changing text case

Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?

Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.
0
LindaB (6)

See:
http://www.officearticles.com/excel/change_the_case_of_text_in_cells_in_microsoft_excel.htm
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Linda B" <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?
>
> Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.

0
ng1 (1444)
1/28/2006 1:02:47 AM
Excel supports conversion to upper, lower or proper case, but it has no
sentence case. I created this UDF to provide this

Private Function SentenceCase(ByVal para As String) As String
Dim oRegExp As Object
Dim oMatch As Object
Dim oAllMatches As Object

    para = LCase(para)
    Set oRegExp = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
    oRegExp.Pattern = "^[a-z]|\.( )*[a-z]"
    oRegExp.Global = True
    Set oAllMatches = oRegExp.Execute(para)
    For Each oMatch In oAllMatches
        With oMatch
            Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1) = _
                UCase(Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1))
            End With
        Next oMatch
    SentenceCase = para
End Function

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Linda B" <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?
>
> Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
1/28/2006 1:20:48 PM
Hi Linda,

You can download "change case in excel cells" (for excel-2000+) that have
word's change case interface from below site.

http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/

With this, you can also
1. change case of selected text from the textbox in the com-addins
dialogbox.
2. change text case to sentence case.

Regards,
Shailesh Shah
http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/
(Excel Add-ins Page)

-----------------
Linda B <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?
>
> Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.

Thanks.  A simple answer.  But I have not been able to figure out where to
enter and apply the formula.  I am a novice at Excel.  I have Excel 2003.  I
read the help information on this subject, but cannot figure out what they
are telling me to do.  I tried what I thought they were telling me to do, but
it did not work.

"Anne Troy" wrote:

> See:
> http://www.officearticles.com/excel/change_the_case_of_text_in_cells_in_microsoft_excel.htm
> ************
> Hope it helps!
> Anne Troy
> www.OfficeArticles.com
>
> "Linda B" <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?
> >
> > Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.

0
LindaB (6)
1/30/2006 6:41:27 PM
Could you tell me where to enter this information? I have used Excel for
years but only on the very basic functions.  i.e. name & address databases or
lists where I only have to sum the total on a column.

thanks.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Excel supports conversion to upper, lower or proper case, but it has no
> sentence case. I created this UDF to provide this
>
> Private Function SentenceCase(ByVal para As String) As String
> Dim oRegExp As Object
> Dim oMatch As Object
> Dim oAllMatches As Object
>

>     para = LCase(para)
>     Set oRegExp = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
>     oRegExp.Pattern = "^[a-z]|\.( )*[a-z]"
>     oRegExp.Global = True
>     Set oAllMatches = oRegExp.Execute(para)
>     For Each oMatch In oAllMatches
>         With oMatch
>             Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1) = _
>                 UCase(Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1))
>             End With
>         Next oMatch
>     SentenceCase = para
> End Function
>

> --
>
> HTH
>
> Bob Phillips

> "Linda B" <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?
> >
> > Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.

0
LindaB (6)
1/30/2006 6:41:28 PM
Perfect.  I have a selection under format for change case now.

Would like to learn how to do it with formulas to stretch my knowledge, but
this is great.  The simpler the fix the better.

"Shailesh Shah" wrote:

> Hi Linda,
>
> You can download "change case in excel cells" (for excel-2000+) that have
> word's change case interface from below site.
>
> http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/
>
> With this, you can also
> 1. change case of selected text from the textbox in the com-addins
> dialogbox.
> 2. change text case to sentence case.
>
> Regards,
> Shailesh Shah
> http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/
> (Excel Add-ins Page)

> -----------------
> Linda B <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?
> >
> > Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.

