Chart Labels Don't Show

This is really a beginner question I am sure.  Would really appreciate some
help.  When I create a chart in Excel 2003, sometimes the plot area is too
small and crowded and not all my data labels show up.  Is there any way
other than dragging the corners to make the chart bigger (which doesn't
always work) to make it big enough for all my labels to show up?  THANKS!!

0
mommio2 (9)

As answered in .charting:

  You can format the x-axis:

Click on the x-axis to select it
Choose Format>Selected Axis
On the Scale tab, for Number of categories between tick-mark labels, enter 1
On the Font tab, you can choose a smaller font size
Click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

0
dsd1 (5911)
12/31/2006 12:14:46 AM
Thanks again!  I panicked and asked my question here, too, after it sat out
on the other board unanswered for some time.

"Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> As answered in .charting:
>
>  You can format the x-axis:
>
> Click on the x-axis to select it
> Choose Format>Selected Axis
> On the Scale tab, for Number of categories between tick-mark labels, enter
> 1
> On the Font tab, you can choose a smaller font size
> Click OK
>

> Mommio2 wrote:
>> This is really a beginner question I am sure.  Would really appreciate
>> some
>> help.  When I create a chart in Excel 2003, sometimes the plot area is
>> too
>> small and crowded and not all my data labels show up.  Is there any way
>> other than dragging the corners to make the chart bigger (which doesn't
>> always work) to make it big enough for all my labels to show up?
>> THANKS!!
>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Contextures

mommio2 (9)
12/31/2006 9:17:00 AM
You're welcome!

Mommio2 wrote:
> Thanks again!  I panicked and asked my question here, too, after it sat out
> on the other board unanswered for some time.
>

> "Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message
>
>>As answered in .charting:
>>
>> You can format the x-axis:
>>
>>Click on the x-axis to select it
>>Choose Format>Selected Axis
>>On the Scale tab, for Number of categories between tick-mark labels, enter
>>1
>>On the Font tab, you can choose a smaller font size
>>Click OK
>>

>>Mommio2 wrote:
>>
>>>This is really a beginner question I am sure.  Would really appreciate
>>>some
>>>help.  When I create a chart in Excel 2003, sometimes the plot area is
>>>too
>>>small and crowded and not all my data labels show up.  Is there any way
>>>other than dragging the corners to make the chart bigger (which doesn't
>>>always work) to make it big enough for all my labels to show up?
>>>THANKS!!
>>

>>--
>>Debra Dalgleish
>>Contextures

Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

Exchange/Outlook Groups not showing in Entourage
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Email Client: Exchange I work in a PC environment. Our organization uses Exchange Server and Outlook. I use a Mac and Entourage. My Common Contacts book shows all the email addresses but none of the GROUPS show up. Therefore I am unable to send emails from Entourage to GROUPS within the organization. These groups show up just fine in OUTLOOK. Also in Outlook the EMAIL TYPE for address show as SMTP while GROUPS are EMAIL TYPE: MAPIPDL <br><br>Our IT is pretty swamped with other issues to be able find...

Gantt Chart and Critical Path
I have a spreadsheet where I enter time line data in the cells and from that information generate a Gantt chart. What I would like is a way to have symbols on my chart to show milestones, and end points. Anybody have any ideas as to how I could add those symbols on a chart? Thanks. Royce - That's a page I haven't added to my web site yet. Your gantt chart is a stacked (or floating) bar chart. To add symbols, you need to add additional series, using time as your X values, and a normalized Y value corresponding to the bar that needs the marker. Use 1 for your topmost bar, and N...

soften jagged edges of pie charts
I am trying to smooth the angles in pie chart which prints okay from an excel but not when I copy and paste it on a microsoft word document Instructions said go to format, click selected data series and click patterns tab then select smoothed line. But the box Smoothed line doesn't exist. Have you tried copying as picture (Shift-Edit-copy as picture)? "zen" wrote: > I am trying to smooth the angles in pie chart which prints okay from an excel > but not when I copy and paste it on a microsoft word document > > Instructions said go to format, click selected...

Excel should default to autoformat for chart text boxes
Excel in (Office 2003 and as far as I can tell all previous versions of Excel) should default to autoformat for chart text boxes - it currently selects "none" for outline and background options ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.micr...

How do I add a secondary axis to a pivot table chart?
Using XL2007 - the secondary axis radio buttons are greyed out. Is there a way to add the 2nd axis? Hi, This is chart type dependent. Suppose you have a line chart, right click the series and choose Format Series, the Axis radio button should be available. What type of chart are you using? Cheers, Shane Devenshire "dangelor" <dangelor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2610028F-5FAF-4400-A3E3-B7D0CCEFB443@microsoft.com... > Using XL2007 - the secondary axis radio buttons are greyed out. Is there a > way to add the 2nd axis? ...

