Address labels list

Where do i start to look for making an address label list
0
Sally (53)

Will this list be used for Mail Merges?
If so:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm

These are good places to get information.

tj

"sally" wrote:

> Where do i start to look for making an address label list
0
tjtjjtjt (488)
12/18/2004 7:25:02 PM
Good place to start AND finish!

HTH,

RD

"sally" <sally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Where do i start to look for making an address label list

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
12/18/2004 7:30:17 PM
From the point of view of someone charged with supporting and trouble
shooting approximately 125 mail mergers, I would caution you to add one
feature that is often neglected by Excel experts, normalize your data as much
as possible.
Break it up into first name, last name , several address fields as well as
separate city, stat and zip fields.  This will allow far more flexibility in
sorting and filtering if required, although if you are using Offec 2002 or
later, you will be able to filter from the recipients list in the word mail
merge wizard, or toolbar.  Normalizing may save you future headaches that
will require more sophisiticated parsing.  You never know what the future of
you data requirments and uses  will require.

"sally" wrote:

> Where do i start to look for making an address label list
0
PA (98)
12/19/2004 6:39:10 PM
PA

I would disagree with your statement "often neglected by Excel experts".

Setting up proper fields and names is foremost in most Excel experts
instructions for mailmerge.

See these two sites for example...........

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:39:10 -0800, "PA" <PA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>From the point of view of someone charged with supporting and trouble
>shooting approximately 125 mail mergers, I would caution you to add one
>feature that is often neglected by Excel experts, normalize your data as much
>as possible.
>Break it up into first name, last name , several address fields as well as
>separate city, stat and zip fields.  This will allow far more flexibility in
>sorting and filtering if required, although if you are using Offec 2002 or
>later, you will be able to filter from the recipients list in the word mail
>merge wizard, or toolbar.  Normalizing may save you future headaches that
>will require more sophisiticated parsing.  You never know what the future of
>you data requirments and uses  will require.
>
>"sally" wrote:
>
>> Where do i start to look for making an address label list

0
Gord
12/19/2004 8:23:29 PM
With all due respect, I must disagree with you.  The example of a data source
at
is not normalized.  Even the Mail Merge Wizard in MS Word leads the user to
a more normalized set of fields.  The example you cite combines frist and
last name and also combines  city, state and zip.
The heavy mailmerge user needs much flexibility in sorting, by last name, or
city or state or  someother field.  They are also mainly Word users and not
power users of Excel.  While sorting by State in a field of combined City,
State, Zip data would be easy for you (even I can do it). an administrative
assistant, under the gun to get out 800 form letters does not have time to
learn.

For further clarification on this and other MailMerge issues, you should
refer to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> PA
>
> I would disagree with your statement "often neglected by Excel experts".
>
> Setting up proper fields and names is foremost in most Excel experts
> instructions for mailmerge.
>
> See these two sites for example...........
>
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm
>
> http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm
>
> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:39:10 -0800, "PA" <PA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >From the point of view of someone charged with supporting and trouble
> >shooting approximately 125 mail mergers, I would caution you to add one
> >feature that is often neglected by Excel experts, normalize your data as much
> >as possible.
> >Break it up into first name, last name , several address fields as well as
> >separate city, stat and zip fields.  This will allow far more flexibility in
> >sorting and filtering if required, although if you are using Offec 2002 or
> >later, you will be able to filter from the recipients list in the word mail
> >merge wizard, or toolbar.  Normalizing may save you future headaches that
> >will require more sophisiticated parsing.  You never know what the future of
> >you data requirments and uses  will require.
> >
> >"sally" wrote:
> >
> >> Where do i start to look for making an address label list

0
PA (98)
12/20/2004 12:31:01 AM
PA

You are correct in your summation of the material presented at David's site.

I did not look closely enough.  He does combine some fields as you point out.

Please accept apologies and thanks for your observations on this subject.

