a simple count question ... ?

I'm using Excel 2007 and in column A I have a list of items that I wish to
have a total count of.  I have spaces (empty cells) between some items in
column A to make it easier to group (and to see) but was wondering if
there's a way to count the cells that only contain info.

In case I haven't described this clearly, I don't want an addition of these
items (they're words and not numbers), I just want to know how many cells in
column A contain data.

Thanks, Dave Horne

0
davehorne (161)

Hi Dave

=COUNTA(A1:A100)

Regards,
Per

"Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> skrev i meddelelsen
> I'm using Excel 2007 and in column A I have a list of items that I wish to
> have a total count of.  I have spaces (empty cells) between some items in
> column A to make it easier to group (and to see) but was wondering if
> there's a way to count the cells that only contain info.
>
> In case I haven't described this clearly, I don't want an addition of
> these items (they're words and not numbers), I just want to know how many
> cells in column A contain data.
>
> Thanks, Dave Horne

0
per.jessen (135)
12/26/2008 11:33:03 AM
Per, thank you!  It worked like a charm.   Dave Horne

"Per Jessen" <per.jessen@mail.dk> wrote in message
> Hi Dave
>
> =COUNTA(A1:A100)
>
> Regards,
> Per
>
> "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> skrev i meddelelsen
>> I'm using Excel 2007 and in column A I have a list of items that I wish
>> to have a total count of.  I have spaces (empty cells) between some items
>> in column A to make it easier to group (and to see) but was wondering if
>> there's a way to count the cells that only contain info.
>>
>> In case I haven't described this clearly, I don't want an addition of
>> these items (they're words and not numbers), I just want to know how many
>> cells in column A contain data.
>>
>> Thanks, Dave Horne

0
davehorne (161)

Question about easy qualitative graph
Here's what we want to graph. Categories are snowfall, snowpack, temperature, and precipitation. We want these to be on the y axis. Values are above, normal, below. We want these to be on the x axis with them going from left to right (below, normal, above) with space to the left of "below". Snowfall=above, snowpack=above, temperature=below, precipitation=normal. This sounds very easy, but not sure how to plot this without using numbers, which we aren't using. Thanks for your time, S On Mar 22, 10:19=A0pm, shadrack <shadke...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Here's what ...

Count unique names in a list
hi How do I count a list of names, some names appear more than once. I only want to count unique names. I use excel 2007 Thanks Cassie One way... =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A20<>"")/COUNTIF(A2:A20,A2:A20&"")) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Cassie" <Cassie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B610A13C-FAF8-46EF-A63C-AAE88EEFB89F@microsoft.com... > hi > How do I count a list of names, some names appear more than once. I only > want to count unique names. > I use excel 2007 > Thanks > Cassie For ...

Updating Money Deluxe 2007 question
Will Microsoft keep the Money updates available permanently, as they do with updates for old operating systems like Windows 98? The reason I ask is that, at least in my experience, Money updates have never been a manually downloadable file, but rather once you install the program, Money calls out on the Internet and looks for updates. If Microsoft doesn't keep the updates online, is there any way to download the update files now for permanent keeping? I did a test. I installed Money 2007 Deluxe on my Virtual PC. As soon as I went into the program after installation, it updated ...

TreeView XML Question
Hi Guys, I have different pages in ASP.NET.And i have a treeview that populates XML that i use as the MENU. Is it possible to have one asp.net page but populating different XML to the mENU? Any ideas? ...

XmlTextReader Question #2
Hi, I am starting out an xml file, example's below. It will be like that but larger. I am having problems actually getting at the inner nodes. Example the items I named InputOne, State, DebounceOn. Not sure how to get each data item Any help, directions would be appreciated. Right now I am doing in C#, SystemIO.StreamReader stream = new SystemIO.StreamReader("theFile.xml); XmlTextReader reader = null; reader = new XmlTextReader(stream); while( reader.Read()) switch(reader.NodeType) { case XmlNodeType.Element: Console.Write( reader.Name + reader.Value); break; case XmlNo...

