Changing font colour in some cells

Hi
I am quite new to Excel!
I can change the appearance of text using bold, italic and underline but am
having problems with colour. When I select an active cell and click on a
colour nothing seems to happen. If I go back to the cell and double click it
shows the text in the colour I want but when I move to another cell it
reverts to black. Can anyone help please?

0
W (121)

Does this happen with all workbooks or just one? If the latter, maybe there
is some event code behind the sheet. On the tab  name, right-click and
select View Code from the menu, if you see some code delete it.

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"Di W" <Di W@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I am quite new to Excel!
> I can change the appearance of text using bold, italic and underline but
am
> having problems with colour. When I select an active cell and click on a
> colour nothing seems to happen. If I go back to the cell and double click
it
> shows the text in the colour I want but when I move to another cell it
> reverts to black. Can anyone help please?

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
3/12/2006 1:37:17 PM
If the high contrast setting is turned on you won't see the font colour.
There's information in the following MSKB article:

Changes to the fill color and the fill pattern are not displayed in
Office programs
      http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320531

Di W wrote:
> Hi
> I am quite new to Excel!
> I can change the appearance of text using bold, italic and underline but am
> having problems with colour. When I select an active cell and click on a
> colour nothing seems to happen. If I go back to the cell and double click it
> shows the text in the colour I want but when I move to another cell it
> reverts to black. Can anyone help please?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
3/12/2006 3:48:32 PM
Many thanks. Problem solved!

Di W

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> If the high contrast setting is turned on you won't see the font colour.
> There's information in the following MSKB article:
>
> Changes to the fill color and the fill pattern are not displayed in
> Office programs
>       http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320531
>

> Di W wrote:
> > Hi
> > I am quite new to Excel!
> > I can change the appearance of text using bold, italic and underline but am
> > having problems with colour. When I select an active cell and click on a
> > colour nothing seems to happen. If I go back to the cell and double click it
> > shows the text in the colour I want but when I move to another cell it
> > reverts to black. Can anyone help please?
> >

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

DiW (2)
3/12/2006 5:58:37 PM
Bob

The problem was to do with the high contrast setting, but thanks for your
suggestion.
Di W

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Does this happen with all workbooks or just one? If the latter, maybe there
> is some event code behind the sheet. On the tab  name, right-click and
> select View Code from the menu, if you see some code delete it.
>
> --
>  HTH
>
> Bob Phillips

> "Di W" <Di W@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I am quite new to Excel!
> > I can change the appearance of text using bold, italic and underline but
> am
> > having problems with colour. When I select an active cell and click on a
> > colour nothing seems to happen. If I go back to the cell and double click
> it
> > shows the text in the colour I want but when I move to another cell it
> > reverts to black. Can anyone help please?

0
DiW (2)

Changing Resource and fields on a subform
I have a subform with fields on it that are present when i first open the form. But when I click on a status button, I'd like the subform to change the fields that are present. For instance when i first open the fields are formid, lastname, firstname, subject, date, range But when i click on formstatus button, i'd like the fields to show: formid, subject, range, product I know how to use recordsource to change the recordsource, but then the fields that I am not using show up as #name? How do I get the subform to change field names so that the fields I am not using, doesn't show ...

Show which cell has MAX, MIN values?
At the bottom of a couple thousand rows of data, I have =MAX and =MIN formulas. Is there some way I could make the cells beneath my MAX and MIN formulas show me the address of which cell has the displayed MAX or MIN value? At least the row number? Ed Ed, To return the row =MATCH(cell with Max or Min value,range starting in row 1,false) or to return the address, say, in Cell N3000, for a value given in N2999 =ADDRESS(MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE),COLUMN(N1)) or to return other matching information, like a name in column A =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE)) HTH, Bernie MS E...

Paste links, changed filename
I have created 3 exel 97 Files. Each File has approx 30 sheets. One of them is a source file. The other 2 use file1 data using paste link(paste special). At some stage I have changed the names of the files and now when I open them it asks the usual question " do you want to update linked information", Iclick "yes" ~ then the computer wants me to select the source file. Before, it just started straight into the file I wanted ~ how can i resolve this( with as little effort as possible)? Try hitting no, then do Edit / Links / Change Source, save the workbook and hopef...

