clearing a cell

I'm trying to put the date in a single cell but another number is popping up
when i click enter.  How can I get the date to stay and not that other number?
0
ahegg (1)

What date and what number?

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------
------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------

"ahegg" <ahegg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to put the date in a single cell but another number is popping
> up
> when i click enter.  How can I get the date to stay and not that other
> number?

0
ken.wright (2489)
3/31/2006 7:55:18 PM
Select the cell with the number, click FORMAT on the menu and select CELLS.
Click the Number tab and from the CATEGORY panel select DATE and then to the
right of that in the TYPE panel select the date display you want to use.
--
Kevin Backmann

"ahegg" wrote:

> I'm trying to put the date in a single cell but another number is popping up
> when i click enter.  How can I get the date to stay and not that other number?
0
kbackmann (28)

Validating date entry in cells
I have a column set to date format. The cells seem to accept invalid date formats such as '01/01//2009'. The data is not converted to a date value. Other date entries are modified. For example if you enter 01/02, Excel will convert that to 1/1/2009. What's a method to reject invalid dates such as above or 02/30/2009. Have you tried using data validation and requiring dates to be entered? -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt "DocBrown" wrote: > I have a column set to date format. The cells seem to accept invalid date > formats such as '01/01//2009&...

cannot clear clipboard when clipboard appears empty
Hi - I am continually having a problem where, when copy/pasting I receive an error message saying clipboard full, but the clipboard on the toolbar is greyed out and empty and when you try to 'empty clipboard' it just errors 'cannot clear clipboard'. Any ideas please? This has xl97 in the subject, but maybe it applies: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;196620 XL97: "Cannot Empty the Clipboard" Error Message When Dragging Cells Shani wrote: > > Hi - I am continually having a problem where, when copy/pasting I receive an > error mes...

Cell Data
I want to be able to have the same data that is in one cell appear in another cell. For example, I want the data that is in cell B72 to also appear in cell J73. I enter =B72 in cell J73 but nothing changes. The data that is in cell B72 is text that reads 4-1. Please help !!!!!!!!! Clay It should work. Check tools/options /calculation/automatic. >-----Original Message----- >I want to be able to have the same data that is in one >cell appear in another cell. For example, I want the data >that is in cell B72 to also appear in cell J73. I enter >=B72 in cell J73 but n...

how can i get a cell to hold a zero in front of a digit ie. 01 or.
I have tried checking the zero values box but still just takes the zero from the front which I need for the table I am trying to plan. I don't want any decimal points in front You can do it three ways 1) If the 'number' you want to end up with is fixed length, say six characters, then Format>Cells...>Custom>000000 will do it 2) Format the cells as text in advance of entry 3) Prefix with a single apostrophe ('). It will not show but will treat the entry as text -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS ...

Clear Run History
Hello, I want to clear the Run History and find files and computer History of the user.All samples I saw do that by deleting the registery entries which is not reliable way because, -> the registery entries differ from according to Win version. ->Beside that deleting the registery entries doesnot make effect until the user logged off and then on again so his profile is reloaded again from the registery. So, ->Isn't there an API which do this like the one which empty the recycle bin? ->If there is no API how could I force the OS to reload the user settings from the registery....

=if() statement -- test for any text in cell
Hi, I'm trying to convert the following statement . . . =if(A1=______ , "+", "") to . . . a search for any text, that might happen to be in cell A1. I don't know what the best option is for filling in the blank after A1= Thanks So much hor helping me if possible, Jim You could reverse your argument to =IF(A1="","","+") It will depend on whether you expect there to be anything else in the cell. It won't work if there is a number. There will be a way - I just ain't got it yet -- Russell...

Editing Unlocked Cells in Protected Sheet
When I protect a sheet in Excel 2000, and go to an unlocked cell, many of my toolbar buttons are grayed out and can't be used. For example, I cannot underline an unlocked cell. Is there a way to protect a sheet without impacting the ability to edit unlocked cells? Thanks for your help. Larry Hau It's true that you cannot format unlocked cell in Excel 2000 when a worksheet is protected. It's just a limitation or a design decision. I know it's no help but fyi in Excel 2002 protection was fine-tuned to give you greater control over things like this. -- Jim Rech Excel...

