Beginner Question Re Excel Format

Hello,

Using Excel 2007 and XP.
New at this.

Have Copied to the PC's Clipboard a page of data from a financial program.

How do I setup Excel, before doing a Paste of this data, such that Excel
"knows" that I want the data to appear in csv format in Excel ?

Or, do I (or must I) just Paste it as an Excel Workbook format, and then do
a Save-As in the csv format ?

Thanks,
Bob

0
rgsros1 (38)

Have your tried a simple copy & paste? What happens?
Do you know about the Data | Text to Columns feature?
Can you get the other program to send data to a text file?

Sorry to answer a question with questions but we need to zone in on a
solution for you.
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Robert11" <rgsros@xnotme.invalid> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Using Excel 2007 and XP.
> New at this.
>
> Have Copied to the PC's Clipboard a page of data from a financial program.
>
> How do I setup Excel, before doing a Paste of this data, such that Excel
> "knows" that I want the data to appear in csv format in Excel ?
>
> Or, do I (or must I) just Paste it as an Excel Workbook format, and then
> do a Save-As in the csv format ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

0
bliengme (657)
3/3/2009 5:40:38 PM
Hello Bernard,

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Yes, i am familiar with the text to columns, and might be able to do what I
want using it, but don't think so.

When I do the Copy and Paste, it seems that what was one neat  line in the
financial program's page
now is split between two lines (rows) in Excel.

Also, some of the items don't seem to show up at all on the Paste, and
others seem corrupted.

Will try later sending the data as a Text file to Excel, as you suggest.

Thanks,
Bob
"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.ca> wrote in message
> Have your tried a simple copy & paste? What happens?
> Do you know about the Data | Text to Columns feature?
> Can you get the other program to send data to a text file?
>
> Sorry to answer a question with questions but we need to zone in on a
> solution for you.
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "Robert11" <rgsros@xnotme.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Using Excel 2007 and XP.
>> New at this.
>>
>> Have Copied to the PC's Clipboard a page of data from a financial
>> program.
>>
>> How do I setup Excel, before doing a Paste of this data, such that Excel
>> "knows" that I want the data to appear in csv format in Excel ?
>>
>> Or, do I (or must I) just Paste it as an Excel Workbook format, and then
>> do a Save-As in the csv format ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

0
rgsros1 (38)

Excel hangs when manipulating large spreadsheets
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am running an updated version of Excel 2008 (version 12.2.3) on an Intel Core 2 Duo iMac (4GB memory, 320 GB hard drive w/165 GB available). When I am working with a moderate sized workbook (17 MB, 21,000 rows x 26 columns) of data Excel will hang when I attempt to copy and paste sections of the spreadsheet or attempt to copy a function across all the rows of the spreadsheet. The files were originally xlsx files. I saved them to xlsb files but am still having the same problem. Activity monitor shows that E...

Excel bug: conditional formatting
When using conditional formatting with more than more formula, the formatting ceases to go through all conditions once one condition becomes true. This isn't the same behavior as when cell values are used. This to me is a bug, but if this is intended, it should at least be an option to continue through all conditions. The behaviour is the same when cell values are used. For example: Condition 1: Cell Value Is greater than 10 Format: Bold Condition 2: Cell Value Is greater than 20 Format: Red Condition 3: Cell Value Is greater than 30 Format: Italic A cell that contains a...

Excel Web Queries
I know how to setup Excel 2002 web queries from sites that are publicl available. The question is: *can you setup web queries linked to a we site that is private (i.e. you need a password to access it) such a your private portfolio in Morningstar or similar sites? -- rpensott ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rpensotti's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1464 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26267 ...

Excel VB
I have produced a table, Data, which automatically generates a char using Macro's and VB. However, I am trying to add more rows to increas the size of the chart but unfortunatly, I cannot get the chart range to increase automatically. Something that I would like to do. I have attached the file to hopefully help. By clicking onto the Macro Update, I would like to update the chart even if and when new rows ar added to the table in Data. I think that the problem lies in Name Ranges and I have added '*' t where in the macro I think that the problem is. Is there anyone who can hel...

Finding duplicate records in Excel
I know how to find duplicate records in Access but, for a broad-range project that I shall be working on Excel, is the way I want to go. I shall be mergind data from various sources and I will want to find and eliminate duplicate entries. I did not find any answers under Google groups. Can someone point me to reference material(s) regarding this topic? KG http://www.contextures.on.ca/xladvfilter01.html#FilterUR http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm And from Google search...... http://snipurl.com/bjjc Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:15:01 -0800, "KG" <...

