Checking for duplication on rows

Hello,

In a particular spreadsheet, I would like to verify if the same name is
listed on multiple rows.  The name is entered in multiple columns on the
same row, that is acceptable, but I would like to know if the name is
entered on multiple rows regardless of the column.  How can I check
this?

THANKS,
karmen

--
Karmen
Karmen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30972

Presume you're checking some specific names ?
One way to quickly check is to use autofilter (Data > Filter > Autofilter)
Select "Custom" from the droplist, then enter/paste the specific name > OK
Then reset the droplist to "(All)", repeat the check for each col concerned
--
Max
Singapore

> Hello,
>
> In a particular spreadsheet, I would like to verify if the same name is
> listed on multiple rows.  The name is entered in multiple columns on the
> same row, that is acceptable, but I would like to know if the name is
> entered on multiple rows regardless of the column.  How can I check
> this?
>
> THANKS,
> karmen
>

> --
> Karmen
> Karmen's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30972
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=509495

0
demechanik (4694)
2/8/2006 2:09:40 AM
Karmen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In a particular spreadsheet, I would like to verify if the same name is
> listed on multiple rows.  The name is entered in multiple columns on the
> same row, that is acceptable, but I would like to know if the name is
> entered on multiple rows regardless of the column.  How can I check
> this?
>
> THANKS,
> karmen

Try using COUNTIF(...) > 1 as a test.

You can change the ranges in my example to match what you need.

Lets make the following assumptions
A1:D20 contains your data
Column A contains the names you want to check for duplicates
Column E will contain TRUE for duplicates

The following will work for single column to be checked.
Enter this in E1 and copy down to E20
=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$20,A1)>1

In your case you may need something like this.
Enter this in E1 and copy down to E20
=COUNTIF($A$1:$D$20,A1)>COUNTIF($A1:$D1,A1)
This checks the whole range count versus the current row count
Simple but effective.

Hope it helps
George
0
bytesmee (15)

Pasting, but leave hidden rows out
I want to copy a worksheet with multiple hidden rows and paste to a new worksheet without pasting all of the hidden rows as well. How can I do this? -- j-dawg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ j-dawg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16551 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=314069 j-dawg - > I want to copy a worksheet with multiple hidden rows and paste to a new > worksheet without pasting all of the hidden rows as well. How can I do > this? < Edit | Go T...

Haveing problems inserting a row
Here is the problems I am working off of 3 different workbooks that are linked together Every time that I insert a new row, the forumlas do not update. I there a way for me to insert a new row so that it will change th forumlas?? I am hopping this could be done? thanks for any help you can give me Turb ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 22:0...

Duplicate receipts printing
Hi, I have a problem with duplicate receipts printing from the POS on a random basis. I only have Printer 1 set up and this is also the only one set to print journals. I have also checked the receipt count is set to 1 for all transaction type’s. Like I say it doesn't happen on every transaction which makes me think that it could be something to do with the item or something else set someone in the database. Has anyone come across this before or have any ideas? Any help will be appreciated!. Matt ...

Report to Print Checks
How can I determine which report is being used as the one to print our companies checks? We have a top and bottom check format, and there are four top and bottom options. I have tried altering them all, but it does not result in a change in the end product. I have verified that I have set proper access to these particular modified forms and reports. Therefore, I am wanting to see if it is pulling from a report that I am not seeing so that I can get it edited. hi, print the report to screen. The title bar will then say which report you printed. it will say something li...

Is there a way of checking what Cheque nos(Check nos) have been lo
Is there a way of checking what Cheque nos(Check nos) have been logged? There doesn't seem to be a report that will show a check transaction with the relevant Cheque(check) no. entered at the time of sale nor does it show in the Journal. It's an unusual question to ask, i know, but we have a customer who would like to verify check no. to ensure that all of the cheque(checks) paid in to accounts match the Check Nos they have --- a sort of Security check if you like. Is there a way to get this info? Thanks Sid This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_...

Select rows and sort based on type
I have a spreadsheet that contains data for several different types of accounts. I want to sort by sheet differently depending on the type of account (types are 1, 2, 3, and 4). The spreadsheet is currently sorted by account type. I want to sort further in the following way: if the account type is 1, I want to sort by account name. If the account type is 2, I want to sort by account number. If the account type is 3, sort by account number. If the account type is 4, sort by account name. I'm just guessing - but it seems like I should write a macro that will select all rows, f...

