Can Function results be calculated?

Hi all
I have a sheet with two columns of figures. I show the running totals of
each column in cells with basic SUM Functions, at the top of the sheet. I now
want to subtract one total from the other. How is this done? As the Function
is looking at cells that themselves hold Functions, I can't see how to do
this, short of making a longer Function that adds the column contents again
and then subtracts.

So, in summary:
I have two cells with Functions. These are:
Cell F4 =SUM(F8:F45)
and
Cell G4 =SUM(G8:G45)

I want to do this:
=F4-G4
but it won't play.

Any advice most appreciated.
Kind regards
Frank

Hi Franks,

> I have two cells with Functions. These are:
> Cell F4 =SUM(F8:F45)
> and
> Cell G4 =SUM(G8:G45)
>
> I want to do this:
> =F4-G4
> but it won't play.

That works for me - what happens when you try it?

---
Regards,
Norman

0
normanjones (1047)
2/21/2006 1:04:38 PM
Errr... It works!

My apologies! The fog of ineptitude has now lifted, to reveal that I'd put
in the wrong row numbers in the Function and then proceeded to wrack my
brain(?) for solutions to the actually non-existent problem.

I guess it just needed me to make a pleb of myself before the error could
come to light.

Thanks for your response, which just made me open my eyes and look at what I
was doing. I shall now beat myself with a large stick and take my sweets away.

Cheers
Frank

"Norman Jones" wrote:

> Hi Franks,
>
> > I have two cells with Functions. These are:
> > Cell F4 =SUM(F8:F45)
> > and
> > Cell G4 =SUM(G8:G45)
> >
> > I want to do this:
> > =F4-G4
> > but it won't play.
>
> That works for me - what happens when you try it?
>

> ---
> Regards,
> Norman

Can I lock the OE6 UI?
Is it possible to lock the Outlook Express UI? I am supporting a novice/elderly user who is using OE6 on WinXP SP3. This user has a habit of accidentally closing toolbars or the folder view from time to time causing considerable confusion and a support call. To prevent this problem, I would like to lock-down OE6 somehow so that once the UI (toolbars, views, menu, etc.) is arranged nicely, it cannot be changed without administrator permission. Or failing that, can I create a default UI view for OE6 that can be easily restored (i.e. "click here") when things start looking ...

Restricting the reactivationg cases function
In many customer service environments, the reactivation of existing cases is an exceptional procedure, to be performed only by a supervisor. I can't seem to find the right way of assigning a security role to accomplish this. Any ideas? -- Juan Fidalgo Sr. Bus. Analyst SCI If the role has update case, read activity and write activity then you should be able to Reactivate the case. Please also refer to Appendix A: Security Roles and Privileges http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb954998.aspx This doc has detial privileges that are required in each of SDK message. -- This p...

Excel Functions #2
hi guys, just wondered if anyone knew which function i would use to do this, because im fairly novice with excel: Basically if the cell value is above 110 i want the cell to turn green if the cell value is between 110 and 105 i want it to turn yellow if the cell value is below 105 i want it to turn red any help would be seriously appreciated. thanks spotseven wrote: > hi guys, just wondered if anyone knew which function i would use to > do this, because im fairly novice with excel: > > Basically if the cell value is above 110 i want the cell to turn gr...

TRIM FUNCTION in QUERY
Hello, What do I put to trim off the spaces after a value in query? The table is obtained from ODBC link and the values on a field somehow got spaces. Example: My field in the query is: WC: PO_WORKCENTER_ID Not sure WC: TRIM(PO_WORKCENTER_ID) ???? That should work. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder. "Cam" wrote: > Hello, > > What do I put to trim off the spaces after a value in query? The table is > obtained from ODBC link and the values on a field somehow got spaces. Example: > > My...

Can I make a database in Word with Excel Data
I know this may be a "DUH" question, but... I am making a list of area dentists that I have copied and pasted of of the Dex website into Excel. I am wondering if I can take this inf and make a database in Word for printing address labels. Does anyon know if this can be done, and HOW?:confused -- Myn77 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myn777's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2958 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49283 For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the...