"Change Credit Details" button does not appear
I would like to update my interest rates and credit limits monthly, but the "Change Credit Details" button does not appear when I go under the accounts' settings. In microsoft.public.money, mar11974 wrote: >I would like to update my interest rates and credit limits monthly, but the >"Change Credit Details" button does not appear when I go under the accounts' >settings. See if http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281109/en-us helps. I've no idea if it helped the original poster, but it seems I have the same issue, and it didn't help me. I'm ...

can u convert a mac font to pc for me? (reply and i'll send it to ur e mail)
I doubt anyone will respond positively to your request. Fonts are usually copyrighted, and converting them would be a violation of that copyright. This is especially true if the font is a commercial font. Can you not find a Mac equivalent? I believe I've run across freeware converters for just this purpose. You might try versiontracker. I know I found something to convert some fonts I absolutely needed in a bind (but I have since forgotten). "serdar" <serdarsoy@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:elqKvj0cFHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > > In addition,...

can i change the read receipt
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0108_01C6AD7D.3E5D58A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable The read receipt by default set by outlook can be changed if yes pls. = let me know how ??? ITDuke ------=_NextPart_000_0108_01C6AD7D.3E5D58A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"te...

Can't see text box fill colour
I have recently reloaded Office Small Business following a hard drive crash. I made some changes to display in Control Panel Accessibility this time that weren't there before. I've changed back to default but the problem continues. Previously I could fill or border text boxes and see the results in both normal view and print preview. Now the fill/border colour is only visible in print preview. Borders appear as black and fills as white in normal view. Text colours are unaffected. This is making life difficult as white text in a black fill just disappears until I go to pr...

Change height of row
Excel seems to limit the height of the row to some presets. Is there a way to set height of row to any height? Am trying to make spreadsheet line up with a pre-printed form. Hi i think the limit is 1 pixel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Pam MacT" <Pam MacT@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:CCAE9073-80C5-47B1-B103-7834241AF34B@microsoft.com... > Excel seems to limit the height of the row to some presets. Is there a > way > to set height of row to any height? Am trying to make spreadsheet line up > with a pre-printed form. ...

require cell completion in a form?
I have a very simple form in Excel. I'm not sure if it matters, but the machine I'm on uses Excel 2002, and most of the users are on Excel 2000. The first 2 questions on my form require that the user select from a list of names, and then select their relationship to that person. Then the users answer a series of questions about this person's job performance. I'm using data validation to manage the two drop-down lists - the names and the relationships. However, about a third of my users end up leaving one or both of these cells blank. I have a comment box set up as a remin...

how to change business address
I can't seem to figure out for the life of me WHERE OR HOW to change my business address so my NEW address prints on my invoices now that I have moved. Can anyone help me with this? PLEASE????? LGLEIM In microsoft.public.money, LGleim wrote: > can't seem to figure out for the life of me WHERE OR HOW to change my >business address so my NEW address prints on my invoices now that I have >moved. Can anyone help me with this? PLEASE????? Is there a Tools->Settings->BusinessInformation place? YES!!! You did it! Thank you so much! "Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote: ...

Changing info from one worksheet to the next
Hi all. I have linked my 55 sheets to one which is great. What i need to know now if possible. Each sheet has the same question over 11 columns Each row is dated and a numeric number from 1 - 10 in each row Now on the master sheet where everything is linked, is there a way that If i changed the date on the master sheet it would reflect the answers from the row with that date? At present the answers showing is for 01/03/10, but i would like to look at the totals for 08/03/10 and show the answers from each sheet for that date. I could have a sheet for each week, but im hoping there i...

Last cell with data in a range
I enter weekly data into a spreadsheet with a summary page at the front. After every week, when new data is entered, I want the formula at the front to use the cell with the new data instead of me having to change the existing formula. For example, my data looks like this: A B C 276 300 421 175 0 0 0 I need a formula that will automatically detect the last number >0 in column C. Thank you for your assistance! =Countif(C2:C1000,">0") so your main page formula might be something like: =...

Average range of discontinuous cells
I have a block of columns (P-CT) that I need to average but only every 4th one. Example: I need to average P, T, X, AB, AF, AJ, AN, AR, AV, AZ, BD, BH, BL, BP, BT, BX, CB, CF, CJ, CN, CR. If I just type =AVERAGE(selecting these cells) it gives me 40238 when the only one with a value is cell P. These cells contain dates if anything. They are payment dates. I need the average number of dates it took to pay something. Any ideas for Excel 2003? Thanks. Never mind. I forgot to include my beginning date. It works. Just user error. "Nadine" wrote: > ...

Changing name from Arabic to English
I, m registering all new recruitment employees so always I'm writing the employee name by Arabic and English. So there is any code to change automatically the person name for Arabic to English ...

How do you turn off "Save a copy/Overwrite changes" dialog box
Hello Guys, I have created a (password to open) workbook using Excel 2003 SP1 on a shared network drive which when I try to save by using Ctrl S or clicking the Save icon gives me an irritating dialog box which asks: "The file 'filename.xls' may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case what do you want to do?" -Save a copy -Overwrite changes Please can someone tell me how to deactivate this annoying dialog box as I have been unsuccesful so far in my efforts :confused: Many thanks in advance Nick -- Nicko -----------------------------...