Totalling seperate cells from a HLOOKUP function
is it possible to sum the product of 2 or more cells, 1 cell being the result of a HLOOKUP function, without creating a third cell for individual results? Here is my problem: Row A contains a list of different locations Row B contains wether the delivery has failed or completed Row C contains the quantity of items on Invoice Is there a formula I can use to have the total quantity from all of the failed deliveries for that day? As the failed delivery locations may vary from day to day, I cannot just total those cells from each location I have tried this formula, but it re...

Formatting Cell Text #2
I have a spreadsheet that contains about 61 pages of information. Each row is 1 cell that we've made larger to accomidate an address being centered in the cell using spaces and word wrap. In Excel 2000 it was fine. We've upgraded to Excel 2003 and now the formatting is lost. The cell shows the text all over the place kind of like it is taking the spaces as text entry and without manually going into each cell and backspacing we can't get it to line up. Is there some option that we don't have ticked or did the upgrade change the formatting of the cell someway? In 20...

The cell currently being evaluated contains a constant
I have a Workbook containing 3 worksheets and am running 2 "VLOOKUP" columns from 1 worksheet referencing the other 2. My formulas are '=VLOOKUP(A155,Sheet3!$A$1:$G$440,4,FALSE)' this gives me the correct answer, and '=VLOOKUP(A155,Sheet2!$A$2:$F$402,4,FALSE)' this gives me an incorrect answer. I have verified the data is in the relevant worksheet, however i get the result of #N/A for the second formula. I have copied and pasted all data, as values only, into a new spreadsheet and still get the same result. I am starting to go crazy working this out. ...

Transacation logs not clearing when running NTBackup
I am having a problem with transaction logs in Exchange Server 2003 not clearing. I have tried doing a full backup and also incremental backups. It doesn't matter which backup type the transaction logs don't clear. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am backing up to disk. On Tue, 9 May 2006 09:53:02 -0700, Kyle Cunningham <Kyle Cunningham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am having a problem with transaction logs in Exchange Server 2003 not >clearing. I have tried doing a full backup and also incremental backups. It >doesn't matter which backup type ...

Macro to return to original cell
I have an xl2003 workbook that is rather complex. I would like to have a "Help" button on the main worksheet, worksheet "A", that would would go to another worksheet named "Help", which would contain other buttons linking to different Help topics on worksheet "Help". When the user is finished getting help, i would like to have another button that would, when selected, take the user from where ever he was on he "Help" worksheet, back to the cell they were at on worksheet "A". I would surely appreciate some "help" on th...

Copy Only Visible Cell
Hi Everyone, Is it posible to copy a block of cels with combined hidden collumn and row to another sheet or cells without those hidden field to be copied ? When i try to copy this kind of cells to another sheets/cells, excel copy all cells including the hidden cells. I just want to copy cels that is visible not including those hidden cells, Is there a way around this ? Thanks in Advance Hi Robert, Select the desired range. Click Edit - Go To. Click Special then select Visible Cells Only then OK. Copy the selected range. David In article <1125983768.158532.315240@g44g2000cwa.goog...

Sumproduct where cell values are the same in a sorted column
In cell C2 I have the following formula that works fine for what I need it for. =SUMPRODUCT(($L1:$L23<$B1)*($M1:$M23<=$A$1)*($L13:$L23>=$K1)) In the cells in column J i have a list of numbers that are the same in the following different ranges as follows J2:J23 = 123456 J24:J30 = 123457 J31 = 123458 J32:J33 = 123459 etc. I copy the formula in cell C2 down the column and then I have to manually change the range in the formula to match the ranges of other columns. So the following cells will have the following formulas in. The rest of the cells in the range are ...

value for a cell
Hi, I have one excel sheet the value for which is displaying is 192.32 bu cell value for it =RONE. I am unable to link the value wih 192.32 wit the name RONE. Is it a variable or something? PLease help out in thi regard? Ashis -- ashishpre ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ashishprem's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3148 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=57406 Ashish, It is probably a name. Goto Insert>Name>Define... and see if it is in that list. -- HTH Bob Phi...

change cell link in combox box dynamically
I am using combox box with cell link as A1. I then make a copy of the row. The new combox box's cell link still is A1. How do I change it to where the new row is? thank You'd either have to do it manually or have a macro do the work (maybe the insert, too??). But it might be easier using Data|Validation. It kind of works like that combobox and it's lots easier to implement. Debra Dalgleish has tons of tips and hints at: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Kate Yang wrote: > > I am using combox box with cell link as A1. I then make a copy of the row. > The ...

restrict view of certain cells in excel
I am trying to restrict access to some users in excel. I am trying to make it so those that do not have the password can view the sheet "read only" but cannot view certain cells. Those that do have the password can view all cells. Perhaps save as 2 Workspaces? http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/save-as-workspace.htm -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Firemann25" <Firemann25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA92F134-6CDD-438A-85A8-473AC0F4D57B@microsoft.com... >I am trying to restrict access to some users in excel. I am tryi...