Pivot Tables & not printing blank rows (revisited)
I have an excel file that updates a pivot table when I run a macro. The size of the re-generated pivot table (in the # of rows) can vary depending on the source data. When I print the pivot table, I don't want to print pages and pages of blank rows underneath. I also don't want to have to resize my print area each time. In the past I have avoided this problem by clearing the print area instead of setting a print area. However, if I try to format a large # of rows [background color, text alignment etc] to accomodate a wide ranging pivot table size, excel then assumes that you want ALL o...

How do I have a formula refer to the most recent entry in a row
I am using a spreadsheet to compile monthly results for my company. Some results are YTD and I would like to have the most recent month show up for the YTD total. Is there a formula I can input that will look for the last entry in a particular row and populate that? If you mean return the right most value in a row then try for row 4: =LOOKUP(2,1/4:4,4:4) -- HTH Sandy sandymann@mailinator.com Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk "sm7301" <sm7301@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:792756FA-6E13-4DE4-A522-6F621A8A8AAF@microsoft.com... >I am using a...

Check this security patch from the Microsoft Corp.
--vxjtalqf Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="bwtnjblnzwcm"; type="multipart/alternative" --bwtnjblnzwcm Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="hzqtbvwx" --hzqtbvwx Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to maintain the security of your computer from these vulnerabilities, t...

Taxes---box not checked in POS screen (RMS)
We have two ways we enter order...work orders for internet orders, and the cash register in the store. I have set up taxes like this: In Manager: In Config Tax-exclusive checked Assign tax per customer-walk-in Group=Sales tax Field match=State In Database Sales Taxes Code=TN, descrption=TN State Tax Min tax amount=0 Max Tax Amt=0 Sales Tax Rate=9.750% + $0.00 No other boxes checked Customer taxes Code=TAX, description=Sales ...

Outlook finished checking the selection and no suggestions
Outlook 2007 spell check only show "Outlook finished checking the selection" and no suggestions. However, it is working fine in Word. ...

Repost
Using VBA does anyone know how to retrieve the latest Forefront updates date? -- Steve Don't know about VBA but here is the home site. Maybe you can find something there. http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/en/us/default.aspx "AltaEgo" <Somewhere@NotHere> wrote in message news:ev2818iwKHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > > Using VBA does anyone know how to retrieve the latest Forefront updates > date? > > > -- > Steve Good answer. Bad question! More detail: I need to audit many computers checking many setti...

Hide rows using IF
I would like to hide some rows in my spread sheet. It looks something like this: Cat Redo Cod Redo Categories Incidents Share J LR3 REMAKE 10 0.839% E LR01 #N/A 0 0.000% The formula in D12 (the first cell under the Incidents heading) is =SUMIF(Detail!A:A,B22,Detail!E:E). I have a macro that updates these numbers. I would like to have a row hidden if the D column has a 0 value or is empty. Any help would be appreciated. -- Mike Apply Autofilter to column D, select Custom... then Not Equal to...

Transposing a column to several rows
I have a large file with many rows; let's say it looks like this: start data1 data2 data3 data4 start data1 data2 start data1 data2 data3 .... What I want to do is transpose the column to a row, and then each time the word START appears, start a new row. So the above would look like this: start data1 data2 data3 data4 start data1 data2 start data1 data2 data3 .... Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Scott Make sure you make a backup copy of your data before using the code I just posted "walkersc@gmail.com" wrote: > I have a large file with many rows; let's say i...

how to create a formula to hide specific rows after meeting requi
A formula cannot change the appearance of a cell You could use Format |Conditional Formatting to give the cells in the row a font colour the same as the background so as to be invisible. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "DNelson" <DNelson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5F91D2FC-598C-4355-97EC-A5B2534D88C7@microsoft.com... > Hi D., or a filter to hide the rows, and the formulas work the same as for Conditional Formatting the object is to produce True or False (or the equivalent). Some informatio...

Automatically Add Rows
Is it possible to have Excel automatically add rows, ideally a new row each month? I know you can use dynamic ranges to increase the range each month, but I'd like it to "physically" add a row in addition to this, so that I don't have to manually insert a row every month. Also I posted this on another forum without a response, so here goes: is it possible to have Excel dynamically change (add/delete) rows given user inputs? My problem is that I have a lot of data and would like the user to be able to enter a given begin/end date and have excel only show the data from thos...

