Can't get out of selection? Assistance would be most appreciated...

Perhaps I have done something inadvertently.

I am in an Excel workbook and I appear to be in the middle of selecting
a block of cells.  Everytime I move the cursor, the cell selection area
changes.  I can't Esc out, or use the Enter key.  Mousing over the
menu, the menu does not respond.

Rather silly really, but I desperately need to use this workbook and
nothing seems to function.  Even when the cursor is moving over the
menu items, the cells selected in the workbook area still seems to be
changing.  I can't use the menu - the arrow keys don't work.

Does anyone know how to "get out" of whatever selection process is
operating.  (And can you tell me what I might have done to get into
this so I don't do it again?)

Thanks,

 Stephanie.

0
bajaguide (2)

This is a known (but unacknowledged by MS) bug.  Try clicking the
mouse wheel a few times (if your mouse has a wheel), or if you
have a USB mouse, unplugging and replugging the mouse.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

<bajaguide@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Perhaps I have done something inadvertently.
>
> I am in an Excel workbook and I appear to be in the middle of
> selecting
> a block of cells.  Everytime I move the cursor, the cell
> selection area
> changes.  I can't Esc out, or use the Enter key.  Mousing over
> the
> menu, the menu does not respond.
>
> Rather silly really, but I desperately need to use this
> workbook and
> nothing seems to function.  Even when the cursor is moving over
> the
> menu items, the cells selected in the workbook area still seems
> to be
> changing.  I can't use the menu - the arrow keys don't work.
>
> Does anyone know how to "get out" of whatever selection process
> is
> operating.  (And can you tell me what I might have done to get
> into
> this so I don't do it again?)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephanie.

0
chip1 (1821)
7/12/2005 4:14:49 PM
Try hitting F8 (to toggle out of this mode), then just click on a cell.
(You might have hit F8 accidentally earlier)
--
Rgds
Max
<bajaguide@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Perhaps I have done something inadvertently.
>
> I am in an Excel workbook and I appear to be in the middle of selecting
> a block of cells.  Everytime I move the cursor, the cell selection area
> changes.  I can't Esc out, or use the Enter key.  Mousing over the
> menu, the menu does not respond.
>
> Rather silly really, but I desperately need to use this workbook and
> nothing seems to function.  Even when the cursor is moving over the
> menu items, the cells selected in the workbook area still seems to be
> changing.  I can't use the menu - the arrow keys don't work.
>
> Does anyone know how to "get out" of whatever selection process is
> operating.  (And can you tell me what I might have done to get into
> this so I don't do it again?)
>
> Thanks,
>
>  Stephanie.

0
demechanik (4694)
7/12/2005 4:19:40 PM
Interesting.  I tried both of the suggestions posted in reply to my
message and neither worked.  I was displaying the worksheet on my
laptop using the internal mouse.  I closed the worksheet and reopened
it - still the same problem.  I closed the worksheet again and then
opened it on my desktop, however, and the problem went away...

Thanks to both of you.  Looks like a bug.

Steph.

Max wrote:
> Try hitting F8 (to toggle out of this mode), then just click on a cell.
> (You might have hit F8 accidentally earlier)
> --
> Rgds
> Max
> xl 97
> ---
> GMT+8,  1=B0 22' N  103=B0 45' E
> xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
> ----
> <bajaguide@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Perhaps I have done something inadvertently.
> >
> > I am in an Excel workbook and I appear to be in the middle of selecting
> > a block of cells.  Everytime I move the cursor, the cell selection area
> > changes.  I can't Esc out, or use the Enter key.  Mousing over the
> > menu, the menu does not respond.
> >
> > Rather silly really, but I desperately need to use this workbook and
> > nothing seems to function.  Even when the cursor is moving over the
> > menu items, the cells selected in the workbook area still seems to be
> > changing.  I can't use the menu - the arrow keys don't work.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to "get out" of whatever selection process is
> > operating.  (And can you tell me what I might have done to get into
> > this so I don't do it again?)
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> >  Stephanie.