Excel template has no pagesetup when opening from VB
Could anybody help me how to get back the pagesetup of a template? I have a VB application to create a workbook from a template. When I launch the from VB, it works fine to get back the pagesetup from the template with: oWorkBook=oExcelApp.WorkBooks.Open (Filename:="myWorkbook.xlt", Edittable:=False) oWorkBook.Sheets(1).PageSetup.LeftHeader containes the defined header from the template But when I launch the compiled EXE oWorkBook.Sheets(1).PageSetup.LeftHeader containes an empty string. Any idea? Thanks for any help! ...

Display form from an VB application in Excel
Dear All, I have the following problem with a macro. I hope somebody may help me. Problem: I want to display a VBA form created in an VB application on top of an Excel worksheet to enter some information. But when I show the form after opening the Excel workbook, the macro automatically switches back to the application showing this form (and not on top of the Excel workbook). Code: .... 'Open Excel workbook Set xlS = clsApp.GetApplication("excel.Application") Set xlsWB = xlS.Workbooks.Open(filename) xlS.Visible = True 'Show form on top of that Excel workbook frm.Show vbMod...

"Excel needs to close"
Frequently, when turning my computer on, I will get the error message, "Microsoft Excel for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close". It has not been left on nor was it used in the previous session of computer use. I am using XP Home. How can I fix it or should I even be concerned? Check to see what is starting up when you boot your computer up. See if anything is in teh startup folder, check using msconfig as well "Ed Mullikin" <edmull2@cox.net> wrote in message news:3om_h.111445$s8.90157@newsfe21.lga... > Frequently, when turning my comp...

Sorting by diff. formats
Hello, Is there any way that I can sort 3 columns which using differen numbering format, e.g. Column A by Absolute Value (containing letters numbers and decimal), then Column B by Default, then Column C b Absolute Value again? So that I can sort the LC call number in my library... A|B|C BX1150|.D567|v.10 BX950|.D56|v.9 The correct order I need is: BX950 < BX1150, .D56 < .D567, v.9 < v.10 Thanks, Jac -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If your values were entered like: BX0950 Then it would be a lot easier. If you can't change the values in the cells, maybe you...

Conditional Formatting #65
I have a date cell that I need to apply conditional formatting to when the date is now one year later. Example: A4 contains the date 1/1/2007 and today's date is in cell F2 with the formula [TODAY()]. If cell A4 is one year in the past I'd like the font to change so I'll know that date is older than one year from today's date. Thanks for any help! Trish On Apr 10, 9:43=A0am, Trish <trish....@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a date cell that I need to apply conditional formatting to when > the date is now one year later. > > Example: A4 contains the date 1/1/2007 ...

Letter Wizard formatting
I have installed the office suite on my I-Book that is running OS 10.2.6. I have installed all the updates. My problem is when I run the letter wizard or make a new project in the project gallery the information gets formatted to the top of the new document. I have deleted and reinstalled the office suite, deleted the normal doc. If anyone can help if would be much appreciated. Hi Patrick, My first suggestion is pretty easy to do. Use Disk Utility First Aid to repair permissions Then try again. -Jim Gordon Mac MVP All responses should be made to this newsgroup within the same thread. Than...

Apply formatting through code
Hi and TIA. I have a worksheet like so. I'm trying to conditionally format the cells in Column C. If this is possible where do a place a call to the procedure? I want the procedure to run for each individual row except I can't simply copy the formula down the sheet because I have headers and totals rows. I'm new to excel. I'm an Access geek. Any advice or if you can point me in the right direction is appreciated. Thanks for your time! Header: USS Vinson A B C 1 3 3 1 2 2 3 4 3 1 2 2 Tot 6 8 7 ...

merging and formating data
I have data in 2 columns that i need to merge. IE: A B 234 245 needs to be: 234245 Now i know i can concantenate the data but then i'm stuck. The data can be of any number of rows, so i need to select only the cells with data in them. I then have to take the data and transpose it. IE: A 234 456 689 needs to be: A B C 234 456 689. This way i can save it as comma delimited and import it into another source. Basically i need my ending data to be 123,345,677,8984. Any ideas on how to get this all done? I would like to make it a macro so i dont have to manually do i...

Excel - Array Formulas - Freeze
Hi all I have a big problem. It takes about 30 minutes to save my excel fil because I have many array formula: about 32 000! So do you have a ti to accelerate the computing process? Is a VBA function would do i faster? Here is an example of what I use: Col A contain unique numbers Sheet 1: Col A Col B Col C Row1 001 123 9i9 Row2 005 456 8u8 Row3 003 406 8ur etc... to +8000 In sheet 2, I have to check if the data exist in sheet 1. Col D contai Yes (data is in the sheet1) or No... Examples: Col D check if the data in Col B is the same in sheet 1 Col...

html source code into Excel
Can anyone tell me how to (in VBA) get the source code for a web page into a string so that I can parse it? Note: I can't use a Query Table for this part as the data I need is imbedded into an href. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Paul ...