Help with a simple query
Hi guys and gals, Can anyone help me with this query? I am having some issues with pulling in all names even though (it appears) I have the join correct. SELECT tblEmployee.EmpRptID, tblEmployee.UserName, Sum(tmpReports.NumOfSets) AS SumOfNumOfSets FROM tblEmployee LEFT JOIN tmpReports ON tblEmployee.UserName = tmpReports.UserName WHERE (((tblEmployee.IsCQATech)=True) AND ((tmpReports.CompleteDate) Between #2/8/2010# And #2/12/2010#)) GROUP BY tblEmployee.EmpRptID, tblEmployee.UserName; What am I doing wrong? You have defeated the left join by applying criteria to the right s...

Can I have one register from two accounts in M03 and in import question
I have just begun trying-out Money 2003 and am having trouble doing what I want to do. I have two accounts, one is a Merrill Lynch money market account which contains my portfolio and my VISA account and I also write checks in that account. The second account is a Credit Union account in which deposits are made and from which I pay bills. I would like to have one register that will contain all deposits and expenditures, including the VISA charges, from both accounts. Can I do this and how? Also, ML only keeps 90 days worth of transactions. I would like to load the entire year into Mone...

A If then running count
I am trying and just cannot get it. I am trying to get a formula that does this: If have cell n3 at numbers up to 9 then cell v3 I want to read "1" If have cell n3 at numbers up to 14.9 then cell v3 I want to read "2" If have cell n3 at numbers up to 19.9 then cell v3 I want to read "3" If have cell n3 at numbers up to 24.9 then cell v3 I want to read "4" and so on. My attempt is to make the numbers increase by 1 when counting by 5. can anyone help me on this. How about this? =IF(A1<=9,1,ROUNDDOWN(A1/5,0)) ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArtic...

Question about restarting money
It has been over a year since I have updated my money account. I am ready to start again, but don't know the best way to start over. Do I just start a new account or try to update the old one in some way? any advice will be appreciated Grace Unless you want to input a year's worth of transactions the easiest way is to create a new file. File > New -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Grace" <grace_33322@yahoo.com> wrote ...

Question regarding opening Calender
When I open Outlook it always open to my email. I want to open it to see my calendar always. How might I do that? Thanks! Russ Russ's Signature Page http://home.comcast.net/~rblwood/Signature.html Tools->Options->Other->Advanced. Change it using the dropdown list. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, SignatureMan asked: | When I open Outlook it always open to my e...

It is a question about the Visual C++ 6.0 Enter(or Pro)
Hello. Environment : Visual C++ 6.0 Enter versions When I add approximately 1,500 sources to one DLL and build. vc60.idb becomes around 35MB, and the following errors are displayed, and build stops. \x1.cpp(19) fatal error C1073: Internal error involving incremental compilation(compiler file 'main.c', line 629) \x1.cpp(23) fatal error C1073: Internal error involving incremental compilation(compiler file 'main.c', line 629) When I delete vc60.idb, An error is not displayed, and build is performed till the last. Thanks, "teratera" <teratera@discussions.m...

IE8 privacy question

How to use count with multiple conditions
I have a table in Excel: The first row is time in years. The second row is method name,say,"A","B","C". I want to count the number when the time is less than 5 years AND "A" method is adopted. I tried this: count(if(AND(C2:Z2<5,C3:Z3="A"),C2:Z2) but it didn't work. Any suggestion on how to revise the formula? Thanks! In the mean time, count(if(C2:Z2<5,C2:Z2))worked as well as countif(C2:Z2,"<5") Ming =SUMPRODUCT(--(C2:Z2<5),--(C3:Z3="A")) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing...

counting cells with conditional formatting applied
I am looking for a way/formula that will count the number of times a cell with conditional formatting has occured. I have a column of cells that is compared to another column of cells and if one condition is met (<), the cell's color is set to Red or if another condition is met (>) the cell's color is set to Green. I am wanting to add a column that gives me the total number of Red cell's in that column. Thanks! Look on Chip's site at www.cpearson.com best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "HalB" <HalB@disc...

focus question
Hi! I am developing an application for specific pda... i need to create a Software Input Panel(normally its implemented in win ce but the oem excluded it from the system)... the problem is as follows: The software keyboard is in a separate child window... no i need to be able to keep the caret on its place(on a selected editbox for example) while pressing buttons on the keyboard. Please help :) Another question is, what message do i have to send to the application in order to put/send a character to an editbox(specified by the caret). Thanx. climax! wrote: > Hi! > > I am developi...

