Checking for duplication on rows

Hello,

In a particular spreadsheet, I would like to verify if the same name is
listed on multiple rows.  The name is entered in multiple columns on the
same row, that is acceptable, but I would like to know if the name is
entered on multiple rows regardless of the column.  How can I check
this?

THANKS,
karmen

--
Karmen
Karmen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30972

Presume you're checking some specific names ?
One way to quickly check is to use autofilter (Data > Filter > Autofilter)
Select "Custom" from the droplist, then enter/paste the specific name > OK
Then reset the droplist to "(All)", repeat the check for each col concerned
--
Max
Singapore

> Hello,
>
> In a particular spreadsheet, I would like to verify if the same name is
> listed on multiple rows.  The name is entered in multiple columns on the
> same row, that is acceptable, but I would like to know if the name is
> entered on multiple rows regardless of the column.  How can I check
> this?
>
> THANKS,
> karmen
>

> --
> Karmen
> Karmen's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30972
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=509495

0
demechanik (4694)
2/8/2006 2:09:40 AM
Karmen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In a particular spreadsheet, I would like to verify if the same name is
> listed on multiple rows.  The name is entered in multiple columns on the
> same row, that is acceptable, but I would like to know if the name is
> entered on multiple rows regardless of the column.  How can I check
> this?
>
> THANKS,
> karmen

Try using COUNTIF(...) > 1 as a test.

You can change the ranges in my example to match what you need.

Lets make the following assumptions
A1:D20 contains your data
Column A contains the names you want to check for duplicates
Column E will contain TRUE for duplicates

The following will work for single column to be checked.
Enter this in E1 and copy down to E20
=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$20,A1)>1

In your case you may need something like this.
Enter this in E1 and copy down to E20
=COUNTIF($A$1:$D$20,A1)>COUNTIF($A1:$D1,A1)
This checks the whole range count versus the current row count
Simple but effective.

Hope it helps
George
0
bytesmee (15)

Automatic spell checking lost
Using Outlook 2003 on many systems. All but one automatically checks the spelling and corrects it. I have looked at all settings and they are correct. I have done a repair and still have the problem. Any thoughts - should I remove and reinstall? Any ideals on this? "John Leonard - Sage" <sagegrp@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:O%23NkunCkEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Using Outlook 2003 on many systems. All but one automatically checks the > spelling and corrects it. > > I have looked at all settings and they are correct. I have done a repair > ...

getting info from array but not using column / row numbers
i need to get info from table: Dist / Age 12 13 14 15 100 1.4 2.0 3.0 4.0 200 1.3 2.1 3.1 4.2 300 1.5 2.2 3.2 4.4 400 1.6 2.3 3.4 3.4 So, if i needed to get data for a 14 year old where distance is 300, I need to search both row and column labels to get required row and column numbers in order to retrieve data - in this case 3.2 Any ideas? I can put absolute row and column numbers in, e.g. 3,3 but i need to search labels first based upon contents of another cells (in this case 14 and 300). Assistance greatfully rec...

How can I combine data that is in 2 rows to 1 row
Hello I have a file that has only 1 data point (name of an institution) in row 1 column 1 and then multiple data points (city of the institution and other results) in row 2 column 1-7. I would like to combine the data in consecutive rows into 1 so I can work (sort results in different columns) with the data. As you can imagine the file has 2000 rows but the data addresses only 1000 institutions. I Would appreciate any help thanks albert explained : > Hello > > I have a file that has only 1 data point (name of an institution) in row 1 > column 1 and then multiple data points...

Assign a Value to a Duplicate Entry Within the Same Column
Within a single worksheet I have thousand-plus rows of data and one of the columns within that worksheet I have a series of numbers. After I've identified the duplicates within that column I want to assign a value based on the first time that number shows up (in this case by I'v sorted by date), so the first duplicate would have a value like "1." I then want to assign the next duplicate(s) sequentially (2, 3, 4, etc.) When finished I would want a new column of data that would have far more "1s" than "2s," more "2s" than "3s,"...

Check for more than 2 decimal places
I'm look for a macro that will check the number of decimal places in a range of values. I would like to have a pop up box alert the user when a cell is found in that range that contains more than 3 decimal places. For example if the numbers in a range are 50.35, 25.2, 35.235, and 35, the macro would stop on that cell and deliver a pop up box showing me that it contains more than 3 decimal places. I can create an excel formula to check the information: =if(B2<>trunc(b2,2,"error",B2) however I don't know enough VBA to get this fomula into a macro to check a range....