How to replicate Excels' numeric "Accounting" format in Access Rep
How to replicate Excels' numeric "Accounting" format in Access Report client want's Access report to output values in format identical to Excel's numeric "Accounting" format if I try to difine it as such it converts the 'Format' definition to >> \acc"ou"n"ti"n\g and strangely dosen't give the desired result I'm using Office 2003 on Windows 2000 -- Jim Have you tried Currency with 2 decimal places? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP If I have helped you, please help me by donating to UCP http://www.access.hookom...

Conditional Formatting
I want to color a cell based on the value of that cell being greater than zero and another cell not being equal to "x". I've used conditional formatting with "formula is" and formula - IF(A1>0,B1<>"X") This does not seem to work - what am I doing wrong?????? Use AND for multiple criteria to be satisfied, like this .. Assume you want to apply CF to col A Select col A, apply CF using Formula is: =AND(A1>0,B1<>"X") Format as desired>OK out Success? hit the YES below -- Max Singapore xde --- "Pat999"...

Adding Formatting Instruction to a Formula
Excel 2000 This question is being asked more out of curiosity than out of any real need. I have the following formula in a cell. The text is oriented vertically and the column widths are such that I need to put it all in one cell in order to keep the information together on the page. =CONCATENATE(A16 & ": " & TEXT(B16,"mmmm") & CHAR(10) & A17 & ": " & TEXT(B17,"mmmm,yyyy") & CHAR(10) & A18 & ": " & TEXT(B18,"mmmm d, yyyy") & CHAR(10) & A19 & ": " & TEXT(B19,"mm...

how to save file with preview in excel
How do you save a file with preview in excel On the File menu, choose Properties, then the Summary tab. There, check the "Save preview picture" checkbox. "Rebee" <Rebee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:261A3C8B-D77D-4879-9FDE-6BE996033261@microsoft.com... > How do you save a file with preview in excel ...

GP10 Smartlist problem output to Excel 2010
When we see the listing in the Smartlist, we click the button with Excel logo, to export the listing to Excel, but GP prompt with error message :Unable to start Microsoft Excel http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4100/errorw.png This is the newly purchased workstation. This is the first computer that is come with Microsoft Office 2010 version, the rest are still using Office 2007. And this new computer has never been successfully launched Excel from the Smartlist. We are wondering if the Office 2010 STARTER edition can work work with Dynamics GP 10 with FP1 SP4. Please advice ...

Currency Format in Access 2007
Hello everyone,I am Access programmer. Now I had a problem that I can't find a wayfor a long time.In the Open event of a form, I give the format of a text box relatedwith records a value. It is similar with the statement below.Me.txtChargeExtended.Format = "$#,##0.00;($#,##0.00)"It works well in Access 2003, but in Access 2007, when I close theform without changing any thing, Access prompts that "Save changes tothe following objects". I wanted to let this tip disappear. And Icomment out this statement above. It can work well. But I did lose thecurrency format setting.So...

convert number format to time format
I have a whole column in which I need to be able to enter a number an it should convert it to the time format. If I enter 100 it shoul convert it to 1:00. Similarly entering 2300 should automatically b converted to 23:00. Thank yo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Fullymooned! No need to send the same question to different groups. The answer given in programming was: See: Chip Pearson: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax...

To unlock the access of my Excel sheet
Hello, I have forgotten the password who locks the access to my Excel sheet. Could somebody explain to me the way to unlock this Excel sheet? Thank you in advance, JeanMickey You can download the free Utiliities program from www.appspro.com/Utilities/Utilities.htm This includes a password breaker by the wizard Bob Bovey. HTH remember, if this helps click Yes Peter "JeanMickey" wrote: > Hello, > > I have forgotten the password who locks the access to my Excel sheet. > Could somebody explain to me the way to unlock this Excel sh...

Stamp, Watermark In Excel??
I have a purchase order document that I created in Excel. I would like to have some kind of electronic "stamp" or "watermark" that I can import or put on the document to show "PAID" or something to that effect. Does anyone have suggestions or know of a way that I can do this. I know that in Microsoft Word it allows you to put a watermark in the background. This is essentially what I am trying to do but I am working with Excel. Thanks for any help. Hi Monica, See xlDynamic FAQ page on watermarks at: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0005.htm...

number formats that allow you to format the appearance of negativ.
I don't understand what it means to List two number formats that allow you to format the appearance of negative numbers using parentheses? Jasmon There are up to four parts to a format in Excel, separated by ;, so FormatForPositive;FormatForNegative;FormatForZero;FormatForText So if you want two decimals and parenthesis for negatives, you could use 0.00;(0.00);0.00 Notice you don't need one for text so I have not included it. If you miss a format type then you should still include it's separator 0.00;;0.00 Has only set a format for positive numbers and zeroes. You could...