Chart - Data Labels

Is it possible to change the width of the text box for 'Category Name' within
the data label on a chart?

I have Category Names which are very long and need to be 'word wrapped', but
I cannot change the width of the text box or find a 'word wrap' option for
this.

Formatting is important as I also need to display the Value, so hard-coding
the label is not an option
0
L (105)

Hi,

Chart data labels are not sizable, even if the handles around them would
suggest otherwise.

You maybe able to get the breaks in the text you want at fixed places by
using ALT+ENTER within the cells that contain the linked text.

If you want complete control of formatting you need to use embedded
textboxes. The drawback is that they will not automatically re position
themselves is the data changes.

Cheers
Andy

Darren L wrote:
> Is it possible to change the width of the text box for 'Category Name' within
> the data label on a chart?
>
> I have Category Names which are very long and need to be 'word wrapped', but
> I cannot change the width of the text box or find a 'word wrap' option for
> this.
>
> Formatting is important as I also need to display the Value, so hard-coding
> the label is not an option
0
andy9699 (3616)

Conditional format on data change
I've a 5-column table with financial data sorted by the field "payee". As the table is extensive I would like to highlight the row(preferably) or the cell at each data change in the payee field. Can this be done? I put some text in A10:A20 (a,a,a,b,c,c,c,........) Selected A10:M20 Used Format | Conditional Formatting with -> Formula is $A10<> $A9 opened the Pattern tab and selected a fill colour Now the rows in range where text in A changes are coloured green Note it colours the first row (we could do something about this if important) best wishes -- Bernar...

how do I set combination chart
how do i set combination chart with two columns Need more information. In general, create your chart using a chart type that represents some of the series in your ultimate chart. One by one as needed, select a series, and change its chart type (right click and choose Chart Type or Change Chart Type). Then one by one as needed, select a series and assign it to the secondary axis (right click, Format Series, Axis tab or in 2007 the first tab you see). - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com __...

Data Mining Add-In for Excel 2010
Is anybody using the Excel 2007 version of the data mining add-in with Excel 2010 successfully yet? From what I can fathom out there is no 2010 version yet. There doesn't appear to be any information on setting this up for 2010 including Microsoft. ...

Charting with irregularly spaced x-axis
Hi Trying to make a chart where the x axis is number-of-days from a start-date, and y axis is a value measured on the particular date. For example, the columns may be: Date Days from Start Measurement 02/12/09 1 120 06/12/09 5 134 09/12/09 8 118 18/12/09 17 109 etc. I want a line chart showing the measurement vs days which I can do - BUT... I would like the x axis (days from start) to be spaced according to the number of days, which as you can see from the above are not evenly spaced. In other words, if there have been several days between measurements, I want a longer gap on t...

Significant data per record
I'm trying to do a report chart with a table of 3 fields that contain 12000 records. However, the chart limits the data to about 1/4 of these records. All 3 fields are number fields. Is there a limit to number of records or data points that can be charted. XY scatter chart or line chart. Using Access 2000. -- FL FL wrote: > I'm trying to do a report chart with a table of 3 fields that contain 12000 > records. However, the chart limits the data to about 1/4 of these records. > All 3 fields are number fields. Is there a limit to number of records or > data ...

Newbie Question-Pasting Multi-Row Data into Accumulating List With Macro
I have a two page worksheet. On the first page, data is entered into a 7 row by 6 column table. Several computations are done on all the data and a weekly report can be printed. I want to accumulate that weekly data in a list on the second page using a macro. I have recorded a macro that will copy all the current week's entries from the first page and "paste special" the data values onto the second page with a single click on a button located on the first page. What I can not figure out is how to paste the subsequent week's data below the previous set of data. Be...

