Analysing data from several excel workbooks

Hi,
I'm totally new to excel and i need to analyse the changes in a funding
position across several years in a seperate excel sheet.

As in, submissions are made year on year showing the amount of revenue spent
on several different services. I need to be able to compare how those have
moved over the last 5 years in a single spreadsheet.

I appreciate any help.
Thanks

To give a clear answer we would need a bit more detail of the data layout
Give us a simplified version of what the data looks like
Your 'subject' talks about different workBOOKS but the text of the message
says different workSHEETS. What is the actual case?
Do all worksheets have the same layout?
What version of Excel?

best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Wareen Black" <Wareen Black@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm totally new to excel and i need to analyse the changes in a funding
> position across several years in a seperate excel sheet.
>
> As in, submissions are made year on year showing the amount of revenue
> spent
> on several different services. I need to be able to compare how those have
> moved over the last 5 years in a single spreadsheet.
>
> I appreciate any help.
> Thanks

0
Bernard

Sum data under special condition
Hi, I have a main and detail subform. In the subform I had a Check field (Yes/No field) from the under laying table. I am having a problem of putting a sum(amount) on the main form for only item that has a check in the Yes/No filed. Could someone advice? I have Access 2003 on XP box. SF A Yes/No field has a numeric value of zero when it is "No", and -1 when it is "Yes". So, to achieve what you want, simply multiply the amount by the Yes/No field, and by -1 e.g. Sum(amount * yesnofield * -1) "SF" <xyz@online.com.kh> wrote in message news:u9...

sorting data, formula contance
When I sort a group of cells by highest number to lowest one column changes the formula to match where the cell moves to. So if cell J9 moves to cell J8 in the sorting, the formula in the j column adjusts accordingly to match the new position by one. I want the formula to remain constant. How do i do that? Basically, if the formula in J9 is =E9/G30 and J9 moves to J8 I want it to stay =E8/G30, but right now it keeps changing to =E8/G29. Catch my drift? Hi Jeff, It's a good thing you included formula, because the words don't match what you supply as formulas. But that ...

Copy Paste Chart format in Excel 2003 using VB.NET
I have a template file in Excel which contains some sample charts. I need to generate some charts which has the same format as that of sample charts. I'm using VB.NET 2005. What we encourage people to do when using VBA is to run the Excel chart recorder while performing the action they want to do in VBA, then fix up the inefficient VBA recorded code and incorporate it into their project. You can do the same thing, although there may be an additional step where you translate or at least reference the VBA code so it works as VB.Net code. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP...

can you look up info from a validated drop down menu in excel 2007
I have a b 2 Name Wage 3 $- 4 existing employee $20.00 5 existing employee $25.00 6 existing employee $17.00 7 Labor Ready ID $10.00 8 Labor Ready UT $10.00 9 Labor Ready WA $10.00 10 Future Employee $- 11 Future Employee $- 12 Future Employee $- in another work sheet i have a&b c d i 5 Labor cost 6 Name hours rate Total Cost 7 8 9 in a7-9 i have a drop menu based on a name I created employee. employee='E...

removing reference to other workbook
hi i have a excel wookbook which contains references to other workbook. whenever i open this wookbook it asks me for updating the link to the other workbook. i want to remove these references to other workbook but am not able to figure out which cell is refering to the other workbook. i also have lot of references in the same workbook. i dont want the internal references to be removed. can anyone help me to accomplish this task. any help is highly appretiated. thankx in advance. pradyumna Hi try the following add-in to find/delete links: http://www.bmsltd.ie/DLCount/DLCount.asp?file=FindL...

Copy a graph to a new workbook
A worksheet was created that contains data with an associated graph. The data and the graph were copied and pasted into a new workbook. The data on the graph points to the original workbook. Is there an easy way when you copy and paste to have the graph point to the data in the new workbook without editing the entire dataset and pointing it to the new workbook? Hubes - Maybe you could use: Edit | Move or Copy Sheet. - Mike Middleton http://www.DecisionToolworks.com Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel "Hubes" <Hubes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E...

Multiple data sets on the same graph
Any clue why a primary and secondary data set that are linked to the same horizontal axis will not line up properly on the graph? For example, a marker that is on the same vertical line as the data set above it will read a few days ahead or behind. -- ...