0
LindaB (6)
1/30/2006 6:43:28 PM
Hi Linda,
To install a macro posted in the newsgroup see
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm#havemacro

Some additional macros pertaining to your question
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm

For the worksheet  formulas they were pictured well on Anne's page
so I don't understand the problem with them.    Column A is the
 original data, and Column B is the helper column where you will
type in the formulas as shown, what you actually will see in Column B
is depicted in Column C.    After putting the formula into B1  you
would use the fill handle to the formula down.
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm
If you see your formula in  column B instead of the result, check that
  1)  you don't have a space in front of the formula
  2)  you do *not*  have the    formula view checked  in
          tools, options,  view(tab),  (uncheck) formula view
  3)  that you have automatic calculation turned on --
          tools, options, calculation (tab),  calculation: automatic

But macro solutions or the addin with a selection would be faster than
using  worksheet formulas so I really would not that method; however,
it is important that you understand  the use of the formulas, and the
fill handle, so go through the exercise of using the formulas you asked for.

HTH,

"Linda B" <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD3FDA22-626F-4AC6-95FD-31CCEA074748@microsoft.com...
> Could you tell me where to enter this information? I have used Excel for
> years but only on the very basic functions.  i.e. name & address databases or
> lists where I only have to sum the total on a column.
>
> thanks.
>
> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
> > Excel supports conversion to upper, lower or proper case, but it has no
> > sentence case. I created this UDF to provide this
> >
> > Private Function SentenceCase(ByVal para As String) As String
> > Dim oRegExp As Object
> > Dim oMatch As Object
> > Dim oAllMatches As Object
> >

> >     para = LCase(para)
> >     Set oRegExp = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
> >     oRegExp.Pattern = "^[a-z]|\.( )*[a-z]"
> >     oRegExp.Global = True
> >     Set oAllMatches = oRegExp.Execute(para)
> >     For Each oMatch In oAllMatches
> >         With oMatch
> >             Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1) = _
> >                 UCase(Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1))
> >             End With
> >         Next oMatch
> >     SentenceCase = para
> > End Function
> >

> > --
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Bob Phillips

> > "Linda B" <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?
> > >
> > > Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.

Thanks.  I will read through your answer and do some testing of what I learn.

"David McRitchie" wrote:

> Hi Linda,
> To install a macro posted in the newsgroup see
>    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm#havemacro
>
> Some additional macros pertaining to your question
>     http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm
>
> For the worksheet  formulas they were pictured well on Anne's page
> so I don't understand the problem with them.    Column A is the
>  original data, and Column B is the helper column where you will
> type in the formulas as shown, what you actually will see in Column B
> is depicted in Column C.    After putting the formula into B1  you
> would use the fill handle to the formula down.
>    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm
> If you see your formula in  column B instead of the result, check that
>   1)  you don't have a space in front of the formula
>   2)  you do *not*  have the    formula view checked  in
>           tools, options,  view(tab),  (uncheck) formula view
>   3)  that you have automatic calculation turned on --
>           tools, options, calculation (tab),  calculation: automatic
>
> But macro solutions or the addin with a selection would be faster than
> using  worksheet formulas so I really would not that method; however,
> it is important that you understand  the use of the formulas, and the
> fill handle, so go through the exercise of using the formulas you asked for.
>
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "Linda B" <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD3FDA22-626F-4AC6-95FD-31CCEA074748@microsoft.com...
> > Could you tell me where to enter this information? I have used Excel for
> > years but only on the very basic functions.  i.e. name & address databases or
> > lists where I only have to sum the total on a column.
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> >
> > > Excel supports conversion to upper, lower or proper case, but it has no
> > > sentence case. I created this UDF to provide this
> > >
> > > Private Function SentenceCase(ByVal para As String) As String
> > > Dim oRegExp As Object
> > > Dim oMatch As Object
> > > Dim oAllMatches As Object
> > >

> > >     para = LCase(para)
> > >     Set oRegExp = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
> > >     oRegExp.Pattern = "^[a-z]|\.( )*[a-z]"
> > >     oRegExp.Global = True
> > >     Set oAllMatches = oRegExp.Execute(para)
> > >     For Each oMatch In oAllMatches
> > >         With oMatch
> > >             Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1) = _
> > >                 UCase(Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1))
> > >             End With
> > >         Next oMatch
> > >     SentenceCase = para
> > > End Function
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Bob Phillips
> > >
> > > (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
> > >
> > > "Linda B" <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
LindaB (6)

Outlook program on toolbar color change?
Hello, Using Outlook 7 under Windows 7 Enterprise. When I launch Outlook, the program icon is displayed on the toolbar in yellow. Is there a way to change that colour because it's sometimes hard to find it rapidly when you have opened folders on your toolbar and they are also yellow. Thanks, Luke No. The icon is hard-coded in the program. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net ...