Formulas showing in cell???
I keep getting a formula showing in the cell after I edit i (occasionally). Show formulas is turned off and edit in cell is on. How can I make the formula go awaw and simply show the results whic when edited the results shows correctly? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi probably the cell is formated as 'Text' change the cell format to 'General' and re-enter your formula -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I keep getting a formula showing in the cell after I edit it > (occasionally). Show formulas is turned off and edit in cell is on. >...

Delete embedded chart, how?
I have 2, (Gnatt), charts on the wrksht. How do I del one? -- Boswell Select the chart, hit the delete button. -- David Biddulph "Boswell" <boswell6@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:C439A52B-E430-4B40-95DB-1563E22939AF@microsoft.com... >I have 2, (Gnatt), charts on the wrksht. How do I del one? > -- > Boswell ...

Pie Chart color
Hi, Excel 2003. I have a 3 series pie-chart, I simply want to change the color of ONE of the 3 slices in the way I want. Thanks for help. Click the slice; pause; click the slice again, it should now have 'handles' around it. Use Format | Data POINT in menu (if it say Data SERIES, try again) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Freightliner" <freightliner2006@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:87a8c3a5-2d6e-43d2-a0ec-7aa1b25c1296@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Excel 2003. I...

show pictures in a form
i am trying to make a database and i have a record that has a hyperlink to a picture i have two question 1) is the hyperlink the best choice to use for the picture 2) how do i make the picture visble on a form thank you for your help sorry i sent this to the wrong newsgroup how every any advice would still be appreciated "William Storey II" <billstorey@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:zguub.30991$TL5.30867@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com... > i am trying to make a database and i have a record that has a hyperlink to a > picture > > i have two question > &g...

when I type a long number it shows up as smaller number and +
when converting from xls to csv format, some of my longer mortgage numbers get condensed into a smaller number with a letter, a plus sign and another number. example: 100020013120 turns into 1.0002E+11. Any way to get rid of this? Thanks, Yes, just specify the format that you want. Format Cells...>Number>0 decimal places Regards, Fred "SandyC" <SandyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FA52E426-360E-4BE5-B63B-1209E673CA65@microsoft.com... > when converting from xls to csv format, some of my longer mortgage numbers > get conde...

Users not showing up??
I'm having trouble adding users and mailboxes in Exchange 2003. My Exchange 2003 box is connected to a Windows 2003 DC. On the Exchange box, whenever I add a user in the Active Directory, it shows up as an account, and all the Exchange tabs are assigned to the user....however under Exchange System Manager no mailbox is created...even though I've run Exchange Tasks in the AD on that same box. Is it because I have to somehow sync the AD on the Exchange box to the DC, or is it something else? Please help!! On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:42:02 -0700, "Scott S." <ScottS@discussio...

move axes and axis labels behind data points on scatter chart
I'm working with a series of XY scatter charts that all pull data from the same worksheet. They are all copied from the "original" scatter chart and then just have the cell references changed so that the formatting stays consistent across the series. (The charts will be shown sequentially and I don't want anything changing other than the location of the data points.) However, on some of the charts, the axis and/ or the axis label appers on top/ in front of some of the data points and behind/ under other data points (which is what I want - the axes and labels behind th...

Formatting Chart Category Labels
I'm creating a fairly complex chart - a spider graph "dashboard" report that addresses 4 major areas of an organization's performance - finance, quality, efficiency and customer satisfaction. Each category has 4-7 data elements, so that there are a total of 22 data elements on the chart. There will be 2 sections of the report, a chart showing YTD, LYTD and Goal values for the data elements and the graph itself. I envision this as a relatively easy way for management or board to get a snapshot of comparative key performance indicators. So far so good - input form, c...

Charting Problem #2
I have a problem with charting a Dynamic chart. I goes ok to set up the dynamic function as a range. It also shows the correct series. The range is as follows: =OFFSET(Sheet3!$A$1;1;Sheet3!$P$2-1;COUNTA(INDIRECT("C"&Sheet3!$P$2;FALSE));1) Where P2 is an input from a listbox, and the name of the range is: Sheet3!Dato. When I try to change the reference for the series i get the following message: "Your formula contains an invalid external reference to a worksheet. Verify the path, workbook, and range name or cell reference are correct, and try again." The serie...

