Change a formula to an acual number

I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has created
Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1 creatin
the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?
0
anonymous (74722)

Laura, copy, then paste special, valves

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2000 & 97
"Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has created.
> Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1 creating
> the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?

0
newspab (272)
2/20/2004 10:23:08 PM
Hi Laura!

Select B1 (or all the cells you want to effect. Edit-
>Copy, Edit->Paste Special (select Values) ->OK

Scott

0
anonymous (74722)
2/20/2004 10:26:28 PM
Laura,

Copy the cell and then Edit / Pate special / Values

--
Regards,
Auk  Ales

* Please reply to this newsgroup only *
* I will not react on unsolicited e-mails *

"Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has created.
> Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1 creating
> the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?

Hi
not chance without using VBA. You may put the following code in your
worksheet module
    If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    On Error GoTo CleanUp:
    With Target
        If .Value <> "" Then
            .offset(0,1).value = value+1
        End If
    End With
CleanUp:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

This put the value of A1+1 in cell A2 everytime you change A1. But I'm
not sure why you want to do this. Why do you want to get rid of the
formula?

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
"Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has
created.
> Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1
creating
> the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?

0
frank.kabel (11126)
2/20/2004 10:30:31 PM
Hi Frank,

You are a bit overdoing this.
She isn't able yet to paste values and you want het to paste a macro in a
module ???   <vbg>

--

> Hi
> not chance without using VBA. You may put the following code in your
> worksheet module
>     If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
>     If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
>     On Error GoTo CleanUp:
>     With Target
>         If .Value <> "" Then
>             .offset(0,1).value = value+1
>         End If
>     End With
> CleanUp:
>     Application.EnableEvents = True
> End Sub
>
> This put the value of A1+1 in cell A2 everytime you change A1. But I'm
> not sure why you want to do this. Why do you want to get rid of the
> formula?
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
> "Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has
> created.
> > Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1
> creating
> > the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?

Hi Auk
thought that myself after hitting the 'Send' Button and seeing the
other replies :-)
Always looking for the complex solution and not the simple one  -
typical German habit BTW <vbg>

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

2/20/2004 10:49:22 PM
1) Go to the cell
2) Press F2 (cell edit)
3) Press F9 (calculate)
4) Press "Enter"

--
Regards
Andy Wiggins

"Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has created.
> Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1 creating
> the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?

Didn't see the original post.  Hope this helps.

Highlight the cell
Click on <Edit><Copy>
Click on <Edit><Paste special><Values><OK>

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions
"Andy Wiggins" <contact.me@via.my.address> wrote in message
> 1) Go to the cell
> 2) Press F2 (cell edit)
> 3) Press F9 (calculate)
> 4) Press "Enter"
>
> --
> Regards
> Andy Wiggins
> www.BygSoftware.com
> Home of "Save and BackUp",
> "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA"
>

> "Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has
created.
> > Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1
creating
> > the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?

0
Bill
2/21/2004 11:54:14 AM
What the $%#&...
You live and you learn.
Thanks for a new trick, Andy. Cool.

Best wishes Harald
Followup to newsgroup only please.

> 1) Go to the cell
> 2) Press F2 (cell edit)
> 3) Press F9 (calculate)
> 4) Press "Enter"
>
> --
> Regards
> Andy Wiggins
> www.BygSoftware.com
> Home of "Save and BackUp",
> "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA"
>

> "Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has created.
> > Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1 creating
> > the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?

0
innocent (844)
2/21/2004 6:15:40 PM
And if you select/highlight a portion of the formula, then the F9 will evaluate
just that portion.

Hit ctrl-Z to reverse it or hit escape to get back the original formula.

Harald Staff wrote:

> What the $%#&...
> You live and you learn.
> Thanks for a new trick, Andy. Cool.
>
> Best wishes Harald
> Followup to newsgroup only please.
>
> "Andy Wiggins" <contact.me@via.my.address> wrote in message
> > 1) Go to the cell
> > 2) Press F2 (cell edit)
> > 3) Press F9 (calculate)
> > 4) Press "Enter"
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Andy Wiggins
> > www.BygSoftware.com
> > Home of "Save and BackUp",
> > "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA"
> >

> > "Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has created.
> > > Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1 creating
> > > the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

It's actually a great way to debug a formula "in parts" or for replacing
parts of the formula with values.
It's even better than the evaluating of a formula in XL XP because you can
choose the parts of the formula yourself rather than having to follow the
steps XL XP takes.

I've however never thought of using it in the way Andy did.   So I do agree
with Harald.

It is however restricted in use as you can't do this for a whole range of
cells as you can with Copy / Paste special.