Business Case Charting
15 supervisors submit estimates of time to complete a task. I would like to plot the values, and, a normal distribution curve - then, using the chart, draw a consensus as to the most accurate time for the task. What would comprise such a chart and, would there be a way to model the estimated times to produce the consensus (formulas, functions, VBA, etc)? Thanks, Phil Phil Hageman > 15 supervisors submit estimates of time to complete a task. I would like > to > plot the values, and, a normal distribution curve - then, using the chart, > draw a consensus as to the most accu...

creating a chart
I am trying to create a column chart on Excel displaying Years VS. $ in Billions. The problem is that I only want one column which will display the amount in Billions. I want the columns to be labeled by year on the horizontal axis. For example: Years $ in billions 1990 200 1991 215 1992 220 1993 450 1994 520 When I select the range to be graphed, I highlight both columns but then I get to columns and on the horizontal axis its labled 1,2,3,4 etc. instead of the years....how do I make it so it graphs the amount in Billions but it labels the correct year underneath? Do...

data lost after Exmerge
HI: I used exmerge (last Version ) to copy my user's data to my new Exchange 2003 server (previous was Exc2k). The entire process runs satisfactory, exept for the junk mail data, all maiboxes data were copied but I think this should be normal for obvious reasons. The problem is that in one users I can see everything but the mailbox data. All messages inside the inbox folder dissapeared but the data on the subfoldeers remained intact. Is there any way to extract or get those messages? The pst file created by the exmerge utility and the mailbox size on the exchange are the...

Using data drom one cell as part of a formula in another.
I am trying to use the data from one cell as part of a formula i another. For example: I have a three sheet workbook. The first sheet contains lists of data to be used in the followin sheets. i.e. Column 1 is List 1, Column 2 is List 2 etc The rows contain values. i.e. Row I contains Value 1, Row 2 contains Value 2 etc. The following sheets, named ListData1, ListData2 etc must contain dat from these lists laid out differently. I can achieve this by entering the formulae to refer back to Sheet1. e.g. For ListData1 ... =Sheet1!A1, =Sheet1!A2 etc For ListData2 ... =Sheet1!B1, =Sheet1!B2 etc F...

Y-labeling issue
When I create a bar chart having weekdays/dates along the Y-axis. only every other labels is displayed (i.e., Mon, Wed, Fri). I changed the Axis to Category, rotated the text, changed the format to m/d, chose the days both individually and as a range. Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions about how to get this to work? Try selecting the axis labels by clicking on one of them to select them and then right clicking on it and select format axis. In xl2002 select Scale tab and set Number of categories between tick mark lables to 1. (I think it is the same or similar for xl2003) In xl200...

Transaction data not downloading?
I just installed MS Money 2006 Trial. Overall, I like the interface on the program, but I am not able to get transactions to download and display for my checking and savings accounts. I can, for some reason, get the balances for each account to show up. I went to the troubleshooting section of the app, and walked through deleting my temp files in IE, and performed the Quick Repair as suggested, although neither worked. My bank is Regions, I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences. How can I get this to work? Try capturing the log files and see if there is some problem ...

Table uses a select statement as value to populate subform data
I have a project that is using a table that contains a select statement as the value. This table is used to output TypeName which is the field title in the metrics table to a form as if it were row data and TypeQuery will populate the subform. The form will display the TypeName and the subform should display the data for related select statement in TypeQuery. The Yes/No will indicate if that data is readonly (a calculated amount) if not readOnly then they can enter new or change data in the subform. TypeName IsReadOnly TypeQuery 1stAlias Name Yes/No ...

Disable resize Waterfall chart
Hi folks, I have a Waterfall Chart in my spreadsheet. I need to disable the resize function of the chart. Does anyone can show me the code (way) to disable resize the chart? Thanks in advance. Tim. Which "resize" function would this be? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Tim wrote: > Hi folks, > > I have a Waterfall Chart in my spreadsheet. I need to disable the resize > function of the chart. Does anyone can show me the code (way) to disable > resize t...

Can I put a secondary axis on a 3-D column chart in MS Excel?
Can I put a secondary axis on a 3-D column chart in MS Excel? If so, How? I want to over lay a line on top of a 6x12 row set of 3-D columns. I don't know about a secondary axis, because I avoid 3D charts. You cannot make a combination 3D chart, though, so your plan of a line with the columns will not be possible. Use a clustered 2D column chart, and add a line or XY series: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions - http://PeltierTech.com/ 2006 Excel User Conference, 19...

