changing text case

Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?

Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.
0
LindaB (6)

See:
http://www.officearticles.com/excel/change_the_case_of_text_in_cells_in_microsoft_excel.htm
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Linda B" <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?
>
> Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.

0
ng1 (1444)
1/28/2006 1:02:47 AM
Excel supports conversion to upper, lower or proper case, but it has no
sentence case. I created this UDF to provide this

Private Function SentenceCase(ByVal para As String) As String
Dim oRegExp As Object
Dim oMatch As Object
Dim oAllMatches As Object

    para = LCase(para)
    Set oRegExp = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
    oRegExp.Pattern = "^[a-z]|\.( )*[a-z]"
    oRegExp.Global = True
    Set oAllMatches = oRegExp.Execute(para)
    For Each oMatch In oAllMatches
        With oMatch
            Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1) = _
                UCase(Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1))
            End With
        Next oMatch
    SentenceCase = para
End Function

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Linda B" <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?
>
> Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
1/28/2006 1:20:48 PM
Hi Linda,

You can download "change case in excel cells" (for excel-2000+) that have
word's change case interface from below site.

http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/

With this, you can also
1. change case of selected text from the textbox in the com-addins
dialogbox.
2. change text case to sentence case.

Regards,
Shailesh Shah
http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/
(Excel Add-ins Page)

-----------------
Linda B <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?
>
> Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.

Thanks.  A simple answer.  But I have not been able to figure out where to
enter and apply the formula.  I am a novice at Excel.  I have Excel 2003.  I
read the help information on this subject, but cannot figure out what they
are telling me to do.  I tried what I thought they were telling me to do, but
it did not work.

"Anne Troy" wrote:

> See:
> http://www.officearticles.com/excel/change_the_case_of_text_in_cells_in_microsoft_excel.htm
> ************
> Hope it helps!
> Anne Troy
> www.OfficeArticles.com
>
> "Linda B" <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?
> >
> > Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.

0
LindaB (6)
1/30/2006 6:41:27 PM
Could you tell me where to enter this information? I have used Excel for
years but only on the very basic functions.  i.e. name & address databases or
lists where I only have to sum the total on a column.

thanks.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Excel supports conversion to upper, lower or proper case, but it has no
> sentence case. I created this UDF to provide this
>
> Private Function SentenceCase(ByVal para As String) As String
> Dim oRegExp As Object
> Dim oMatch As Object
> Dim oAllMatches As Object
>

>     para = LCase(para)
>     Set oRegExp = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
>     oRegExp.Pattern = "^[a-z]|\.( )*[a-z]"
>     oRegExp.Global = True
>     Set oAllMatches = oRegExp.Execute(para)
>     For Each oMatch In oAllMatches
>         With oMatch
>             Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1) = _
>                 UCase(Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1))
>             End With
>         Next oMatch
>     SentenceCase = para
> End Function
>

> --
>
> HTH
>
> Bob Phillips

> "Linda B" <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?
> >
> > Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.

0
LindaB (6)
1/30/2006 6:41:28 PM
Perfect.  I have a selection under format for change case now.

Would like to learn how to do it with formulas to stretch my knowledge, but
this is great.  The simpler the fix the better.

"Shailesh Shah" wrote:

> Hi Linda,
>
> You can download "change case in excel cells" (for excel-2000+) that have
> word's change case interface from below site.
>
> http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/
>
> With this, you can also
> 1. change case of selected text from the textbox in the com-addins
> dialogbox.
> 2. change text case to sentence case.
>
> Regards,
> Shailesh Shah
> http://in.geocities.com/shahshaileshs/
> (Excel Add-ins Page)

> -----------------
> Linda B <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?
> >
> > Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.