Gord

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:31:01 -0800, "PA" <PA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>With all due respect, I must disagree with you.  The example of a data source
>at
>http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm
>is not normalized.  Even the Mail Merge Wizard in MS Word leads the user to
>a more normalized set of fields.  The example you cite combines frist and
>last name and also combines  city, state and zip.
>The heavy mailmerge user needs much flexibility in sorting, by last name, or
>city or state or  someother field.  They are also mainly Word users and not
>power users of Excel.  While sorting by State in a field of combined City,
>State, Zip data would be easy for you (even I can do it). an administrative
>assistant, under the gun to get out 800 form letters does not have time to
>learn.
>
>For further clarification on this and other MailMerge issues, you should
>refer to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge
>
>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> PA
>>
>> I would disagree with your statement "often neglected by Excel experts".
>>
>> Setting up proper fields and names is foremost in most Excel experts
>> instructions for mailmerge.
>>
>> See these two sites for example...........
>>
>> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm
>>
>> http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm
>>
>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:39:10 -0800, "PA" <PA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >From the point of view of someone charged with supporting and trouble
>> >shooting approximately 125 mail mergers, I would caution you to add one
>> >feature that is often neglected by Excel experts, normalize your data as much
>> >as possible.
>> >Break it up into first name, last name , several address fields as well as
>> >separate city, stat and zip fields.  This will allow far more flexibility in
>> >sorting and filtering if required, although if you are using Offec 2002 or
>> >later, you will be able to filter from the recipients list in the word mail
>> >merge wizard, or toolbar.  Normalizing may save you future headaches that
>> >will require more sophisiticated parsing.  You never know what the future of
>> >you data requirments and uses  will require.

0
Gord

Seeking advice on how to print a price list
I am trying to produce a price list from a large Excel spreadsheet - it comes down to roughly 10000 items on three columns - I'd do it in Excel but want to get three columns to the page but don't want to manually format each page (the previous version was in this format and took roughly 60 pages of text) Copying and pasting into Word crashes Word while I've not been able to effectively figure out mail merge to create what I'd like. I'm using Office 2003 but do not believe there's any way to get Excel to print multi-column as I'd like to. Therefore I think I'm ...

list box #5
I have created an in-cell drop down box that works perfectly, except that it shows blank until you scroll to the top of the list. Is there a way that it would show the first option in the list, rather than start at the end? Are you sure you don't have some blank cells selected in your vaildation? If the cell with the data validation list is blank, and there is a blank cell at the end of the source range, that's what will be selected when the list is opened. If you're leaving blanks so the list can grow, you can use a dynamic name for the range instead. There are instructi...

How to get a list of opened MDI child windows in MDI main frame?
To active a speciffic child frame by calling void CMDIFrameWnd::MDIActivate( CWnd* pWndActivate ); However, how do I get the pointer of the child frame? Should I create an array variable to keep these pointers? Or there will be more better way? Thank you! CDocument has member functions which you can interate through different views. Here's an example. POSITION pos = GetFirstViewPosition(); while (pos) { CView* pView = GetNextView(pos); if (pView) { // do something with pView } } Check the help file for more information on these two functions in CDocument. Relv &q...

Smart List Export to Excel
When I export smart list data to an Excel Spreadsheet, I cannot use the month function on date fields. They look like dates, and have serial numbers like dates, but the function returns 01-04-1900 instead of the month. Is this an Excel issue or an issue with date fromatting from samrt lists? thanks -- Bob G Bob, What versions of GP and Excel? I just tried it on my GP 9.0 SP 2 and Excel 2007 - dumped a bunch of Account Transaction lines to Excel, and the MONTH function worked correctly...... -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions, Inc. "Bob Gunderson" &l...

Recovery of Outlook and Outlook Express addresses and messages 04-25-10
I used Outlook Express and my wife used Outlook on the same computer. I had to reload Internet Explorer and it erased my Outlook Express. I retrieved the address book (.WAB) and was able to import it into Outlook to get myself back up. Subsequently, the computer had a major failure of the CPU and I have moved that disk drive into a USB external enclosure. I need to recover my wife's Outlook addresses and those of mine as well but do not know the naming protocol within Outlook. I would also like to retrieve the messages left back in Outlook Express and those in the tw...

Junk mail "Safe list"
I have a serires of junk mail filters that are working quite well...but from time to time I get an e-mail that I want to read that is deleted. I have tried to add the the sender's address to the "safe sender" and "safe dommaine" lists...but this does not seem to work...their mails are still deleted. What am I doing wrong???? "ajb" <ajbehr@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:%23SABx2auDHA.1788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a serires of junk mail filters that are working quite well...but from > time to time I get an e-mail that I want to r...