Styles change by themselves in publisher
When I delete unwanted Styles from Publisher 2003, they reappear next time I open the document. Styles I create change themselves - different fonts, sizes and paragraph spacings. This is driving me nuts and wasting hours of time. I can't find anything in Help! Why does this happen and how do I lock in styles to a particular document? When you change a text style in one publication, Publisher doesn't update the style in other publications. But you can open another publication and import the updated style into the first publication. You can import styles you've used in anoth...

changing cbobox row source through vba code
Hi All, I have a frame which has 2 option.Option 1 and 2. I also have a combo box. I want when option 1 in my frame is clicked, my combo box row source is "SELECT [List Model DC Query].[Model DC Fan] FROM [List Model DC Query], [Model AC Query] ORDER BY [List Model DC Query].[Model DC Fan];" and when the 2nd option of frame is clicked,it row source becomes "SELECT [Model AC Query].[Model DC Fan] FROM [List Model DC Query], [Model AC Query] ORDER BY [Model AC Query].[Model DC Fan];" please help to write the code and on what control even have to be placed. regards, cho ...

Some text boxes on an embedded chart do not show up
Why is it that the last one or two text boxes on an embedded chart do not display when I click outside the chart area? I am using 16 text boxes on a chart instead of the legend as it makes it easier to read. I then select an area that includes the chart and copy it to Paint (see note 1), where I save it as a JPG as I want to load it onto the web. The Excel file and the JPG file can be found at the following links http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/lombardm/TBracegraph20080705.xls http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/lombardm/TBracegraph20080705.JPG Why is it that the last one or two tex...

Numbers are changed in Excel?
I created a spread sheet of some stuff. I entered some serial and account numbers. For some reason that everyone but me probably knows the numbers are changed by Excel by inserting a ., a + sign, etc. hat are not as I typed. What's going on here? Thanks. I would say it's some formatting (either default or pre-existing) in those cells. Try giving all those cells the "Text" format. Then Excel won't add decimal places or signs. I -think- Excel won't let you do math with those values (unless you convert them first), but you probably don't need to add or subtra...

How to calculate text according to multiple months?
Hello! I', having a slight problem with my Excel-worksheet. I have a sheet with data, like this: A B 1.1.2010 X 2.2.2010 X 3.3.2010 4.4.2010 X (A: DDMMYYYY) How do I get Excel to count all the X:s in the first three months? I have another sheet to gather this data in which I'm putting the formula. One way... Assumes no empty cells in the data range. =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(A1:A20)<=3),--(B1:B20="x")) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Joona" <Joona@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

calculating multiple fields in an unbound text box
I have a report based on a query that links 2 tables by the field "Type". Each tiype in the one table has a minimum price. The other table has the type and actual sales prices in four different fields of which only one is used in the calculations. I am calculating the difference between actual selling price and minimum price. the problem I am having is that although the minimum price is always desplayed for the type, the calculation does not work for the different fields. If the first field is null, then the next 3 fields should be checked. The other fields may or may not be ...

"Do you want to save changes" not working...
I copied an excel chart into powerpoint as "Excel Chart (entire workbook)" so that it would not have any links to the orginal worksheet. When I then go in to edit the data the changes are made to the chart however if I close the powerpoint presentation it does not ask me if I want to save my changes, and when I reopen the presentation the chart goes back to the orginal data. If I consciously save the presentation before closing it, the changes made, however I'm afraid I might close it without remembering to save it since I'm not prompted. Is this a problem wi...