Extracting a number from a mixed cell
Excel 2003 What is the smartest way to extract a number from a cell that has mixed information? Examples: (a column of cells can contain) 7980KWH 7,980 Kilowatt Hours ..8MCF .8 (thousand Cubic Feet) FLAT Flat rate Is there an array formula or something that will separate the numbers from the text? As you can see the numbers positions vary (or are absent) per cell. I have been experimenting with Find(), OR(), Search(), Mid(), but o no avail. TIA Dennis Hi if your numbers always start at the beginning of a cell you may use the following array formula (entered with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER): ...

Multiply Cell Values which include text units
I have a formula in cell G13 that shows "=B13*C13". Is there a way that i can multiply cell B13 which has a number format and reads "61 Units" to cell C13 which has a currency format and contains "34.23 / Ea" to get a value of $2,088.03 shown in cell G13? I don't know if I can show text in the cell that is being referenced in a formula. Can you show text in a cell that is being referenced in a formula without receiving the "#value!" in the formula cell? Thanks. Try =SUBSTITUTE(B13," Units","")*SUBSTITUTE(C13...

Excel Cell Dropdown
While we are entering data in to EXCEL, excel is giving us hint some time if typed data is already before in same column, how ever it's not work with so much consitancy that every time we will get hint while typing. also it's not true for numbers we never get such hint. *I am looking for general solution so we always get hint even if database is much bigger millions of data, so never need to type again all names & account number which are already there * -- smd111 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ smd111's Profile: http://www.excelfor...

Maintaining cell references when inserting cells elsewhere
I've got a problem that I can't seem to find mentioned elsewhere. I have created a spreadsheet so that I can compare the contents of 2 separate databases - one an export of rows from an Access database, and the other selected cells from another spreadsheet, sorted using the same criteria. There are some differences between the 2 and I want to flag where the different values are. I have the "database" cells in columns A to K (about 9500 rows) and the "spreadsheet" cells in columns S to AD. I'll refer to these as the Left side and the Right side. In the mi...

Save As File Name from Cell?
Is there any way of automatically generating a (Save As) file name from the contents of a cell? Jeff Hi, Yes you can, as example, the VBA would be: Sub Macro1() ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\" & Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value & ".xls" End Sub -- Two heads are better than one! Email: subst1tut3 numb3rs for l3tt3rs... "Jeff Granger" wrote: > Is there any way of automatically generating a (Save As) file name from the > contents of a cell? > > Jeff > > > Thanks Jon "Jon von de...

Sales Tax Clears When Using Set Customer
We recently started tracking sales to customers. When we select a customer and scan the items, all of the sales tax checkboxes are off and we have to manually turn each item on again. I cannot find an option to correct this. This is inefficient and risky if clerks forget to collect the tax. Any ideas??? Thanks! If you are not basing tax on customer info (i.e. tax by customer zip or state), then you likely do not have the tax assigned to each taxable line item. Have you checked your items to make sure there is tax assigned? To quickly check if an item is taxable, begin SO Mgr> Da...

Adding Rows and copying cells
I'm a new Excel user. I'm trying to insert a row and copy a cell to the cell directly below it. This happens at various locations through the sheet so I need it to Paste directly below labeled cell. CALC is the labeled Column and INROWB1 is the labeled Row Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown, CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromLeftOrAbove Range("CALC INROWB1").Select Selection.Copy Range("CALC INROWB1+1").Select ActiveSheet.Paste There has obvously got to be an better way than this... any ideas. thanks. > There has obvously got to be an better...

Build a formula from contents of other cells?
Greetings I don't think it is possible to do the following: cell A1 contains: =Sheet2! cell A2 contains: G cell A3 contains: 3 cell A4 contains: +A1+A2+A3 to produce the formula '=Sheet2!G3' But is there another way to achieve this so that I can regularly change many formulas by changing the contents of one cell? thanks Dan Dan Put sheet2! in A1, G in A2 and 3 in A3 and in A4 the formula =INDIRECT(A1&A2&A3) Tony >-----Original Message----- >Greetings > >I don't think it is possible to do the following: > >cell A1 contains: =Sheet2! >cel...