Change Columns to Letters

I want to run a CountIf statement E.g

=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"General queries")

However, on the columns there are no letters, only numbers.  So both
the rows and the colums have letters.

Does anyone know how i can change the columns from numbers to letters.

Thanks for helping

Dave

--
David494
David494's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24482

If anyone still knows how to do this then can you please let me know.

However, i figured out that i can just use "R2C1:R35C1" instead

Cheers

Dave

--
David494
David494's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24482
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=391226

> Does anyone know how i can change the columns from numbers to letters.

Not sure, but based on the above line, perhaps try clicking:

Tools > Options > General tab > Uncheck "R1C1 reference style > OK

--
Rgds
Max

> I want to run a CountIf statement E.g
>
> =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"General queries")
>
> However, on the columns there are no letters, only numbers.  So both
> the rows and the colums have letters.
>
> Does anyone know how i can change the columns from numbers to letters.
>
> Thanks for helping
>
> Dave
>

> --
> David494
> David494's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24482
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=391226

0
demechanik (4694)
7/29/2005 10:24:28 AM
"David494" <David494.1sxh6r_1122635203.5953@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:David494.1sxh6r_1122635203.5953@excelforum-nospam.com...

> If anyone still knows how to do this then can you please let me know.
>
> However, i figured out that i can just use "R2C1:R35C1" instead

Tools-Options-General and uncheck "R1C1" style box.

0
gordon7598 (483)
7/29/2005 11:13:00 AM
hey that worked fine

Thanks for your help, much appreciated mate

Dav

--
David49
David494's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2448
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39122

You're welcome !
--
Rgds
Max
"David494" <David494.1sxk15_1122639271.3674@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:David494.1sxk15_1122639271.3674@excelforum-nospam.com...

> hey that worked fine
>
> Thanks for your help, much appreciated mate
>
> Dave

0
demechanik (4694)

bussiness,bussiness cards,bussiness week,bussiness letter format,bussiness casual,bussiness plan,bussiness letter,bussiness card size,bussiness card template,bussiness objects,bussiness for sale
Getting started with home-based business may be troublesome and in many cases people may get mystified on 'how to actually go about it'. Many individuals wish to undertake online business, but the fears of starting usually pull them behind. Here, you need to realize that 'information' is the function of acquaintance which means that 'the more knowledge one gets regarding what he wants to do, the easier and better it becomes for him to do it'. Therefore, you need to look for useful details before you decide to undertake home based business. More Detailed Visit:...

change fonts for specific fields in a report
A Great Plains report prints checks. The check amount field is too small and needs to be increased. How does one change the font of a particular field in a Great Plains report? If the report is a text report, you can't change the font. If it's a graphical report, click on the field and press <Ctrl-D>. "caincognito@yahoo.com" wrote: > A Great Plains report prints checks. The check amount field is too > small and needs to be increased. How does one change the font of a > particular field in a Great Plains report? > > If it is a text report, you...

Where to change my own internet adress in "FROM:" field?
I am using Outlook 2003 with Exchange server. My own eMail address is presented to recipients as Aaaaa.Bbbbbb@ccccccc.com Note: mixing of capital and lower letters I want my email address completely changed to lower letters: aaaaa.bbbbbb@ccccccc.com Where in Outlook can I change this? or is this a setting in Exchange Server ? Joe This is a setting in ADUC/Exchange. I would guess that everyone is set up with the same format throughout the company. -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "Joe deAngelo" wr...

Changing menu bar height
Hello, is there a way to change the menu bar height of an application? Regards, Nicola I dont see how that can be done without replacing the whole menu mechanism. You can do that if you want by putting in a toolbar/rebar which acts as a menu. Example MFCIE shows how to make a toolbar as a menu. YOu can change the height of the toolbar/rebar to what you want. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Nicolas Bonamy" <mynab@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OUgmBPOjDHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... | Hello, | | is there a way to change the menu bar height of an appl...

Creating a combination chart using cluster column & stacked bar t.
I need to create a combination chart, using cluster column and stacked bar types. I need to "cluster" two columns side by side without space in between, with stacked bars within each of these columns. Then, have space along the x axis, and have 2 more columns clustered made up of stacked bars within. I am charting 2 years side by side, with different types of data within the columns, so need to stack/segment the column. How do I create and combination chart, and how do I select these 2 types to combine together? HELP, PLEASE?!? If you stagger your data, you can create sid...

Reports
Sorry if this may seem an obvious question; I've recently started with CRM 3.0 and have been staring at it for too long! I have created a custom field on the case form called TimeSpent. On my journey to Utopia (to send e-mail automatically to client with Case Desc, Time Spent, Time Remaining) my immediate basic requirement is just to have TimeSpent as one of the columns. So, until I get to Utopia, I generate report - Export to Excel - click to drill down - and I have most of columns except for my custom TimeSpent! Can anyone help me Regards Did you publish your customizations? Hi F...