How to see calculation and heading in same cell.
I would like the cell to perform a calculation and then display the answer as will as a heading. In other words the answer and the heading will appear in the same cell. Perhaps you mean something like ="Heading Name: "&A1+B1 ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Jeracho" <Jeracho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F34BACB9-E2DA-448A-924D-46A475F98F91@microsoft.com... > I would like the cell to perform a calculation and then display the answer as > will as a heading. In other words the answer and the heading will appear in...

can't delete mailbox #2
I deleted a user account in AD but when I go to Exchange system manager I can't delete the mailbox. What is the deal? Wait until AD replicates then you'll be able to purge the mailboxes with the red Xs "Brandon Baker" <brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23fkHzmOMGHA.1180@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I deleted a user account in AD but when I go to Exchange system manager I >can't delete the mailbox. What is the deal? > Right click on Mailboxes in ESM and select Run Cleanup Agent. -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange M...

can't get scrollbar to come up -- CScrollView
I am new to MFC and I am trying to get a simple app working with a scrollable view. I have put in the call to SetScrollSizes in the OnInitialUpdate method. I'm still not quite sure what sizeTotal is supposed to do. I just gave it a value of 5 for the y for now, which I think I want to set to the number of lines of text I have to display. And then I set y to 50. int numLines = 5; CSize sizeTotal; sizeTotal.cy = numLines; sizeTotal.cx = 50; SetScrollSizes( MM_TEXT, sizeTotal); In the OnDraw method, I put in code to draw my text on the view using the device context. The text get...

Can't receive e-mails on windows mail
I have been trying to access e-mails and getting this message.? Any Help would be great. Thanks. I have re-done all the settings as per their website severall times but with no luck. Running Vista. Account: 'pop3.virginmedia.com', Server: 'pop3.virginmedia.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR not supported 3pf7420781ewy.51', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18 Follow the instructions in "How to use POP in Virgin Media Mail" at: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?...

Newbie: can't get a calculated value on the form?
I have a table with numbers and a form that shows the numbers. I have a query that takes one of the numbers and mulitplies it. I put a text box on the form from the query result field, but I get a "#Name" error instead of the result. When I run the query, I get the correct result. Help, please? Ed "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d1e7d27c-11d9-4696-8d19-4c5fdd9dbb89@d70g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... >I have a table with numbers and a form that shows the numbers. I have > a query that takes one of the numbers and mulitplies it. I p...

How can I add numbers but ignore the minus signs?
How can I add numbers but ignore the minus signs? In the following, the answer I'm after is 17 A1 -10 A2 5 A3 -2 =SUMPRODUCT(ABS(A1:A3)) Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 04:19:52 GMT, Invalid <invalid@invalid.comINVALID> wrote: >How can I add numbers but ignore the minus signs? In the following, the >answer I'm after is 17 > >A1 -10 >A2 5 >A3 -2 > > Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in news:1o2f63pa84r8o6tdf65sa9ptpbv0nlt7u6@4ax.com: Thank you Gord. ----- > =SUMPRODUCT(ABS(A1:A3)) > > > Gord Dibben M...

How can I forward an email as attachment in 2003
Hi Could anybody please tell me how to send emails as attachments in Outlook 2003? Thank you, Paul -- Paulobrien29 Make a new email and then use Insert Item to insert the email you want to send. Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook www.judygleeson.com www.deskdoctors.com Are you sick of bad email practice? Get a copy of my paper "Implementing Email Policy" from the Desk Doctors website. "Paulobrien29" <Paulobrien29.4b477ff@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message news:Paulobrien29.4b477ff@outlookbanter.com... > > Hi > > Could anybody please tell m...

How can I Enable a Check Box based on another fields value?
Hi There, I have a form with a disabled check box. I need to enable it when a certain value ("approved") is selected from a combo box. When I am in Form Design View and I have the Check Box selected the Conditional Formatting menu item on the Format menu is greyed out. I am using Access 2003. Can you tell me what I need to do to make this work? Many thanks, David As you've discovered, Conditional Formatting isn't availabe to checkboxes. Try this: Private Sub Form_Current() If Me.YourComboBox = "Approved" Then YourCheckBox.Enabled = True Else YourChe...

Looking for someone who can integrate CRM with GP using SCRIBE Integration tool
Hi, Is anyone out there in Sydney area who would like to help us in doing integration between CRM 4 and GP 10 through SCRIBE integration tool for a fee? We are looking for someone who has already done integration between these two applications using SCRIBE. You will have to do bit of customisations in the SCRIBE standard templates. If anyone available, you can contact me through my email badri1203@gmail.com Badri ...

automatic calculate at specific month
Hi, Can anyone help me to make a formula which can automatically calculate a retire fund: a staff join company on April 20, 2010, salary $15,000, I need to calculate his retire fund on the third month, which is June 30. So on June 30, the total retire fund on June 30 that company needs to pay should be: 275+750+750 April: 15,000/30*11days*5%=275 May: 15000*5%=750 Jun: 15000*5%=750 but July 31 onward, it will back to normal salary * 5% assume that the salary paid in April - July is in cell A1, B1,C1, D1, and retire fund for each month is in cell A2, B2, C2, D2. thanks a lo...