Which 'event' to run pivot chart formatting code on file open?
Greetings I have code to change my pivot chart type to a mix of line and column also to refomat colours I need to run the code so that the user sees the changes when the file is opened Ive tried the 'workbook open' event and the chart activate event but noy joy so far. (Once the file is open, manualy triggering the code works perfectly) Any ideas? Thanks I don't know why workbook_open doesn't work. You could use Application.OnTime to run your code a short time (like 2 sec) after the workbook opens. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://Peltier...

Adding a horizontal line to a Pivot Chart
I can't get a horizontal line added to a pivot chart (column or line) by using the series method. Can anyone help me out? I'm trying to add the horizontal line to show things like the mean and standard deviation. Thanks in advance. Sharon - Pivot charts don't allow you to include data that's not in the pivot table, and I think it only allows a very limited number of combination charts, if any. Sorry to disappoint. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ sharonc wrote: > I can't get ...

No "Sender" or "Subject" showing
Suddenly, about 1/2 of the messages downloaded have no Sender or Subject showing, and the message displays in HTML coding. Any clue what's causing this? WLM Support Windows Live Solution Center for Windows Live Mail http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=15 Windows Live Mail Forums http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=15 Windows Live Mail Solutions http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions.aspx?productid=15 -- ....winston ms-mvp mail "alsmithfl" wrote in message news:785170FE-56BD-4ACD-9CA3-A2934E476650@microsoft.com... Sud...

Autoscale a Line Chart to stack the curves
hello! To compare financial market assets moves I use a single chart with 2 series. The chart has 2 vertical axes and the scales are pretty different in term of values. The autoscale works fine on both axes. My queston is: How do I translate a curve onto the other so that they get "stacked", to be easily compared at a glance ? Any VBA function or sub is welcome... Thx This post might help. It shows how to calculate a proportional axis on a dual-axis chart. The effect is to plot the movement of one series against another to see how well they are correlated. Because each...

Odd Label Printing Issue
I'm using RMS v1.3.0206. I'm nearly done bringing up a new store. The Store Operations server and both POS terminals are doing great. Connections to HQ are all fully functional as far as I can tell. The problem I'm having is this: the office manager's PC won't print the price on the price tags! The other fields (ILC, BarCode, Description, SubDesc1/2/3, Last Rec'd, Price C) all print normally. The 'Price' field doesn't populate on the label--but only on this one PC! I use a custom label. The other PCs at the store can print the labels just fine...

Chart Legend Items: hide/show
How do I hide/show a series on a chart legend (scatter plot.) I tried a null string (""), but the trace still shows. I also tried #N/A. But it then shows "#N/A"; the same with function: NA(). What I am trying to do is to have a control button to show or hide a series from the chart. I can set all the series values to #N/A which hides it, but I am having trouble trying to hide the legend for the series. I also tried an "if" function in the chart->series dialog, but It evidently will only accept a cell pointer. "Jon Peltier" <jonREMOVExlmvp@p...

y label truncated
I have truncated y labels in excel 2000. I have a widescreen laptop and a microsoft technical article says it is a widescreen specific bug. The solution is to change resolution. This doesnt work. What does work is a fullstop several characters after the text which you must make white to stop from showing. Does anyone know if there is a patch for this?. Also, does anyone know if it affects all excel versions including 2003? Thanks to anyone with info ...

Entourage Reminders showing dates for next month overdue
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Email Client: pop Recently my reminder window has been showing me events as overdue, but upon looking closer find the date showing as next months events. Why are late December dates showing as overdue in November. The are events that occur monthly and are set up to remind 2 to 3 days in advance. On Nov 26, 5:24=A0pm, tankmas...@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power = PC Email Client: pop Recently my reminder window has been showing me events= a...

Excel 2007 Bar and Line chart on 2 Axes
I used Excel 2003 to create a "bar and line chart on 2 axes" and now have 2007. I can't find where or how to create these charts using Excel 2007. Can someone tell me how to do it? Start here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA102004991033.aspx Then Google "Excel 2007 chart"; look at a few sites Then come back here with specific questions and we will help you get it right. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

How do you do set up a hierarchy chart in PP 7
I'm trying to set up a hierarchy chart in PP7 but the template presented doesn't allow me to add boxes below with a direct line. Sometimes I get a slanted line and I can't delete it. ...

split bar chart
I need to create a bar chart using the following data: Column1 = 2 (value inside cell) Column2 = 3 (value inside cell) Coumn3 = 5 (=column1 + column2) Here's the layout I'm looking for: bar1 would start at 0(zero) and stop at 2 bar2 would start at 3 and stop at 5 (nothing would show below 3 for this bar) It's pretty much a stacked bar graph but each "stack" would be in its own column. Thanks! Not sure if it is what you need but goto www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips and look at Column Chart with a Difference best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/p...