wrap a row

Sorry if this is redundant, but I'm looking for a way print a row in
excel and have it wrap to 2 lines (not wrap text within a cell). An
example would be a spread sheet with 6 columns. The first 5 are simple
columns of proj, task, lead, strt, end. Column 6 is a detl text box. I
would like column 6 to be printed under the first 5 columns:

Entered as:

proj   task    lead     strt     end    detl
c111   1001    john   01/01/04 02/28/04 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
                                        bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
                                        cccccccccccccccccc

Printed as:
proj   task    lead     start     end
                    detl
c111   1001    john   01/01/04 02/28/04

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
bcccccccccccccccccc

Hopefully, the examples line up, but if not, in the first example the
line of abcs should be under the detl column. In the second they are
spread across the width of columns 1 - 5.
0
jpadavic (1)

For the most part Excel tries to print data exactly as it appears on screen.
So I think you'll have to find a why to temporarily move the data before you
print.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

0
jrrech (1933)
1/15/2004 8:14:58 PM
This might work - you could have the cell in the 'proj' column be equal to
the cell with the aaaaaaa etc in.  Then merge and wrap the cell (select all
5 cells, cell, format, alignment tab, select merge and wrap).  If detl
column is not wrapped and is only wide enough to print the 02/28/04 and not
the aaaa etc, this may give you what you want.
Barbara.

"y a duck" <jpadavic@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Sorry if this is redundant, but I'm looking for a way print a row in
> excel and have it wrap to 2 lines (not wrap text within a cell). An
> example would be a spread sheet with 6 columns. The first 5 are simple
> columns of proj, task, lead, strt, end. Column 6 is a detl text box. I
> would like column 6 to be printed under the first 5 columns:
>
> Entered as:
>
> proj   task    lead     strt     end    detl
> c111   1001    john   01/01/04 02/28/04 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>                                         bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
>                                         cccccccccccccccccc
>
> Printed as:
> proj   task    lead     start     end
>                     detl
> c111   1001    john   01/01/04 02/28/04
>
> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
> bcccccccccccccccccc
>
> Hopefully, the examples line up, but if not, in the first example the
> line of abcs should be under the detl column. In the second they are
> spread across the width of columns 1 - 5.

0
not8921 (82)

Display Row Number in Datasheet View
Can someone tell me how I can display the row numbers in a datasheet view when a query is run? I have looked and looked and can not figure out where and how I can do that. I just want it to display like a spreadsheet would with the row and column numbers. On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:07:02 -0800, garvic82 <garvic82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can someone tell me how I can display the row numbers in a datasheet view >when a query is run? I have looked and looked and can not figure out where >and how I can do that. I just want it to display like a spreadsheet ...

shading rows with condtl fromat.
what would be the formula using conditional formating to shade 4 row then skip 4 rows, etc -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com See www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm for example formulas. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "matmich >" <<matmich.15f823@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:matmich.15f823@excelforum-nospam.com... > what would be the formula using conditional formating to shade 4 rows > then skip 4 rows, etc. > > > --- > Message posted from http://ww...

Moving Columns to Rows
Is there any easy way I can achieve the following without a very laborious route of manually copying and pasting loads of data? I have a large spreadsheet of users and their software applications. It has been prepared with the first column being used for the user's name and subsequent columns each representing an application name. There is one row per user with a figure 1 in each column that represents an application the user has. I want to change that so that every user and application is on a row of its own. Thus if a user has 6 applications there will be 6 rows. The first part bel...

calculating row by row
I would like to have Excel total the sum of a row 5 of randomly generated numbers in a 6th column, one column at a time. I have no problem generating the random numbers and totalling them but I would like to generate the first number and place it in the total column then when I initiate it generate the second number, add this to the first and place it in the total and so on to the 5th column. Is this possible? Many thanks. Unless I'm missing something here, this formula should do it for you. This is for row 2 on the sheet, and would go into cell F2 =SUM(A2:E2) That formula will &q...

Move a row to a different sheet, dependant upon cell value
We have just set up an Excel based "Issues Log" to record issues arising against projects currently in progress. The Issues log has two worksheets, Issues and Completed Issues and each issue has several fields, one of which is its current Status. What I would like to achieve is, when the status is set to Complete (from a Data/Validation drop-down list), the Issue in question is moved to the Completed Issues worksheet. I have seen several items describing how to run a macro based on a cell value, but they all seem quite specific in the cell they are looking at. Is there a way to bas...

Word Wrap #2
My word wraps at 102. How can I change that. I am using outlook 2003 in Office ...