Adding the # of rows, not the contents...
On my sub-totals row, most of the columns are just added together for a sum figure. However, can I have a particular column tally how many columns it is counting? Specifically, I have a column for customer's names. I just want the subtotal bar to display how many customers there are in the column above it. Thanks! Jacob, Try changing the 'sum' function in the subtotal bar to 'count'. Or add a formula, for example if the customers are listed in Column A, then in any empty cell enter the formula =count(A:A) Charlie O'Neill "jacob farino" <jfarino@mind...

Check Box #4
Does anyone know of a way to convert a cell to a check box? We would like to convert the cell rather than using the active X controls on top of it. Thanks. You could double-click the cell and "convert" it to a=20 checkbox: Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target _ As Range, Cancel As Boolean) With ActiveCell .Value =3D "=FC" .Font.Name =3D "Wingdings" .Borders(xlEdgeLeft).LineStyle =3D xlContinuous .Borders(xlEdgeTop).LineStyle =3D xlContinuous .Borders(xlEdgeBottom).LineStyle =3D xlContinuous .Borders(xlEdgeRight).LineSt...

Checking a forms fields for null
Hi All, I can think of a few ways to accomplish this, but would like to know of a better way. just like when you fill out forms on the web if the field is mandatory it pops up a msg say somthing like "This field isn't optional" if it is left blank. What is the best way to do this in access on a form? I'm using now: if ISNull(myFeild1) then msgbox"Please fill in myFeild1" end if If ISNull(myFeild2) then msgbox"Please fill in myFeild2" end if if ISNull(myFeild3) then msgbox"Please fill in myFeild3" end if I use s...

Check the security update from MS Corp.
--wadrggrtzyh Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="ipwfliboy"; type="multipart/alternative" --ipwfliboy Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="adodlupkrh" --adodlupkrh Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to help maintai...

Using a Check Box in a Subform to select records
I have a Form with a subform and two combo field are used to filter for records in the subform. The records in the subform have a bound check box. When I check one record on the subform and then move my forcus off the subform, every record becomes checked. Any suggestions? Thanks Are you sure the check box is a bound control? The behaviour you are getting suggests that its more likely to be unbound. What does it say in the control's ControlSource property in its properties sheet? If it is bound to a column in the underlying recordset then the behaviour could be explained by ...

Deposit vs Check
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make money put a deposit before a check number on the same date. My payroll goes in on Friday and I write checks that day. Money makes it look like I am negative because money puts checks before deposits. Any help would be great. ewingerter | 2009-05-23 | 7:56:01 PM wrote: >Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make money put a deposit >before a check number on the same date. My payroll goes in on Friday >and I write checks that day. Money makes it look like I am negative >because money puts checks before deposits. Any help would be gr...

A unique document number could not be found. Please check setup
has anyone come across this message Is this when creating a new transaction? It's possible that you've 'run out' of numbers....what does the module setup say? If you have something like ABC99999, it may not be able to go to ABC100000 without manual intervention. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html "rcr" <rcr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:642E314C-DFEF-48C9-BD37-EB047270430E@microsoft.com... > has anyone come across this message Victoria has one ...

Find duplicate cells
Is there a way to find all the cells with identical entry? I'm trying to find duplicate information but I don't know what the duplicate entries are. Find and replace does not have an option to find something like that. TIA, cpliu Hi have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#TaggingDuplicates http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#HighlightingDuplicates -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "cpliu" <chanciusliuDeleteThis@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Xns94A16109E4C87chanciusliuDeleteThi@130.133.1.4... > Is there a way to fi...

how do I assign a variable to a check box or radio control?
I need to assign the value of a radio control or check box when clicked on to a variable, preferably using the SetTemVar macro. Use the AfterUpdate of the control (if it's a stand-alone control), or of the option group (if it's part of an option group) to SetValue (in a macro) or assign the value (in code.) Not sure if it's really a good idea though. Considerations such as: - You can quite easily read the value from the form. - Doesn't work in versions of Access before 2007. - If it's a bound form, the tempvar would not be up to date when you move to a different recor...

hiding rows #3
I want to find a quick way to hide various rows in a spreadsheet that contain zero values. i.e. below example i want to hide the whole row 'oranges' sales apples 100 pears 200 oranges 0 bananas 30 I have quite a lot of rows that may need hiding and any help would be appreciated, thanks. data>filter>autofilter -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "karl middleton" <karl middleton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64150DD9-6E0D-460D-8D75-21117ED6C23F@microsoft.com... >I w...