Why do my pie charts have labels which say "add text"?
Using Excel 2007 and my template comes up with this add text label for multiple labels on the pie chart. Even when I save a new template it still happens. Why? ...

How to change the file associated with Windows Media Player Add-on
Hello, My home computer is not playing streaming video correctly, while my office computer can. I compare their settings and find one difference between them. At home, the file associated with Windows Media Player under the Manage Add-on dialog box is msdxm.ocx. At work, the file is wmpdxm.dll. I want to change the home computer setting to be the same as that for office computer. How can I change the file to point to wmpdxm.dll? Thanks in advance. Herbert Try microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player newsgroup. Herbert Chan wrote: > Hello, > > My home c...

Having a row adjust in height to accommodate text entry
In a form that I'm developing I have 4 columns and 5 rows. I would like for the row height of all rows to automatically adjust to accommodate the text entry in any given colum/cell. Is there an easy way to accomplish this? Will it make a difference whether the worksheet is protected or not? -- John On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:50:06 -0800, John wrote: > In a form that I'm developing I have 4 columns and 5 rows. I would like for > the row height of all rows to automatically adjust to accommodate the text > entry in any given colum/cell. Is there an easy way to ...

How do change the pixels per inch/
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 05:09:02 +0000, computerdummy wrote (in article <EA2B31CE-EF75-4488-8A5F-9EA60E1C2E56@microsoft.com>): > You see that nice white space, below where you just typed? That's where you type the message - MS has even given you instructions on what to do - any they're written in plain English that any idiot could understand. The subject should be kept for a brief pr�cis of your problem. Could you please enlighten us as to what, exactly, you're trying to accomplish? Are you designing a website or print media? Why do you think you need to change the ...

Cannot copy text in emails
I am experiencing rather an annoying problem with outlook 2000 and Win2K Here is what I'm doing in step-by-step form. View an e-mail in outlook 2000, highlight some text in this e-mail, using either the keyboard shortcut CTRL+C or right mouse to copy the text. Open a new email message , try to paste the copied text - nothing is available to paste. If I open notepad or Word, the text can be pasted . It's only Outlook which has the problem. The work around is to open the new email first then go to the email with the text required to copy and go thru the procedure like that. Anyone ...

Changing daylight causes movement outlook appointments
Hello, everywhere on my clients and servers are the automattically adjust daylight saving changes disabled. But they need to turned on. so i starting too test en what is found was horrable for my users. al the appointments jump one hour forward. can i workaround this problem (don't know of it is a microsoft problem, but it is mine :) ) so the appointments won't jump one hour? im using Windows XP sp1 and Office XP sp2 Thnx in regard, Marcel Henderik See if the information in the following MSKB article helps...it talks about time zones rather than daylight saving time, but the wo...

Wildcard in change event ??
Is it possible to use a wildcard in change event code Case Is = "HP" colour = 41 Can the Case Is be used to look for instances of "HP" amongst other text like a concatenate formula? -- Tracey @ BrisVegas examples and your code? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Tracey" <Tracey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3824F8DD-53A0-420C-A63E-89905EFFF33F@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to use a wildcard in change event code > > Case Is = "H...

Change the servicecalendar form
I need to change the service calendar form. This form should be customizeable under Serviceactivity and under Ressource. But when this form is opened the result is the Ressource-form and the Serviceactivity form. I also need to make changes to the sevicescheduling form - is this possible ? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-base...

How to change OL 2007 storage location?
I would like to move my mail archive off drive C into another partition. Is there a way to do this and can folders be placed in separate files such that OL 2007 can use them as working files? Thanks, John. Yes, just move the .PST file and then change the account settings for the mailbox that points to it. But its all or nothing, all of the folders under the same email account have to point to the same .PST file, you can't have the INBOX and SENT in one .PST and the CALENDAR, CONTACTS and TASKS in another. You can have the .PST's for each email account in different ...