Sorting a list
I need to sort a list by group #. The list consists of 8 colums of info accross, and so i need to sort left- to right. Not sure how to go about doing this correctly without losing info! thanks, megan Select the entire sheet by clicking the grey box above row 1 and to th left of column A. Go to 'Data' on the top menu bar. Select Sort. Check the box for Header row if your data has headers. Then select, using the drop down arrow, Group # or the correspondin column with the Group #. Select OK. Does this help -- surg4u197 -------------------------------------------------------...

E-mail to every e-mail address in an Excel column?
Say I have an Excel spreadsheet with one column of e-mail addresses. I want to send the same piece of e-mail (a WORD file) to each address. Is there an easy way? Hi Try this one with the e-mail addresses in "Sheet1" column C Visit also my site for more examples Sub Mail_workbook_Outlook() Dim OutApp As Object Dim OutMail As Object Dim cell As Range Dim strto As String For Each cell In ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1") _ .Columns("C").Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants) If cell.Value Like "*@*" Then st...

creating a list from a column of semicolon

Mailing List
How do I create a mailing list in excel? Excel looked like a math thing which scared the daylights out of me. Up to this point in my career I've been able to dodge using excel, but my luck has run out. Please help. I need to create a mailing list and then....and then....do a dreaded mail merge! -- Karen Karen, set up name, address, ..... in a diffent column and have a look at the links below for help on using Word mail merge with Excel as the data source http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org...

Integration manager and list pricing
Hi all. Apologies if this ends up being a double post. Not sure my first post actually went through. I am trying to import a selection of inventory items with a list price. My integration has the List Price pulling from a source field with a valid dollar amount in it. The LISTPRCE field of table IV00105 is never populated though. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong and how to fix it? Thank you. populate the list price in the currency tab "Christopher Williams" <Christopher Williams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C21C1D0C-9219-40A1-8B24-4...

Smart list for net invoicing for 2 companys
I'm am trying to get an idea of what can be done with smarlist builder. I need to create a Smart list report: net invoicing for 2 seperate companies; also would like to have collumns for us, GBP, and originating currency. Would this be better done in Smartlist Builder/ FRx/ or somthing like reporting services or Chrystal? You can certainly accomplish this in any of the tools you mentioned. SmartList Builder, in particular, will require you to create a SQL Server view -- preferrably in the Dynamics database -- that consolidate the information for all the companies involved. That vi...

Create a toolbar button to automatically address an e-mail message
Hi, I have tried using MS Outlook help to create a button which automatically addresses a mail message. I cannot for the life of me succeed at this because the Help on outlook is so poor. Has anyone done this or knows how to do this?? All I am trying to do is create an "email template" that will automatically cc a colleague as they need to be cc on nearly all of my emails. So if there is an easier way to do this, that would obviously be better. Many thanks M ...

Problem showing memo field in list box
I am using Access 2007 in 2002-2003 mode. I have a memo field in a linked table tbl_tasks.description. When I use the Listbox wizard to create a listbox, at the point where the wizard shows me what fields are available to include in the Listbox, it does not show me the memo field. I bypassed that and created the listbox anyway, then modified the rowsource of the listbox to add in the memo field. When I tried this, and when I open the form, Access prompts me for the value of tbl_tasks.description. When I search the newsgroups on this general subject, I see that listboxes generally show a t...

Remove mailbox from Everyone distribution list?
I have a mailbox user that I do NOT want to be part of the "everyone" distribution list. I don't want to make it a "hidden" mailbox since I do want people to send emails to him. Any ideas if this is possible? I'm on Exch 5.5 in a Windows 2000 environment. thanks "Pablo" <pmosca@citizensconferencing.com> wrote in news:1fdc01c44a45 $8113e4e0$7d02280a@phx.gbl: > I have a mailbox user that I do NOT want to be part of > the "everyone" distribution list. I don't want to make it > a "hidden" mailbox since I do want...

Using drop down lists to set value for formula
I have a worksheet that I am trying to calculate material prices on. have the user input Length, Width and calculate SqFeet. I then let th user choose the material to be sued from a lsit. The lsit is reference from sheet2. I would like to assign the price to each material fro sheet2 and when the user selects the material have the price b multiplied by the SqFeet and displayed in a price field. I have create the list, I just can't figrue out how to assign dollar values t choices or use them in a formula. Any help would be appreciated +-------------------------------------------------...

