XML Source Menu Item disabled?? File version??

My XML Source Menu Item is disabled (aka greyed-out).  Why?

I have a workbook with multi-worksheets and I want to enable a conversion to
XML, I'm trying to follow the documentation here, but it's poorly organized
and more poorly written (IMHO).. I can't find anything which tells me why the
menu item would be disabled.  The version is Office 2003 Pro and (clearly)
the capability is there, I can see the "XML Source" item.

I did a quick test and if I make a brand new file, I have the XML Source
option so that means means this is a file version issue?.  I know this
workbook came from an older (Office 2000 or XP) verison of Excel, how do I
convert the workbook so I can attach an XML schema?  Is this why or is there
a problem because of the multiple sheets?

I tried to save the file in XML spreadsheet format but that doesn't seem to
matter, I'm probably missing something obvious, but an hour of googling and
navigating the help documentation hasn't churned up anything.

--
Task - "collaborate and achieve"
http://www.loadngosoftware.com

Jay's rants: http://www.loadngo.biz/content.aspx

Bah, two hours later and I finally find unprotect sheets...
I stand by my earlier opinion about the help, however it appears that yet
again the problem is simple and easy to resolve.. why were the sheets
protected to begin with?

"Jay Lauffer" wrote:

> My XML Source Menu Item is disabled (aka greyed-out).  Why?
>
> I have a workbook with multi-worksheets and I want to enable a conversion to
> XML, I'm trying to follow the documentation here, but it's poorly organized
> and more poorly written (IMHO).. I can't find anything which tells me why the
> menu item would be disabled.  The version is Office 2003 Pro and (clearly)
> the capability is there, I can see the "XML Source" item.
>
> I did a quick test and if I make a brand new file, I have the XML Source
> option so that means means this is a file version issue?.  I know this
> workbook came from an older (Office 2000 or XP) verison of Excel, how do I
> convert the workbook so I can attach an XML schema?  Is this why or is there
> a problem because of the multiple sheets?
>
> I tried to save the file in XML spreadsheet format but that doesn't seem to
> matter, I'm probably missing something obvious, but an hour of googling and
> navigating the help documentation hasn't churned up anything.
>

> --
> Task - "collaborate and achieve"
> http://www.loadngosoftware.com
> http://www.loadngo.biz
> loadngo business solutions LLC
>
> Jay's rants: http://www.loadngo.biz/content.aspx

access denied on import of prior outlook.pst file
I reinstalled windows onto a newly formatted existing hard drive. But, first I copied everything from my old C drive to a newly installed hard drive. I am unable to import or open my previous outlook.pst file and get msg "accessed denied". I believe I have permissions properly specified. Help plz 'Take ownership' see win help, of the folder containing your old OL data files. Copy those files to My Documents Folder. Within OL, File>Open>Data File........browse to that location "Martin" <martynielson@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:B697860C-...

How do i retrieve a deleted excel file?????
Unfortunately, if you don't have a backup, or a disk utility that can recover deleted files, you don't. thank you for the bad news. :o) "JE McGimpsey" wrote: > Unfortunately, if you don't have a backup, or a disk utility that can > recover deleted files, you don't. > Do you have a Recycle Bin? Windows puts all deleted files in there. Just a thought. HTH Otto "Julie Semer" <Julie Semer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C45EA83-69AC-4AF4-9924-DB955562999F@microsoft.com... > You might have success with a pro...

Modify popup menu
I want modify the text in a popupmenu in my mainframe menus. I have the following sample. >File >New > Document > File >Open >Exit All items are easy to change text because they have an ID. To change “File” and “Open”: CMenu* lcl_menu = AfxGetMainWnd()->GetMenu(); lcl_menu->ModifyMenu( 0, MF_BYPOSITION, 0, “FileX”); lcl_menu->ModifyMenu( ID_OPEN, MF_STRING, ID_OPEN, “OpenX” AfxGetMainWnd()->DrawMenuBar(); How can I change “New”? Thanks. Rui See below... On Wed, 23 May 2007 10:57:01 -0700, Rui Oliveira <RuiOliveira@discussion...

How to combine two Money Files?
I have two separate money files, one with all my stock info, and the other with checking, savings accounts, etc. I would like to combine the two into one file. Is there a way to do this? (I'm using Money 2003 small business) Decide which one of the two you want to make your main one. From the "other" one export all accounts in QIF format. Load the new "main" file and import the QIF files. Make sure to import them all together to avoid any transfers being double counted (use CTRL + Click when asked which file to import). -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - M...

Delete Files where-object CreatedDate
Hi Guys i have the following script. This is meant to get all files within a directory and delete it if it older than 31 days can someone assist me as this is currently not working as this script deletes based on LastWriteTime and Not Create Date. Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong is this script below, or perhaps provide something that works All i need is a script that checks a specific directory that I supply, for example D:\FTP\Public\ And Deletes all Files and Folders Older (Create Date) than 31 days #Date Created 28/01/2010 #Owner Marcus Van Wyk vanwykm@gess...