--

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> And if you select/highlight a portion of the formula, then the F9 will
evaluate
> just that portion.
>
> Hit ctrl-Z to reverse it or hit escape to get back the original formula.
>

> Harald Staff wrote:
> >
> > What the $%#&...
> > You live and you learn.
> > Thanks for a new trick, Andy. Cool.
> >
> > Best wishes Harald
> > Followup to newsgroup only please.
> >
> > "Andy Wiggins" <contact.me@via.my.address> wrote in message
> > > 1) Go to the cell
> > > 2) Press F2 (cell edit)
> > > 3) Press F9 (calculate)
> > > 4) Press "Enter"
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > > Andy Wiggins
> > > www.BygSoftware.com
> > > Home of "Save and BackUp",
> > > "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA"
> > >

> > > "Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place but I'm hoping someon
can help.  I have got salary data in Excel which I wish to total s
that I can find out the averages etc.  I've had to clean it up as it'
from an online questionnaire so respondents have entered dat
differently (e.g. 13k, 13,000, �13,000 etc)

Trouble is all the cells have ' in front of the numbers, meaning that
can't sum them.  There are 2 lists of at least 500 numbers... and
don't want to have to manually delete the ' symbol from each and ever
cell.  Can anyone please tell me a quick and easy way of removing thi
and making the cells 'normal' numbers again?

Thank you if you can!

Without macros you can   copy an empty (never used) cell with Ctrl+C
then    select the cells or column(s) you want the change from text
to numbers,  then   Edit,  Paste Special,  Add

If you have to do this often you might look at the TrimALL   macro on
my        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#trimall
or one of the ReEnter macros.
---
HTH,

"fwilson >" <<fwilson.12ltha@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:fwilson.12ltha@excelforum-nospam.com...
> Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place but I'm hoping someone
> can help.  I have got salary data in Excel which I wish to total so
> that I can find out the averages etc.  I've had to clean it up as it's
> from an online questionnaire so respondents have entered data
> differently (e.g. 13k, 13,000, �13,000 etc)
>
> Trouble is all the cells have ' in front of the numbers, meaning that I
> can't sum them.  There are 2 lists of at least 500 numbers... and I
> don't want to have to manually delete the ' symbol from each and every
> cell.  Can anyone please tell me a quick and easy way of removing this
> and making the cells 'normal' numbers again?
>
> Thank you if you can!!
>

> ---

dmcritchie (2586)

Changing RecordSource Causes A Reload of Sub Form Destroying References
Apologies for posting in two newsgroups but after I originally posted it in forms I realized this should have been posted here (formscoding) instead. Access 2007 This only happens on some machines. It has occurred on a PC running Windows XP SP3 and a MAC running Windows. I have been unable to reproduce it on other PCs running Windows XP SP3, Vista or Windows 7. On the machines that have the problem it always occurs. I have a form with a sub form control. The control's SourceObject is changed depending on the function required. On the forms that is used in the control is a...

Sort
We've recently made a very long spreadsheet with about 80 columns. BAD things happen! When people do a lazy sort - that is, ctrl home, Sort and use the populated defaults, Excel only "selects" 64 columns. Of course this totally pooches the data and creates disconnects. No problems when the user selects the whole spreadsheet (by selecting the upper lefthand corner), sorts and fills in the criteria themselves. My question is, is this for real or am I imagining it? Is there a limit of 64 columns in Excel on that lazy sort? We're dealing with the workaround, I j...

Generate Sequential numbers and letters combined
All my relationships in my database are one to many. The table consists of 9 fields, one of them being my "contract number" field and it has a drop down box. The other fields are prices. I have it set up in my form when I click on "contract number" the company name and all the related prices and calculations come up for that specific "contract number". The only thing I can not figure out is how to generate a sequential work order number to relate to EACH different contract number. For Example if I click on "contract numbers" and I choose A000...

FORMULA #2
Hi I am having difficulty in entering a formula i have created a time sheet and am using TExt to check the differnce between cells / times this is fine but when i leave a cell blank it gives me the error code #value! and this messes up my total box can i change the #value! to be seen as 0 any help will be appreciated Hi Brian Try: =IF(ISERROR(YourFormula),0,YourFormula) -- Best Regards Leo Heuser MVP Excel Followup to newsgroup only, please. "BRIAN" <BRYPOPS@YAHOO.COM> skrev i en meddelelse news:019001c349da$03143520$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hi > I am having dif...

How to do evevet that triggers when a textbox value is changes
Hi I would like to know how to make event that trigger when a textbox (Unbound) changes. For example I have a textbox unbound with the value for example 999 and when the value have changed then event needs to be triggered. Thanks While the BeforeUpdate event doesn't work for unbound controls, the AfterUpdate one does. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Chipcom" <bz1977@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1193765222.443627.8450@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com... > Hi > > I would like to know how to make event that t...

how do i create an access code sheet to number my office files an.
im new to this office. the former person made an access code sheet (looks like it was made in excel, but im not sure) the sheet numbers and color codes files that are in the office. i guess the former did not save the sheet, and i need to add new files. So if i need to make a new access code sheet to number and color code all files, which way will be the easiest to do this. (and i've never used excel or word to do this, so please leave how-to instructions) you may want to use word to do this so you can use the label function. you could just as easily do it in excel as well simpl...