Hiding Address' in the GAL
How do I hide certain items in the GAL? I want this to be group based as well so that domain admins see everything but people in the Sales team only see what I specify. -Ben You will need to setup multiple GALs with custom queries and permissions on each. XADM: How to Manage Address Lists When You Host Virtual Organizations http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318635 -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of incl...

Printing address and email lists in Publisher 2007
I have just purchased this software and have spent about and hour trying to figure out how to print the address list I created in Publisher in the My data source file. Does anyone know how to do that? I can't believe something so simple is this hard. -- Sandy Select a label, the first one will do, 2.625 X 1 inch, 30 per page. Insert your fields. In step 3 Merge to a new publication. In print setup select *Multiple pages per sheet.* Or simply merge to a plain letter stock sheet using the aforementioned label. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Sandy" <Sandy@discu...

Members of Distribution List visible in GAL
This is probably a stupid question, but I am just not 100% sure. We have a forest with 5 domains. There is a DL in domain A that a user in domain B can see, but when they go to view the members from the GAL it appears blank. Is this by design or it just a simple rights issue? thanks for any insight. bobyahoo@gmail.com wrote: >This is probably a stupid question, but I am just not 100% sure. We >have a forest with 5 domains. There is a DL in domain A that a user in >domain B can see, but when they go to view the members from the GAL it >appears blank. > >Is this by des...

View Marketing list for Campaign Activity
Hi, In crm you cannot see the marketing list used on a campaign activity. You can only see the MLs used for the whole campaign. But crm keeps the relation in the campaignactivityitem entity which is apparantly a hidden entity in between campaign activity and marketing list. Is there a way to visualise that relationship? It would be nice to have a 'Marketing lists' nav item on the left in Campaign activiy. Viewing all the activities for a ML is not needed. Kind Regards, Philippe ...

Losgt Address Book
All contacts were lost when we upgraded from ME to XP Pro. Can we locate the contacts which had all our email addresses Of course. You provided no detail that would explain your problem or permit troubleshooting. Please feel free to do so. All Outlook data is stored in PST files. Search for and open each PST file you find until you find your data. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1070d01c43f8f$2453c740$a001280a@phx.gbl... > All contacts were lost when we upgraded from ME to XP Pro. > Can we locate the contacts which had...

Global Address List issue
Recently migrated to Exchange 2003 sp1 from Exchange 5.5. We have a problem that did not exist before the migration and I am wondering if it's an Exchange 23K or AD security thing...or what... Some of our users use Outlook 23K and some use Outlook 2000...both have same issue - for the people who still use a "personal address book, aka PAB", they can no longer add members from our Global Address List to a personal dist list in their PAB. However, they CAN add users from the Global Address List to a personal dist list in their CONTACTS. Is this by design? We Exchange Ad...

How do I change to a new e-mail address?
I'm having to change my e-mail but I don't know how to change Outlook to accept when i request a download of new e-mails. Neal wrote: > I'm having to change my e-mail but I don't know how to change Outlook to > accept when i request a download of new e-mails. Delete the old defunct e-mail account. Create a new e-mail account. Or just change the settings in the old account defined in Outlook to match up with your new account. Follow the unidentified e-mail provider's help on what are their settings. make a new account "Neal" wrote: ...

Repeat labels in Pivot Tables
Is there a way to get excel to repeat the label on a pivot table so that there are no blank fields on the report? No... Apparently in XL2010 that is a new feature but at this point... No -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "shawkins84" wrote: > Is there a way to get excel to repeat the label on a pivot table so that > there are no blank fields on the report? > Not and keep it a pivottable. If I don't need the pivottable, I'll convert to values (select the entire PT range and edit|copy, then edit|Paste special|values). If I need the pivottable, t...

Outlook 2003 Out of office forwarding to SMTP address
I will out of the office for sometime, i know i can use out of office to forward to another member of my team (internal email), I have tried to forward the email to my hotmail account, instead of a team member of mine. But this does not seem to work. Is Outlook 2003 capable of doing this? Please help asap It's not Outlook 2003 limiting you in this but the mail server settings. By (secure) default automatic forwarding to the Internet is disabled on an Exchange server. To enable; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/automaticreply.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-out...