Exchange 2007 CCR and transaction log files clean
Hi to u all, If i will backup the passive node, how the transaction log files will be deleted from the active node ? should I need to run Backup or script (which delete uncommited log files) or eseutil /mk every X time on the active node ? Thanks, Didi No, you don't need to do anything to delete log files manually from the active copy - it's taken care of by the Replication service. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Did" <didi10000@walla.co.il> wrote ...

Corrupt File? #2
I have a workbook which is the data source for MS Access (Linked table). The workbook has some basic macro coding (changes text names to cost centers, etc). While working with the data yesterday in Excel, an error message appeared, closed the workbook, and now I can't reopen it. I can pull the data in by linking it to another workbook but not through access. The dialog I receive when attempting to link in excel is: Links to 'Workbook.xls' were not updated because 'Workbook.xls' was not recalculated before it was last saved. To update links with current values i...

Reading Vista files from XP
We have just started receiving Excel files from others that were created using a MS Vista version of Excel. The file extension is XLS. When we try to open the files using our XP version of Excel, the program crashes. I am wondering what can be done so that Excel files can be exchanged between the 2 operating systems? Clearly this must be a well known problem, but I have had no success stumbling on the answer. Thanks..................Dave The operating systems have nothing to do with the files. The files are created by Excel. There is no MS Vista version of Excel. There are severa...

How do I measure area under a line chart drawn in Excel file?
Can anyone please let me know "How do I measure area under a line chart drawn in Excel file?" See examples on my website using Trapezoid & Simpson's Rule. Bernard www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips "kp" <kp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F3BF4B4B-6030-45E1-B17E-50005FD9FBAB@microsoft.com... > Can anyone please let me know "How do I measure area under a line chart > drawn in Excel file?" I'm not aware of such a feature in the various chart menus, but you can calculate the area directly from the data used for th...

A 2nd version 2007 contact address book?
Is it possible to have two address books for contacts in Outlook 2007? If so, how to add..... Both are for personal use, one to maintain e-mail addresses seldom used and the other for daily use. I do not use enterprise, just ppo. tia shellyf wrote: > Is it possible to have two address books for contacts in Outlook 2007? > If so, how to add..... Both are for personal use, one to maintain > e-mail addresses seldom used and the other for daily use. Point to the Contacts folder. Right-click. Add new subfolder and name whatever you like. Now you have another contact-type folder. If ...

Non-existent recovered items
If I look in c:\users\lee\appdata\local\Microsoft\windows live mail\storage folders\recovered items I find 20 folders containing .nws files. Trying to open a file gives the message: The file ... could not be opened because it does not exist, or is being used by another application. (0x80004005, 1400) In WLMail there are no messages within Recovered Items and I can't remember seeing any for months. Does this mean something is wrong with the storage folders or should I just delete these in Windows Explorer? If you close WLM can you then double click an NWS fil...

Default PST File from registry info
Lately I've been trying to make a little software tool that would back up several information, on wich PST files are included. I know I may find cases on which there could be more than one profile and each of them having one or more .pst files. I searched everywhere but couldn't find some certain info on where the information about .pst files is stored. However, I found this vague information: There's a registry key in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles There is a key value named "Default Profile" with the name of the default profile (d'...

saving semicolon-delimited files
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Is Excel able to save files as semicolon-delimited? In article <59bae6aa.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>, sjguglielmo@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: Intel > > Is Excel able to save files as semicolon-delimited? Whatever app it is that wants semicolon-delim files: delete it and get something which conforms to universal standards. -- Team EM to the rescue! http://www.team-em.com sjguglielmo@officeformac.com wr...

Import multiple files to CRM
I'm new to CRM. Our company attaches many files to the notes section on each account (e.g., signed, scanned business plans, incentive amendments, etc.). My question: is there either 1) a way to drag and drop the attachment to the account notes section easily or 2) another way to more quickly add the attachments to the account, other than opening each account's notes and adding the file? Thanks, Cindy No these are the only ways this can be done using out of the box features. Hi Cindy, CRM's standard document management features are pretty poor - it's not really design...

Can PST file be import with OE V6?
I'm trying to import file from OUTLOOK 2000 (*.PST) into my new laptop with Outlook Express (V6). But whenever I choose OUTLOOK for import I get an error messages "Cannot import messages from MAPI client". This is even before I need to tell OE what&where the file is located. Does anybody know how I can import *.PST file into OE V6? Thanks, I no longer have the Outlook programe disk anymore (only *.PST file backup). Are there any other solution than to install Outlook to this new laptop? :) If not I guess I'll just have to buy Outlook again just to fix it :(...