How do I change the Excel 2000 sheet tab size? It's too small.
For some reason my sheet tab size is very very small. How can I change it to be bigger? Kelli This is a function of your Windows Display Properties. The size of the sheet tabs are governed by the setting for Scrollbars in Windows Display Appearance. Mine are at 18. Start there and work your way up or down. The font will increase or decrease with the size of sheet tabs. Win98 as example... Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Appearance(WinXP Appearance>Advanced) "Item" drop down select Scrollbar Change setting to Taste Apply OK Depending upon your s...

Excel Vslow durin SavePreviewOrPrint. Netwk bcomes v bZ. Any adv?
I am running Office 2003 on my Toshiba WinXP P4 Labtop. Recently noticed my Excel starts to give problem... I didn't know why it happened. First, when open or save large file (size), it runs very slowly, sometimes showed NOT RESPONDING, then after 15-20 seconds, file opened (or saved). Now, I also notice the slow down whenever I preview or print. During this action, I noticed the network becomes very busy. Therefore, I tried disabled network and worked on the same excel files. The speed of opening, saving, previewing and printing are fast. Any one there with similar situation and ...

Conditional Sorting in Excel
I have what im hoping is a simple question. Basically, I am organizing an event for 60 people and need to come up with table assignments for 4 separate events. I am trying to put these 60 people into groups of 10, but I don't want people from the same cities sitting together and I also don't want people to sit with the same person multiple times (or at least as well as possible). I basically have a 2 column spreadsheet - A is attendee names and B is cities. Is there anyway that I can generate 4 distinct (or close to) lists - each list containing 6 groups of 10? ...

Can't change source data path for Pivot Chart
I want to change the source data path of a Pivot Chart that's pulling data from an Access table. I tried following the KB at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP051991761033.aspx but when I click on "Get Data" it just shows the other tables in that database, where I want to change the file it's reading from (same database name just different path). How do I do this? there must be a better way but I do this.. double click on any DATA value in the PT and create a worksheet with the rows making up that data value. re-define the PT's source data as comin...

Excel 2003: Duplicate dashboard and data sheets
Hello, I created a dashboard with several small graphs on it. The data for the graphs is stored on a separate data sheet (i.e., work sheet). I now want to duplicate the dashboard/data sheets to build a dashboard for another employee. I envision the workbook eventually having 5 dashboards driven off 5 data sheets. The trick I'm looking for is a way to change the datasource for the graphs on the copied datasheet to the appropriate corresponding data sheet. I know how to do it manually but it seems like there should be some sort of "find and replace" ty...

Access combo box control by another data field
Hi, I use a combo box in a form with look-up from a table for selecting data. Easy enough. But, I want to only see a selection of the data in the table, depending on a value in another field in the form. I the combo box table I have ID, data1, and data. data1 is the one that shall be equal to the other field. 1, 1, text1 2, 1, text2 3, 2, texta 4, 2, textb 5, 2, textc etc. I have tried using the standard query that comes with the combo box, and then adding a WHERE statement testing against the data fiel in the form, but it does not work. Any suggestions anyone? Check this link on &...

How do I retrieve an Excel file data after my computer crashed?
My computer crashed and I lost the work I had done in an previously existing Excel file. Is there anyway that I can retrieve this data? Thanks Hi depending on your Excel version maybe AutoRecovery helps. This should come up after restarting Excel. But I would suspect your data is lost -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Craig wrote: > My computer crashed and I lost the work I had done in an previously > existing Excel file. Is there anyway that I can retrieve this data? > Thanks ...

Saving an Excel Spreadsheet outside of Excel Recent Documents
Okay "boys & girls" you may think this is a primative question, but I just can't figure this out: When I save an Excel spreadsheet, the only way I can get back into it is to open up my Excel program > Open the file I previously saved. And that is not a problem. However, what if I wanna save that Excel spreadsheet into one of my computer document foldders? Now that's the problem! If I click: Start > Documents then I see all my special folders with all my special stuff. Well, I wanna be able to save some of my Excel spreadsheets in a special fol...

Excel 2003 Upgrade
If I only have Microsoft Works Suite 2004, and I purchase the Excel 2003 upgrade only, will I get the full functionality of Excel, or just an upgraded Works spreadsheet program. Acccording to the Microsoft site, Works Suite 2004 qualifies for the upgrade, but am not sure what that entirely means. Thanks much. Steve Steve, If Works does indeed qualify you to purchase the Upgrade version of Excel, you will get the complete Excel application. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "bermuda1995@aol.com" <anonym...

