Can you sort text in a column, but leave cell color alone?

1st time using excel....

I want to make a wrestling roster to keep the wrestlers weights for
each day.  I would like to have a wrestler's name and weight of each
day in a row.  To make it easier to see, I would like for every other
row to have a grey shade (like stripes).  When I sort, the shade goes
with the text.

Is there anyway to make a shade on each other row and still be able to
sort?
0
gbpars (3)

Hi

yes, select your worksheet and choose
format / conditional formatting
choose
formula is
type
=ROW()=ODD(ROW())
click on the format button, go to the patterns tab, choose a fill colour
click OK twice

Cheers
JulieD

"g wills" <gbpars@cds.org> wrote in message
> 1st time using excel....
>
> I want to make a wrestling roster to keep the wrestlers weights for
> each day.  I would like to have a wrestler's name and weight of each
> day in a row.  To make it easier to see, I would like for every other
> row to have a grey shade (like stripes).  When I sort, the shade goes
> with the text.
>
> Is there anyway to make a shade on each other row and still be able to
> sort?

0
JulieD1 (2295)
12/2/2004 4:15:37 PM
Use a conditional format to do this and it will not move when you sort the
rows:-

Do CTRL+A, then Format / Conditional Formatting / Change 'cell value is' to
'formula is' and put
in =MOD(ROW(),2)=1

Now click on the format button and choose a nice pastel colour from the patterns
tab.  Hit OK till
you are out and you are done.

You could also put in
=MOD(ROW(),2)=0 if you wanted the other rows to be coloured.

You could also put in
=MOD(ROW(),3)=0 if you wanted every 3rd row to be coloured.

You could also put in
=MOD(ROW(),4)=0 if you wanted every 4th row to be coloured.

You could also put in
=MOD(ROW(),5)=0 if you wanted every 5th row to be coloured.

But you probably get the drift by now.  Flipping the 1 and the 0 will determine
whether or not you
start with a coloured or a non-coloured row.

If you want to create alternate green bars made up of say 3 rows (or any other
color), you can
also use:

For every three rows:
=MOD(ROW()-1,6)<3

For every four rows:
=MOD(ROW()-1,8)<4

For other number of shadings, just make the 2nd number (6 or 8 in example) twice
as much as the
3rd number (3 or 4 in example)

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

"g wills" <gbpars@cds.org> wrote in message
> 1st time using excel....
>
> I want to make a wrestling roster to keep the wrestlers weights for
> each day.  I would like to have a wrestler's name and weight of each
> day in a row.  To make it easier to see, I would like for every other
> row to have a grey shade (like stripes).  When I sort, the shade goes
> with the text.
>
> Is there anyway to make a shade on each other row and still be able to
> sort?

---

ken.wright (2489)
12/2/2004 10:52:49 PM
Thank you!
That worked.

g willis

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:15:37 +0800, "JulieD"
<JulieD@hctsReMoVeThIs.net.au> wrote:

>Hi
>
>yes, select your worksheet and choose
>format / conditional formatting
>choose
>formula is
>type
>=ROW()=ODD(ROW())
>click on the format button, go to the patterns tab, choose a fill colour
>click OK twice
>
>Cheers
>JulieD
>
>"g wills" <gbpars@cds.org> wrote in message
>> 1st time using excel....
>>
>> I want to make a wrestling roster to keep the wrestlers weights for
>> each day.  I would like to have a wrestler's name and weight of each
>> day in a row.  To make it easier to see, I would like for every other
>> row to have a grey shade (like stripes).  When I sort, the shade goes
>> with the text.
>>
>> Is there anyway to make a shade on each other row and still be able to
>> sort?

0
gbpars (3)
12/3/2004 4:02:59 AM
you're welcome
and thanks for the feedback
> Thank you!
> That worked.
>
> g willis
>
> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:15:37 +0800, "JulieD"
> <JulieD@hctsReMoVeThIs.net.au> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>yes, select your worksheet and choose
>>format / conditional formatting
>>choose
>>formula is
>>type
>>=ROW()=ODD(ROW())
>>click on the format button, go to the patterns tab, choose a fill colour
>>click OK twice
>>
>>Cheers
>>JulieD
>>
>>"g wills" <gbpars@cds.org> wrote in message
>>> 1st time using excel....
>>>
>>> I want to make a wrestling roster to keep the wrestlers weights for
>>> each day.  I would like to have a wrestler's name and weight of each
>>> day in a row.  To make it easier to see, I would like for every other
>>> row to have a grey shade (like stripes).  When I sort, the shade goes
>>> with the text.
>>>
>>> Is there anyway to make a shade on each other row and still be able to
>>> sort?

0
JulieD1 (2295)