0
bajaguide (2)
7/13/2005 4:39:54 PM
Glad to hear the issue got resolved, notwithstanding ..
Think there's some possibilities listed at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt
--
Rgds
Max
"Schipper" <bajaguide@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Interesting.  I tried both of the suggestions posted in reply to my
message and neither worked.  I was displaying the worksheet on my
laptop using the internal mouse.  I closed the worksheet and reopened
it - still the same problem.  I closed the worksheet again and then
opened it on my desktop, however, and the problem went away...

Thanks to both of you.  Looks like a bug.

Steph.

0
demechanik (4694)

Help getting SheetName into a cell
I need to refer to the sheet name in a formula and can't figure out how to do it. I can't find a Function which will do this. I did discover ActiveSheet.Name but I have been unsuccessful in getting it work in a function. Specifically I have sheets named "1.a" , "1.b" , "1.c" . . . "99.a" , "99.b" , "99.c" and need to get these names into cell C3 of each sheet. The sheets may not be in order and there may be missing sheets. Thanks in advance for any help. Omar Hi You could put somthing like this in a macro or attatch ...

Get CtrlID from Msg info at WM_LBUTTONUP
Hi all, We can get CtrlID from msg info at WM_LBUTTONUP event? In Msg info, we can get Handle of Ctrl, but i dn't know how to get CtrlID. any one know, please me know, thanks very much. Used function below, it works int GetCtrlID(HWND hWnd) { CWnd* pChild = CWnd::FromHandle( hWnd ); pChild->FromHandle(hWnd); return pChild->GetDlgCtrlID(); } "James Duy Trinh" <vietdoor@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ORP3U3MLIHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > We can get CtrlID from msg info at WM_LBUTTONUP event? In Msg info, we can > get Handle...

Selecting rows from various sheets #4
Cheers Fran -- sha ----------------------------------------------------------------------- shav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1198 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26665 ...

sending to group gets "sending reported error 0x80040610"
Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server - Sending' reported error (0x80040610) : 'Unknown Error 0x80040610' This person sent an email to a distribution group we have set up. It seems that everyone got it but the error came to her like that. Any ideas? Bryce. Does this help? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885917 -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Bryce" <fukuzz@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:46119f2c$0$503$815e3792@news.qwest.net... > Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server - Sending' reported e...

How to get looping VBA code to respond to events on worksheet
Hello, I have some code of the form do while not g_Paused bunch of calls ... loop where I'd like the variable g_Paused to be toggled by a button on the worksheet. The only way I can seem to get the code to respond to the button click is to use do while not g_Paused bunch of calls ... ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Name").Activate DoEvents loop But this is pretty slow and causes the sheet to flicker...is there a better method? PS I'm using buttons from the Control Toolbox Thank you. ...

multiple selection

Can't get automatic updates to work
I get this message: [Error number: 0x8DDD0018] The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running: Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer) Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted) Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed) To make sure these services are running: 1. Click Start, and then click Run. 2. Type servic...

auto fill in customer when contact selected
Hello, I hope Bertil reads this :) or someone with the same knowledge :) In a case when a user selects a contact is it possible to auto fill in the customer related to the contact?? Any help mucho appreciated. You can do this using javascript. onchange function of the field. -- Regards, MS CRM Certified Professional http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com Chat with me on MSN / Gmail / Skype : ID Is :.. mscrmexpert@gmail.com "Ian" wrote: > Hello, > > I hope Bertil reads this :) or someone with the same knowledge :) > > In a case when a user selects a contact...

Newb question: How did my Form_.... Access Class Objects get crea
I have an access database that originally was created in office 2003 access. I am not in 2007 Access. When I go into the IDE, I can see, under Microsoft Office Access Class Objects, a set of what appears to be modules named: - Form_form abc - Form_form xyz etc Each of these corresponds to an actual form I have created, and includes subroutines like Private Sub RefreshAssetTable() ImportExcel End Sub Private Sub Command4_Click() ImportExcelAssets End Sub by default. Now, my question: How did this class "modules" (and I know that is the wrong term) get created? I &...