New Section break changes prior formatting
When I enter a new section after a break if I center a line all text in that section centers. If I format for "justify" the pictures in the prior sections also go to the left of the page. Which version of Word? frustrated wrote: >When I enter a new section after a break if I center a line all text in that >section centers. If I format for "justify" the pictures in the prior >sections also go to the left of the page. -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/ms-word-general/201001/1 ...

How to track "Keep the Change" from B of A?
Hello, I have a Bank of America checking and savings with the Keep the Change feature, where my debit card charges are rounded up to the next dollar, with the difference being deposited into my savings. What type of category should I place this in? I would just list it as a transfer, but when my accounts update online, it places a charge on the checking and a deposit on the savings account. What is the best way to list this to keep track of the savings properly? Thanks for any help! In microsoft.public.money, Will wrote: > >I have a Bank of America checking and savings with ...

Copy and Paste in Excel, copies cell and formula, but shows same v
Excel 2003 with 2007 converters installed. Not constant problem, but have seen it once before, can't remember how to stop it happening. I have a bank forecast which I have a running total column, against a individual line item list. Noddy stuff. Problem. If I make changes to the forecast I need to recopy down the running total formula to refresh the running total when it doesn't pick up the additions, usual when a cut has been pasted in. Whilst it allows me to dragdown or copy and paste the formula and the new cells take on the correct line/column numbers to do thei...

Excel Formula Copy
Why would a formula copy down the whole column but NOT provide the correct answers within the cells at one computer and at another computer would work? Jennifer schreef: > Why would a formula copy down the whole column but NOT provide the correct > answers within the cells at one computer and at another computer would work? Could you be more specific? What does it say on the other computer? Maybe in Tools > Options> Calculations "manual" is selected. Maybe the Automatic Calculation option is off on the computer it wont work on?? Thats my only guess "Jennifer&quo...

String of numbers
Hi, I have a problem to make a string of numbers. What I'm trying to do is following. Ex. 1 Cell A1 45-0001 Cell B1 5975 The result I want in Cell C1: 450001005975 I'l be wery grateful for some help! -- Best regards Mia You can start with this =replace(A1,"-","") & text(B1,"000000") -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt "Mia" wrote: > Hi, > > I have a problem to make a string of numbers. What I'm trying to do is > following. > > Ex. 1 > Cell A1 > 45-0001 > Cell B1 > 5...

Result of formula not displayed (rather the formula itself is displayed)
Hopefully a rather straightforward question, but I just don't seem to find an easy fix: I have an XLS where some cells will not display the result of a formula, but rather the formula as such. On other words: if the contents of the cells would be: cell A2: 3 cell A5: 7 if I enter =A2+A5 in another cell, I would expect it to display 10. Yet, some cells display =A2+A5 That same formula does work correctly in most other cells. So I guess this has something to do with the formatting of the cells. Yet, the formatting of the cells is "number", and I have no quotes or blanks preceeding...

Automated changes of Outlook contact fields
What software / utilities / code etc. are available that would allow me to adjust some existing data in my Outlook 2003 contacts? For example, I have many "web page address" fields that need to be changed from e.g. http://subway.com to http://www.subway.com and also many "city" fields that need to be capitalized e.g los angeles to Los Angeles. Thanks in advance for any replies, Miner2049er. After some research, I believe I have to write a Visual Basic script to do this. Not knowing that language, does anybody know of a script that can do what I'm asking, or at l...

Please help with Excel formula problem!
I've spent hours and hours trying to figure this out, with no luck. I'd be PROFOUNDLY grateful if anybody can help. You have several cities, say 10, requesting various amounts of funding. You, the fund source, have a total of $1,500,000 in funds to give them. However, the total amount they're all requesting is, say, $1,655,502. You don't have enough; you only have $1,500,000. 1,500,000/1,655,502 = .9061. So, you grant EACH city 90.61% of what it requested, and all the grants total up to $1,500,000. No problem with that one, you can throw up a little spreadsheet in a few se...

how to prevent a formula in a summary sheet from automatically updating when a row is addedto the referenced sheet
I have a workbook set up that consists of several sheets and a summary sheet that refers to the third row on every other sheet. The worksheets that are referenced contain dated information that is sorted with the most recent entries entered in row 3 and these are the entries I need to track in the summary sheet. When I insert a new row 3 in these worksheets, the formula in the summary automatically updates to line 4 and I need it to always reference row 3, the newest entry. This should be simple but I cannot find the solution. Any ideas? Thanks, krisp1950 You could use the INDIRECT fun...

how do I change the default font in publisher 2003
I need to change the default font in Publisher 2003 from New Times Roman. I tire from changing the font every time I create anything new. >-----Original Message----- >I need to change the default font in Publisher 2003 from New Times Roman. I >tire from changing the font every time I create anything new. >. > I know they are four-letter words, but "read" and "help" should become your mainstays. Choose Help and search for "default font" The answer that you are looking for is the first listed and just waiting for you to read it. Chuck Davis &l...