Change meeting don't send update
I want to change a meeting (in this case change the time by half an hour). I don't want to send an update to the attendee/s. The only options I get are "Save changes and send update" or "Don't save". I want to save the changes but not update. How can I make a change but not update people? If I remove the attendeed from the To box, it still wants to send an update, so presumably it is still registering them as people to say "you are no longer involved but I'll tell you anyway". If I click the "Cancel Meeting" button, it seems to wa...

converting text to formulas
Greetings, Is there a way to convert text to a formula? I have a pattern of data that I am trying to convert to formulas. In one column I have a pattern of A,A,A,A,B,B,B,B,C,C.... In the next column I have numbers 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,... Using the concatenate function I can generate a column of =A1,=A2,=A3,=A4,=B1,=B2.... but this is just text. I really am trying to generate the values that these cell references would represent. The goal is to present the DATA from cell A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, B2...all in a long list. Does this make sense? Can this be done? Thanks a ton for your help! ...

Outlook Subject Changing
Hi All, We have a user in a fully operation CRM network. He occasionally notices that the odd recieved e-mail has a changed subject line to that with which it was originally recieved. I.e, an e-mail initially recieved with the subject 'Test 123456' may alter to another subject line of a previously promoted (but un-related) e-mail within CRM e.g 'Graham Smith CRM: 0005545'. Has anyone also had this issue? ...

How to change the default datetime format for Windows Server 2003
As per the topic, I need to know how to change the default or the master datetime format for Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition. My problem is as such. One of my applications is working under the IIS, and thus getting the date and time from it. The IIS is running under local system and does not change the date time when I change if for the logged in user. Not even when I'm logged in as local administrator. My program take in dd/MM/yyyy but however it seems like the server is always default to M/d/yyyy or MM/dd/yyyy. So, how can i change the default setting so that it...

Who is changing my #$@# mouse cursor??
I wrote a custom control. On portions of this custom control, I change the mouse cursor to the hand cursor. I do this by handling the WM_SETCURSOR message and calling SetCursor(). All appeared to be working fine til QA happened to notice that if they hold down ALT-Z (an invalid menu accelerator that just causes the OS to beep) while mousing over my control, it sometimes flashes the normal arrow cursor when it should be showing the hand cursor. I can't for the life of me figure out who is changing this... these are the steps I've taken so far: 1) check, double checked and triple...

How do I read text file in an EXCEL SHEET
Hello, With regards to EXCEL how we read the text file in EXCEL sheet using MACRO. The file is located in d:\Sql\Documents\Amit\log.txt. I want to save the EXCEL sheet, and every time when I open this sheet it reads this text file and displays the contents of this text file in Excel Sheet. I want to use MACRO for reading this text file.How I do that? Thanks Amit fileName = "D:\Sql\Documents\Amit\log.txt" Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=fileName OR Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=fileName, Origin:=xlWindows, StartRow _ :=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=Array( _ Array(0,...

How do I get the text from running off a page (have it skip to th.
I need to be able to have text skip from one cell down to the next row without it running off a page (hard return) Amy Not sure what you need here. If you want text to stop at a certain point in a cell then drop down to next cell below, just hit ENTER key whenever you choose. If you want the text on more than one line in a cell, you can hit ALT + ENTER to create a CR in the cell. Or just type it all in one cell then choose Wrap Text and widen the column. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:48:03 -0700, "Amy Maestas" <Amy Maestas@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Run code when text box content deleted
I am trying in vain to have the following run when the value of a text box becomes "" If txtDateReady = "" Then Me.lblWhyDelayed.Visible = False Me.txtWhyDelayed.Visible = False End If I have tried in 'txtDateReady_LostFocus' and 'txtDateReady_Change' but nothing happens. Help appreciated. Sandy Sandy wrote: > I am trying in vain to have the following run when the value of a > text box becomes "" > > If txtDateReady = "" Then > Me.lblWhyDelayed.Visible = False > Me.txtWhy...