How do I change mailbox owner in AD?
How do I change a mailbox owner in AD? Can it be done? T. The mailbox is linked to the user account. You can grant an additional user(s) "owner" access by granting Full Mailbox access on the Exchange Advanced Tab of the user properties. Glen "Thomas Houseman" <thomashouseman@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OZwMptUxEHA.2192@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > How do I change a mailbox owner in AD? Can it be done? > > T. > > Verify that you have mailbox retention enabled. ( right-click mailbox store/properties/limits). This is extremely Important! ...

SetFont does not set font
Hello again, Yet another problem I am afraid and I would once more like to call upon a little external wisdom. I am having a major problem with CFont and the SetFont. Mainly: It doesnt want to work. I am using the CreatePointFont method on a CFont object defined in global scope at the top of my dialog. I then attempt to try and use SetFont on a dialog, and on a button, and on anything else for that matter and the effect it has is zero. I am using it in my InitDialog routine yet I still get nothing when I paint text to the window, or when I view the buttons on the dialog. Has anyone g...

retaining fonts when placing excel worksheet into pagemaker?
I am currently placing excel worksheets into Pagemaker software. I am having particular trouble with retaining the fonts in the text cells. When it appears in pagemaker the spacing is wierd and the numbers eg.(12/8) are crammed together. I used excel 2003. I am not a pagemaker wizard soooooooooo please help. Cindy I think PageMaker will let you Edit-->Paste special-->as a picture, won't it? Sorry, it's been a long time... ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "parrydise" <parrydise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Permission for account change
Dear Friends I have my domain as abc.com I have another domain xyz.com for which i have created a separate account for the users so that they can send the email with both the domain by using from filed. i have one user user1 who is facing problem i have created userxyz for with the default email address of xyz.com domain but i am facing strange problem as the permission of sending email is reseting. Kindly suggest what can be the problem. best regards Niitmalad What version of Exchange and how/where exactly it is resetting? Niitmalad wrote: > Dear Friends > > I have...

display cell value in msgbox formatted as %
Hi I have been trying to come up with a way to display a cell value in a msgbox so that it formats properly as a percent. I have tried: Productivity = Format(Range("A1").Value, "###,# %") Msgbox Productivity This always gives me a leading 0 (e.g 015%) and I want it to display 15.0%. So I tried this: Productivity = Format(CStr(Range("A1").Value) * 100, "#,###.0") & "%" and it works ok but... I want to use the value of productivity in computations - which I can't formatted as a string ... Am I missing something - or is it as simple...

Can multiple cell results be displayed in a single cell?
Is it possible to display the contents of multiple separate cells in another single cell? If the results of several cells say B1, B2, and B3 are the amounts $10, $15 and $20, I would like to display them in cell A1 as follows: $10 $15 $20 I could do this statically by using text and the 'Alt|Enter' function within the cell. However, these amounts will change from time to time so I'd like a link. Is this possible or not? Thanks for any help. Brett Brett One way: In A1: ="$"&B1&CHAR(10)&"$"&B2&CHAR(10)&"$"&B3&am...

Appending data in cells that utilize a Dropdown list.
Hello all, I would like to append entries in cells that utilize a dropdown list. Currently, when I select (in this case names) from my dropdown list I cannot append them if I want to add more than one to a cell. If I select another name from the dropdown, it erases the first entry. Is there some way to append entries within cells that use this form of validation so that I can enter more than one in a cell from the dd list? -- Thanks, Geek using Office XP Professional Hi Geek Debra Dalgleish has an example workbook showing how to do this http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html...

Using color to ignore cells in a formula?????
Is it possible to set up a formula in excel to ingore certain cells if you should change the color of that cell to a color. Example: =sum(a1:a50) if cell A25 was blue how can I ignore it so that it is not calculated? Mike A. Hi only with VBA. See: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm and http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Mike A." <MikeA@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:65C99320-9FE3-4E11-81C2-C262B82B565B@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to set up a formula in excel to ingore cer...

Worksheet Change Event log for multiple cells
Dear All, I have a spreadsheet that is available here: http://www.filefactory.com/file/b02e5h4/n/Worksheet_change_event.zip (although I scanned it for viruses please make sure you do it again prior to opening it as I cannot guarantee it's worm free). I would like to create a log file in an additional sheet (hidden probably) that would record every activity from column E after clicking a button assigned to a cell in that column and show these records in a worksheet Totals in a specific row. For example: Column A from a worksheet „Totals” corresponds with column A in ...

change the size of Font for reading incoming mail
hi, buddies. I'd like to change the Font with incoming email in my outlook2003. my operation is in the following. click options on the Tools menu, and then click Mail Setup tab, click Fonts. So I change the Font in this items:"When composing and reading plain text" but I can't find the font to take any change when I read incoming email. What my question is how I can change the Font size in the incoming email. thanks is the incoming mail plain text and the change isn't working or is the incoming mail html? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://ww...