SUM only certain rows
Hi I need some help please I would like to SUM only certain rows in a spread. Eg Column A contains numbers, column B contains some dates I want to get a total of the values in column A only where column B = 01-Oct-03 (for example) A B 10 29-SEP-03 15 01-OCT-03 20 01-OCT-03 so it would be =SUM(A1:A3) where B = 01-OCT-03 the answer being 35 In SQL this would be quite an easy statement but how do I do this in Excel. Any help Thanks Frank ----------------------------------------------...

How to select cells (located in a column) for formulas in a row automatically?
Hello How to use cells (located in a column) in formulas in a row automatically? I cannot copy the formula to other cells in the row because the coping moves the selection to another column, not to a another row in the same column. Use a $ (dollar sign) infront of the row or column you do not wat to change. "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote in message news:OqbeN%23lzFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hello > How to use cells (located in a column) in formulas in a row automatically? > I > cannot copy the formula to other cells in the row because the ...

Copy If in row below
When Department changes I need to insert the ADDRESS below the Account-Institution Business Office. For instance if department = 883, go to row below Account-Instittion business office and if = blank get address abc 123 Company 500 Thompson Rd. Detroit, MI ending 02/13/10 ---------------------------------------------------------------- Account-Institution Business Office: DEPT EMP.NBR EMPLOYEE NAME ADDRESS 883 27903 ROBERSON, JOE abc 883 119245 MUSI...

Delete all rows except...
I receive a weekly report & have been asked to delete all rows except for two particular rows. Here are the two criteria which are in column A cells: AWH98228 and AWL99467 Can anyone offer help? Thanks Try this: Sub RemoveRows() With Application .ScreenUpdating = False .Calculation = xlCalculationManual End With LastRow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row For r = LastRow To 2 Step -1 'Headings in row 1 If Range("A" & r).Value <> "AWH98228" _ And Range("A" & r).Value <> &quo...

Can not adjust row height. The line snaps back.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel This is an unprotected form for which I need to adjust row height to get it to fit on one page. When I &quot;grab&quot; the row, it snaps back. The only way to do it is to adjust cells in Table Properties. In my old word, I could just grab and move the line. Have you set a specified a height for the rows and that is giving you this problem? Check in table properties/row and also check properties/table/options &quot;default spacing between cells&quot;. ...

Get rows from another tab where cell in column is empty
I have a spreadsheet where I track amounts owed to subcontractors and when they were paid. I'm trying to create another tab where I pull all rows that have not been paid. The only thing anyone has suggested so far is autofilter but that isn't what I'm looking for. Is there a function for this or would it have to be a macro? I don't really want to do a macro. I might just build this in Access, but I thought I'd try this angle first since it's already set up in Excel. I really appreciate any help that could be provided. gg If you don't like AutoFilter, then a ...

how can I know that the option of "Obtain DNS server address automatically" in Internet Protocol(TCP\IP) property have be set or checked by coding ?
> > how can I know that the option of "Obtain DNS server address > > automatically" in Internet Protocol(TCP\IP) property have be set or > > checked by coding ? I need to judge it and change "Obtain DNS server > > address > > automatically" to "Use the following DNS server addresses"; > > Are there any api or other methods to get it? AliR (VC++ MVP) wrote: > You can call GetAdaptersInfo(...). The DhcpEnabled member of > IP_ADAPTER_INFO tells you if DHCP is enabled or not. > AliR. AliR Thank your reply.but if D...

Duplicate an existing smartlist
Bonjour! Is it possible to copy a system smartlist or base a smartlist from another one already existing from GP. Joel It depends! Are you talking about regular SmartLists or SmartLists built with SmartList Builder? -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Joel" wrote: > Bonjour! > Is it possible to copy a system smartlist or base a smartlist from another > one already existing from GP. > > Joel Regular ones, because a lot of times, the smartlist is close to satisfy my client but their is a l...

Duplicates #4
I have a column of Numbers in column B. I need to a function or something that will make those numbers that are duplicates stand out, like highlight them in Red or put a mark next to them in the next column (c). I need to be able to see which ones are duplciates easily instead of sorting them and picking them out manually. I also need the originals highlighted too. If there are two number six's, I need both of them highlighted or marked. Thanks -Mat Chip Pearson has a bunch of techniques for working with duplicates at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm Matt in AZ wrote: >...