XML and Excel

Hi,

I am not familiar with Excel 2003's XML capabilities and looking for more information.  Is there a book or website somewhere that will provide some introductory materials on this subject?  I am particularly interested in Excel's exporting and importing capabilities of XML files.

Thanks in advance,

VT

There's information on the Microsoft site, for example:

   http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/xmloffice/default.aspx

   http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288215

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Excel 97 dropdown function box
The dropdown function box on the Formula Bar show formulas but will no longer show "More Functions". How can I get this item back? ...

generate report thru pracle to excell
Recently i upgraded to ms office 2003 since then I'm not able to generate reports thru oracle unto excell (online ). But when I log in an administrator in the local system I'm able to generate the report. the same does not happen with domain users ...

Vertical Header in Excel
Is there a way to make a header in excel run down the side of the spreadsheet (vertical header)? You can freeze panes so that certain columns are always visible. Is that what you meant? If yes, then make sure the column(s) that should be visible is showing. Then select the column to the right and window|Freeze Panes (in xl2003 menus) For instance if I wanted column A to be always visible, I would make sure column A is visible to start. Then select column B and window|freeze Panes. On 05/18/2010 09:09, Erika wrote: > Is there a way to make a header in excel run do...

finding the area under the curve in a graph in excel
Need help having excel calculate the total area under the curve of a graph in excel. Have a look at Bernard Liengme's website: http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/ HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Need help having excel calculate the total area under the curve of a graph in >excel. >. > ...

Excel 2003 file freezes laptop
I took a laptop away from the office and tried to open a large spreadsheet on the local C: drive. Each time I tried the laptop froze and had to be rebooted. When I connected back to the LAN at work, and opened the same file on the local C: drive I had no problems. What could cause this? If there is any corruption is there a way to decompile or something as you would in Access? Thanks, Mich ...

How to slant cells in Excel on top of chart at about 45 degrees
Trying to make a chart and slant cells at the top at about a 45 degree angle with borders and still be able to type into it. Is this possible? ckricci Wrote: > Trying to make a chart and slant cells at the top at about a 45 degree > angle > with borders and still be able to type into it. Is this possible? HI ckricci Try Format > Cells > Alignment Tab and set the Orientation to 45 degress -- Paul Sheppard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2...

Pasting Graphs as Pictures in Excel
In an attempt to save file size, I would like to use paste special to past Excel graphs as pictures within Excel. I know you can paste special as pictures within PPT, but is it possible to do it within Excel???? Not sure if that can be done, what I do is cop the graph, open mspaint paste, select it again copy and paste back into excel, it does it as an image -- -John Please rate when your question is answered to help us and others know what is helpful. "andy.hogan@gmail.com" wrote: > In an attempt to save file size, I would like to use paste special to > past Excel gra...

Displaying a dataset or datatable in Excel
There's something I think ought to be easy, but I can't find a way to do it. Either there's something wrong with the way I'm searching, or there's a reason it can't be done easily. What I want is to create an excel addin that, when the user opens a spreadsheet , it goes out and fetches some data from a database, and displays it in a table. Pretty straightforward. Here's some code: void Application_WorkbookOpen(Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbook wb) {//I've also attached this to other events. The "open" event isn't...

Syntax for Re-registration of Excell
Windows 2000, Excel v8. Does anyone know the syntax for re-registration with Windows? We get a file already open error every time we launch a SS without opening the app first. Had a similiar problem with Word and fixed it with Winword /r. Thanks! Hi first you may check: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > Windows 2000, Excel v8. Does anyone know the syntax for > re-registration with Windows? We get a file already open > error every time we launch a SS without opening t...

Data changes when Analyzed with Excel
I have a query with 3 tables that represent master item list, count qty and as qty. When I look at the results in Query, all is well and accurate yet when I select Analyze with Excel, values change. For example, if a record shows zero qty in the as of field and zero quantity in the count field, I get a value in one or both of the fields that origianlly were zero. Other than linking the tables and grouping by master item list (to show all parts regardless of qty's), there are no formulas or expressions in this query. One of the tables is linked to a FoxPro table via ODBC driver. ...

Recovery excel file
Anybody knows if there is any free tools to recover a advanced excel file (using macro, graphics, formulas, and several formats)???????? Tks, Marcelo Rayol ...

Printing in excel always comes out in bold even tho bold not on
When I print in excel my work always comes out in bold even though the bold is not switched on. Any suggestions?? It could be a printer setting. Does it print in bold from other applications? Regards, Fred "Scarlett50" <Scarlett50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF3BAEA1-4D22-449E-BB8F-31DD8855AF20@microsoft.com... > When I print in excel my work always comes out in bold even though the > bold > is not switched on. Any suggestions?? No only when I have to type a report in excel - the actual report is ok on other computers! but...

Powerpoint with Excel formatted information
My team has an excel file with Text and Icons in a status report format. We use it to copy and insert paste into Powerpoint. After copying into Powerpoint, I try to select it and edit but powerpoint gives an error that says: "There isn't enough memory available to read the Excel file" Other team members use this same excel template and powerpoint and they can edit the information after it is copied to powerpoint. And I can use their files and they work fine. Only one team member has this issue so somehow this person's excel file is using a massi...

how do I open excel workbook If i forget my workbook password
I made programm with a lot of formuals so I've put password on the workbook, because I did not wanted to earase formulas accidently,but now I can't open it because I forget the password. Thanks for help Hi search Google for 'Excel password remover' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "av8rart" <av8rart@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:D2443918-FEF4-41E6-92C4-9B19A293778A@microsoft.com... > I made programm with a lot of formuals so I've put password on the workbook, >...