0
LindaB (6)
1/30/2006 6:43:28 PM
Hi Linda,
To install a macro posted in the newsgroup see
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm#havemacro

Some additional macros pertaining to your question
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm

For the worksheet  formulas they were pictured well on Anne's page
so I don't understand the problem with them.    Column A is the
 original data, and Column B is the helper column where you will
type in the formulas as shown, what you actually will see in Column B
is depicted in Column C.    After putting the formula into B1  you
would use the fill handle to the formula down.
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm
If you see your formula in  column B instead of the result, check that
  1)  you don't have a space in front of the formula
  2)  you do *not*  have the    formula view checked  in
          tools, options,  view(tab),  (uncheck) formula view
  3)  that you have automatic calculation turned on --
          tools, options, calculation (tab),  calculation: automatic

But macro solutions or the addin with a selection would be faster than
using  worksheet formulas so I really would not that method; however,
it is important that you understand  the use of the formulas, and the
fill handle, so go through the exercise of using the formulas you asked for.

HTH,

"Linda B" <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD3FDA22-626F-4AC6-95FD-31CCEA074748@microsoft.com...
> Could you tell me where to enter this information? I have used Excel for
> years but only on the very basic functions.  i.e. name & address databases or
> lists where I only have to sum the total on a column.
>
> thanks.
>
> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
> > Excel supports conversion to upper, lower or proper case, but it has no
> > sentence case. I created this UDF to provide this
> >
> > Private Function SentenceCase(ByVal para As String) As String
> > Dim oRegExp As Object
> > Dim oMatch As Object
> > Dim oAllMatches As Object
> >

> >     para = LCase(para)
> >     Set oRegExp = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
> >     oRegExp.Pattern = "^[a-z]|\.( )*[a-z]"
> >     oRegExp.Global = True
> >     Set oAllMatches = oRegExp.Execute(para)
> >     For Each oMatch In oAllMatches
> >         With oMatch
> >             Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1) = _
> >                 UCase(Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1))
> >             End With
> >         Next oMatch
> >     SentenceCase = para
> > End Function
> >

> > --
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Bob Phillips

> > "Linda B" <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there a way to change the text case in Excel?
> > >
> > > Ex. from all caps to Sentence case, etc.

Thanks.  I will read through your answer and do some testing of what I learn.

"David McRitchie" wrote:

> Hi Linda,
> To install a macro posted in the newsgroup see
>    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm#havemacro
>
> Some additional macros pertaining to your question
>     http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm
>
> For the worksheet  formulas they were pictured well on Anne's page
> so I don't understand the problem with them.    Column A is the
>  original data, and Column B is the helper column where you will
> type in the formulas as shown, what you actually will see in Column B
> is depicted in Column C.    After putting the formula into B1  you
> would use the fill handle to the formula down.
>    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm
> If you see your formula in  column B instead of the result, check that
>   1)  you don't have a space in front of the formula
>   2)  you do *not*  have the    formula view checked  in
>           tools, options,  view(tab),  (uncheck) formula view
>   3)  that you have automatic calculation turned on --
>           tools, options, calculation (tab),  calculation: automatic
>
> But macro solutions or the addin with a selection would be faster than
> using  worksheet formulas so I really would not that method; however,
> it is important that you understand  the use of the formulas, and the
> fill handle, so go through the exercise of using the formulas you asked for.
>
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "Linda B" <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD3FDA22-626F-4AC6-95FD-31CCEA074748@microsoft.com...
> > Could you tell me where to enter this information? I have used Excel for
> > years but only on the very basic functions.  i.e. name & address databases or
> > lists where I only have to sum the total on a column.
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> >
> > > Excel supports conversion to upper, lower or proper case, but it has no
> > > sentence case. I created this UDF to provide this
> > >
> > > Private Function SentenceCase(ByVal para As String) As String
> > > Dim oRegExp As Object
> > > Dim oMatch As Object
> > > Dim oAllMatches As Object
> > >

> > >     para = LCase(para)
> > >     Set oRegExp = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
> > >     oRegExp.Pattern = "^[a-z]|\.( )*[a-z]"
> > >     oRegExp.Global = True
> > >     Set oAllMatches = oRegExp.Execute(para)
> > >     For Each oMatch In oAllMatches
> > >         With oMatch
> > >             Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1) = _
> > >                 UCase(Mid(para, .FirstIndex + 1 + .Length - 1, 1))
> > >             End With
> > >         Next oMatch
> > >     SentenceCase = para
> > > End Function
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Bob Phillips
> > >
> > > (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct)
> > >
> > > "Linda B" <LindaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
LindaB (6)