Conditional count on subform
I am trying to determine insurance rebates. The rebate is prorated. I have a calculate field on my form that has the formula for determining the amount of the rebate based on coverage, years worked etc but I need to multiply this amount by the actual number of health premium payments each person made over a 6 mo. period. I have a subform that shows the 6 month history of activity on the accounts. One record per month. Some people have health ins., some life, some both etc.. Some people join during the 6 mo. period - some leave. They only get rebates on the health portion. I need to get...

Simplifying my previous question ...
I suspect that (since I didn't get any response on my previous request for assistance) I may need to approach this in stages ... Assuming that Information Rights Management (IRM) won't give me the detailed permissions I need, basically, here's what I need: 1. A Macro that will unprotect a series of Workbooks (approximately 200 of them) so that the Auto Update function in Linked Data can update without user intervention. 2. I copied this Macro from a previous post -- how can I modify the following code to achieve what I need from it: Can I use something like this? I ...

Toolbar only shows symbols plus font question
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3348491993_24392315 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit I have 2 questions: When I copy/paste text from another source (another email message or a Word document) into an email message, the font changes to a different typestyle/size which Entourage does not allow me to change. I end up having to retype it all if I want it to look uniform rather than like a ransom note. What do I n...

Autofilter question
I have an autofilter with a column of data that includes operators such as > and <. For example, one of the records would read "> 60 days past due" How would I go about coding the criteria to show the records that display "> 60 days past due"? Thanks, Chad Macro recorder returns this. Selection.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="=> 60 days past due" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 13:23:01 -0700, Chad <Chad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have an autofilter with a column of data that include...

Yet another address book question
Just move to Outlook ought three and t'was my good luck to see a posting here simply saying the you could no longer automatically put people you reply to in your address book. That's what I was looking for. Followed the link to some code to work around this but there was no explanation about how to make the code work. So, what's the real work around for this handy feature (automatically adding people to your phone book)? Do I just use OE or move to some other email program? Thanks, Becky If you are referring to the sample code at http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/autob...

Question on Budgets for Money 2005
I am considering buying Money 2005. I have a question about the budget feature in Money 2005. I was wondering if you can specify when the budget starts and ends each month. For instance, my budget goes from the middle of the month to the middle of the next month. Thanks for your help. The budget stuff has changed a bit (advanced budget (same as 2004) versus the 'essential' budget), but having budgets running from custom dates is not one of them. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny ...

Quick Exchange 5.5 question
Hi, Can ICS functions be ran on a second server for load balancing? Thanks David ...

Simple hack to get $1500 to your home
Simple hack to get $1500 to your home At http://bannerclickandget.tk Due to high security risks, i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side Above search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque. please don,t tell to anyone. ...

POS question #2
Anyone out there know how to get rid of the pop up that comes up after completing a transaction in POS? My cashiers sometimes forget to manually close it and when they scan the item for next sale, it closes the pop up but does not record the item on the screen. I believe we are giving some items away because of that. Any help is appreciated. Regards JD JD, There is a way, you need to program a "macro" such as alt F-12 to be the key that pops open the register, but it does not give the cashier the total amount due any longer, because what you are doing is by-passing, or go...

Maximum Activations Question
I have Money Plus Deluxe installed on my desktop and my netbook computers. I would like to install it on my new laptop, but when I go to activate, it says I have reached the maximum number of activations (presumably, 2). Is there any way I can removed Money from one of my other computers and install it on my laptop, without having to buy another copy? Thank you, Ian Murray ...