How to Handle Chart Sheets
i have a code where it populates all the sheet name in a combo box .. but i get an error when any workbook has chartsheets. i need to modify this code snippet in such a way that it has to populate even chart sheets object name in a combo box if not atleast igonore chart sheets object name ...... For Each wks In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets If wks.Visible = xlSheetVisible Then ctrl.AddItem wks.name End If Next wks By Declaring Wks as Object I can certainly avoid error but chartseet name are not populated in combooo box . Hi, For just worksheets use,...

question about data from excel to work
I am trying to take input from an excel sheet and mailmerge it to word....the thing is I want to make it so from here on out ..if I change something in the excel sheet it automatically updates on word as well..if not a mail merger what can I use ? -- Pooja Kamdar Hi Pooja Kamdar, You can link the Word document to the Excel workbook, so that any changes in the Excel workbook will be reflected in the Word document. To do this: 1. copy the source range in the Excel workbook 2. in the Word document, use Edit|Paste Special > Paste Link and choose the paste format you wan...

problems with copying data to clipboard
Hi, I've been working on this for some time, and I can't figure out my problem. I'm using samples straight from the newsgroups for my code, but I get an Unhandled Exception: User breakpoint when my code calls SetClipboardData. Here is my code. It gets text from a CListbox, coverts it to a CString, and follows the usual procedure for pasting it to the clipboard. I've changed the strcpy line from copying the curItem string to copying a simple "test" string, and it doesn't work either. Please help!!! Jay Here is my code: void CCRCCalculatorDlg::OnBnClickedC...

i need to add a row between each line of data
see same question by Robin. Homework or coincidence? <G> -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "rena warner" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3DC3549C-C26B-4DE0-98E3-736DC12B34E3@microsoft.com... > ...

change Data Type in a table with one click
I'm making this database for other users. They just have to import an Excel file in to the Access and it has to print a report. By clicking a button, this will run a macro to run a query on the table and change amounts and filter records. Then has to link another table to get a specific card number for the matching name. But the column of the imported file is text and it has to be linked or match a column with data type number. How can I also automate the Datatype of the table from text to number (long integer)? Please help... ...

trendline going below points in the chart
I have a burndown graph, so the trendline has a negative slope. I'm only interested in the X-intercept. How do I keep the trendline from exceeding the normal bounds of the chart? When it goes down to -2000, it shrinks the rest of the chart so that it can't be seen and is useless. Thanks, Brad. Brad - You can double click on an axis, and on the Scale tab of the dialog box that pops up, set the axis minimum and maximum that you want. This prevents data series or trendlines from redrawing the chart scales. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Service...

Formatting a chart -
I have a chart of type stock, sub-type high-low-close. I format the chart to make it look the way I want, but then when I select a different datarange all of the formatting goes away. This doesn't happen with any other type of chart that I have built. Does anybody know why the formatting would be dropped? Why would selecting a slightly different datarange drop all of the formatting? For example if I chart row Jan - June and format the chart. Then go back into the data and select Feb - July, all the formatting drops, fonts change, line colors change etc. Email me with any questi...

hierarchical axis labels reverse chart
When I change a chart from single level axis labels, to multiple level (hierarchical) data labels, the data on my chart reverses direction. (eg. originally the newest data is on the right, after I switch to multiple level data labels, the newer data is on the left) Is there any way to fix this? I still don't know why excel does this, so I simple have reversed the graph and worked around it. "steve" wrote: > When I change a chart from single level axis labels, to multiple level > (hierarchical) data labels, the data on my chart reverses direction. > (eg. origina...

Changed Data array #2
Sure: =IF(Data!C4="-","-",PERCENTRANK(Data!C$4:C$47,Data!C4,1)*10+(Data!C4<>MAX(Data!C$4:C$47))) What happens is data can extend well beyond C47 or well under. I alsl have many categories, so it would be a pain to have to change thos numbers in each formula. Thanks Fran -- Scottm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Scottmk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=170 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27290 ...

Hide Cell Content if no data in previous columns
I've made this work many years ago but now can't remember how. I have a job invoice to where the rate is 40.00/hour. This 40.00 is used in calculation to determine the total amount of pay owed. (20 hours worked * 40.00/hour). The boss requires that the hourly rate be shown for each job on the invoice, so that means it is in a column to where the amount is repeated all the way down. All I want is for the contents of that particular column NOT to show (show as blank), if no job has been entered. In other words, if there is no data entered on that particular row, hide the cont...