Chart formatting

Hello,

I have a vertical bar chart (ie. a 'column' chart) with staff names along
the bottom (x) axis and their hours up the vertical (y) axis. The staff
names are rotated by 90 degrees so they read 'upwards'. There are a large
number of staff and to make the chart readable I split the staff into 2
equal groups and have a separate chart for each. The charts are identical in
format (or at least I thought they were) and differ only in the data they
display.

On the 2nd chart, long staff names are sometimes not printed properly, the
name is truncated. eg. 'Jeremiah Millhouse' prints as 'Jeremiah'. Shorter
names are not affected, and the problem seems to occur only on the 2nd
chart, the 1st chart works OK.

I notice that the names display OK on the screen, but become truncated as
soon as I switch to print preview. As far as I can tell (from the format
box) the font sizes are the same on charts 1 & 2, though I notice that the
font size changes if I resize the chart on the screen. I'm using a true-type
font.

Can anyone suggest what the difference might be between charts 1 & 2 ?

Thanks

KK

0
trebor (88)

Cutting a line in a line chart when data series stops
I have a series like so: Jan 10 Feb 10 Mar 11 Apr 12 May Jun Jul And so on - the rest of the year is blank. When I draw a line chart for the full 12 months the series draws a line up to April, then plummets to zero in May. I want the line to just stop at April. If I use a series as above and genuine empty cells for the end of the year this ok, but since my May cell reads =IF($A11<=$D$17,G11,"") the "" does not seem to get recognised as a blank cell. Please help!! Change your formula to =IF($A11<=$D$17,G11,NA()) -- David Biddulph "DannyS" <Da...

new currency format
How can I add a new currency format? I want to have CCN appear before the amount. select your cell(s) format|cells|number tab|Custom category "CCN"0.00 Maybe???? Poison wrote: > > How can I add a new currency format? I want to have CCN appear before the > amount. -- Dave Peterson <Format> <Cells> <Number> tab, Click on "Custom", and select one of the currency formats that you like. Then, just select the currency sign in the "Type" window, and change it to CNN -- HTH, RD ---------------------------------------------------...

All charts in gray color
In SharePoint Sever after I upload a excel file all my charts are displayed in single gray color, not even a different tones of gray just one tone, any idea how to correct that behavior? Thanks in advance ...

Money 2007 -- QIF import
Good Evening! After a little trial and error, I am able to import account transactions from another system (not a bank statement, my actual register transactions) with little trouble except for the date format. (Before someone gets mad at me, I really don't think this has anything to do with my regional settings!) As recommended by an MVP from this forum, I open my CSV file with excel, then use a converter (add-in) called XL2QIF to create a qif output file. The actual "data" in a date field in my original csv file is "060106" (mm/dd/yy) which is June 1, 2006,...

Data format
I am trying to run a query between 2 tables based on an account number. The problem I am having is that in one table, the account number is listed as ###-####, where as in the other, the account number is simple a string of 7 numbers. How do I either remove the dash in the first table or run a query that will allow me to match the 2 account numbers even though they are in different forms. I also need to match 2 other tables on account numbers. The problem here is that one field reads, for example, "C 123 4567 2.50 01/10/2007" where as the other reads 1234567. I need to ma...

date formatting 03-22-10
I have an excel sheet which has a date in yyyy/mm/dd format saved on the internal network. other users who open the file do not see this date as the same format as the saved file. could anyone provide as to why this is happening and what can be done to correct it. thanks vandy Sounds like you have not specifically formatted the cell as yyyy/mm/dd. When you don't specifically format a date cell, Excel will look at your Windows default setting and use that, so you will see a date as yyyy/mm/dd and someone else will see it as mm/dd/yy depending on their windows setting. T...