Grouping Rows
I want to use the group and outline functionality to group sets of rows, but instead of the bottom row of the group showing when I collapse the group, I want the top row to show. This is because each of the items below the top row are the elements of the group and the top row is the header. Can this be done with the Excel grouping functionality? Thanks. Data|Group and Outline|Settings Uncheck that Summary Rows below detail sfarkas2006@gmail.com wrote: > > I want to use the group and outline functionality to group sets of > rows, but instead of the bottom row of the group showin...

Wrap text function does not work on all cells
My wrap text function does not work in all cells. The issue is this: - It will wrap text for about 20 lines then the last line of the cell will not wrap. Cannot figure out what causes the sudden reason that the wrap text function will not continue working in the cell. Try adding some alt-enters to your text to force new lines within the cell. You can usually see more of the contents that way. deer777 wrote: > > My wrap text function does not work in all cells. The > issue is this: > > - It will wrap text for about 20 lines then the last line > of the cell will n...

changing thickness of Excel row and column headers
By this I mean the gray A through IV and 1 through 65535 on the edge of all worksheets. I haven't discovered a way to reproduce this on demand but it very definitely happens: some workbooks show thicker headings (BOTH) than others. If you haven't experienced this yourself there's no need to read further. You might see it if you open a half dozen workbooks created over a long span of time. http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=32415&highlight= seems to describe the problem exactly, if that helps... I recognize that the row number heading expands as you cross row 100...

Master Sheet Row Insertion
I have a master list that is linked to 5 other Team worksheets. Team 1: Rows 1 - 50 Team 2: Rows 51 - 100 Team 3: Rows 101 - 150 Team 4: Rows 151 - 200 Team 5: Rows 201 - 250 Now some of the teams need more record space and I need a Macro that inserts rows to the end of each team row allocation as follows: Check if there are less than 10 empty rows between Teams. Yes: Add rows to maintain 20 free rows between Teams No: Do not do anyhting. My current problem is that my macro adds the rows at the specific row where the macro was created. Let us say I created the Macro when Row 35 was em...

Importing a text file into Excel with too many rows?
My boss needs me to import a text file into Excel that contains too many rows for one worksheet to handle. All of the tips I've been able to find regarding using Data Import Wizard have to do with dealing with too many columns, not too many rows. How can I fix this problem? Thanks! Hi Nexan, You could, perhaps use the following MS macro: Sub LargeFileImport() '--------=============================== ' See: MSKB # 120596 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;120596 '===================================== 'Dimension Variables Dim ResultStr ...

Copy data from one column across one row....
Hey guys, I would like to take one column of data and copy it across one row., so, I want the data to go left to right across the spreadsheet instead of top to bottom. If you have a suggestion to solve this, macro or whatever, could you please email it to me at: krea@dslextreme.com thanks, kevin rea asked in excel -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com <krea@dslextreme.com> wrote in message news:107rliascplaf51@corp.supernews.com... > Hey guys, > > I would like to take one column of data and copy it across one row., > so, I want the data to go left to ri...

copying and pasting with hidden rows
I insert subtotals to my worksheet. I want to copy this, meaning just the subtotals excluding the hidden rows, how do I do this? thanks, del Use the outlining symbols (to the left) to hide the details (only show the subtotals). Then select what you want to copy Edit|goto|special check visible cells only edit|copy go to the new sheet edit|paste arcticale wrote: > > I insert subtotals to my worksheet. I want to copy this, meaning just the > subtotals excluding the hidden rows, how do I do this? > > thanks, > del -- Dave Peterson thanks. that works. "Dave Peter...

Re: Change datalabel font size for all chartobjects in a row
I get error like "Size method not allowed by Font object" for this code. Can sombodey help me? /Regards ----- "John Green" <greenj@spam.net.au> skrev i meddelandet news:e60uYYezEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Try the following: Sub SetFonts() Application.EnableEvents = False Application.ScreenUpdating = False Dim chtobj As ChartObject Dim scol As Series Dim dl As DataLabel For Each chtobj In ActiveSheet.ChartObjects For Each scol In chtobj.Chart.SeriesCollection For Each dl In scol.datalabels With dl.Font ...

Apply a simple formula to multiple rows?
Hello Esteemed Gurus :-) I have a formula for rows in the form =A10*DJ+E10*HJ+I10*LJ+M10*PJ+Q10*TJ The J is a variable that represents the row and there are over 100 rows, so it would be extremely boring to have to input this formula on every line. I'm exhausted after doing just 10 ;-) X(J)=A10*D(J)+E10*H(J)+I10*L(J)+M10*P(J)+Q10*T(J), J= Jstart, Jend ???, where X is the column of results??? Tried =SUM(A10*D+E10*H+I10*L+H10*P+Q10*T) on col X but no success. Any shortcuts? TIA rf Have a look at HELP index for INDIRECT -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "...