Problems entering numbers into Excel
Whenever I enter a number into my excel w/sheet, I get the same number divided by 100. . . e.g. I enter 256 and the cel contains 2.56 . . any clues??? really would appreciate it!!!! Tools/Options/Edit uncheck the Fixed decimal places checkbox. In article <434501c3fed3$4eed1260$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "scuzzie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Whenever I enter a number into my excel w/sheet, I get the > same number divided by 100. . . e.g. I enter 256 and the > cel contains 2.56 . . any clues??? > > really would appreciate it!!!! Many tha...

Excel crashes when copying worksheet
Whenever I try to copy or move certain worksheets either within the same workbook or to a new workbook Excel crashes. I cannot reopen Excel (vs. 2000) without deleting it from the Program Manager - it remains in the background. I suspect the problem may have to do with having too many characters in certain cells, although I carefully combed through one of these worksheets and thought that I had fixed all cells so that none had more than 200 characters and it still crashed Excel when I tried to copy it. Does anyone have any solutions for this? ----------------------------------------------...

Converting txt file to Excel
I have a text file imported into Excel that is setup as follows: Account Number Account Registration Payee Information 001511xxxxxx John Doe US Bank 123 First Street 100 Powell Ave Las Vegas, NV 00000 Las Vegas, NV 001512xxxxxx Jane Doe US Bank 124 First Street 100 Powell Ave Las Vegas, NV 00000 Las Vegas, NV And this report can have up to 400 accounts. Is there a way to related the Account Registration and Payee Information to the Account N...

Cannot double click an excel file and open it.
Hi When I double click an excel file, the excel application opens with a grey screen. If I drag the file onto the grey screen it opens fine. If I double click an excel attachement the excel screen opens grey and I get a message box saying The system cannot find the file specified. If I drag an excel file into the outlook inbox and then double click on it, it launches as it would normaly. I have un associated and re associated the file with Excel. I have checked the selections under the window menu in Excel, but unhide is greyed out, indicating that excel has opened, but not loaded the fil...

Is it possible to view Excel split screen by tab within same file
I would like to view split screen tabs within the same Excel workbook. Is this possible? Hi SS. Go to Window - Arrange - and select the view you would like. It shows all tabs. Minimize or close the ones you don't want. I find the vertical view the easiest to use. HTH -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "SS" wrote: > I would like to view split screen tabs within the same Excel workbook. Is > this possible? Window|new window Window|Arrange (horizontal/vertical/whatever you want) Check windows of activeworkbook (if you only want that one workbook) You'll see som...

Enter some data into field
I would like to allow the user to type in the first letter or two into a field and have the closiest data display. Example: If they are typing the name Jonathon, when they put in Jo the rest of the closiest match appears (john), as they type the rest, it keeps showing the cloiest match (jonathon). Is there a property value I can set to allow this to happen. Thanks On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:14:00 -0800, Dan @BCBS wrote: > I would like to allow the user to type in the first letter or two into a > field and have the closiest data display. > Example: If they are typing the name Jo...

divide column(x) by column(y) to give column(x/y) in excel?
I'm trying to divide one column by another column to give me another column of awnsers as in B1/C1=D1, B2/C2=D2 etc... Is this possible? Thanks In cell D1 enter the following formula: =B1/C1 Copy this formula down column D as far as you need. The cell references will increment automatically. HTH, Elkar "James" wrote: > I'm trying to divide one column by another column to give me another column > of awnsers as in B1/C1=D1, B2/C2=D2 etc... Is this possible? > Thanks ...

Using Form to populate several tables
I want to create a form to track orders, however, the data that a user will type in for an order is also on 2 other tables that contain more information. Is there anyway to update that information as well? Example of what I'm trying to say: Table: Orders - Field: Circuit ID I'd like to update the Circuit ID field in both Table: Entrance and Table: DS3 without the user having to do too much. Is that possible? What about setting up one-to-many relationship with cascade upde related fields and use form/subforms for data entry and viewing? -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a l...

How do I enable Excel's "formula prompt?"
Excel on my old laptop would "prompt" me as I entered a formula. By prompt, I mean that a small beige box (comprised of a single line of text) would appear outlining the formula arguments as I typed. It was akin to the formula wizzard, but not nearly as comprehensive - a kind of reminder of the variables necessary to complete the formula. This ability was enormously useful and appears to be disabled on my new laptop. How can I enable it? The Function tooltips feature is available in Excel 2002 and later versions. To turn the feature on: Choose Tools>Options On the General...