Report data needs to conform to db format
Each month I receive a report, say 200 lines (rows) 8 columns The information is grouped and separated as follows: Date Name Code Div Cost 05/15/04 Jim Bc West 20.00 05/20/04 John CB East 15.00 06/15/04 Judy BC South 35.00 Grp1 70.00 The sample above is a block of 3 the next block might be a block of 1, then 3rd a block of 5 or 7 and so on I'm currently manually Inserting a new column A:A and entering into A2:A4 the "Grp1" whic...

how do I show filter information on a pivot chart in excel2007?
In the previous version of Excel that I used you had the option to show Pivot Chart buttons which detailled how the chart had been filter. I can't find a replacement for this in 2007 so if someone prints the chart it isn't comprehensive in that you can't tell how it's been filtered. I create a lot of these for less experienced users and this info can be critical since descisions are made based on these charts. Can anyone help please? -- ATB Russ Hi, See the reply to my question about the same issue (added 16/9). That works. You just need to modify the macro for every s...

How can I add values from several worksheets in a line chart seri.
I have an Excel document with 12 (monthly) worksheets. I want to make a line chart pulling data in one cell (same cell on each sheet) from each of the twelve sheets. In other words, Jan F2 + Feb F2 + Mar F2, etc. Can I do that on the chart's Source Data menu in the Series/VALUES field? If so, what is the proper language/formula. If not, what are my options? Do I have to make a total page and pull from it? Also, is it possible to make the Category (X) axis label be the Worksheet Name (Jan, Feb, Mar) Lastly, is there a place that gives sample formulas for someone trying to brush...

Chart's DataTable
Some times we need to show source data with chart. we could turn it true by use specific name in axis(xlcategory) or by using source data 's linking picture . Both of these could help us to show specific series. and as all of us know that, the chart's datatable will show all of the series' value. I want to know whether we can hide any dummy series in chart's data table directly. Thanks for your answer in advance. Hi, No. Formatting, including hiding, of chart data table elements is very restricted. This may help http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/data_table/index.htm...

NAICS Code
Hello, I have a list of NAICS codes formatted as numbers that I would like to format as hierarchical text. Current List 10 12 101 112 Desired List 10 101 112 12 Does anyone know how to change the cell format so that the "Current List" becomes the "Desired List"? Thank you in advance for your help. It looks like you could preformat that column as text and enter your values as text. Then you could sort the data as text. Some versions of excel will ask if you want to sort values that look like numbers as numbers. You should say no to that prompt. And just changing t...

When refreshed, some Pivot Table columns retain formatting, some d
I have not had trouble with retaining column widths and column heading formats (font size, word wrap, alignment) in Pivot Tabl. When refreshed, they retain formatting. Here's the weird part, when I add or insert a new data column into the Pivot Table by checking from field list, that new data column does not retain column heading formats (font size, word wrap and alignment settign) like the original columns do. It does however preserver its column width and number formatting. Why is that? How do I tell Excel to preserve column heading formats for newly added ones? I...

Conditional Formatting Problems HELP!
I used conditional formatting for the first time to display colors i cells based on the value of the cell. Everything works fine excep when I try to save I get the message "Excel could not save all the dat and formatting you recently added to nnnn.xls". Microsofts kb has an article that says you cannot exceed 2,050 row (Q215783), but I certainly don't have nearly that many rows. I do hav a pretty large number of cells with conditional formatting and wonde if there is some other limitation that I can't find. Everything els about this sheet is very plain stuff. Can anyone ...

wrap text in a chart data table #2
Hi, Im have created a graph, which ive had no problem, but i when i click the option to "show data table" i cannot get the titles to wrap to the box, i have searched but i cannot find an option to wrap the text as i need it for a presentation. I do not want to just simply alter the font size if possible. Is there anyway of doing this? ...

How do I save to Microsoft Word Document format?
There are three machines in our office with Outlook 98 or 2000 on them. The 98 and 2000 machines I use have Word set up as the email editor, and I can use "Save as" to save an email in Microsoft Word Document format, including the attachments. The other Outlook 2000 machine was set up to use Rich Text format as the email editor, and only had the choice of saving as .html, Rich text, or Text. There was no option to save as Microsoft Word Document format. I changed the default email editor to Microsoft Word. I went into Tools, options, Mail format, and selected the check box for Mic...