Selection.AutoFilter Issue
I have the same code for 5 different reports. The only difference in code is the criteria filtered and removed. All reports filter and remove the desired data just fine except for one. The code is below and it is the same each reports with the exception of the worksheets it is deleting and Criteria1 for each sheet. NOTE: The BCP E&M code below filters correctly but not the others...and they are the same code! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dim myLastRow As Long Dim myLastColumn As Long Dim myLastCell As String Dim myRange As String Dim Newbook As String Di...

How do I assign a set of values to a selection from a drop list?
Hi. I am trying to assign a set of values, in separate fields ,to a each selection from a drop-down list in Excel (using data validation). What I am trying to do is very smilar to, say, to selecting a SKU from a list and having the product description, unit price etc. fill into their corresponding fields automatically. For example, I pick SKU "11111" from a drop-down list to fill the SKU field, then, automatically, "5-inch widget" comes up in the product description field and "$5.00" shows up in the unit price field. Please help. Mike Along with the d...

Selecting Charts in a Macro
I have a worksheet which contains 7 charts: 1st Chart = Chart 12 2nd Chart = Chart 7 3rd Chart = Chart 11 4th Chart = Chart 13 5th Chart = Chart 24 6th Chart = Chart 16 7th Chart = Chart 26 I have a macro which copies the worksheet it over to a new worksheet within the same workbook, the charts are then labelled: 1st Chart = Chart 9 2nd Chart = Chart 7 3rd Chart = Chart 13 4th Chart = Chart 10 5th Chart = Chart 2 6th Chart = Chart 12 7th Chart = Chart 15 The macro then tries to select each chart and change the source data, what I don't know is how excel will treat the chart numbers for...

how do I set up spread sheet for demographical data to get graph.
I need to set up a spread sheet to be able to get age, sex,service usage numbers, site utilisation, presenting issue e.g., drug and alcohol, region, percentage of use base on population e.g, 80 staff DoHi, Do you want to show these results graphically, or in the form of some sort of output table? Dave url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10355820.aspx How are you intending to get the data or enter the data into this sheet? How many worksheets or tables will you need? What is the final display options: Examples, Reports, Charts, Pivot = table? And lastly who are the end users, and how do they...

Why i keep on getting same message from mail server?
I'm using Microsoft Outlook, and have been getting message from server. However, i have been keep on getting same message whenever i re-start the p.c... is there any solulation on this matter? Hi Hide, your Outlook version is? Have a look on this sites: "Duplicate e-mail messages are downloaded from a POP3 e-mail server account in Outlook 2003" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885870/en-us "Why does my Outlook keep receiving duplicate messages?" http://www.comentum.com/outlook-issues.html Maybe it helps. -- Oliver Vukovics Share your Outlook PST files without Ex...

Select from a list
I am using Xls 2003 i want to make a list of item - let call it list A then i want to select one of the items in list A and another list (say list B) must give me the details of the item selected in list A. let use an example List A = 1) car 2) boat 3) bicycle when i select 1) car - List B show me 1) 4 doors 2) 4 wheels 3) stearing wheel when i select 2) boat - List B show me 1) sail 2) rudder 3) sailers when i select 3) bicycle - List B show me 1) 2 wheels 2) peddals 3) saddle can i do this in excel? Debra Dalgleish explains these dependent lists: http://contextures.com/xl...

get data form cells sequentially
Hi there, I have a spreadsheet i am creating which is giving me some amount o hassle!!! I'm sure it is possible to do this but i just cant figure ou how:- I have one worksheet which has many copies of the same table, eac table is consistantly ontop of the other i.e. first table uses cells A - G10 (a rectangle of cells). The dates i am trying to use are in a pattern of a nine row seperatio i.e. first date is in cell G2, next one is G11, next one G20, and s on. I need to find out how i can make a formula which i could copy whic would grab the date out of these cells in sequence for pl...