Lookup value off by one row
Hi, Any help you can provide on this would be appreciated. I have a worksheet that identifies how far a number is from target. I created the lookup below to coorespond to the productivity increase for next year. =LOOKUP(C4,LookUpValues!$A$1:$A$402,LookUpValues!$B$1:$B$402) C4 is -10.9, in the lookupValues tab -10.9 is in row 93 column A as is the desired result return of 5.6 in column b, however the lookup function is returning 5.7. The issue may be that the data and the lookupValues tab numbers are not exactly the same. -10.90001 and -10.9004 may display the same, but w...

Check this corrective patch from the MS
--jvpplluf Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="fjivqayfwxnprlkf"; type="multipart/alternative" --fjivqayfwxnprlkf Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="cigzxgkmd" --cigzxgkmd Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to continue...

How do I rearrange (switch) the information in my columns to rows
Copy the data out of Publisher and into Excel. You can swap it out there with the Paste Special (transpose) command. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "larrey" <larrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35EA8C76-ACA3-44A8-9876-78AE787885B6@microsoft.com... > The dirty way in Publisher, high-light the table, format menu, table, cell properties tab, check *rotate text within AutoShape by 90 degrees* Rotate the entire table 90 degrees. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.m...

Pivot Tables: New dimension members show up checked in dropdown
I've noticed that when distinct new members are added to dimension dat they show up as checked in a dropdown list when the pivot table i refreshed. Is there anyway to disable this so that they don't show up (pre checked? Basically, I have a model that depends on a subset of the members which I have checked in a dropdown, and the rest are unchecked - an when a distinct new member is added it automatically shows up a checked in the dropdown list, which gives me wrong answers. E.g. I have Stock Tickers as a dimension and avg. price as the measure I have 10,000 Distinct Tickers of whic...

Inserting alternate blank rows in Excel
I have several spreadsheets with between 2,000 and 3,000 rows of data. I'm using them to import data into some accounting software. The format required by the software is that each row of data is separated by a blank row. Short of individually inserting several thousand rows, does anyone know another way of changing the layout of the spreadsheet? Well, you could add a helper column and enter 1, 3, 5, and copy down to the bottom of what you've got. You could then put 2,4,6,8 ... in blank rows until you have the max # of what you need. Then sort by the helper column. Make su...

EXCEL:printing row headings at the top of every page.
I have looked at the EXCEL help and am not able to get row headings at the top of every page. I see the sheet tab and I see where I am "supposed" to enter the rows to be printed at the top of every page. HOWEVER these cells are "grayed out" i.e. inaccessible. Is there something else I need to do before I can access this function? It seems simple enough, but I am not able to enter rows to be printed. Any ideas? Are the sheets grouped? as this will cause that to happen, in which case you need to ungroup and set the print area. -- Regards Ken.............

Deselect one of many non-adjacent rows selected
If you are going through a worksheet and selecting several rows to, for example, delete them and you accidentally select a row you didn't mean to, is there a way to deselect just that one row? I noticed that CTRL clicking on the row again does not do the trick. Thanks!! Nicolle Very annoying feature. You can add a couple of Chip Pearson macros to your Personal.xls that will allow the unchecking of a mistake. Assign to a button or to the right-click menu. See this thread for the macros and instructions for adding an item to the right-click menu. http://snipurl.com/bxoj Gord D...

visio hyperlink to excel row
I have a drawing of a Dell rack with individual Dell server box pics in it. I figured out how to link one server's picture (using insert hyperlink) to open a spreadsheet containing server stats. What my boss wants is for each individual server's picture, when clicked, to open to its row of data in said excel file. Does anyone have a clue as to how this is done, either thru hyperlink, macro, vba, vbs, or sql script for each server? It would be helpful if the solution could find the server name in the spreadsheet then go right to that row. Thanks very much from a 1st time vis...

macro to delete multiple rows
I have recorded, then modified, the following macro, which unprotects the sheet, aks if you are sure you want to delete the row, deletes the current row, copies down a cell in column A that numbers the row, and protects the sheet. Works fine, but if the user wants to delete not only the current row, but multiple rows below it also, the macro must be repeated. How can I accomplish deleting multiple rows, as indicated by the user? For example, rows 18 thru 20, or 29 thru 33, etc, or of course, just the current row, with the message box prompting the user for the number of rows to delete. Thanks...

how can i increase number of rows beyone 65536 in excel sheet
the maximum of number of rows that are available in an excel sheet are only 65536,i would like to enhance it to my choice. Plase mail me how can i do it ,either by writing a macro , or other way. please also mail me the entire procedure, where to correct and where to run the macro etc. You want the car washed and the dog taken out as well? There is no way of extending this, use a database or multiple sheets -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "increasing number of rows in excel sheet" <increasing number of rows in excel sheet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5F6...