Chart line colors
Hi I create a few charts in code from VB.NET using the excel interops, office 2003. In my software I need to be able to set the color of the lines i.e. the color of each series on the chart. There may be up to 9 series per chart. How do I asign a color to the series lines on the chart? Thanks Pieter Get out your version of Excel, make a chart like the one your code will produce, then record a VBA macro while you change the series formats manually. Then all that's left is to translate the VBA into VB.Net. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solut...

Chart background color not copying along
Hi, I have a problem with charts that are placed on seperate chartsheets within my workbook. The chart-area is filled in different of yellow with a fill-effect. No problems thus far. But now when I'm copying the chart to word, the background-fill is reset to a black/white scheme instead of yellow. Strange behaviour that didn't occur up till november 2008. I've been researching this for a while. Up till now I found the following: This only happens when the chart is on a seperate sheet, not when it is positioned on a worksheet. It only happens with fill-effects. The color-swit...

Automatic axis format

Creating Formatted Report and Emailing
I was wondering if anyone has any idea of how I might send out nicely formatted reports, where the report content is in the body of the email? I have seen a number of threads posted about sending attachments, and that will likely be my "fallback" approach. Trying to avoid attachments, however, as this required folks, who are already in email jail, to take an extra step, which results in them not seeing the report (my reports are communicating significant issues in ongoing projects, and important that they at least "See" the red flags in the report). T...

how to chart same cell in multiple sheets
I have an excel template with 3 worksheets that I created for others to input information into certain cells on each sheet on a daily basis, and resulting save with similar file names. I want to compare the information between workbooks (plotting) to see if the trend results are going up or down. Is there a way to plot a chart, based upon the information in one specific cell (or same specific group of cells) within multiple sheets (excel 2000 or 97)? I can present the information in various ways. 1) Same cell or group of cells within same named worksheet, over many workbooks (files)....

VBA
Dear all, I have several charts in a sheet for which I need to change the data ranges. Currently each chart has a different data range, and for each chart the new desired data range is just an straightforward extension of the original (i.e., the new data ranges could be easily calculated from the original ones just by adding a fixed number of rows/ columns). I am therefore trying to implement a macro for updating the data ranges of my charts automatically, but so far I haven't found a way for getting the actual data range of a chart. I guess I'm looking for something like the opposit...

format date time combo on a form
Hi all. Firstly thanks to all those that offer advise on these forums. I am linking an access database to a csv file (that I pull out of contact manager because linking the two directly doesn't show all fileds). Anyway, I get a date value such as "dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss AM" for one of the fields. Now i would like to put just the date into a report "dd\mm\yyyy" but no matter what i do, I always get the whole kit and kaboodle (i try mask etc). because the original data is linked I cant modify it so I have to figure out a way to do it on the report. any Ideas? thanks!...

XY Scatter Chart #2
I am creating a chart inside of a microsoft access form. I am trying to use the XY Scatter chart. On the Y-axis, I have 2 columns of data listed based on 50 units. On the X-axis, I have a timeline based on days. When I press the 'Preview Chart' button when I am going through th wizard and the chart and data look exactly like I need it to. Once click the finish button, I get a totally different look. Has anyon ran into this before? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Maybe the chart was created with series in rows, instead of columns. To fix that: Open the f...

Creating Multiple charts in an Excel Sheet :Post 2
Hi, I am posting this for the second time.Please provide me some help. I need to create a macro in Access which creates a report in an excel sheet. The excel sheet should contain a number of sheets (Sheet 1,Sheet 2,Sheet 3....).Inside each Sheet around 9 charts have to be displayed. Is it possible to create a macro for the same? Please can somebody help me with some vba code for creating multiple charts in a single excel sheet. Thanks, Sobha You should be able to find something here for the charting piece. http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/chartvba.html "i.sobha@gmail.co...

Create two curves with different time histories in same chart?
I have two time series with different sample intervals I want to present the curves in the same chart You can plot both series together in an XY chart. However, an XY chart doesn't give as nice formatting options for dates along the axis (for example, in a line chart you can have a tick mark and label at the first of each month, but not on an XY chart). To preserve this, make a line chart with both series, then select one, right click on it, choose Chart Type, and select an XY type. If necessary, format the XY chart so it is plotted on the primary axis with the line chart. - Jon -...