Changing positive values to negative
I’m using excel 2007with windows xp pro. I use excel very infreuently and not since upgrading to 2007. I have a long column of dollar values that I need to change from positive to negative values such as: $123.45 ($123.45) I can accomplish the feat manually over many hours by F2>.HOME>- > ENTER> DOWN ARROW and repeat and repeat and repeat. Or I can use a macro. But using a macro has changed from years ago. When I tried the macro inserted a specific value of cell rather than the value of the selected cell. So that didn’t work. What can make this conversion easier? If t...

adding values from 2 columns
I am trying to compose a personal cash flow chart where I can enter outgoings and income for every day of the month and see what the balance is on any day. I need to get a value in Col F which adds the value in Col C (daily income), subtracts the value in Col E (daily outgoings) and shows the balance. Also I may have to specify several rows if I have multiple outgoings on a particular day. Any ideas gratefully received. Gaby Sounds like you want a checkbook register. Something like this? A B C D E Start Bal $1,023.32 Date Item Expense Deposit Balance $10.12 $1,013.20 $23.3...

Get/change operation on Table
I am trying to set up the transit numbers in the bank Maintenance screen (View>>Financial Lists>>Checkbooks ->under the Bank ID link). When I try to save the changes made to the Bank Maintenance screen I get the error a get/change operation on table 'ME_Pay_Check_Setup' cannot find the table. If I press ok, I get another error stating that I "Cannot run the trigger script." If I Press More Info I get a SQL error stating that it is an invalid object name. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. You have the Mekorma MICR Check...

Password Change
Hi, I am using Money 2007 Deluxe and want change my password at a financial institution. The change at the bank works fine, but Money keeps reverting to old password. Hee's is how I try to make change. From the account register, I go to "Change account settings" then "Change bank or brokerage passwords" then "Edit user ID or password" I then type, not copy and paste, my new password and "Save Changes" I then try to update online and am told password and or user id, incorrect. When I go back to "Edit user ID or password" my old password i...

How to change owner (From:) of a public folder, newsgroup post
How do I change the Owner or From: for a newsgroup post. This is a post in an Exchange 2003 public folder of type newsgroup. The posts in question are from a generic user account and I need to change it to the specific user. I tried by opening the post, choosing Edit menu -> Revise Contents, and changing the From: to the new person. But it would not save, and if I reposted it would keep the original user (poster) in the From: field (and of course it also changed the post to the current date/time). I have tried this method, to no avail, using the original user, and two different a...

Products by column constants
A ver y simple question for your experts. I have a column of number that I want to multiply by a constant ( a price list tthat I need t increase by 5%). How to do? I can do one line at a time but how do I d the entire column -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com conn Enter 1.05 in a cell. Copy this. Select your data column and Paste Special>Multiply>OK>Esc. If you set up your formulas initially with a multiplier cell in the formula you can just change the value in the multiplier cell. e.g. Formula in C1 =(A1+B1)*D1 Change the value in D1 and the result in C1 will...

Excel 2007
Hi all, We have a spreadsheet that was set up to link to a database via a system DSN. To simplify deployment of this, I'd like to change this to connect via the connection string below: DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=xxx;UID=xxx;PWD=xxx;DATABASE=xxx; I've done this for another spreadsheet, and it was easy (Data tab- >Connections->Properties), but in this next spreadsheet the Connection Properties for one connection are greyed out/disabled, so I can't change the string. Does anyone have any ideas how to enable these values again so I can change the connection string? thanks! ...

Printing a worksheet in two (or more) columns
Hi, I've got an extremely long spreadsheet table comprising two columns of data. I'd like to print these data in a more compact form - in the same way that the entries are organised in a telephone directory. Say on average my page is 50 rows high - my first two columns on page 1 would appear on the left hand side and be rows 1 through 50, row 51 would continue at the top of the page, but on the right-hand side. Row 101 would appear at the top left hand side of page 2, etc. I'd like to keep the orientation of the columns in portrait (I did find a printer-associ...