Calculate the first day of the month for the current month?
I need to calculate the first day of the month for the current month. ie. 12/06/04 = 12/01/04 or 5/05/05 = 5/01/05 Hi, Use =TEXT(DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1),1),"mm/dd/yy") Change cell A1 accordingly. Govind. April S. wrote: > I need to calculate the first day of the month for the current month. > ie. 12/06/04 = 12/01/04 or 5/05/05 = 5/01/05 I think I'd drop the =Text() portion: =date(year(a1),month(a1),1) And format the way I want. Then it's still a date. Govind wrote: > > Hi, > > Use > > =TEXT(DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1),1),"mm/dd/yy"...

How can I do an hourly salary calculation in Excel
How can i do a simple hours (and minutes) x hourly rate calculation and have it display the correct amount in local currency If you are using excel time formats, assume a time value is in A2 and you want to multiply with an hourly rate =A2*24*rate format as currency -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "AndyM" <AndyM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EE0E905-3139-4B70-8119-03A0B2FD4575@microsoft.com... > How can i do a simple hours (and minutes) x hourly rate calculation and > have > it display the correct amount in local cur...

Help With Problem: Nested IF Function, Office2K v Office2003
Hello Group, I'm looking for some help with a nested IF worksheet function. Shown below is a formula that I'm using in a model. =SUM(IF(worksheet!$A$3:$A$54=DATEVALUE("9/1/2005"),IF(worksheet!$B$3:$B$54="<90",worksheet!$C$3:$C$54,0),0)) If short, what I'm trying to do is scan the data in two columns and for any cells which meet the TRUE case in both columns, then sum the third numbers for all cases returning TRUE-TRUE. If either cell returns a FALSE, then enter 0. I created the original formulas and model in Office2000 and have used the model for more tha...

Are there functions/Or Events that are called automatically when the database file first opens and When it closes?
All, I'm assuming its "Public Function init_something()" but I can't seem to find a reference to the correct syntax. I'm using Access 2007. Basically what I'm trying to do is initialize a list of global variables and I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Option Compare Database Public VariableName As String 'Call Init - Will throw an error 'VariableName = "Hello World" - Will throw an error Option Explicit Public Function Init() VariableName = "Hello World" End Function Private Sub btName_Click() ...

Can't access below toolbar.
I've used Windows Live mail successfully for several months but now I cannot access anything below the File, Edit, View etc bar. My mouse doesn't get a response from any button below that line. Help! This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0037_01CB179F.F06F5C60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, Trevecchi. That=E2=80=99s a weird one that I haven=E2=80=99t heard before. But = that bar that starts with File | Edit | View... is the Menu Bar, not the = Toolbar. I hate to be...

How can I insert a cell reference in a footer (eg for variable foo
Any ideas on how to do this? I'm trying to create a template with the doc reference number in the footer However, I'm trying to avoid users having to edit the footer (because this just wont get done). Hi only possible with VBA using an event procedure. e.g. put the following code in your workbook module for cell A1 Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Dim wkSht As Worksheet For Each wkSht In Me.Worksheets With wkSht.PageSetup .CenterFooter = wksht.range("A1").value End With Next wkSht End Sub -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Ger...

Can't get past welcome screen
I recently used a startup manager utility to reduce the amount of programmes that launched automatically on startup. I am now unable to get XP to start past the welcome screen. If I click on a user it loads settings and then logs off immediately. I can't get into safe mode as it does the same thing. I've tried copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe as suggested in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893 but this does not help. Any other ideas? On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 12:00:01 -0800, Sam Wardill <SamWardill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recently used a startup mana...

How do I calculate the percentage of email i receive over time
I would like to find a formula that calculates the amount of emails i receive, daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly -- pearl Assuming the total number of emails in A1 and the beginning date for the period in B1: =A1/(YEAR(NOW())-YEAR(B1)+1) gives average per year =A1/INT(NOW() - B1) gives average per day =A1/INT(NOW() - B1)*7 gives average per week =A1/(((YEAR(NOW())-YEAR(B1))*12)+MONTH(NOW())) will give you average per month "Pearl" wrote: > I would like to find a formula that calculates the amount of emails i > receive, daily, weekly, monthly, and ye...

Loan Calculator
Hey guys, I hope you all can help me. I bought Microsoft Money 2003 Premium Edition. Can it do Loan Calculation? I wanted to make sure before I open the box. Thank you for your respond(s). Jerry Dizon ...

How can you get Column graphs to be next to each other instead of spaced apart?
Thanks You are welcome. :-) -- David Biddulph <simonlavender@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1926b4aa-693f-41fa-a986-1aca28eb78b7@j1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com... > Thanks Hi Simon, If you just want the columns closer together, select the series, > Format data series > options, and reduce the the Gap Width. Dave "simonlavender@gmail.com" wrote: > Thanks > ...