Extra row in CTE
Hi, I have a table (#qed_missing_quarters) with the following rows in it: row_num quarter_end_date 1 2002-09-30 00:00:00.000 2 2002-12-31 00:00:00.000 3 2003-03-31 00:00:00.000 4 2003-06-30 00:00:00.000 5 2003-09-30 00:00:00.000 And I have the following code as a test to traverse across the table: ;WITH qed_missing_values(row_num, quarter_end_date) AS ( SELECT row_num AS [row_num], quarter_end_date AS [quarter_end_date] FROM #qed_missing_quarters WHERE row_num = 1 UNION ALL SELECT a.row_num + 1, a.quarter_end_date FROM #qed_missing_quarters AS a INNER JOIN ...

Enumerating SQL Server database tables rows and sprocs using MFC
Hi, I've been looking around for a while now after an efficient way to enumerate tables, rows and sprocs of a MsSQL database. The best I could come up with was SQL DMO, but one cannot have it installed without installing SQL Server itself or MSDE, so I'm looking for alternative. After a table name was fetched, I will need to know the rows it contains, what type they are, and what are the indexes and identity defined for this table. Effectively, if I could somehow get the CREATE SQL statement from the DB itself that would be ideal. Also, I will need a way to get the sprocs code ...

CLIstCtrl in icon view, the first row is at too high
Hello, I am using a CListCtrl derived class to display a set of icons to user where she/he could select an item. Otherwise everything is OK, but the first row is at too high. Especially when I am using the extended style LVS_EX_BORDERSELECT, the upper part of the selection border is cut out completely. Does anyone know how to make the icons to be drawn a bit lower in control? Thanks, Vesa ...

how to sort the rows based on data in one column

Update Query and Too Many Rows
I have 700 records I want to update. When I view the the data sheet view of the query, it looks correct, but when I actually run the query, I get a message that I am about to update 800 rows. Why is it going to update 100 more rows than I specified? On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:34:05 -0800, mwilsonh <mwilsonh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have 700 records I want to update. When I view the the data sheet view of >the query, it looks correct, but when I actually run the query, I get a >message that I am about to update 800 rows. Why is it going to update 100 ...

Need Macro- Insert rows based on dates and copy info from that row
I need a macro that will insert a number of blank rows based on the number of months between a start and end date and then copy the information in the reference row to the new blank rows. repeat for each start and end date sequence. The records are over 8,350.. so ill also need some idea how to get it to stop when it fills the worksheet so i can transfer those into another workbook Assuming start date in column A, end date in column B Public Sub ProcessData() Dim i As Long Dim LastRow As Long Dim NumRows As Long With ActiveSheet LastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Co...

Adding rows of data based on first column
Not sure if I worded that correctly. Here's what I need to do: I have sales data for a month that is listed individually by date and item number. I need to go through the entire workbook and find each occurance of each item and add together the number of items ordered. Here is an example: Item TotalOrdered 119 1 121 1 121 1 121 1 182 1 182 1 206 1 206 1 223 1 589 1 589 1 As you can see, item 121 had 3 ordered, 589 had 2 ordered. Is there a formula I can use to do this automatically? Thanks. -- Excel Noobie Look in the help index for COUNTIF -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel Sales...

max number of wrap/turns in text wrapping?
After 31 turns, the text wrapping decides not wrap any more, the last line keeps go out to the right and become hidden. Although when i click on it to enter more text, it wraps correctly but as soon as I click on somewhere else it goes back to the old state (not correct wrapping). Is there a way to make it wrap correctly or maybe there is a max number of turns a cell can support? thanks!! Have you tried using <Alt> <Enter> at appropriate places within the cell? -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all ...

Returning Column Header based on Row and Value
Hi All, I've run into a problem trying to return a value from the header row based on locating a row value and a subsequent value within that row to define the column header needed. For example in the confusing example below imagine that the top row " A B C D" is the column headers and the column 1 "A B C D" is the row labels i've assigned. Given values of "C" and "D" I'd like to write a formula that searches down column 1 for "C" and then looks across the row for value "D" and returns the value of the column header &qu...

can you group together rows to remain intact while sorting?
I have a list which needs to consilidated with another and then sorted chronologically. I neede to lock or group together certain set of rows please i am way past my deadline......thanks Add a helper column Put numbers in this column Row that must stay together, give same number Use this as the first sort key best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "justusmomm" <justusmomm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C12FBC3E-09B1-44C4-B187-0E31092C320A@microsoft.com... >I have a list which needs ...