Merging 2 files
Hi all, I have 2 workbooks that are similar to the structure below. Workbook 1 Workbook 2 ColA Col B ColC || ColA Col B ColC A Desciption of A 1 || A Desciptio of A 3 B Desciption of B 2 || C Desciptio of C 2 C Desciption of C 1 || D Desciptio of D 3 Is there any way that I can combine the two of these to resemble th following. ColA Col B ColC ColD A Descip...

CVS file only inserts commas for 15 lines of spread
Hi, I hava an user in Europe that is following the exact steps I am to covert a file to CSV format. When we open her file in word pad, only the first 15 lines of data have comms delimted. It happens every time regardless of how much data is in our spread. Any ideas on how to correct this? Thanks much! S I've never seen anything like this. If they reopen the .csv file in Excel, does it look ok? If they open the file in NotePad (not wordpad), does it look ok? My silly guess: I'm wondering if there is any special character in the data that is being used as an end of file marker....

Control for nested XML Data
I want to show the content of the xml with a control which allows to show the nodes in a nested way. I don't want to use DataGrid which shows the nodes in a tabular form. Is there any suitable control for me? Thanks. -- My C++ and C# ( Traditional Chinese ) Web Site : www.franzwong.com/Home.php Can you elaborate on your requirements? Is this for a web application or a desktop application? If it is for the web, then one way might be to display the XML in an IFRAME. The XML will appear just as it does when you load up an XML document using IE. You might also bind the XML to a treevi...

Sync mail files
I have a small network of 3 computers. Can I syncronize the Outlook.pst file so that any of the 3 machines will have access to all of the mail folders? Any clues will be welcomed. Gill gaffer <gaffergill@bellsouth.net> wrote: > I have a small network of 3 computers. Can I syncronize the > Outlook.pst file so that any of the 3 machines will have access to > all of the mail folders? See if something here helps: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm -- Brian Tillman ...

How to serialize correct XML headers
All, I am trying to generate the following header when serializing a class to XML <FpML version="4-0" xsi:type="TradeAffirmation" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.fpml.org/2003/FpML-4-0 fpml-main-4-0.xsd" xmlns="http://www.fpml.org/2003/FpML-4-0"> </FpML> The class is currently declared as: <System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeAttribute([Namespace]:="http://www.fpml.org/2003/FpML-4-0"), _ System.Xml.Serialization.XmlRootAttribute([DataType]:="TradeAffirmation&...

Saving multiple worksheets as independent files
I have a multiple worksheet workbook that on a regular basis would like to save as independent workbooks. Is there an easy way to do this vs. cutting & pasting into another workbook? Right-click the tab name, select Move or Copy, pick new book from the To Book dropdown, and either leave the Create a Copy checkbox unticked (move) or tick it (Copy). -- HTH RP "Hewlett" <Hewlett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:074AFD41-B2FB-448E-9ED9-44F103BB2EDF@microsoft.com... > I have a multiple worksheet workbook that on a regular basis would like to > save ...

Recover dbt file
Dear All, I'm using outlook express 6 . I've accidently deleted the sent items.dbx file and what i have now is a sentitems.dbt file is there any way to recover from it the dbx file Regards, A.El Gazzar Try posting this in an Outlook Express group - this group supports Outlook from Microsoft Office. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer. You can also try http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com for some good OE troubleshooting tips. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name her...

Item-Level Recover for Public Folders
Hi, i'm testing Exchange 2010 with SC DPM 2010 RC. For item-level restoring MS DPM suggest to use Recovery Database in Exchange 2010. It's works fine with Mailbox Databases. In Exchange we have limit to one Public Folder Mailbox Database. After backup is restoring to Recovery Database, it can not be mounted. If dismount Public Folder Database, Recovery Database bring mounted. Anybody have ideas to implement item-level restore for Exchange Public Folders? If you want to recover an item from a database to another database it is must that both of them need to ...

linked values not displayed unless source file open
i have an excel sheet with cells linked to cells in another seperate excel file. Excel will not show the values unless I have the source file open. this always used to work with the source file closed. Now the target file shows #value. this is a major nuisance if there are 7 or 8 linked files! please help. Sandy There are some worksheet functions that don't work with closed workbooks. =indirect(), =countif(), =sumif() are a few. If you share your formula, you may find that there's an alternative that you can use. Sandyc wrote: > > i have an excel sheet with cells l...

All of the sudden my file wont open cause the font is missing!
Ok, so this moring i got into my office and tryed to open my 71 page publisher document. When i left yesterday everything was perfect. Now today it says my font i was using Helvetica is no longer available and it asks if i'd like to change the font. I can to another font, but this is a communication going out to stores for the retail compnay i'm with and i'd like to use helvetica. Now when i open a new publisher document or word file, helvetica is indeed there. Why is it missing from this one file? I've NEVER seen this error. Helvetica was never installed with a Micros...