Excel calculates wrong ????
I have had no luck figuring this out... I have a list of 8 positive and negative numbers that 2 decimal place each. The numbers sum to zero confirmed by a calculator, however exce sums them to (2.55654899E12). I do not know why excel calculates the with a small value left that is denoted by scientific notation. I checked the value of each number to ensure that it did not includ any extra decimals, and I even re-typed them. I have had this happen with several other lists of numbers that are n brainers to calculate, and excel added extra scientific notation to th total. I have no idea why ...

Output to excel ==> replace worksheet
Usually out to excel will replace a workbook.Can we make it to replace worksheet only.Thank's "shiro" <shiro@myname?.com> wrote in message news:umONlZiRIHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Usually out to excel will replace a workbook.Can we make it > to replace worksheet only.Thank's How about, just replacing the contents of a cell, or cells? Dim appXL As Object Dim wkb As Object Dim wks As Object Set appXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application") Set wkb = appXL.Workbooks.Open("C:\MyFolder\MyWorkBook.xls") Set wks = wkb.Worksheets(1) wks.Cell...

IN EXCEL, WHEN I CLICK ONA SINGLE CELL It HIGHLIGHTS WHOLE Page
please help Hi maybe: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:36180425-96C2-4368-9DE0-3E60741154FF@microsoft.com... > please help Just click on a cell and nothing else? Or perhaps you mean click on a cell then as you move the cursor around other cells are selected like the cursor is stuck? If the former, you must have some event code which selects the cells or you are clicking on the gray box at intersect of rows and columns(top left above ro...

Appending XML to an existing XML file
Hey all, I've read a few articles about speed and XML processing - so I just want to make sure that I'm using the right strategy for what I want to achieve. I have an XML file that I'm appending to every time a user submits their information. Right now I'm using XMLDocument (Load and Save) in conjuncture with XmlElement objects. Is this the right approach or is there a faster approach? Thanks, Novice PS Here is a simplified version of what I'm doing: XmlDocument xdoc = new XmlDocument(); xdoc.Load("results.xml"); XmlNode node = xdoc.SelectSingleNode("...

How to search against XML files in the file system?
Putting the search textbox on the page is the easy part. What's preferred way to find terms in XML files located on the file system? Like finding stuff saved in XML files some of the blogs use these days to store their blog items? There can be lots and lots and lots of XML files on the file system to search. -- <%= Clinton Gallagher NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com/ clintonG wrote: > Putting the search textbox on the page is the easy part. What's preferred > way to find terms in XML files located ...

excel v4
Does anyone know when Version 4 of Excel was introduced and/or retired http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/index.htm -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:042201c39e64$4f4d9ab0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know when Versi...

help with Excel Chart, Series name
Hello, I am using ORACLE OLE2 package to print a series bar graph in excel. I need to rename "Series Name" that comes out in as a char in excel. By defual the series are names as Series1, Series2, Series3,.....SeriesN. How can I access the handle to "Series Name" which help me change its name. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks you, Bilal Bilal, Manally, you do this with Chart - Source data - Series tab. There's a series name box. Select the series to be edited in the drop-down at the left first. It may have a cell reference currently in it, or you can...

Excel spradsheet automation help
there are 3 sheets in an excel spreadsheet say the names are 1,2 AND3 layouts ar ethere for all 3 sheets. the first sheet is used as input and based on certain fields/columns in the first sheet i need to populate entries in the second and 3 rd sheet. teh main purpose is taht based on the first sheet the 2 and 3 sheet should be automatically filled. wat kind of formula / macro should i be using .. im new to this and jsut know to create macro. CAn anybody help ON either Sheet 2 or Sheet 3, you can put this formula in any cell and it will return whatever value is in cell A1 on sheet 1. =Sh...

Active X control in Excel 2003
I have is=nstalled a pen pad on my pc which usies an active x control in Excel to enable me to draw in it. Everytime I start Excel it asks me if I was to run this Active X control. Is there a way of stopping it asking me every time? Thanks Shane Excel 2003, Windows XP home Hi, I think if you lowered your security level, it wouldn't ask, but I wouldn't recommend doing so. It prevents unauthorized and possibly dangerous macros from running and causing damage. I'd put up with the nuisance. jeff >-----Original Message----- >I have is=nstalled a pen pad on my pc which usi...

XML: pros and cons ?
Hello everyone, I'd like to know which are the main pros and cons of using XML implementation in business organizations. >From a technical perspective, I find XML powerful, but looks like it is being pushed more from technical people than from businessmen... So, some questions: 1. Pros and cons 2. Main and most trustable effective uses of XML in real industrial companies and corporates ? 3. Any indications on costs and ROI, TCO ? Thank you so much in advance ! Andrea wrote: > Hello everyone, > I'd like to know which are the main pros and cons of using XML > impleme...