How do I get email in Outlook Express on an XP machine into Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 Machine?
The instructions for importing Outlook Express files from another machine assume that Outlook Express can be run on the target machine. I don't believe there is a way to do that on a Windows 2007 machine. So How do I accomplish this? On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:03:05 -0800, MikeH <mikeh@somewhere.net> wrote: > The instructions for importing Outlook Express files from another > machine assume that Outlook Express can be run on the target machine. I > don't believe there is a way to do that on a Windows 2007 machine. So > How do I accomplish this? F...

How do I get non-sequential dates on X-axis
I am trying to make a chart that tracks progress each week from Monday to Friday. i.e. June 5 to June 9, then June 12 - June 16. This goes on the X-axis. Each time I try and chart the series without the dates it works OK. As soon as I add the date, Excel automatically fills in the weekend days. I have looked at every option that I can think of and prefs but can't get it to just show the dates that I actually want to chart. Can someone tell me how I can force Excel not to show dates for which there is no data and there is no labels etc? Thanks in advance Using Excel 2004 for Mac...

SBS 2008 Reboot
I have a client who needed to reboot their server this AM (we couldn't log onto RWW, when this happens, they reboot. It happens once every couple of months.) Upon rebooting, they called and are telling me they are getting a windows titled "Windows Complete PC Restore". Why would this come up on a normal reboot? Did they have a failure of some sort? Can we get by this screen to get the server back online? I thought I would try here first, as I cannot get to the site until later this afternoon. Thank you in advance. -- Ron Anthony Quinn Is the SBS2008 DVD ...

Receiving Error when selecting Organization Settings
After installing CRM 3.0, we attempted to access System Settings under Organization Settings and received the following error: An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system adminstrator. I have discussed with our system admin and they have not been able to determine the cause of the problem. -- David Connect Set the DevErrors "On" in Web.Config File. Now, check what is the exact error it displays. -- Regards Ram "David Connect" wrote: > After installing CRM 3.0, we attempted to access System Settings under > Organization...

Open/Convert Dialog Box Disappears after selecting open once
This has been bugging me, and I haven't found any documentation on this anywhere. When faced with the Open or Convert Dialog when opening an Access 97 file in Access 2002 (Office XP) and you choose "OPEN", you do not get the dialog back a second time. Where does this setting get set in the file? Is it written to one of the system tables or somewhere else like your pagesys file? The reason I ask, one of my clients sent a file with an Access 97 database inside a ZIP file. They do not have a later version of access. And usually we receive the dialog. But this time we didn'...

Getting error message often
I'm getting this error message often: "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and it needs to close". How do I fix this problem? -- Thanks, Sriram Wow, that's a bad one. What exactly are you doing in Dynamics GP to cause this error to occur?? -- Micheal LoPatriello Coordinator, Luna Development mlopat@lunadevelopment.com http://www.lunadevelopment.com "Sriram" wrote: > I'm getting this error message often: "Internet Explorer has encountered a > problem and it needs to close". How do I fix this problem? > -- > Thanks, > Sri...

Get a specifc button Handle inside ribbon
Hi, Im trying to make a program that clicks on a specific button inside a specif ribbon. I think i got use sendMessage to complete this task but first i need to find the handle of the button. So far i can get the handle oh the excel and then i used EnumChild Windows to find childs handles. But looking at the child texts i cant get anything thats looks with a the ribbon or the button. Can some one helpme? Should i look inside an specif child to find the ribbon and then inside the ribbon to find the button? if yes which one? Thnaks Sink I don't think the ribbon exposes ...

Active Out of Office Assistant
Is there any way to query the Exchange 2003 about who has "out of office" activated on their mailbox? Here is a script that can pull all server side rules. http://gsexdev.blogspot.com/2004_06_01_gsexdev_archive.html James Chong MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+ msexchangetips.blogspot.com Ron e. wrote: > Is there any way to query the Exchange 2003 about who has "out of office" > activated on their mailbox? On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:33:06 -0700, Ron e. <Rone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there any way to query the Exchange 2003 about who has "ou...