Numbered Discovery Requests
Could you advise of a way to number discovery requests sequentially, for instance, Interrogatory No. 1, Request for Production No. 1, Request for Admission No. 1. They need to be numbered individually as these requests are normally intermingled throughout a document and not grouped together. But each type of request needs to be sequentially numbered according to the type of request it is. Is this explanation confusing? Maybe this will help: Interrogatory No. 1 Request for Production No. 1 Interrogatory No. 2 Interrogatory No. 3 Request for Production No. 2 Request for Admi...

Loan numbering stops
Loan numbering has stopped when I last changed my payment amount due to escrow recacluation. I get this error attempting to manually assign them: "You cannot change this transaction into an electronic payment or trnasfer because the date is not within an acceptable range and cannot be changed" How do I get the numbering restored? ...

How do I stop numbers from converting into dates?
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I want to enter 4/1 or 4-1 into a cell but every time I press enter it converts it to 1-Apr. this is very irritating and despite looking in the the various preferences and format tabs I have yet to find a way to stop it. What am I doing wrong? First of all, any formulas need to be preceded by an equals sign (=) to let Excel know that what follows is an 'instruction' to be executed. Otherwise the content is interpreted as a text string or -- as in this case due to the operators you're using ("/&quo...

matching part numbers dispersed in two columns
Hello - I work with price lists in Excel. I want to match lists whos main columns are part numbers. Problem is that there are part number that do not match in between the two lists. For example, the part numbers column in one list (I'll call it "A")ma have the part numbers 72579, 72580, 72581, 72582, 72583. The par numbers column in the other list (I'll call it "B") may have 72579 72580, 72582, 72583, 72584. I want to match the numbers from list "B" to list "A". If Excel coul just line up the matching numbers on a new column (and leaving blan ...

change language
Hi experts how can I change defult language(EN) a textbox in an userform to another language(ARABIC) and It back to defult in the next textbox by using VBA. Thanks in advance ...

Change Exchange server via scripting
We are going to be migrating our exchange server to another machine as part of an upgrade. Is it possible to change the users' account setup from one server to the next via a login script, or does anyone know another way to do it other than visiting each machine. Thanks, Brad Depending on the details of the migration, you might not need to do = anything at all, or this tool might be handy: = http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3D56F45AC3-448F-= 4CCC-9BD5-B6B52C13B29C&displaylang=3Den --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 ...

Firing Change event from popup form
Hello, This code is on the AfterUpdate event of a list box on a popup form. Private Sub Company_AfterUpdate() Dim frm As Form Set frm = Forms![LoadSheetsMain]![LoadSheetsST].Form frm.Controls(OpenArgs) = Me.ActiveControl End Sub It assignes a value to a textbox on the calling form. I need to fire the change event of that textbox, but don't know the method. Thanks for any help. God Bless, Mark A. Sam The change event of the textbox must be Public. You can then call it from a different control or form: Forms!FormName.PublicSub Mark A. Sam wrote: >Hello, > >Th...

Button caption texts disappears after changing to Theme Windows XP
Hi, I have a simple dialog just for inputting text. This dialog has a input field, and OK Cancel button. In windows classic theme, everything is OK, but if the windows theme is changed to Windows XP, the texts on OK and Cancel buttons just disappear. The dialog's title is still there, BTW. What could be the reason? Thanks. To help your analysis, I give my codes here: #include "WhiteboardTextEntryDialog.h" #include "ComponentsID.h" #include "Data/ResourcesManager.h" BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP(WhiteboardTextEntryDialog, SkinDialog) ON_BN_CLICKED( IDOK, onOKButto...

Office 2004 security/stability update to 11.3.4 Feb 13 changes Word version
The only difference I can find is that the version number for Word has changed from 11.3.3 to 11.3.4. Entourage and Excel remain at 11.3.3. So far, all three components play nice with OS 10.4.8 on a Dual G5 2.0 I ran the updater from the Entourage/Help/Check for Updates pulldown menu. No permissions problems were found after the update. Respectfully, Norm The 11.3.4 update is a security update and it affects three specific components of Microsoft Office 2004: Microsoft Word 2004 is updated, as are the Junk E-Mail Protection and Microsoft Component Plugin files (both of which are in Appl...