Change reference in formula from cell address to name
I'm fairly sure I saw this yesterday somewhere in this forum, but after almost two hours of searching, and not finding, I figure I've earned the right to ask - if only because someone should feel sorry for my pathetic search skills (or bad memory). Example: say I have a formula =$A$1+$B$2. Later, I name cell A1 "start" and B2 "finish". The original formula above still has the cell references and not the cell names (it does not change to =start+finish). How can I get the formulae created prior to naming cells to change and reflect the cell names? Secondly, give...

change cell values from an edit box
Is there any way to change a cell's value with an edit box? I've used drop down lists to change/update values, but I have no experience at all with edit boxes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mike ...

how can i relate between two columns in two sheets?
Question no too clear - you can use this space to give a detailed question. But here goes: On Sheet1 I can type formulas such as =Sheet2!A1 =SUM(Sheet2!A:A10) If I type = and then click on the cell A1 of a worksheet called My Yearly Totals, I will get the formula ='My Yearly Totals'!A1 Note that a sheet name having spaces get surrounded by single quotes. Does this answer your question? best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP people.stfx.ca/bliengme email address: remove uppercase characters REMEMBER: Microsoft is closing the newsgroups; We will all me...

How can I automatically remove duplicate data within a column?
Is there a way to automatically remove duplicated data within a column in Excel? For example, I have a column of over 10000 rows. The cell contents are call numbers, many of them are duplicate and I'd like to remove them without sorting and manually removing them. Chip Pearson has a means for doing this at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm If it is just a single column, though, you can use Data>Filter>Advanced Filter. Once there, select Copy to a new Location and Unique Records only. That will give you a list of unique values in your column - i.e., no duplicates...

How to remove contacts when email changes
Outlook 2003 If I receive an email from a sender not on my list, that sender's email address is not automatically added to my contacts but will appear on the automated list when I enter the first letter of the sender's email address. If that sender changes email address I cannot delete the old email address. Instead I am left with two email addresses for that sender both of which will appear on the automated list. How can I remove the old email address? You seem to be confused. Receiving an email does not add an address anywhere in Outlook. Sending an email might, a...

creating a function for dividing two columns
I am trying to keep track of softball stats. I trying to make a column of batting averages. I have at bats in column b, hits in column c with the results in column d. I cant get the function right so it will display the correct result. use this =SUM(C1/B1) in cell D1. Format D1 as a number with 3 decimal places. Steve Hubbard "cflan" <cflan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:212BF952-55B9-45DF-BC8C-E8B670FA6010@microsoft.com... > I am trying to keep track of softball stats. I trying to make a column of > batting averages. I have at bats in column b,...

Dup check 2 columns
Using Excel 2007, I have a two column list with over 100,000 rows. Example: Jane Doe U Jane Doe John Doe John Doe U John Doe Jack Doe Jack Doe I want to run a dup check to make sure there is only one Jane, Jack or John Doe, but the copy I want to stay is the one with a U behind it if there is one (wouldn't matter which row is kept for Jack). From what I've done so far, the dup check simply keeps whichever record is in the top row. Seems like it should be an easy fix, but I'm lost. Please help. Hi, If the rows you want to keep ar...

combining 2 columns of data
hello my problem is i have a list of names (one column of first names, and one column of last names), my boss says we need to have the first and last names in the same column. Is there any way that the Data can be combined without having to retype all 5000 names?? You can write a formula in a new cell to combine cells. For instance if the first name is in A1 and the last name is in B1, you can write a formula in C1 like this: =A1&" "&B1 This joins the value of A1 with a space and the value of B1. If you need to you can arrange it to be last name comma first name: =B1&a...

Change legend text in Excel Chart
Dim appAs Excel.Application Dim chart As Excel.Chart Set app = CreateObject("Excel.Application") chart.HasLegend = true My problem is how do I change the label of the legend used in the excel.chart ? Can someone show me how to access it ? thanks. Quest You use the Name property of the SeriesCollection method like so This will set the name property of seriescollection 1 to the value test Chart.SeriesCollection(1).Name = "=""Test""" Not sure if Excel will like you using the variable Chart?? -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, En...

letters in IF formulas? #3
If the value in a cell is a letter, can that be used in an IF formula? I am making a simple chore worksheet for my kids. Each chore (cell) is represented by a letter. Also, each chore is worth a certain amount of money (i.e. K chore is worth $1) I would like them to be able to enter in their chore letter when it's completed and let the spread sheet enter and calculate the amounts and running totals. Can this be done? For example: =IF(c7=K,1,IF(c7=X,2)) HI No problem, type it this way =IF(A1="A",1,IF(A1="B",2,"")) adjust range to your needs. You ca...

Fastest way to deploy changes
Hi everyone. I'm giving some advises to certain company. They have a Project STANDARD Environment (2007) and I've created several custom fields for their Projects. Since they have between 20 and 30 projects, I need to find the fastest way to deploy changes in that custom fields. So far I've followed these steps: 1.Make changes to the custom field in the project template. 2.Copy modified field to the global (overwriting the existing one) 3.Copy field from global to EACH project (have to open one by one) Changes include: formulas, lookup tables values, graphic ind...