Checking Data Change on Close
I want a data editing form to check for any changes when an exit button is clicked. So here is the following code that I have done. (I always get Run Time Error 13. Type Mismatch) Any help would be greatly appreciated! Private Sub Form_Close() If Me.DataChange Then Dim strMsg As String Dim Cancel As Integer strMsg = "Data has changed." strMsg = strMsg & " Do you wish to save the changes?" strMsg = strMsg & " Click Yes to Save or No to Discard changes." If MsgBox(strMsg, vbQuestion + vbYesNo, &...

Keeping focus on a text box
I have a form on which I'm using my own record selector buttons to move between records. I'd like to use some code to keep focus on a particular text box (ItemNum) when moving between records if ItemNum had the focus prior to moving to the next record. ItemNum is not the default 1st Text box on the form. Any suggestions? Thanks Kevin D "Kevin D." <KevinD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BF2CEF17-ADA7-4253-8CDD-DB2AC3DD5117@microsoft.com... > I have a form on which I'm using my own record selector buttons to move > between records. I...

Make text boxes the same height
I have 3 seperate text boxes that are side by side on a report, they vary in height and can grow, I want to put a solid box around each but I want them all to default to the tallest so as they look uniform when printed. I have spent a long time looking at other posts and trying some OnPrint event procedures but with no luck so far. I hope someone can help, thanks in advance Open your report in Design View and right click on your textbox and open the properties. Under the Format tab you will see a Width and Height field. These are the fields to adjust your textbox. If you hold down the ...

Changing Cutting & Pasting Default?
I do a lot of cutting from Photoshop and pasting into Excel. Is there a way to change the default so that when I cut and paste something, it will automatically draw a line on the edges, instead of having to do it manually every time? Thanks in advance for any help... Grativo ...

Hey Putzke: Menstrual Cramps Linked to Brain Changes! Just FYI
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/menstrual-cramps-linked-brain/story?id=11370042 Can you even read and understand the article? Just FYI. Oops. You don't have a brain. Never mind. Just FYI. On Aug 11, 7:42=A0pm, "Kevin John Panzke" <kevvpan...@hotmail.com> wrote: > "Agnasty Shagnasty" <Agna...@shagnasty.org> wrote in message > > news:4c62faa7@news.x-privat.org... > > > > > > > > > "Kevin John Panzke" <kevin.pan...@gmail.com> wrote in message > >news:76642de2-895f-...

Excel Bi-weekly time sheet change dates to Thursday- Wednesday?
I downloaded a Bi-weekly timesheet for Excel. The timesheet is perfect except for the date part. The time sheet comes with a Monday to Friday bi-weekly time set-up and I need to change it to a Thursday to Wednesday bi-weekly time set-up. At present I had to individually change the days starting with the Thursday and when I change the start date and ending dates the only days that automatically change are the first Thursday to Sunday settings (4 days). How do I set it up so that all days change when I put the start date and end date at the top of the sheet? Hi Starting with the cel...

Numbers automatically change to a symbol
I am creating a chart & when I type a cetain number into a cell once i move to the next cell Excel automatically changes it to #####. How do I stop this?? Bulldog Mama Hi Bulldog Mama, Try widening the relevant column(s). --- Regards, Norman "Bulldog Mama" <Bulldog Mama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36FB0F1E-6E0C-49BA-AB9D-763ECD7172D3@microsoft.com... >I am creating a chart & when I type a cetain number into a cell once i move > to the next cell Excel automatically changes it to #####. > > How do I stop this?? > > Bulldog...

