is not good. I can even see a white border line (not drawn by me) when the button is pushed. Please help. Thanks. Tony Check out http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vcresed/html/_asug_choosing_an_opaque_or_transparent_background.asp May Young <tony@srac.com> wrote in message news:<408473...

Single click selects multiple cells

Referencing cells across sheets

How to unlock locked cells by MACRO?!

Customer check data

Macro to seperate data

Need HELP! for Linking data

Macro

macros entering data

find data and autopaste when found

Disappearing data in sync'd forms

Entering More than 15 numbers
I'm trying to import numbers that are 25 characters in length. When I do this (or even if I enter over the 15 character limit) I get an overflow number. How do I enter or import numbers greater than 15 digits and have it display the entire number. I am using Office XP. precede with an apostrophe to get text, Excel's limit for numbers is 15 digits precision -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:308101c428be$93500a10$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I'm trying to import numbers that are 25 characters in > lengt...

Calculating Subsets of Data
I have data for records that can span between 1 to 16 months.. I want to be able to calculate the average activity for the most recent six months in a query and be able to display that in a report. I can create the calculation in the query for the entire duration of months for each record but am stuck on how to have it choose only the most recent six months of data to do the calculation and understand that the six months may really only be between 1 to 6 months of data.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..My skill level is somewhere between meatball surgeon and ki...