How do I stop styles from changing when I save and reopen the file
I frequently use styles to format my documents. However, sometimes I have noticed that when I save a document, close it and then open it later, the style formats have changed. This most often seems to happen on Headers - for example when I save the file there will be outline numbering applied to Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. but when I open it next time the numbering is gone or the font on the numbering has changed. I've also had my paragraph spacing change - such as I changed a style to only have 4pt after a paragraph and when I reopen the document (or someone else opens it)...

Macro to change X-axis scale has errors
I've read and studied code from a number of posts on this subject but my "newbie" macro code has errors. I have the minimumscale value and maximumscale value (entered by the user) stored in Sheet1 at $E$2 and $F$2. My chart is in Sheet2. This is my complete macro: Sub ChangeXAxisScale() ' ' ChangeXAxisScale Macro ' With Worksheets("Sheet2") With ActiveChart.Axes(1, 1) .MinimumScale = Range("$E$2").Value .MaximumScale = Range("$F$2").Value End With End With End Sub I know I am missing s...

Changing account access to applications
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090505000902020706000303 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I recently added a password to my logon. That added a "Guest" account to my logon screen. I see that some applications that I installed over the years are available to the guest account. Can I remove access without having to reinstall the application? --------------090505000902020706000303 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &q...

insert blank line when text changes
Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to write a macro or something else... so while scrolling down a list everytime the text changes (in this case a name) a blank line would be inserted. Hi try the following macro. It tests column A and inserts a blank row if the values change Sub insert_rows() Dim lastrow As Long Dim row_index As Long lastrow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.count, "A").End(xlUp).row For row_index = lastrow - 1 To 1 Step -1 If Cells(row_index, "A").Value <> Cells(row_index + 1, "A").Value Then Cells(row_index + 1, "A").Ent...

Row height changes when copying and pasting
I have several rows which are relatively large but which have a small font in the cells. When I copy and paste to another area or another worksheet, the row height decreases to fit the small font. How can I keep the row height the same when copying and pasting? I've tried several options in paste special but nothing works. I'm using Excel 97 at home and 2000 at work and they both do the same. Thanks in advance, -- BT You might just want to learn how to use the Format Painter. http://www.officearticles.com/misc/format_painter_in_microsoft_office.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy w...

Prevent format change caused by pasting. (office '97)
Every time I paste something that was from an website (even if only one word) the column extends as far right as it allows. I found out that I can change the format (under paste special) back to text to fix this. Is there a way to prevent excel for changing format? I want it to default as text format and not change format unless I change it myself. Also is there a way to keep the text at one font and one text size, so that if I paste something that had a different size or font it would change to the size and font that I have set for my document (I want to know how to do this in Word as well.)...

How can i change cell colour depending on month of date in cell?
I have a column with a range of dates corresponding to when an item was tested and would like to automatically change the colour depending o which month it was tested. Jan-Mar = red, Apr-Jun= green, Jul-Sep blue and Oct-Dec= yellow. No date = no colour. Anyone have an suggestions? Do I need to run a macro or is there a simpler way? Thanks And -- andy7 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- andy75's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3017 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49860 ...

Flashing Text
How can I make a text flash RED when say a cell is negative? :confused: j ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I don't think you can, and why ever would you want to? It would drive people nuts, and is not a good design principle. You could make the background or foreground red by using Conditional Formatting. You will find it under the Format menu. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from t...

Public Folder Changing default
I have a Public folder server that is being replaced. I am replicating the content to a new server but users are sometimes connecting to the new server which has the hierarchy but not all the content. Is there a way to keep user from logging onto this new PF server until all the replication is done? -- RS MCSE, MCP +I MCP what is the default public folder configured to be for the users on this store? you might want/need to change that... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Rschraeger" <Rschraeger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF834694-B5B7-4D15-89BC-CB29810A373...

Strike through text in Publisher 2003
I'm new to this product- how do I get strike through text? I've tried importing a style from Word but the formatting gets stripped out. Any help appreciated to meet a deadline! Microsoft decided you no longer needed Strike-through and removed it. Who do you think you are questing the decisions Microsoft make in your interest, and secondly, do you honestly really expect software programs from the same company to be compatible - unbelievable if you do and also believe in quality control. -- MSN supports racism and discrimination against indigenous Australians and Chinese. "I...

Extract text content from MS office files
Hi, I want to extract text content MS-OFFICE documents like word, ppt, xls... Plz gimme some tips. Regard Jack ...

INDEX-MATCH with cell text driven names
Hi, I've read through a few posts that are close to what I'm trying to do but i can't get it to work. I'm constructing a fantasy F1 spreadsheet while i'm bored off work sick. Sheetnames in workbook DriverSummary, AUS, MAL, CHN, BHR,.....for each round/country of the season. Each sheet race sheet has a column for car number in called AUSarray, MALarray etc. AUSREF is cell A1 on the race sheets My current formula in the diver summary works well and is shown below. I have N() to return 0 when a race hasn't happened yet so that my sum() works. =N(OFFSET(AUSREF;MATCH($A4;AUS...

Merge text stacked upon an object into one picture?
I placed a graphic (vinal record disc) then stacked text upon it via text boxes. Can they be merged into one copyable picture? What version Publisher? Group the objects, right-click, save as picture. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Chiefhollis" <Chiefhollis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:901225A7-9A8E-4046-BF7A-5FF17E06CB6D@microsoft.com... >I placed a graphic (vinal record disc) then stacked text upon it via text > boxes. Can they be merged into one copyable picture? It ...

Combining & formatting cells with text
I have imported data from another application, SAP, into a spreadsheet. There are 2 or more cells per row that contain text. I want to combine them into one cell with wrapped text to be able to read easier or I would like to export all of the text cells to Word without having it separated into separate cells in word. Any help would be appreciated. Bob In C1 enter =A1 & " " & B1 Copy C1 and(in place)Paste Special>Value>OK>Esc. Set wrap text on C1. Delete A1 and B1 if you want to. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:28:18 -0800, "Bob" &...

Missing email content, body text, from etc
I have one user on our exchange 5.0 system thats having some weird problems. We have a exchange 5.0 box that handles internal mail. We also have pop accounts with our ISP. In the client (Outlook 2000) I get the pop account to drop all the pop email into the exchange mailbox. Everything seems to be working okay from inside the network. We have another building with computers setup. This computers (XP) have a vpn connection and outlook XP set up the same as it would be on the internal network. Users connect via the vpn connection and then open outlook. It shows their exchange box and also coll...

ACC2000: changing report .Filter does not work
I'm still working on issues in earlier threads. When I use code to change my report's .Filter and set .FilterOn to true, I get no records. When I manually go to the report design, change the .Filter and ..FilterOn, I also get no records. Here's the code I use to change .Filter via code: sWhere = "[cus_no] = '" & sCustnum & "'" DoCmd.OpenReport sReportname, acViewDesign ' Must come before "set rpt" Set rpt = Reports(sReportname) rpt.Filter = sWhere rpt.FilterOn = True DoCmd.Close , , acSaveYes DoEvents ' Allow Access to sa...

Suggestion: Integration Manager & focus change.
I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this suggestion. However there seems to be great Dynamics GP discussion going on with good ISV, MSFT and customer participation. Dear MSFT, Pretty please, with sugar on top, it would be awesome if the Integration Manager did not grab windows focus when doing integrations. Specifically, SOP integration it can take upwards of 10 minutes every day for my environment. Any warning thrown during integration it changes the focus (but does not bring the window to the front) to the IM. As our SOP integration truncates item descriptions to 100 charac...

Change Organization name and use exisiting CRM DB
I did a search on this could not find it here. We need to change the organization name and be able to re-use the data which is already in the CRM Database. Is this going to work? what are the steps? I know probably the redeployment is one way. correct? any other way? The original CRM key and org-name was MSDN and the new one is "official" Microsoft issued license with the legal company name. Thanks for any suggestions. Regards Max Sounds like this is for v1.2. In that case, the Redeployment Tool is the only way to go. There are too many ties between the DB and AD in v1.2. -...